Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ArtIsResistance posted:

No you won't this is a dumbass goon overreaction

Just because it's too stupid to believe and hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it's an exaggeration. These kinds of people 100% exist and you WILL encounter them more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Emalde posted:

Just because it's too stupid to believe and hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it's an exaggeration. These kinds of people 100% exist and you WILL encounter them more than once.

Had a tank ragequit on Tuesday because I was in Cleric Stance.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Mango Polo posted:

Are there any guides on how to handle a healing job with a controller? I'm pretty tempted to dip back into FF14 with the new patch and level AST, and somehow the controllers looks... daunting. For healing.

It's not that bad. I used this old 2.0 guide to get an idea for a controller layout, then went on from there. I have my controller set up so that my single target heals are on my left trigger face buttons and aoe heals are on my right trigger face buttons. Cooldowns/cards are on the left directional buttons, and esuna/additional cooldowns are on the right. I have a cleric stance macro on right triangle that swaps between damage and healing hotbars and puts on/takes off cleric stance. The triggers have less-used cooldowns, Sprint and Limit Break. I also have stuff that I rarely cast/change (for example, Protect) on another hotbar that I'll swap to for a moment, cast the one or two spells that I need, then swap back.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I main a healer and have yet to been yelled at for using cleric stance except for when I first started and forgot to turn it off while healing, which is a legit grievance that taught me. I'm sure those people exist that rage quit at the sight of it (just like healers that quit when they tanks with STR instead of VIT gear) but it's few and far between.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

I just for the life of me can't figure out why people get salty over healers doing DPS. Doing DPS is my criterium for giving healers a commendation.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Philonius posted:

I just for the life of me can't figure out why people get salty over healers doing DPS. Doing DPS is my criterium for giving healers a commendation.

They either probably don't know their own health-to-damage thresholds to survive certain attacks, or have no faith that any healer would know as well. So they expect to be at 100% all the time. That or they're the kind of idiots that won't use cooldowns until bosses but expect healers to use all theirs on trash at all times, so when they come across a healer that expects them to use CDs on trash like any sane person they end up dying.

Either way, it's the tanks fault.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 26, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

also meanwhile:
https://vine.co/v/iz0xgFeQ3eT

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

Someone is salty at me :qq:

Grow some fuckin' skin!

:gb2gbs:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
People have kicked for shadewalking tanks cause it's rude. People had to glam their atmas or hide them until the last possible moment. People in this game are actually the worst at video games and will go out of their way to gently caress you if you don't play at their terrible level and treat it as a social game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Philonius posted:

Because if you're doing DPS then you're not healing ME, the supreme alpha tank that you sorry losers can't do anything without. Turn off cleric stance or I'm going to stop tanking this Sastasha, you loving scrubs. Know you're place healbitch.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I run pretty much everything as Scholar and I can only really remember getting yelled at once for using Cleric, and it was from some dork who I asked to stop big pulling in LLDR when nobody in the party except me had AoE.

Hell, I'm too lazy to do the switching Protect vs Cleric Stance thing and nobody cares aside from sometimes asking "prot?" at the start.

I really want to know what people are doing to meet these weird gang stalking groups who boot people for turning Cleric on or having relics equipped or whatever

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ryanbomber posted:

I run pretty much everything as Scholar and I can only really remember getting yelled at once for using Cleric, and it was from some dork who I asked to stop big pulling in LLDR when nobody in the party except me had AoE.

Hell, I'm too lazy to do the switching Protect vs Cleric Stance thing and nobody cares aside from sometimes asking "prot?" at the start.

I really want to know what people are doing to meet these weird gang stalking groups who boot people for turning Cleric on or having relics equipped or whatever

The first time I encountered it, it was just a random Syrcus Tower. The other Scholar in my group asked me to start stoneskinning instead of DPSing. I told him off in alliance and the rest of the alliance started agreeing with him :wtc:

Not many people actively hold it, but there's a lot of people who passively hold that viewpoint.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ryanbomber posted:

I never bother with this, CS is in my number one slot because a) it only matters for Sastasha and Tam-Tara, b) nothing in those dungeons comes even close to hitting hard enough to merit it, and c) there's almost always some doofus in my party who has it cross-classed. People still get salty over not having that 10% extra defense.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Niton posted:

The first time I encountered it, it was just a random Syrcus Tower. The other Scholar in my group asked me to start stoneskinning instead of DPSing. I told him off in alliance and the rest of the alliance started agreeing with him :wtc:

Not many people actively hold it, but there's a lot of people who passively hold that viewpoint.

That's why you don't get CNJ to 34.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Chairman posted:

The new Diadem meta is just going to be 3 groups of 3 parties each all farming low-rank mobs on neighboring islands instead of 9 parties all huddled on top of each other so I don't really think it's going to be anything but a lateral move

Few pages back but yeah this was their design intent on the first place. For once an mmo dev team underestimated people's desire to act collectively and not antagonize others. As long as they're DoW or DoM anyway.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Everytime I did LDR for dungeons below 50, I never turned off cleric stance for my SCH, and let Selene heal, unless the tank was super bad and caused me or the DPSes to become the tanks. No one complained, because using rouse to have Selene heal stronger for big pulls does the trick.

Edit: Amazon and Newegg are doing sales on ARR and Heavensward for some pretty good deals, just so you all know!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Ryanbomber posted:

The only time I've ever encountered this was that one loony DPS I mentioned earlier in the thread, and they were the ones who got kicked for that, so it was pretty much a positive outcome.

Heck, I've messed up my timing/damage prediction and gotten tanks murdered from time to time on a pull that was legitimately my fault. Never had anyone throw a fit over it, I apologize and just play it more cautious the second go around and everything works out fine.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You can partially blame the game for people acting dumb about str tanks and cleric healers. Wow has more defined roles (healers don't really dps and tanks wear tank gear)which leads to less of this. Same for other mmos. They're still retarded though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And it's borne out by the game, too. Just went back and re-watched the cutscenes, it's quite obvious when you're looking for it that Linu Vali is doing a stiff-legged female version.

Dunno why it looks so much more fluid when the NPC does it, though.

I had noticed that but I figured she just lacked confidence in the power of her dance until she got going. :shobon:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
The Square Enix store has the Heavensward PS4 expansion for half off today, if you don't have it or want to get it for a second system. PC for some reason isn't discounted atm.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The Square Enix store has the Heavensward PS4 expansion for half off today, if you don't have it or want to get it for a second system. PC for some reason isn't discounted atm.

Amazon has the bundle on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UO...lleL&ref=plSrch

Newegg has Heavensward on sale too:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=32-166-189

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I want it but it looks like it won't work on the Steam version.

Edit - Looks like I bought it on Amazon as a download and just use it through Steam now? I completely forget how I ended up using it on Steam.

advion fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 26, 2015

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Asking for a friend, if you buy the ARR+HW bundle, can you ignore the ARR part of it and only apply HW to your account? The bundle is on sale over here but not the expansion by itself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How much damage reduction does Bulwark roughly give? I'm trying to figure out where it should go in my defensive cooldown rotation. So far it seems to be Sentinel > Rampart > Foresight > Awareness?

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

ApplesandOranges posted:

How much damage reduction does Bulwark roughly give? I'm trying to figure out where it should go in my defensive cooldown rotation. So far it seems to be Sentinel > Rampart > Foresight > Awareness?

With a 210 Gordian Shield, it makes you go from blocking 29% of damage 17% of the time, to blocking 29% of damage 77% of the time. This raises your average shield mitigation from 4.93% to 22.33%, about +17%.

With a 210 Prytwen, it makes you go from blocking 22% of damage 22% of the time, to blocking 22% of damage 82% of the time. This raises your average shield mitigation from 4.84% to 18.04%, about +13%.

Towers are now much, much better, due to no STR increases from block (this was the primary reason that bucklers and kites were best in ARR), and the effects of Bulwark and Sheltron.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I kicked a healer in EXDR last night for not using Cleric Stance. Balance has been restored.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Whizbang posted:

I kicked a healer in EXDR last night for not using Cleric Stance. Balance has been restored.

I wanna know the details here. I thought kicking someone for their playstyles was against the rules.

Demicol posted:

Asking for a friend, if you buy the ARR+HW bundle, can you ignore the ARR part of it and only apply HW to your account? The bundle is on sale over here but not the expansion by itself.

HW is on sale for 50% off on newegg, that might be a better option.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Not American, as far as I know you can't use codes cross-region.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Stufoo posted:

With a 210 Gordian Shield, it makes you go from blocking 29% of damage 17% of the time, to blocking 29% of damage 77% of the time. This raises your average shield mitigation from 4.93% to 22.33%, about +17%.

With a 210 Prytwen, it makes you go from blocking 22% of damage 22% of the time, to blocking 22% of damage 82% of the time. This raises your average shield mitigation from 4.84% to 18.04%, about +13%.

Towers are now much, much better, due to no STR increases from block (this was the primary reason that bucklers and kites were best in ARR), and the effects of Bulwark and Sheltron.

Should also be noted that the 205 Thordan shield is a tower as well, blocks 29%

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

seiferguy posted:

I wanna know the details here. I thought kicking someone for their playstyles was against the rules.

:lol:

SE's official stances towards votekick issues is to not get involved.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

seiferguy posted:

If you think the GMs of this game give any amount of fucks about anything players do to each other or their system you haven't been playing. They only exist to refund items and give stern warnings against spamming racial slurs in chat for 18 hours.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They take death threats reasonably seriously.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

hobbesmaster posted:

They take death threats reasonably seriously.

I don't know if that's true. I once knew someone who sent a death threat to someone via tell and were definitely reported for it and they never heard anything from a GM about it.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The forum moderators also take their job very seriously, as i got banned for posting a screenshot of 4 mining bots all stuck on the same bit of geometry, and someone else got banned for this post: http://www.scribd.com/doc/291071149/FFXIV-and-the-Feel-of-Decline-Regarding-the-Content-of-the-Game for "Slandering Square Enix"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

seiferguy posted:

They were sitting there doing nothing for 75% of the pull, so kicked for AFK.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

megalodong posted:

The forum moderators also take their job very seriously, as i got banned for posting a screenshot of 4 mining bots all stuck on the same bit of geometry, and someone else got banned for this post: http://www.scribd.com/doc/291071149/FFXIV-and-the-Feel-of-Decline-Regarding-the-Content-of-the-Game for "Slandering Square Enix"

My friend was perma banned for quoting a kill screenshot of a alex savage turn, presumably because said screenshot had a mini parse in it. I heard that they outsource moderation of the forums so it makes sense they are complete robots but it's nice to consider that the lunatics left unbanned are the dev's primary source of feedback for this game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The official forums are a hive of scum and villainy any way you look at it. Every so often you see a kernel of interest in the form of a post by Fernhalwes or Corvinoobus, but 99% of the posts by the actual players are poo poo. Corvinoobus recently made an interesting thread about the changes between the EN and JP versions of Haurchefant, and the thread gradually devolved into a single Tumblr user doing everything they could to complain about dumb bullshit.

Don't know why I even bother, god damnnnnn

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The only good thread on the forums is the Show your Roe thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

So I absolutely loved FFXI back in my college days. My wife and I even played it together for several years after college. But these days we have a kid and our lives are busy so I don't have time to wait around for 30+ minutes for a party invite, spend 15 minutes getting to camp, and then spend an hour or more just to get a reasonable amount of XP. We quit playing just after the last expansion (seekers of something or other) came out. I really loved the combat style in FFXI and I also really loved playing PLD (and people told me I was quite good at it). I have tried WoW and I really like WoWs casual design but the graphical style is rather off putting and combat in WoW is a bit more fast paced than I would like. (Maybe WoWs combat slows down a bit in end game, I am not max level in WoW so I don't know.)

Is FFXIV similar enough to FFXI that I might enjoy it? I have done some reading and it looks like a much more casual game that can be played in short 20-30 minutes spurts instead of needing to devote 2+ hours to the game at a time. That is exactly what I am looking for. But is the combat a similar style of game play as FFXI? Or is it just frantic button mashing and set in stone spell/ability rotations like WoW?

• Locked thread