Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

I really like stronghold. There's no possible way to balance both it and conquest using the same classes/stats, so you can just cut loose

I definitely see it's impossible to balance, that's fine by me though, it's resulted in some awesome loving fights and the mixup from conquest is such a fun relief. It's the only PvP I want to do right now.

kater posted:

PvP sucks now that Courtyard is gone.

It is?? I never even noticed....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I do like Stronghold, it's just "eh."

I believe Tempests could be super strong, I just never see them in matches. Then again maybe I have and just not noticed, ArenaNet still hasn't changed PvP Icons to reflect Elites which seems a bit :psyduck:. I've been running a Soldier Scrapper build that works really well for me. I'm reminded now that I did run into a Druid on a pub Spirit Watch match who was so tanky we fought at a stalemate for nearly 4 minutes. Dragonhunters are also very annoying to fight when they take the trait that makes every arrow interrupt.

At the end of the day I just want more maps, and HoT actually managed to take one away :negative:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

At the end of the day I just want more maps, and HoT actually managed to take one away :negative:

I'm ridiculously excited for Wintersday primarily because of snowball fight because it's a different pvp map/game mode compared to the usual... :negative:

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Anyone who isn't in full celestial is a detriment to the team.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

mind the walrus posted:

Dragonhunters are also very annoying to fight when they take the trait that makes every arrow interrupt.
DH only knocks back with arrow when shot inside 300 range (trait), but it has cooldown of 10 seconds. Traps daze first time they're triggered (trait). Also Spear of Justice can pull back enemy hit with it.

Mazreal posted:

Anyone who isn't in full celestial is a detriment to the team.
It's nice to have mix of raw and condition damage while having better vitality, toughness and heal, but there are exceptions like Power Herald and DH (however these builds can survive long). But yes, going full Power or Condition just doesn't work out except for couple of builds.

e: That being said, having a build that can survive against burst and condition pressure is important. Then it's having some CC.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 26, 2015

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

mind the walrus posted:

What's the current thread's opinion on PvP?

I'm digging it for the most part although the Elites bring in so many forms of interrupt that fights can get annoying. I am starting to really hate Reapers just because fighting 2 or more on an opposing team means I'm going to be spending 75% of the match suffering from Chill even with ample condi-cleanse. Weirdly enough I never see Tempests or Zerkers, and only the occasional Druid/Daredevil. Still the d/d Ele meta is broken, so overall it's a win. Stronghold is still pretty "eh."

PvP is still the best part of the game, and it's mostly survived just because they didn't really do much to it in the expansion. The elites are generally more powerful than the base classes but hey ho there's still options. Zerkers and Daredevils are really just not very good so their classes haven't survived the elite spec power creep as well as everyone else. Tempests are okay but not really super great. I'm surprised more people don't run Druid. D/d isn't quite what it was which is nice, but I do play DH mostly so maybe I'm just not noticing it because I have lots of damage.

Stronghold is a mess because it's just attacking doors and poo poo and no-one has really spent that much time figuring it out which is fine for some people but my major failing is I actually like esport in this game so it's not really my thing. It's just kind of jumbled and I don't know where and when to fight, not that people seem to do it anyway, and none of my esports idols have shown me what to do. I unticked the box and don't have the deal with it. I wish I could untick the spirit watch box too, gently caress that map I want ranked back so I don't have to deal with it.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
The hardest part of PvP for me is trying to decide what to play. Scrapper is super fun, as is Aurashare Tempest. DH is silly as well. My Warrior though lies un-played for the most part

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I played some dragonhunter stronghold a bit lately and actually really liked it. Whoops.

Conquest is still super boring to me, I really want more game modes, maybe some capture the flag, etc

I like stronghold and have played it like 100-150 times, but it's really imbalanced. Support/Cele Tempests are a guaranteed win and classes with good sources of stability (at least 8 stacks over 10 seconds) are generally much better than others.

It's also way too easy to defend with Cele anything, which often makes matches (when decent players are involved) a 15 minutes slog and the winner whoever has more points.

I still have a 75% solo win rate with a Marauder Revenant, though. Knowing how to play the map makes a pretty big difference.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 26, 2015

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Thief is in a better spot in SPvP than previously anticipated. It's not amazing, but you can get results with specific Staff builds.

The bigger problem, of course, is overtuned specs that crowd out the reasonably well balanced ones. Dragonhunter and Tempest are big offenders there.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

AmericanGeeksta posted:

The hardest part of PvP for me is trying to decide what to play. Scrapper is super fun, as is Aurashare Tempest. DH is silly as well. My Warrior though lies un-played for the most part
Yeah Warrior is pretty much dead, as well as Power Ranger. I've been playing both past couple of days but they both lack burst damage to do a thing.

Amante posted:

Thief is in a better spot in SPvP than previously anticipated. It's not amazing, but you can get results with specific Staff builds.
Vault/Bound Staff Thief with Daredevil rune. Every time you successfully dodge you get free 100% crit chance from rune, which you can immediately use on Vault for 5~8k crit damage :v: It just can't survive for long though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the elite spec system was probably one of the best things introduced with the expansion, honestly. in the future when we theoretically have more elite specs for each class i really think it'll shine. just needs some balance tuning so that the core class by itself isn't just entirely outmatched or anything, and it'll be good.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

when we theoretically have more elite specs for each class

Yup. There will totally be more elite specs. Keep telling yourself that.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

tarbrush posted:

:psyduck:

Of course there will, it's ANet's (actually pretty good) solution for a way to spice up each class with expansions.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think there's a real issue of whether they balance for PvP as a team queue competitive game or a fun kick around with mates. Communication, co-ordination and experience playing together gives a team a much better idea of what it can do, and therefore where to go and when and who to fight in what manner. In solo queue you don't really have any of that, and support becomes less valuable, while DPS becomes more valuable because it's basically the kill things before they kill you zerker meta over again. There's more druid and tempest in esports than in solo queue, but less dragonhunter. Until they decide they want one or the other they're kind of left trying not to gently caress up either and not really improving much without screwing something else up.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kenshin posted:

Of course there will, it's ANet's (actually pretty good) solution for a way to spice up each class with expansions.
Or alternatively they'll do their normal thing and ignore the stuff they added in favour of the next new big thing.

I'm sincerely hopeful we'll get more elite specs and the first three wings of the raid won't be the only ones ever introduced but I'm also a realist.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kenshin posted:

I like your optimism about Anet following through and keeping true to their word, reminds me of a more innocent time :smith:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Aesis posted:

Yeah Warrior is pretty much dead, as well as Power Ranger. I've been playing both past couple of days but they both lack burst damage to do a thing.

Playing a dragonhunter there is nothing sadder than some poor sap ranger trying to shoot back at you.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
What are the chances of HoT going on sale for black friday?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pretty low I'd imagine. If HoT had dropped in summer or something then maybe, but it's barely been a month.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
[quote="Liberatore" post=""453184"]
I still have a 75% solo win rate with a Marauder Revenant, though. Knowing how to play the map makes a pretty big difference.
[/quote]

This.

I watch a lot of streams, mostly Chaithh and Phantaram, and so I understand better than most at my MMR level how to play the map. I've taken to tell people to go far before the match starts, otherwise I'll have 4 people go for home point and I'll be the only one going far.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I've taken to tell people to go far before the match starts

:negative:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

kes "GO FAR" ferdinand

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Sorry? :confused:

Edit: that was supposed to say "mid" not far. What the hell autocorrect.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tarbrush posted:

it's an incredibly easy way for them to add content to each class. i'm pretty sure that at least half of the specs were being developed live during the beta weekends. the hard part is putting together a theme, and after that it's not much to get it added in a workable fashion.

so yeah, if someone honestly thinks they're just going to magically forget about it then they're being dumb for the sake of doing another boring 'lol anet is lazy' joke when there's actual other things that they're lazy as hell about.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

AmericanGeeksta posted:

This.

I watch a lot of streams, mostly Chaithh and Phantaram, and so I understand better than most at my MMR level how to play the map. I've taken to tell people to go far before the match starts, otherwise I'll have 4 people go for home point and I'll be the only one going far.

I see the opposite more often, people go mid and far and no one gets home.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Sorry? :confused:

Edit: that was supposed to say "mid" not far. What the hell autocorrect.

lmao, okay that makes more sense :3:

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

lmao, okay that makes more sense :3:

That's what I get for posting after Thanksgiving wine :v:

Virgil
Jun 15, 2003

TT: Will I be blinded by the fearsome lashes of light ribboning from the incandescent coastline of his beauteous aura?

Mikemo Tyson posted:

What are the chances of HoT going on sale for black friday?

DL Gamers is currently offering a 24% discount for HoT US (does US/EU HoT even matter now? I'm not sure), so you pay $38 instead of $50. They are also listed as one of NCSoft's official partners, so it should be safe/legit.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Kenshin posted:

You must be new. Let's just say you're in for some disappointment if you're hoping X new feature will be iterated on over time (including elite specializations).

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Virgil posted:

DL Gamers is currently offering a 24% discount for HoT US (does US/EU HoT even matter now? I'm not sure), so you pay $38 instead of $50. They are also listed as one of NCSoft's official partners, so it should be safe/legit.

It's $31 from g2play, and their keys are all legit as long as you buy directly from g2play and not another reseller; their website allows anyone to sell keys. I bought it there myself, a day or two after HoT's launch.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main complaint about the current elite specs from a ele main, is that there is literally 0 reason to be anything other then a tempest as ele, it outclasses whatever 3rd trait line I could of taken instead and the utility skills are all far, far more useful then the majority of other utility skills with only a couple on the same power level like glyph of storms and lightning flash, plus just being a tempest unlocks 4 extra free strong skills to use.

The heal is probably the most broken thing because not only does it heal harder then any of the other so-so heals available, but it also heals every ally near you for the exact same amount, that's not even getting into the aura heals and water overload.

Basically what I'm saying is I'd like the other trait lines and utility skills to be on the same power level as the expansion specialization so there is actually a choice between 3 trait lines instead of 2.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

On that note, do people feel there are there classes that are still viable WITHOUT their elite specialization? Necro, Engi, and Ranger I could see, but seems like most elite specs are a straight upgrade at this point. Thief is completely unplayable without it, for example.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

If we're talking PvP, Druid is far superior than anything you can have in that slot, for any build, even if you don't use glyphs at all. Same with Reaper and Scrapper; Scrapper mainly because every build wants Adaptive Armor, which is basically a free 600 toughness, and the other traits are still useful to most builds; not to mention the function gyro and sneak gyro.

Even Berserker is pretty much always better than default Warrior because Berserk is a consistent +7% bonus damage, +15% attack speed and stability. The Primal Burst skills are not always better, but you still have the option of using the old burst skills when necessary.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Thief is unplayable WITH Daredevil.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Main complaint about the current elite specs from a ele main, is that there is literally 0 reason to be anything other then a tempest as ele, it outclasses whatever 3rd trait line I could of taken instead and the utility skills are all far, far more useful then the majority of other utility skills with only a couple on the same power level like glyph of storms and lightning flash, plus just being a tempest unlocks 4 extra free strong skills to use.

The heal is probably the most broken thing because not only does it heal harder then any of the other so-so heals available, but it also heals every ally near you for the exact same amount, that's not even getting into the aura heals and water overload.

Basically what I'm saying is I'd like the other trait lines and utility skills to be on the same power level as the expansion specialization so there is actually a choice between 3 trait lines instead of 2.
Remember when everyone was saying Tempest was useless and wasn't going to be used by Eles ever? Good times.

Amante posted:

On that note, do people feel there are there classes that are still viable WITHOUT their elite specialization? Necro, Engi, and Ranger I could see, but seems like most elite specs are a straight upgrade at this point. Thief is completely unplayable without it, for example.
In addition to those you listed, PS warrior still works fine without Berserker and the old Guardian dungeon builds are also pretty good. Condi Hybrid Engineer in particular doesn't usually use Scrapper (although we were using it in the raids since function gyro was nice for ressing people in electrified floor).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There was lots of talk about PvP so I really balked at every word of this post and then I realized you never said PvP. Tempest is absolutely ridiculous in PvE. It could offer nothing but overloads and still be the obvious choice.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Auramancer Tempests are pretty amazing in PvP, though. But I suppose if there's one class that might choose to not take its elite spec in PvP, Ele is it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I still prefer tempest in PvP for the auras, 15 seconds of missile reflect is hard to pass up.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Tempest, and Elementalist in general, is unplayable until the fireball graphic is returned to its former glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I have no doubt ele is still good in groups for fractals and such, but I cringe when I think about trying to run it through the HoT zones. Someone suggested bringing arcane shield, which I will probably do when it's time for that alt.

• Locked thread