Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Erg posted:

I do not know what being very very Tomino means

Tomino doesn't make allowances for his audience's easy comprehension in terms of narrative. His style is very much based around giving the viewer a window into events that are happening in his world instead of specifically narrating a story, so there won't be big scrawls of "IN THE REGUILD CENTURY, MANKIND WAS NOW AT WAR...." or anything. Some people get very confused and put out because the show spoonfeeds you basically nothing and a lot of major plot details you need to pick up simply from character dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also Tomino portrays characters that are pretty varied in personalities and differ a lot from the Anime Norm, so a lot of people have trouble grasping the characters and characterize them as "weird robots" or what have you. I don't think that's true, but I also think it's good to have watched/read stuff outside anime to really "get" Tomino's characters.

Anyway, all the Tomino Gundam shows are great, although only Turn A and G-Reco are lighthearted and only G-Reco is energetic. His non-Gundam shows vary a lot more in quality, and in how dark they are.

Edit: Kanos is right about the lack of exposition. I think the original Gundam is the only to get a big narration at the start (one of the best).

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 27, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Kanos posted:

Tomino doesn't make allowances for his audience's easy comprehension in terms of narrative. His style is very much based around giving the viewer a window into events that are happening in his world instead of specifically narrating a story, so there won't be big scrawls of "IN THE REGUILD CENTURY, MANKIND WAS NOW AT WAR...." or anything. Some people get very confused and put out because the show spoonfeeds you basically nothing and a lot of major plot details you need to pick up simply from character dialogue.

Yeah I kind of got this from the opening episode. Things just kind of happen and you're around to see it. It's weird not to have narrative dialogue or backstory dumps, but I think its cool to try it.

So did the capture of Friday girl happen a week prior to the meat of episode 1?

Also, the art style is really pretty, I'm really enjoying just watching everything in motion.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also Tomino portrays characters that are pretty varied in personalities and differ a lot from the Anime Norm, so a lot of people have trouble grasping the characters and characterize them as "weird robots" or what have you. I don't think that's true, but I also think it's good to have watched/read stuff outside anime to really "get" Tomino's characters.

Anyway, all the Tomino Gundam shows are great, although only Turn A and G-Reco are lighthearted and only G-Reco is energetic. His non-Gundam shows vary a lot more in quality, and in how dark they are.

Edit: Kanos is right about the lack of exposition. I think the original Gundam is the only to get a big narration at the start (one of the best).

Some of his non-gundam stuff also gets it. At least Xabungle, from the top of my head

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kanos posted:

I found that most of Tomino's Gundam shows are pretty comprehensible intros from a newbies POV.

MSG has the luxury of an intro that straight-up tells you "there is a war in space where evil space dudes with giant robots are killing people and chucking giant space stations at Earth", Zeta makes it drat clear who the bad guys are off the bat because there are dudes with black uniforms that grin like gangsters and establishes Kamille as a "troubled youth" because of his little temper tantrum rampage on Jerid and the Titans MPs, ZZ intro is easy to understand because of how simple it is, and F91's colony attack makes it super simple to figure out that the dudes piloting the gas-mask robots are evil and that the Federation is incompetent. Tomino's shows don't have some dude popping up and saying "Hello, I am from the Titans/Axis Zeon/Crossbone Vanguard and here is exactly what we are trying to do" in the first few episodes, but it's easy to figure out the basics of the story just by watching.

I think Tomino does stumble with revealing motivations at times, like how the only talk we get about Jamitov's true intentions is some speculating Paptimus does at his Pimp Pad with Sarah about Jamitov wanting to bankrupt the Federation (which turns out to be true in the novels), exactly why Glemy wants to overthrow Haman, and why Agrippa took over while Dianna went off on her boondoggle quest to resettle Earth (or was that because of the poo poo subs I had?).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Erg posted:

Yeah I kind of got this from the opening episode. Things just kind of happen and you're around to see it. It's weird not to have narrative dialogue or backstory dumps, but I think its cool to try it.

Also, the art style is really pretty, I'm really enjoying just watching everything in motion.

If you like the character designs, that person also did the designs for Eureka Seven and Overman King Gainer, the latter of which is a Tomino show that's apparently supposed to be very similar to G-Reco.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Another way to describe Tomino is that he's 70s as gently caress. Even his later shows still have that 70s feel.

closeted republican posted:

I found that most of Tomino's Gundam shows are pretty comprehensible intros from a newbies POV.

MSG has the luxury of an intro that straight-up tells you "there is a war in space where evil space dudes with giant robots are killing people and chucking giant space stations at Earth", Zeta makes it drat clear who the bad guys are off the bat because there are dudes with black uniforms that grin like gangsters and establishes Kamille as a "troubled youth" because of his little temper tantrum rampage on Jerid and the Titans MPs, ZZ intro is easy to understand because of how simple it is, and F91's colony attack makes it super simple to figure out that the dudes piloting the gas-mask robots are evil and that the Federation is incompetent. Tomino's shows don't have some dude popping up and saying "Hello, I am from the Titans/Axis Zeon/Crossbone Vanguard and here is exactly what we are trying to do" in the first few episodes, but it's easy to figure out the basics of the story just by watching.

I think Tomino does stumble with revealing motivations at times, like how the only talk we get about Jamitov's true intentions is some speculating Paptimus does at his Pimp Pad with Sarah about Jamitov wanting to bankrupt the Federation (which turns out to be true in the novels), exactly why Glemy wants to overthrow Haman, and why Agrippa took over while Dianna went off on her boondoggle quest to resettle Earth (or was that because of the poo poo subs I had?).

Victory, though, is very much in the G-Reco mold in regards to exposition.

The Colonel posted:

If you like the character designs, that person also did the designs for Eureka Seven and Overman King Gainer, the latter of which is a Tomino show that's apparently supposed to be very similar to G-Reco.

And Eureka Seven is one of my favorite anime ever made. I think it's very good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

if you like G Reco's art and tone, i'd definitely recommend Overman King Gainer if you're ever in the mood for another mecha show. it's got a big cast of good/likable characters, the same character designer, and some very unique mech design and action, in addition to the light/optimistic tone. it's also 25(?) episodes and has a good dub, should you be in the mood for that.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
King Gainer is a very fun show and it's much more straightforward and understandable than G-Reco, the plot is quite simple as well. The first couple of episodes are deliberately very hectic, though.

I never really had any problems following G-Reco, but I survived Brain Powerd which has a genuine case of depriving the viewer of information by just never saying it at all and is way weirder and more Tomino than G-Reco, so I'm biased.

If you just want to have a fun experience watch King Gainer or Xabungle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tomino also makes great use of international casts. Not dubs, mind you, but he does make an effort to introduce multi ethnic characters to his shows. It's something I really like because why the gently caress not? It's space, let the space mexicans have kids with the space Japanese and come out with Ryu.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Amuro is a canadian hero. :canada:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Amuro is a canadian hero. :canada:

Not any more! The Origin makes him Mexican, which is nice.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 27, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I refuse to accept these enemy lies. :colbert:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I refuse to accept these enemy lies. :colbert:

Yeah us canucks don't get much, let us have this one sunrise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

Yeah us canucks don't get much, let us have this one sunrise.

Sunrise already gave you guys the licenses to dub most of the Gundam series in English, what more do you want?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sunrise already gave you guys the licenses to dub most of the Gundam series in English, what more do you want?

The Ocean dub of DBZ Kai to see the light of day? A Gundam series with Scott McNeil as the protagonist and not just a supporting character? More Space Australians from the Dobsons?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Ocean dub of DBZ Kai to see the light of day? A Gundam series with Scott McNeil as the protagonist and not just a supporting character? More Space Australians from the Dobsons?

A dub of Turn A.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Origin is also not in the main UC timeline so Mexiro is not canon. Canadian pride Earthsphere wide.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

closeted republican posted:

why Agrippa took over while Dianna went off on her boondoggle quest to resettle Earth (or was that because of the poo poo subs I had?).

The impression I get was that Agrippa, Gym and their families have always been the real source of power on the Moon and that Dianna (and presumably her family) have always been political figureheads whose only real purpose is to give flowery speeches that pacify the population. Dianna got sick of this after several centuries in and out of cryostasis and so decided to try and re-settle the population on Earth because life on the Moon in general is kind of poo poo, which Agrippa and Gym took advantage of first to try and gently caress up her plans by making things more violent (sending Corin down) and then by outright killing her when she was proving to be somewhat successful and kind of an obstacle to what they wanted. Agrippa thought Earthnoids were savages and wanted nothing to do with them or any ideas about settling on Earth since he thought the Moon was fine (this despite 10 million odd people having to be in cryostasis at a time) while Gym just wanted a war for him and his army to fight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Madman's having a hell of a sale on their website at the moment, including a few Gundam DVD's. Just picked up Char's Counterattack and Stardust Memories for all of $8 total if anyone else is looking for a cheap copy of either. And about $70-odd worth of other dirt-cheap DVD's and blu-ray's :shepspends::cripes:.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

loling at ep 2 of G. Reco

The comment about the Earth being covered in solar panels and then Bell's response being cut out was p nice

Although a dude just getting straight up vaporized was pretty unexpected coming off of feel good everything's okay Build Fighters :stare:

still super pretty though, and it's fun trying to just pick stuff up from context

E: also I added the show with the Dreads robot to my backlog, thanks for the recommendation everyone

Erg fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 28, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

feel good everything's okay Build Fighters :stare:

this is not the norm for gundam

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Everybody do the Monkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc0rW5fsfxA

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ep. 3 of G. Reco had much less stuff getting thrown at you, so it was way easier to follow. It'd be nice if they explained what the racial epithet or whatever Kuntala is.

No idea why Bell and the others are so relaxed about being taken into the enemy's territory, I guess that's why they kept mentioning that the country hasn't experience war in a while?

lol that all the suits have bathroom capabilities

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

No idea why Bell and the others are so relaxed about being taken into the enemy's territory, I guess that's why they kept mentioning that the country hasn't experience war in a while?

yeah, this is something a lot of people have trouble with. It's not just "in a while" though, they literally haven't been at war for centuries.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Erg posted:

ep. 3 of G. Reco had much less stuff getting thrown at you, so it was way easier to follow. It'd be nice if they explained what the racial epithet or whatever Kuntala is.

They will

Erg posted:

Literally a thousand years

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

yeah, this is something a lot of people have trouble with. It's not just "in a while" though, they literally haven't been at war for centuries.

Dang, I missed the actual figure for how long. Okay that makes more sense

ep. 4 was also cool, I like the tropical/beachy vibe of the country they're in (all I can remember about the name is it's not Ameria or Goondala)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Erg posted:

ep. 4 was also cool, I like the tropical/beachy vibe of the country they're in (all I can remember about the name is it's not Ameria or Goondala)

Capital

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

Yeah, a big part of the series is that all the factions are pretty much playing at war with no real understanding of it anymore. Don't look at it with a modern understanding of combat, think more like World War 1 where they saw shellshock and PTSD as simply "cowardice", expected the whole issue gone in a year, and people were joining up to go to give those drat foreigners a jolly good kicking because they were clearly the better folk :wotwot:.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ep. 6 was cool, too bad about Dellensen, he seemed like a pretty good guy.

Glad that the kids are actually doing information gathering instead of treating this whole being captured thing as a field trip.

Also the cut ins are p cool and I like seeing them a lot.

e: This is an awesome song even if I've got no idea what they're singing about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74q5yvpZAos

Erg fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 4, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, a big part of the series is that all the factions are pretty much playing at war with no real understanding of it anymore. Don't look at it with a modern understanding of combat, think more like World War 1 where they saw shellshock and PTSD as simply "cowardice", expected the whole issue gone in a year, and people were joining up to go to give those drat foreigners a jolly good kicking because they were clearly the better folk :wotwot:.

That might be the most unrealistic thing in Gundam ever: the idea that a society could go hundreds of years without a war of any kind is just mind-boggling. Also, I'm pretty sure the second and third part of that statement could apply to any modern war, not just World War I. Shell shock was still seen in general as cowardice in World War II as far as I know as well.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

That might be the most unrealistic thing in Gundam ever: the idea that a society could go hundreds of years without a war of any kind is just mind-boggling. Also, I'm pretty sure the second and third part of that statement could apply to any modern war, not just World War I. Shell shock was still seen in general as cowardice in World War II as far as I know as well.

You do know there are nations in the real world that haven't been at war for 100+ years right?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

Real life hasn't had an apocalyptic war that quite nearly destroyed all of civilization(including things getting so bad that society degenerated into loving institutionalized cannibalism) followed by several organizations like the Capital being set up to play referee over all of humanity to ensure it never, ever happens again by controlling the energy supply. That system proved so effective that even at the hands of some severely incompetent leadership it worked right up until a man on the inside(Cumpa) actively sabotaged the arrangement in every way possible.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Also it's not real life it's a story intended to convey thoughts and ideas not be a representation of a historical event

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Just finished ep.8 and Mick Jack is pretty cool. I hope she stays around for a while.

Some of these names are just ridiculous though. Elf Bullock, Tricky Pack, Mick Jack. The line earlier in the show about Aida just making up her name was funny considering some of the real names in this.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

You do know there are nations in the real world that haven't been at war for 100+ years right?

G-Reco implies that the major powers weren't fighting for something like a thousand years though. And that coming out of a major crisis that created a lot of resource problems. Which seems like the kind of thing that'd create conflict. I am not, by the way saying that the show is bad for using this scenario because the show justifies it which is all that's important - just that any scenario where the whole world is at peace for something like a millenia is more unrealistic than 20 meter tall robots, psychic space conversations and so on to me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

Just finished ep.8 and Mick Jack is pretty cool. I hope she stays around for a while.

Some of these names are just ridiculous though. Elf Bullock, Tricky Pack, Mick Jack. The line earlier in the show about Aida just making up her name was funny considering some of the real names in this.

Klim Nick's full name is Klimton Nicchini and his father is Zucchini Nicchini. President Zucchini Nicchini.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

Klim Nick's full name is Klimton Nicchini and his father is Zucchini Nicchini

oh my gosh that's amazing

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Tomino wanted to have a character called Elbow Smash for the original version of ZZ Gundam that he outlined. Sadly, Elbow Smash was left on the cutting room floor when it was changed in to the ZZ that we got. Gundam has had a lot of fun names over the years, but that's the one that got away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

other good G Reco names: Noredo Nug, Turbo Brockin, Rockpie Geti, and Ringo Lon Giamanotta

e: though it's a drat sin that Donyell's XO has so much screentime yet is unnamed.