Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

why did you leave your 300lb bike on the side of the 101 for 3 days?

:ssh: I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Got that penetrating oil... for the sprocket, when I get to it in a few days (waiting on new cush drive rubbers before I mess with removing rear wheel again), best to stick in freezer first and then hit with the oil, or vice versa? Leaning towards the first but wanted to be sure. I would try the front wheel right now but don't trust the bike up on the stand today, wind is gusting like crazy.

Also, I'm relocating the ignition to the handlebars so I can mount a tank. I actually don't have any spare wire at hand, was thinking about an old computer PSU but realise that may not be long enough. Any suggestions of stuff that would be good to cannibalise wire from that I could find for cheap at a tip shop (dump, basically)?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Only because a DRZ has a curb weight of 321lbs :ssh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

Only because a DRZ has a curb weight of 321lbs :ssh:

Maybe if it had oil in it :smug:

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Unfortunately I cannot keep my bike undercover at the moment, and it is getting filthy from the dust in the rain, any recommendations for bike covers?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A friend with a garage? Basement? Living room bike accepting wife?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Lilbeefer posted:

Unfortunately I cannot keep my bike undercover at the moment, and it is getting filthy from the dust in the rain, any recommendations for bike covers?

An OEM bike cover?

or like http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=motorcycle+cover

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

idk what the big deal is about your bike getting rained on

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

nsaP posted:

Living room bike accepting wife?

This is one of those "it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission" things

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

This is one of those "it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission" things

:hfive:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

A MIRACLE posted:

idk what the big deal is about your bike getting rained on

Chain ends up looking like poo poo slightly faster?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Drying the seat gets annoying at times?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

I actually kinda really like riding in the rain.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

probably a dumb question, but can I substitute bicycle chain lube if I can't find motorcycle type locally?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

probably a dumb question, but can I substitute bicycle chain lube if I can't find motorcycle type locally?

Yes. If you go down the internet rabbit hole of "which lubricant is exactly right", you'll soon be frustrated and wondering if NASA will sell you a drum of space oil. But if you don't overthink it, just about any oily fluid will do.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You can even use bar and chain oil if you're in a tight spot, but oh god the mess. oh god the loving mess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I use 20-weight motor oil and put it on about every other fill up (250 miles or so).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just pour whatever is left over in the jug after changing engine oil into an oiler can and use that on the chain. :shrug:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 27, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
You all know that silicone spray lube costs like a fiver and lasts forever, yeah?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yes, but the Space Oil is much better in a vacuum.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wish I kept my used engine oil for the chain, but it felt so drat smugly good to take a freshly serviced bike to the recycling station and properly dispose of a can of used engine oil.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Can I use astroglide?

usually works v0v

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Can I use astroglide?

usually works v0v

Yes, but I've found it washes off with water. You might want to consider using a more moisture resistant silicone based lubricant of you're out riding in the rain.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Yes, but I've found it washes off with water. You might want to consider using a more moisture resistant silicone based lubricant of you're out riding in the rain.

Is there any subject matter expert we could consult with on the topic of personal lubricants and all of their extensive applications?

Surely there must be somebody.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Can I use astroglide?

Only for shafts, I think.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Is there any subject matter expert we could consult with on the topic of personal lubricants and all of their extensive applications?

Surely there must be somebody.

silicone lube will last twice as long with half the friction. Just don't cough during application or you might get surprised.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

silicone lube will last twice as long with half the friction. Just don't cough during application or you might get surprised.

Just don't use a latex applicator shield.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Looking for suggestions on a decent quality stand alone quickshifter for a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R. Not a huge fan of getting the PowerCommander route as it's a massive increase in insurance costs, whereas a standalone doesn't effect it at all. Currently aware of the Annitori one which I can pick up for roughly $450, but would prefer to have peoples opinions of the options out there. Thanks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Your insurance company changes its rates if you make minor modifications to the vehicle? :psyduck:

How do they even keep up with that? Do you have to get your bike inspected every time you replace a part?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

If you tell them, they chance your premium if you have anything that modifies how the motorcycle performs (engine mods of any form) or handles. E.g. a power commander as it can be used to retune the engine for more power/change how the engine behaves will increase your rates. If you throw a standalone quick shifter on, it's only changing that, so they're fine. If you have an accident with a power commander on and you haven't told them they can refuse to payout, or charge you backfees/a higher premium. Not worth it really.

e: Minor poo poo like changing exhausts which I've told them about, etc. they don't care about, but if it's an expensive system (my Two Bros is about $900 for the slipons) they'll only pay you for replacement OEM parts if you haven't told them). Honestly, it's easier to just tell them about it, they don't increase your premiums unless you want them to. It was like an extra $1/month for them to cover my aftermarket pipes. It's actually pretty nice of them to cover exhausts as it's technically illegal in Australia to use an aftermarket exhaust. As the guy said "We're a Motorcycle insurer, if we didn't cover aftermarket exhausts, we'd have no customers."

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 28, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Getting a vehicle reappraised for its replacement value when you change a bunch of parts is pretty standard. But I have never heard of any company requiring you to report modifications on threat of invalidating your policy. What if you put fancy tires on it -- does that indicate you're planning to ride more aggressively? If you have a non-stock suspension, might the handling be changed enough that they think it messes up their actuarial tables? It feels like the (now illegal in North America) situation where a company threatens to not honor the vehicle's warranty if you use anything but Official Company Line Fluids when you change the oil.

:psyduck: australia

e: I don't doubt that an American insurance company could try to argue that they didn't have to pay because you had a turbocharger installed and were therefore definitely racing at the time the drunk driver t-boned you etc etc. But that onus is on the insurance company to prove -- you're innocent until proven guilty.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 28, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shimrod posted:

Looking for suggestions on a decent quality stand alone quickshifter for a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R. Not a huge fan of getting the PowerCommander route as it's a massive increase in insurance costs, whereas a standalone doesn't effect it at all. Currently aware of the Annitori one which I can pick up for roughly $450, but would prefer to have peoples opinions of the options out there. Thanks!

Wat, that's crazy.

I ran the Annitori setup on the 999 and liked it quite a lot. Very customize-able for strain, switchable for GP or standard shift with the same strain gauge, etc, etc. Big fan. Wish I could run my Annitori on my SuperDuke, but the SuperDuke needs a fuel cut quickshifter, not an ignition cut one.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks Z3n, I might just try the Annitori.

Re: Insurance;

I think it's more of something like you've just tuned the bike to have another, idk, 20hp and removed the top speed limiter, so it's a smidge more likely you'll cock up because you might have done something wrong.

Something like you've dumped a turbo into it for example - ok, they'll insure you, but they're going to charge you another $400 if you crash on top of your current premium because you've hosed with how the bike is designed to be. They don't give a poo poo about tyres/getting suspension tuned, but I'm imagine they'd want to know if you've changed the forks out for new ones (which it'd be worth your time telling them anyway otherwise they might not cover them). As long as you let them know, they're happy, if you don't let them know that you're (potentially) cruising around with a 450whp turbo superbike or something they are free to tell you to gently caress off/catch up on what your payments should have been and then sure, we'll cover it.

They're quite reasonable, and I think their requirement of knowing what you've messed with is fair enough. I had a power commander in my zx10r when the front brakes hosed up on me and threw me down, however it wasn't connected (I'd disconnected it to see if the bike ran better, it did, thing wasn't tuned at all for my bike) at the time and I told them it was there, but not connected. Assessor got the mechanic that fixed my bike to verify this and they didn't charge me the extra excess for an engine altering modification.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Your insurance company changes its rates if you make minor modifications to the vehicle? :psyduck:

How do they even keep up with that? Do you have to get your bike inspected every time you replace a part?

On my recent theft claim I just emailed my agent a picture of the bike with the extra large tank.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

SuperDuke needs a fuel cut quickshifter, not an ignition cut one.

Why is this?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Shim over bucket means if you ignite unburned gas in the exhaust, it can rattle a shim out of the bucket and munges the top end. Pretty sure it's an issue unique to the KTM top end design. They put a QS on the RC8 so it can clearly be done.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't understand. How can what's happening in the exhaust header have any effect on the valve shims? Is it backfiring making the exhaust valves jump or something? I've never actually seen KTM's tappet layout so maybe I'm missing something, GIS makes it look like a fairly ordinary finger follower design. Like, I can't picture how stuff happening in the exhaust for a tiny fraction of a moment can be any more vibraty/harmful than the engine being accelerated/decelerated at high rpm's.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's been well recorded among folks, including a friend of mine who fragged an engine doing it. I haven't heard of this particular type of failure before, not sure how the interaction works but basically you lose a valve shim and off you go.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

It's been well recorded among folks, including a friend of mine who fragged an engine doing it. I haven't heard of this particular type of failure before, not sure how the interaction works but basically you lose a valve shim and off you go.

Ready To Race. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I think I can sort of see how it could happen - I guess the follower design assumes that there will always be compression between the valve and cam, and a full-throttle cylinder's worth of backfire in the header as the valve is closing is enough to take that tension out and risk something dropping out?

Is this the only time that I'm legitimately able to say that desmodromic valves are actually superior to something?