Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Croccers posted:

Where's this preorder offer for Horizons? I can only find it on their store for 40GBP/60USD which is 80 loving AUD, lol gently caress that.

Perfectly fine. You'll want to do a little bit of tweaking for shortcuts and stuff but it works fine, you'll still need to mash keys on the keyboard but I don't think anyone bar those players with a billion extra-button joysticks get away from that.

When you add it to the cart and start to checkout it does the discount.

Also thanks for the stuff about the 360 controller. I'll have to get that set up this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Are you signed into the store with your account? Maybe it's applied automatically on the checkout page.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
when you're paying it straight up shows the discount

Which is £10, not $, so less than $15

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Adult Sword Owner posted:

when you're paying it straight up shows the discount

Which is £10, not $, so less than $15

You have to switch the currency to dollars on the top left.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Wait what does this mean
It means that the high-intensity combat zone in Gakiutl (where we're currently fighting for the Diamond Frogs) has a capital ship that warps in during the fight. It's hostile to us so you can go in and blow up the heat sinks on it to force it to run away for fun and profit. See the private games thread for more details :getin:

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 27, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

MarcusSA posted:

You have to switch the currency to dollars on the top left.

It did it at the end but it did the calculations as if £

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It did it at the end but it did the calculations as if £

Yeah I had that same issue I just closed out and restarted the process and it stayed dollars.

Their website is kinda janky I paid in £ for E:D and didn't realize it.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Wait what does this mean

The most badass sound effects (which is saying something in this game) and general whoah-ness - if you haven't seen a capital ship arrive yet, go out of your way to do so, and turn up the volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q577IXxFpQ

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

xiansi posted:

The most badass sound effects (which is saying something in this game) and general whoah-ness - if you haven't seen a capital ship arrive yet, go out of your way to do so, and turn up the volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q577IXxFpQ

Woah. That is some intense SFX. Kinda reminds me of the Reapers from Mass Effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVoU30ixHrM

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
This game looks interesting and I'm thinking of picking it up from the steam sale. I have a few questions, though:

The OP has a list of things you can do for money in order of their value. Can I do more than one of these things or is it like a class-based system where I pick one and my character is stuck as that?

Do players ever explicitly work together or is this all pretty much solo play with some interaction/PvP?

Am I going to be penalized in-game if I don't play regularly, or am I free to pick it up or put it down as I please?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You can do whatever whenever, provided you have a capable ship. Players can explicitly work together, but you'll generally be spending a lot of time on your own. It's a pretty good game for just messing around in every once in a while, there's no real in-game penalties for being inactive.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

jon joe posted:

This game looks interesting and I'm thinking of picking it up from the steam sale. I have a few questions, though:

The OP has a list of things you can do for money in order of their value. Can I do more than one of these things or is it like a class-based system where I pick one and my character is stuck as that?

Do players ever explicitly work together or is this all pretty much solo play with some interaction/PvP?

Am I going to be penalized in-game if I don't play regularly, or am I free to pick it up or put it down as I please?

You can do whatever you want provided your ship is geared for it, the only gate is your bank balance/skill.

Players definitely work together in wings, and even orgs though the stuff you can do as an actual organization is a little limited right now.

You can dip in and out of this as you wish, cheaper ships aren't artificially gimped by dint of just being cheap. Hell, for some stuff you might wanna stay in your little panel van, less attention from the po-po.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

jon joe posted:

There are no classes or skills, what you can do just depends on what ship you have at the time. Some ships are only really usable for one thing (trading, exploration or combat) while most can do at least a couple. You can experiment with fitting your ship pretty much without penalty since you can sell components back at the same price you paid for them, so if you kit out a ship for mining and decide mining is extremely boring you can sell that mining laser and buy a combat laser (or whatever) with no harm done. You can sell a ship back for a 10% loss which isn't too bad, but you can also store ships and come back to them later.

I don't do it much but there is cooperative play.

You aren't penalized for not playing at all.

Edit: Actually there is some penalty for not playing if you get involved in power play, which is optional and not really that good. Basically certain actions in game get you brownie points with a faction (merits) which will degrade over time. They degrade at the same rate whether you're logging in or not, but if you're not gaining more you'll slip in merit points.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 27, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

jon joe posted:

1) There is no stats defining the pilot. The pilot is YOU. You can run many missions for one (or both) major factions to earn ranks that grant the ability to buy faction specific ships, and gain permits to special systems (such as Sol). A third major faction is the Alliance which has neither rank or special ships.

You as a pilot belong to an apolitical Pilots' Federation, which ranks you on your Combat, Trade, and Exploration skills (basically how much you earned from each). Higher ranks mean better paying missions become available to you at any given bulletin board - employers know you got skills and are willing to pay them

There is no degradation of your ships or credits, and you can put down and pick up whenever suits you. The exception is Power Play, where you align with a Power and can earn merits every week to rank up and get what amounts to a weekly paycheck. Merits will degrade over time, eventually knocking you back to a 1000 credits a week, but if you remain in the power over a month, you can rank up to level 3 and after the new week begins buy whatever special module or weapon that power offers

Power Play is generally not recommended for new players. It is very grind-y. If you like grind-y you could earn up 50 million credits a week, and other benefits if your Power is in the top three

We have our own player group, the Diamond Frogs, and we have pulled some cheeky poo poo let me tell you. Check out the PGS thread

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

El Grillo posted:

How crummy are your crummy laptops? In terms of CPU & GPU I mean. Wondering whether I can get away with running it on this thing...

I've been playing for the last month on a Macbook Pro with a useless integrated card, so if your GPU can render a cube without melting you're good to go.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

How well does this play with the 360 controller? I have been forbidden to buy anything till after my birthday.

I just wanted to add that up until very recently I played exclusively with a controller, and it felt great. Using the face buttons as modifiers for dpad inputs gives you almost enough buttons for anything you could want. The only things I relegated to the keyboard still was poo poo like jettisoning cargo and ship lights. Seriously, for a space game with as many buttons as this game has, there is not a bad control option.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sard posted:

I do not understand why, given a ship that can mount and power them, you wouldn't want to use two C4 plasma accelerators.

This is a good point and I spent some time today to fiddle around with builds on the beta server. And you know what? I'm feeling a little more comfortable with the Corvette.

This is the build I have:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_corvette/08B7A6A5D8A8D5C2c2c150s0s24240002030304040m024k06060505375i6m242f.Iw18Z5A=.IwBj4yq5dI==

If I'm willing to fork out another 100M Cr for the A8 power plant, I can replace the point defence turrets with two more class A shield boosters.

With 4 pips in WEP I can run the beams indefinitely and those combined with the M/C's shred smaller ships. The C3 slot is my :effort: slot since I'm not really sure what to put in there. I'm thinking of maybe slotting a fixed C3 beam to help strip shields off larger ships and with hypothetical surface strafing runs.

I'm still annoyed by the jump range but I'm again holding off on fussing about it too much until the jump boost mechanic gets fleshed out a bit since the range goes from 13.76/11.09LY to 17.20/13.86LY at boost level 1 to 20.64/16.63LY and 27.52/22.18LY at boost levels 2 and 3 respectively. If the components for jump boosts aren't too time consuming to collect I'm perfectly ok with the unmodified jump range for local travel and using the boosts if I need to get around human space.

TL;DR -- I'm coming around on the Corvette and I really hope the beta isn't delayed again because I'm :spergin: way too hard over space ships.

Edit: I'm probably going to swap one or both of the PDT's for heat sink launchers because heat buildup is a bear in this puppy.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 27, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
On Powerplay and heat build-up: After grinding up to get packhound-missile launchers, I was pleasantly surprised to have not wasted my time.

The basics are: Packhounds are like seeker launchers, as in first you have to aim your ship's nose at the enemy long enough for your missile tracking to finish. (If you don't your missiles lose lock up and you have to restart aiming.) A bit annoying, since this means missiles aren't that good if you can't turn for poo poo, but since the ships I've tested them on aren't that bad, it's still doable.

Next you have to remember to strip shields first, since even the tiniest sliver of shields negates your missiles completely. I always pair my packhounds with lasers because of this. Then there are some important other details you have to know if you want to use missiles:

1. Forget dumbfire missiles. You can fire them without waiting for the warheads to lock on to their target, but on the other hand your target can simply evade. Still useless against shields. Basically the redheaded-stepchild among missiles.

2. Normal seekers fire just one seeker per shot. If you want to hit someone with multiple missiles, you need multiple launchers. (I forgot if you could fire repeatedly before reloading starts, but I think nope, you have to wait after every shot.)

3. Packhounds launch multiple missiles per shot and you can just repeatedly hammer out missiles several times before the launcher has to reload. From experience, it's 3 seekers per shot and launcher and you can fire four times in rapid succession before the launcher reloads. With two packhound-launchers, you can theoretically unload 24 seeker missiles into an unsuspecting enemy. Since smaller ships tend to die from just half of that, welp.

4. Packhounds have drawbacks, of course. The first one is quite major: The heat build-up is intense. Every time I shoot the two launchers on my Python, the heat jumps from 40 to about 95. If I launch double or triple, my modules are getting roasted. The second is only minor: Every packhound-seeker does only half damage compared to a normal seeker. It's the sheer mass of missiles which makes the packhound-launchers superior. The third is the worst: You have to join up in powerplay (shudder) with Rui and grind to rank 3 after waiting for four weeks, just so you can buy them.

Conclusion:

Packhound-missile launchers are the death of every unshielded ship. And your own if you have problems with heat already. Before you run off and join with Rui, I suggest putting some normal seekers on a cheap ship and go see if you actually want to use missiles. If it turns out you can't stand them, you'll avoid a lot of headache this way.

About that other junk:

Torpedos are the best, but you can have a maximum amount of 2 per launcher, which makes them a weapon of last resort you basically never use. Or you waste them on a Sidewinder costing less than your torpedo. Seriously, they do a lot of damage and can sometimes just walk through enemy PD thanks do being beefy as gently caress, but you only have 1-2 of them per hardpoint. Torpedos right now would make more sense if you could drag them with your ship as some kind of support-weapon. Making the launchers take your hardpoints is the worst idea ever made.

But as soon as Frontier gives you more ammunition for your torpedo launchers and the seeker-like ability to reload them mid-fight, go for them!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just got the game since it's on Steam Sale right now and so far I'm enjoying it for the Space Truck Simulator thing, and it work absolutely great with a normal controller.

EDIT: How do you actually make money from exploration stuff, by the way?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jack Trades posted:

I just got the game since it's on Steam Sale right now and so far I'm enjoying it for the Space Truck Simulator thing, and it work absolutely great with a normal controller.

Any station with a "Cartographics" service will buy exploration data, so long as it's more than 20ly from the area explored.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Jack Trades posted:

First, you need a discovery scanner. These come in three varieties: Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced.

Basic discovery scanners come with all ships when purchased (and can be sold to be replaced with a better one or free up the internal slot for something else) and will scan out to a range of 500ls. Advanced cost a bunch of money for a newbie and scan out to 1000ls, I've never really bothered with them because... Advanced cost 1 million credits and will scan the entire system in one go no matter how large. You really want the Advanced version, so maybe hold off the hardcore exploring unless you're some kind of masochist who enjoys spotting distant bodies through parallax.

Anyway, you assign that scanner to a fire group, then any time you jump into an unexplored system just honk your space-horn and see what pops up. This is what the game considers a Level 1 scan. You can just sell this basic exploration data at any station located more than 20ly from where it was gathered (select the "Universal Cartographics" option at the station menu), and if you're just packing a scanner along while you're just on your way somewhere, it can be a nice way of collecting a bit of cash while you're scooping fuel and/or waiting for your FSD to cool down for the next jump. You can also get a bit more information about an object (and thus, money) by targeting it and flying close enough for your ship's scanners to do a more detailed scan. This is a Level 2 scan. Level 3 scans are even more detailed and can only be achieved by fitting your ship with a Detailed Surface Scanner, which is a module that costs 250k, and then doing the same thing (point ship at targeted object, get close).

Payout for exploration depends on what's in the system and the detail level of the scans. More interesting planets (like candidates for terraforming or anything with life on it) and stellar masses (eg black holes and neutron stars) will pay out more money (particularly if detailed scans are gathered), while boring stuff like brown dwarf stars and lovely little ice planets will pay out much less.

Nobody gets rich quick off of exploring, but if you get touched by the space madness bug and decide to take a vacation to the center of the galaxy or something, it can make for a decent enough payday once you get back.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play
Another sneak peek from Braben. It's Europa again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyPoaVRErE0

EDIT: Turns out he made a follow-up video for that one as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9F0HC18sSI

OldManMarsh fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 27, 2015

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Interesting that you can deploy the rover from a ship hangar. I wonder if there will be things to do just around the base.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

OldManMarsh posted:

Another sneak peek from Braben. It's Europa again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyPoaVRErE0

Good to know Braben sucks at landing as much as I do.

Also that looks pretty neat. Hopefully orbital bombardment will be a thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Remember this post?

It's time for :siren: Part 2 :siren:

Nice rings!

Metal rich and pristine reserves? Well, just type that system into your map and look if you want to try mining here!

This planet looks a bit like it was bombarded by some kind of rust weapon.

Seriously, my Asp looks better than this!

Would you want to live on this giant motherfucker?

Some nice nebulas.

4+ times the atmospheric pressure and half of the atmosphere is Carbon Dioxid. But this is not Venus, instead global warming barely makes a dent into what would otherwise probably colder than Pluto.

Just look at that fucker! Poisonous atmosphere, giant ice caps and crushing pressure. And it looks like a wetter version of Mars from orbit. Trap World.

This time putting my ship next to it is not just vanity: See how dark the hull is, even though the sun is blasting right at it? This planet is far, far away from its sun.

I called this gas giant Snow White, for obvious reasons. Another pristine reserve of precious metals!

The other one is basically Jupiter 2.0, just with rings full of delicious ore.

I love terrestrial planets with rings. But how nice would it be to stand on that planet and look up to the stars?

Ugh. Well, Thargoids would probably love this planet.

Close up from our little poison jewel.

This giant fucker was screenshotted just because its full of little creepy crawlies.

Just a marker for me to compare later. Also interesting: Counting jumps and travel distance works, but the original numbers Frontier entered were wrong, so it's still worthless as a statistic. Longest distance from home is just borked, period. Some months ago there was a server bug which made you crash so hard, Frontier opted for an emergency teleport back to the last station visited until they fixed it. Maybe the wrong numbers come from that, since I was one of the poor fuckers teleported back to start.

Hopefully :frontear: will fix this when they expand the explorer-log like they promised. Otherwise it'll probably end up like the asteroid belts: Bugged forever:

I did some involuntary sun diving during my travels. Since when it actually happened I didn't have the time to do screenshots, I made this shot from a still save distance. Now imagine you see the sun in the foreground growing larger and your ship diving right into it after dropping from a jump. Now imagine you going full throttle and praying you can exit the sun before you burn up. This is sun diving. For the complete experience, you need to end up between multiple suns, to close to at least one of them. Better hope you have multiple heat sinks to get out of that trap without exploding into very hot and very small pieces of debris. If not, welp chances are your journey is over.

With luck, you can survive maybe three sun dives without heat sinks before your hull hits zero. I used up two full heat sinks during my voyage and still lost 15% hull. If you take into consideration that I'm a bad player and crashed into completely normal suns a couple times, you can probably go with just one heat sink. Zero heat sinks however are an invitation to disaster.

The ammonia-life counterpart to that other fat gas giant. This time however, the pristine reserves are just pristine reserves of poo poo. That means it's not worth much.

Right now we're here. Lembava was my starting point. Halfway to the edge of the galaxy. That spiral arm right behind me is the Perseus Arm I just have crossed, the dark nothing before me is the so-called Outer Arm. The edge is beyond that. Crossing that void will turn out to be a pain in the rear end even with an Asp's jump range.

In pure numbers: 7k light years travelled, about 8k to go still. And back again of course. :shepface:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 27, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, I have a Python for mining, a Vulture for killing, an Asp for exploration (and rover shenanigans once Horizons drops).

I want a proper multirole, cheapish ship to gently caress around that can do whatever. Some cargo space, decent weapons and shields, good jump range, low rebuy. Imperial courier? Or wait for the Cobra mk 4?

I love the concept of the new cobra but they tend to make improved ships heavier and fatter, and I would rather not have worse range / agility than the mk 3 (also for God sake frontier give it better shields)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is controller significantly better than keyboard and mouse for this game? Having trouble doing anything that isn't crashing into stations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

jon joe posted:

Is controller significantly better than keyboard and mouse for this game? Having trouble doing anything that isn't crashing into stations.

KB+M is easier for me to control than a controller once you get your presets set up in a way that you like. Just take it slow around stations and do the landing tutorial a few times and you should get the hang of it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

So, I have a Python for mining, a Vulture for killing, an Asp for exploration (and rover shenanigans once Horizons drops).

I want a proper multirole, cheapish ship to gently caress around that can do whatever. Some cargo space, decent weapons and shields, good jump range, low rebuy. Imperial courier? Or wait for the Cobra mk 4?

I love the concept of the new cobra but they tend to make improved ships heavier and fatter, and I would rather not have worse range / agility than the mk 3 (also for God sake frontier give it better shields)

Well, for multirole the Imperial Courier is kind of poo poo. The cargo space is practically non-existent. Or you just have to live with refitting the drat thing every time you want to do something new.

The Diamondback Explorer would probably more like what you want, you can make it heavily armed while retaining 30+ light year range. It has decent agility and you can press 16t cargo into the hull when you forego the AFM.

Cobra MK3 would be the obvious choice until the Cobra MK4 comes out (for those of us with both the base game and the expansion. :v:).

The new Viper-variant is also quite good. It has less agility but tons more armor and jump range than the old Viper. But of course this is another ship where you have to wait. The Asp Scout would be ideal, since it's just a cheaper, downgraded Asp.

If you want to stay cheap I'm out of ideas at that point, though. Cobra 3, DBE or waiting.

Edit:

This is a random fit I made for the DBE just to kill time: Armed and Dangerous

If you're wondering about the two class 1 multi-cannons, you can either have a strong class 3 beam and some small weapons, or you have to downgrade something. The DBE's weakpoint is the power plant: Class 4 is simply not enough to A-grade everything.

But two multi-cannons to back up your beam should be plenty. The DBE has good heat dispersion, so having a heat-intensive weapon has no drawbacks.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 27, 2015

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
DBE or DBS are both good candidates for your cheap do it all ship now it seems.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

jon joe posted:

Swap roll and yaw in the options then try it again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

The DBS not so much, if you fit it for exploration you have no cargo, for example. So you can fight and explore at the same time, but if you need cargo space, tough poo poo. I guess as long as you're travelling in the bubble, you could throw out the fuel scoop for some cargo space, though. :shrug:

My suggestion would either be a DBE with 16t cargo, or a bog-standard Cobra fit for 32t cargo. Those two ships can basically do everything, everytime. No refit needed.

DBE: Better agility, higher jump range, more expensive, less cargo space. More utility-slots.
Cobra: Cheap, more cargo space. More internals for other poo poo. Only two utility slots.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Is there a way to tell which direction your ship is pointing? I think it'd be neat to find something interesting in the distance, then find it on the galaxy map and plot a course there; but I don't see anything on the HUD resembling a compass I can use.

Or are all the pretty looking things off in the distance too far away to actually reach even through hyperspace, and just there for decoration?

jon joe posted:

Get this if you're averse to spending money (or something more expensive if not).

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...eywords=hotas+x

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 27, 2015

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

MisterZimbu posted:

Is there a way to tell which direction your ship is pointing? I think it'd be neat to find something interesting in the distance, then find it on the galaxy map and plot a course there; but I don't see anything on the HUD resembling a compass I can use.
I may have missed an easier way, but I always just point toward something recognizable and far away like a nebula, then go into the galaxy map and point the camera from my current system toward that object.

MisterZimbu posted:

Or are all the pretty looking things off in the distance too far away to actually reach even through hyperspace, and just there for decoration?
Some of them yes, some of them no. You can move around freely on the galaxy map to find out.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

MisterZimbu posted:

Get this if you're averse to spending money (or something more expensive if not).

If you see a nebula or whatever in the distance you can go to it but there's no real way to tell what your current heading is i think, which kinda sucks. you can work it out manually by selecting stars to jump to and getting an approximate heading, then looking on the galaxy map. The skybox is real, like, all the stars you see in the skybox are where they would be from the point you're looking at it from. You can go to sol and spot the constellations!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One more question. What happens after I die?
I've heard there's perma-death in the game but I have no idea how it actually works.

Helter Skelter posted:

First, you need a discovery scanner. These come in three varieties: Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced.
-stuff-

Thanks.
I think I'll be enjoying trading/smuggling and exploration in this game. I took a look at the map and it's loving gigantic. Puts even EVE to shame.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

MisterZimbu posted:

ManicJason posted:

I may have missed an easier way, but I always just point toward something recognizable and far away like a nebula, then go into the galaxy map and point the camera from my current system toward that object.

Some of them yes, some of them no. You can move around freely on the galaxy map to find out.

There actually is a navigational compass on the HUD - it's the little circular indicator to the upper left of your radar. Your navigational target (locked station, locked stellar object) is represented by a blue dot. A solid dot in the center of the indicator means it's directly in front of you; a hollow circle is behind you. When you request docking permission from a station it'll even change to point at your assigned pad!

Libluini posted:

The DBS not so much, if you fit it for exploration you have no cargo, for example. So you can fight and explore at the same time, but if you need cargo space, tough poo poo. I guess as long as you're travelling in the bubble, you could throw out the fuel scoop for some cargo space, though. :shrug:

My suggestion would either be a DBE with 16t cargo, or a bog-standard Cobra fit for 32t cargo. Those two ships can basically do everything, everytime. No refit needed.

DBE: Better agility, higher jump range, more expensive, less cargo space. More utility-slots.
Cobra: Cheap, more cargo space. More internals for other poo poo. Only two utility slots.

Thronde posted:

Personally I don't like the DB-Explorer much - sure, it's the cheapest ship with a C3 mount and has a huge travel range, but it's slow on the turn for its size (and not tough enough to make up for it) and is kind of awkward to fit. I quite like the Scout model for a long-range fighter-type ship, though - it's a nice combination of solid and nimble and packs a hell of a jump range for a fighter-type ship.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Jack Trades posted:

One more question. What happens after I die?
I've heard there's perma-death in the game but I have no idea how it actually works.

You always have ship insurance, it's not some thing you have to go fiddle with upkeep, you pay 5% of your ship's value and get a nice shiny new one at the last station you were docked at. If you don't have the funds to do so there is a small loan you can take out up to 600k, if that's still not enough you can sell off parts from the ship until it's cheap enough. If all that fails your only option is to take a new starter sidewinder and be back at square one.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Swap roll and yaw in the options then try it again.

I think this will save me a lot of trouble. Going to try it ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can't rebind my controller controls for some reasons. My Xbox controller works absolutely fine as long as I use a preset but it won't let me rebind anything.
Anyone else had the same issue?

• Locked thread