Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Is that the profile that combines both joystick and throttle into a single virtual device?

If not, use the one that does.

Also, you really don't need the rudder pedals for the F-16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Jiblet posted:

Thanks, but so far it's consistently 32 buttons off. So every time I do what you've suggested, it's still wrong.
I think it's detecting my pedals as device 0 so assigning all the fun important stick functions to the 32 buttons don't have on there.

I guess I need to go edit the keyfile and add 32 to everything. Which is why I always go back to DCS :(

There is a tool to switch the DeviceID. This is the one I used- JoyID.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

MrYenko posted:

From the TFC/ED newsletter:

:commissar:

like anyone here buys dcs modules at full price anyway

that said even though i don't see it as a big deal i encourage the outrage for purely mercenary reasons

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I also use a tool for joystick IDs find posts by me and it should show up.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Wicaeed posted:

Is that the profile that combines both joystick and throttle into a single virtual device?

If not, use the one that does.

Also, you really don't need the rudder pedals for the F-16

Yes it is.
I am.
Oh ok.

Snaxx posted:

There is a tool to switch the DeviceID. This is the one I used- JoyID.
Thanks for that, I've played around switching ID's but it doesn't seem to help. THe only way I can get it to reliable work is by unplugging all controllers except for the warthog stick and throttle. Then the root device gets buttons 1-32 or whatever and I'm golden. Just have no rudder or brakes... So er yeah, any other ideas?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Jiblet posted:

Yes it is.
I am.
Oh ok.

Thanks for that, I've played around switching ID's but it doesn't seem to help. THe only way I can get it to reliable work is by unplugging all controllers except for the warthog stick and throttle. Then the root device gets buttons 1-32 or whatever and I'm golden. Just have no rudder or brakes... So er yeah, any other ideas?

I had this, you should be able to mess around with unplugging the rudders so that they show up as a later device than the unified controller.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Run the target script and while it's running open the joystick I'd changer. Make sure the virtual controller that target creates is ID 1.

EDIT: For the profile it must be 1. Not just before the pedals.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 27, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EvilJoven posted:

Part of me wants to get the modules I know I'll fly before this happens but another part wants to goatse their forum until they permaban me and revoke all my keys.

Ive bought Black Shark three times to be able to keep playing the product I thought I was buying the first time. ED is the loving worst, and they deserve to end up doing Russian translations of HP printer drivers until the heat death of the loving universe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reminder that ED once gave the reason for a delay as "the laptop that had the code on it was stolen"

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Maybe I'm missing something with the whole "keyfile" thing but it takes me no more than 5-10 minutes to just rebind all the hotas controls. I have CH pedals, a Fighterstick and Pro Throttle and BMS 4.33 lists everything in sections now. Even if I unplug and screw everything up, it's not that big of a deal because it's only like 50 key binds and half of them are TMS up-down-left-right etc. Once you get used to it, it takes even less time.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

IceLicker posted:

Maybe I'm missing something with the whole "keyfile" thing but it takes me no more than 5-10 minutes to just rebind all the hotas controls. I have CH pedals, a Fighterstick and Pro Throttle and BMS 4.33 lists everything in sections now. Even if I unplug and screw everything up, it's not that big of a deal because it's only like 50 key binds and half of them are TMS up-down-left-right etc. Once you get used to it, it takes even less time.

If you dont mind posting your BMS setup I would like to take a look? I have a CH setup as well and would like to see how someone familiar with the game has set theirs up.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
hey hey its arma 3 time right now in the airgoons mumble.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

immelman posted:

If you dont mind posting your BMS setup I would like to take a look? I have a CH setup as well and would like to see how someone familiar with the game has set theirs up.

Sure. Because the fighterstick is nearly 1:1 with a real F-16 sidestick, I have it mapped as such. I think a TM Warthog has the exact same set up as well.

For the throttle, the set up is a little different but not a whole lot.

The mini-joy obviously is the cursor, the bottom switch I just have bound to speedbreak in and out and the top one with the 4 point on it, I use for dogfight enable, disable and missile uncage. I can't seem to bind the chinahat for some reason. For the button on the back (the 4-way), that you can use you index finger for, I have bound to comms. UHF, VHF and comms in and out. The individual buttons on the back that you'd use your ring and pinky for on the throttle still, I have set for manual range so that you can zoom in and out on the TGP.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 28, 2015

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

immelman posted:

the CH Software is a cakewalk to use compared to Thrustmasters hey lets live in the loving stoneage where you need to be a goddamn programmer to make full advantage of the software

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Tried out the Dedicated Server hack that Stanislaw made in a Linux VM (Arch) on my Windows 10 PC. Couldn't get his WINE port to compile on Linux without making some extensive changes that are a little to :effort: for me, so I installed Windows 7 in QEMU (A virtual machine) and ran it there and it worked fine. Getting 45 FPS on the server. So Falcon now runs pretty well in an emulated environment in a virtual machine in a virtual machine.

Edit: After experimenting with Wind Corrected CBUs they're hilarious kill everything death machines if you do a little homework. Attacking a column of vehicles? Figuring out the right angle (90 degree) bearing to the column and set it as the azimuth for your bombs, pair them and set the offset to the coverage area for the bombs, designate the head of the column, drop your bombs, target the middle, drop, target the end, drop. Watch the whole column vanish without having to overfly it or setup a perfect straight run down the column. As long as you're inside the drop range of the bombs (Which is huge if you're up high) your CBUs will nicely blanket the length of the column. You can do with with JSOWS as well if you just want to murder all living matter in a five mile radius.

Edit 2, the Editing: If you pair them front to back you don't even need to figure out a right angle. Just use the column's heading.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 28, 2015

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

IceLicker posted:

Sure. Because the fighterstick is nearly 1:1 with a real F-16 sidestick, I have it mapped as such. I think a TM Warthog has the exact same set up as well.

For the throttle, the set up is a little different but not a whole lot.

The mini-joy obviously is the cursor, the bottom switch I just have bound to speedbreak in and out and the top one with the 4 point on it, I use for dogfight enable, disable and missile uncage. I can't seem to bind the chinahat for some reason. For the button on the back (the 4-way), that you can use you index finger for, I have bound to comms. UHF, VHF and comms in and out. The individual buttons on the back that you'd use your ring and pinky for on the throttle still, I have set for manual range so that you can zoom in and out on the TGP.

Awesome that is very helpful!

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

Sauer posted:

Tried out the Dedicated Server hack that Stanislaw made in a Linux VM (Arch) on my Windows 10 PC. Couldn't get his WINE port to compile on Linux without making some extensive changes that are a little to :effort: for me, so I installed Windows 7 in QEMU (A virtual machine) and ran it there and it worked fine. Getting 45 FPS on the server. So Falcon now runs pretty well in an emulated environment in a virtual machine in a virtual machine.

Edit: After experimenting with Wind Corrected CBUs they're hilarious kill everything death machines if you do a little homework. Attacking a column of vehicles? Figuring out the right angle (90 degree) bearing to the column and set it as the azimuth for your bombs, pair them and set the offset to the coverage area for the bombs, designate the head of the column, drop your bombs, target the middle, drop, target the end, drop. Watch the whole column vanish without having to overfly it or setup a perfect straight run down the column. As long as you're inside the drop range of the bombs (Which is huge if you're up high) your CBUs will nicely blanket the length of the column. You can do with with JSOWS as well if you just want to murder all living matter in a five mile radius.

Edit 2, the Editing: If you pair them front to back you don't even need to figure out a right angle. Just use the column's heading.

I've tried running it on a Windows 2008 server and it runs fine, but after tweo missions or so the server crashes. Also sometimes you'll lose awacs, and sometimes you can't lock onto any objects because it doesn't think an object is really there. Sometimes you won't get any ground units at all.

Very unstable for me, unless there is a problem with 2008 server.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Are you spawning the host into the 3D world? Normally I'll just pick some transport squadron make a single ship ramp start sortie for the host and just leave it sitting there parked and unpowered. I didn't have any crashes or oddities from it after two hours or so running.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Yea, it crashes almost instantly in the 3d world. Plus the screen is blank, but i assume that is supposed to be the case with this graphicless mod

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Its not a graphicless mod. It renders the 3D world using a software layer. If you have a videocard installed you should be seeing something. If you don't have one installed, you're VPN'ing into the machine and will still see the game world. Sounds like something is jacked up on your end.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I got loving hammered last night and bought the DCS Huey module. I don't even own a joystick, what's the best one for $150 or lower?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
X55.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
You'll want pedals. CH Pro Pedals are excellent at $100. Better to get a $50 joystick +pedals for helos rather than a $150 hotas with a twist stick.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ghetto wormhole posted:

I got loving hammered last night and bought the DCS Huey module. I don't even own a joystick, what's the best one for $150 or lower?

Talk about a hell of a downward spiral...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MrYenko posted:

Talk about a hell of a downward spiral...

Sometimes you just want to learn to fly a helicopter ok?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You're staring down a rabbit hole, duder. Don't do it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ghetto wormhole posted:

Sometimes you just want to learn to fly a helicopter ok?

Afterward you can buy the Ka-50 and learn how to make a helicopter fly itself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shine posted:

Afterward you can buy the Ka-50 and learn how to make a helicopter fly itself, and then get shot down by a tank.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

ghetto wormhole posted:

You're going to pretty much need rudder pedals for the huey, God help you if you try to fly that thing with a twist stick.

KA 50 however, totally can be flown with a twist stick.

I'd recommend the CH products, they have 3 main advantages
- CH does industrial controls so they know what quality control and durability means.
- You can use CH products as a home defense weapon and blugeon intruders with it. Product will likely still function long after the intruder is dead.
- They all look like they came from the early 1990's so you can pretend its something you had as a kid if your unmarried and a woman shows up.

Shine posted:

Afterward you can buy the Ka-50 and learn how to make a helicopter fly itself, and then get shot down by a tank from 4000 meters away through trees, while on the move without warning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Couple of questions since I don't see a DCS specific thread:

I'm getting stuff installed on my new PC. Should I just download the 1.5 Beta and not even bother with the 1.2 release at this point?

Also, oddly enough going through the store and my purchased modules I do not show a serial # for A-10, but then I remembered I bought it off Steam. Can I move my steam license/serial# over to DCS, or vice versa? I also own FC3, Combined Arms, P51D, UH3, and Blackshark 2.

Also, if I am going to jump hard into a sim right now, what is the consensus of best one to spend time on? Falcon or DCS? I remember when F4 came out and I really liked the campaign engine, but that might just be a memory fogged over by many years.

I'll ask my non-combat flight sim questions over in the other thread :) Thanks!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

slidebite posted:

I'm getting stuff installed on my new PC. Should I just download the 1.5 Beta and not even bother with the 1.2 release at this point?

Also, oddly enough going through the store and my purchased modules I do not show a serial # for A-10, but then I remembered I bought it off Steam. Can I move my steam license/serial# over to DCS, or vice versa? I also own FC3, Combined Arms, P51D, UH3, and Blackshark 2.

Also, if I am going to jump hard into a sim right now, what is the consensus of best one to spend time on? Falcon or DCS? I remember when F4 came out and I really liked the campaign engine, but that might just be a memory fogged over by many years.

I'll ask my non-combat flight sim questions over in the other thread :) Thanks!

IIRC you can use Steam DCS codes with standalone DCS, but you cannot use non-Steam DCS keys in Steam.

DCS is an excellent flight sim, but as a Fun Video Game it lags behind Falcon BMS. Definitely use the 1.5 beta, as it's a huge performance and QoL boost over the current version.

Falcon BMS is a much better "game" due to its excellent dynamic campaign generator (DCS has nothing like it), but its interface is a 90's hellhole and there's a reason why many of the posts in this thread are about control configuration issues.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
HI. You dont need rudder pedals to fly the huey. Only two options are either i am a god pilot in a helicopter (i'm not) or the huey isn't as bad as everybody says w/r/t rudder pedals/twist stick (its this one).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shine posted:

IIRC you can use Steam DCS codes with standalone DCS, but you cannot use non-Steam DCS keys in Steam.

DCS is an excellent flight sim, but as a Fun Video Game it lags behind Falcon BMS. Definitely use the 1.5 beta, as it's a huge performance and QoL boost over the current version.

Falcon BMS is a much better "game" due to its excellent dynamic campaign generator (DCS has nothing like it), but its interface is a 90's hellhole and there's a reason why many of the posts in this thread are about control configuration issues.
I see, thanks a lot. So it should be as simple as getting my steam serial # and using it once I have the 1.5 Beta installed?

I literally haven't played F4 since, no joke, probably 1 year after its release. I've got the big binder version here somewhere. I think I need to try it out and see how it changed. :)

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

slidebite posted:

This kind of is the DCS thread, Vaha taking it out of the title because he got bored of it is a little unhelpful towards that purpose however.

Also regardless of how great the campaign engine for Falcon is (which is the main reason people still play it at all), I can never get past how clunky the whole drat thing is.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ghetto wormhole posted:

I would highly recommend this joystick for a cheap, but fantastic quality one http://www.amazon.ca/Thrustmaster-2...master+t+16000. Then all you need is a set of rudder pedals, CH or Saitek. CH is built better, but are somewhat narrow and close together. Saitek knows the :btroll:'y folks they're making this poo poo for, so they have a more comfortable, wider spread.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

OhsH posted:

HI. You dont need rudder pedals to fly the huey. Only two options are either i am a god pilot in a helicopter (i'm not) or the huey isn't as bad as everybody says w/r/t rudder pedals/twist stick (its this one).

I agree, twist stick may not be ideal but it is entirely adequate. Also, if you go the cheap joystick + pedals route, you're going to be stuck with the fiddly little throttle on the joystick for the collective.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

EvilJoven posted:

You're staring down a rabbit hole, duder. Don't do it.

One of us . . . One of us . . .

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm gonna ask for the CH pedals for Christmas and probably pick up the CH combatstick in the meantime. Unless the fighterstick is worth the extra $30?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm gonna ask for the CH pedals for Christmas and probably pick up the CH combatstick in the meantime. Unless the fighterstick is worth the extra $30?

The combat stick doesn't have a 4-way switch on the side and it's short one on top. Depending on which aircraft you fly and how spergy you are, it may not be. In the F-16 and A-10 at least, I can't see myself doing without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Probably worth the extra moolah for the A10C and the F16 and any other modern sim coming out soon. I think the CH Fighterstick is a long-term keeper.