Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

MikeJF posted:

Melbourne kinda has something like this but with its CBD, weirdly enough.

That would be the Hoddle Grid - the same surveyor, Robert Hoddle, also charted out the greater grid to align to magnetic north at the time so it wasn't like two guys trying to gently caress each others' poo poo up.

Actually I have had a go at a city using pretty much the same idea - an 4x8 block grid parallel to a river and then a different grid for the greater area. Now if there was a hook turn mod...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SNES Simcity is still my favorite city builder after Simcity 4 I think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I keep going back to SC3000 every few months. There's just something uniquely charming about it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

Was the SNES version of Simcity the only one that came with scenarios? With what the developers have built with this game it'd be kinda cool if Skylines2 could have (or offer through map mods) a sort of scenario gameplay option where you have to a fix an existing piece of transit infrastructure within limited funds, time, real estate, and who knows what else that you can either accept or try to Machiavelli into something better.

Example: The new State Route 520 bridge has been completed and from the freeway's start in the suburbs, to across Lake Washington, to the shores of Seattle the entire freeway is a testament to modern transit design. However no one thought about or wanted to pay for the last mile that connects the new spectacular bridge to the US Interstate Highway 5 that represents the new state route's terminus. You have a new 6 lane freeway trying to connect perpendicularly to an 8 lane freeway using a single mile of interconnecting, deteriorating roadway consisting of four lanes that is also a causeway bridge over a small bay. All of the surrounding land is privately owned, you'll need to find a way to make this work.

Your starting budget is $1 billion, an election cycle is coming, the existing 4 lane connector will structurally fail in 15 years, eminent domain is a short term solution that may get you the road you want but will also result in citizen driven voting initiatives and lawsuits that will cripple the funding of the transit department during construction.

GOAL: Replace or reconfigure this interchange and have your solution work effectively for 30 in-game years. And no matter what you come up with and how frugal or logical you are a lot of people will still personally hate you. Good luck.

I think I just suggested a 4x strategy transit simulator :psyduck:

Funny, I was just thinking about scenarios this morning, and was going to post about it here. I remember SimCity 2000 had one, Hollywood Hills fires or some such. You start out and there's fires everywhere, you need to rebuild.

There is a lot of potential for this in Skylines, mostly along the "fix this traffic gently caress-up" line of things.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Wanna get back into this after not playing for a few months.

Are there any "must have" mods yet? Any huuuuge changes that are worth knowing? Is traffic the same? DLC worth it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In my city there is a crossroads that's notorious because of several major roads joining up and they finally created a solution that's somewhat elegant. I kind of wish C:S allowed us to create these kinds of sorting options...

brown is bicycle (tunnels), south is a gas station.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 26, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

double nine posted:

In my city there is a crossroads that's notorious because of several major roads joining up and they finally created a solution that's somewhat elegant. I kind of wish C:S allowed us to create these kinds of sorting options...

brown is bicycle (tunnels), south is a gas station.

Its somewhat maddening to build (let alone look nice) with the tools and you would probably need to mod lane assignments if you want it to work like real life, but I was able to throw together a 5 way roundabout working on Skylines basic interpretation of how that intersection filters. Not sure it'd be any more efficient than a non filtering sort in the game (iirc it prioritizes ramps for yields so it shouldn't behave like an absolute hog at least) but I bet it looks pretty cool when traffic hits it.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

BBJoey posted:

why is everything a grid

Did someone say grids and/or roundabouts?

I literally have no idea what they were smoking when they built this. it's a clusterfuck 24/7.

Bonus round:

Enjoy 2 motorways, 1 motorway that ends, 2 ringroads, 1 side road and 1 major arterial route into the city all within 1/2 a mile of each other.

The left most motorway has no traffic lights onto the roundabout yet the north/south one does :iiam:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

And the bottom one has a shopping park right in the mix (well, two technically) AND two different business parks. I'm just thankful there's no school near there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know why but english city planning makes me angry, even madder than the worst american sprawl. Driving on the wrong side just makes it even more sickening.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

I recently picked up After Dark after not having played for a few months. I'm noticing clouds and/or fog at almost all zoom levels that kind of shits up the game for me. Google turned up very little on the topic. Anyone have a similar experience?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Japanese urban "planning" pisses me off to no end. It just sucks. There is nowhere reasonable for bikes to go, as a result bikes go all over the place. Everything has traffic lights, everything is slow, bikes and pedestrians ram into each other all the time and the only reason people don't die more often is because of how slow everything is.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know why but english city planning makes me angry, even madder than the worst american sprawl. Driving on the wrong side just makes it even more sickening.

lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pretty much. It's not so much a “plan” as (de)evolution: a continuous succession of cumulative (bad) decisions to try to fix 500-year old problems with the street layout. There's a fair chance that Darwin just made up the whole HMS Beagle trip to make it sound more plausible — in reality he was just walking through Cambridge and thought to himself “how the hell did we end up with this?!” :haw:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I found a Paragon City (from city of heroes) region map, but does anyone know if there's a Rogue Islands terrain map? Also any of the iconic structures from CoH and CoV

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Hadlock posted:

52nd Ave
52nd Rd
52nd Dr
52nd Ct

Non-american here. What is the fourth one?

The top 3 are respectively
Avenue, Road and Drive i think?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Ineptitude posted:

Non-american here. What is the fourth one?

The top 3 are respectively
Avenue, Road and Drive i think?

Court

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tippis posted:

Pretty much. It's not so much a “plan” as (de)evolution: a continuous succession of cumulative (bad) decisions to try to fix 500-year old problems with the street layout. There's a fair chance that Darwin just made up the whole HMS Beagle trip to make it sound more plausible — in reality he was just walking through Cambridge and thought to himself “how the hell did we end up with this?!” :haw:

This. That thing where American cities occasionally have sections built completely ignoring the previous layout? We've been doing that much longer and it's usually built on top of a street layout which predates the concept of building more than one building at a time and which was probably originally laid by either Romans or goats.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's still nowhere near as depressing as pretty much ever American city I've ever seen, and that's an accomplishment because it's raining all the time here.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The maps are admittedly less soul crushing but the British post war cities have all the slickness of, well, an overdesigned Skylines city.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

zedprime posted:

The maps are admittedly less soul crushing but the British post war cities have all the slickness of, well, an overdesigned Skylines city.

How up to date is the OP? Id like to start playing again and need to know what mods are must have / recommended.

e: last time the op was updated was in May, I assume thing shave changed or progressed since then.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LumberingTroll posted:

How up to date is the OP? Id like to start playing again and need to know what mods are must have / recommended.

e: last time the op was updated was in May, I assume thing shave changed or progressed since then.

The OP is way out of date, yeah. If you want a good list here's one from a few weeks ago:

Tippis posted:

I'll just list my collection, separate in “stuff that should probably be in the game”…

• All 25 areas purchasable
• Auto Line Color
• Automatic Bulldoze
• City Vitals Watch
• Extended Building Information
• Extended Public Transport UI
• Extra Landscaping Tools (or at a minimum TreeBrush
• Fine Road Heights
• Info View Button Enabler
• NoPillars
• Pause on load
• Precision Engineering
• Traffic Manager + Improved AI or Traffic++ depending on preferred complexity/micro management level.
• Traffic Report Tool

…and “stuff that's more fun or fixes small irritations.”

• Cimtographer
• Dropouts (less necessary now when the “School's out” policy exists).
• Early Death + Skylines Overwatch
• Enhanced Zoom
• European Buildings Unlocker
• Infinite Oil And Ore
• Mod Achievement Enabler

We may want a new OP at some point to keep mods more up to date.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Since then, I've added the following to my list:

• Advanced Vehicle Options
• Improved Public Transport
• Persistent Resource View

…as near must-haves, and the following two as something optional that really changes up the dynamic of the game since all zones become much more dense, which in turn creates very different demands on services like education and public transport:

• Realistic Population/Consumption
• Control Building Level-up

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Tippis posted:

A lot of leicester's problems is that a city planner came in in the 60s, proposed a giant system of elevated walkways and ring roads. The goverment built the ringroads then cancelled the plans for the elevated walkways.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I saw this one the other day, but haven't tried it myself yet:
Sharp Junction Angles

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nielsm posted:

Sharp Junction Angles

I can't understand why this isn't just default. Why did CO make the angles not allowed to be realistically sharp? I can see them allowing insane unrealistic angles on trains and stuff to make things a bit more accessible, but outright forbidding angles that look good for trains and highways???

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

nielsm posted:

Sharp Junction Angles

Ooh. Neat. That definitely looks like it's worth some testing.
That said, I don't know if it's a (different) mod issue or something else, but I've noticed that vehicles sometimes seem to have pathing issues with sharp angles. I first noticed it when my bus lines refused to connect properly as I routed them through some of the tighter roundabouts I had built. I wonder if that would become an even bigger problem with the kind of junctions that mod allows you to build.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tippis posted:

Ooh. Neat. That definitely looks like it's worth some testing.
That said, I don't know if it's a (different) mod issue or something else, but I've noticed that vehicles sometimes seem to have pathing issues with sharp angles. I first noticed it when my bus lines refused to connect properly as I routed them through some of the tighter roundabouts I had built. I wonder if that would become an even bigger problem with the kind of junctions that mod allows you to build.

I think CiM2 has something like that too, disallowing turns on very sharp corners. You really can't make a good right-turn if the angle is 160 deg in real life either.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Was there ever a fix for all the traffic getting into the lane that they would be turning in right away no matter how far away the turn is?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

Was there ever a fix for all the traffic getting into the lane that they would be turning in right away no matter how far away the turn is?

No, because it's by design.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

nielsm posted:

I think CiM2 has something like that too, disallowing turns on very sharp corners. You really can't make a good right-turn if the angle is 160 deg in real life either.

Well, yes. That makes sense, but the curious thing is that it's almost the exact opposite that causes issues for me, and only intermittently which makes it even more strange.

I have a fairy standard build where I split a 3+3-lane road into two one-way 3-lanes (i.e. bits of freeway) that join a roundabout at an angle, just to keep the traffic from having to turn 90° as they enter and exit the roundabout. Normally, those on/off bits of road connect with the roundabout at ~45° (according to precision engineering), and everything's peachy. If I reduce that angle, meaning there's less of a turn for the traffic, it somehow, breaks the AI path finding.

e: It's the design front and centre(ish) that occasionally exhibits this issue if the angles become a bit more extreme:

I can make the join between 6-lane and 3-lanes as sharp as the game allows without a problem, but somehow, the entry and exit with the roundabout has to be >45° or the traffic gets really confused for some reason, even though it's all moving in one direction and should just be a matter of driving almost straight ahead. :haw:

In practice, it's not a problem because it's trivially easy not to make it happen — it's just curious that it does happen for some reason.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 27, 2015

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Man, when will After Dark go on sale?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Danny Glands posted:

Man, when will After Dark go on sale?

I too am checking Steam constantly.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

nielsm posted:

No, because it's by design.

This is dumb.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

LumberingTroll posted:

This is dumb.

A better traffic simulation is very resource intensive and CO did not want the game to be limited strictly to people with high end gaming rigs.

If you have a high end gaming rig then install Traffic++ and enjoy.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

LumberingTroll posted:

This is dumb.

A better approximation of RL would be the same behavior, except at least 10% of the cars pull out into the passing lane and force a merger near the exit anyway, exacerbating the situation

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

A better approximation of RL would be the same behavior, except at least 10% of the cars pull out into the passing lane and force a merger near the exit anyway, exacerbating the situation
Beep boop as a traffic robot I must inform you that this is usually the recommended procedure for backed up exits

It would help with logjamming other intersections upstream, but with the money you usually have you can sew up overflow like that fairly tidily by treating the road like the parking lot it is and just plastering extra parking area if you really insist that everybody must take that route like an idiot.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you have a high end gaming rig then install Traffic++ and enjoy.

Does this actually address the issue? I see its also compatible with Trafic Manager now, does that apply to Traffic Manager Plus?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I started playing this, and for a little while all was well. Now it crashes whenever it tries to autosave my city.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Angrymog posted:

I started playing this, and for a little while all was well. Now it crashes whenever it tries to autosave my city.

Any suggestions?

One place to start is to look at the log file for some leads:

<SteamFolder>\SteamApps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt