Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jack Trades posted:

I can't rebind my controller controls for some reasons. My Xbox controller works absolutely fine as long as I use a preset but it won't let me rebind anything.
Anyone else had the same issue?

Yes. The very short version is "Frontier is dumb and isn't good about letting you rebind xbox controls via the UI without shenanigans". There's an XML file with all of the bindings in the installation folder; there's a flag near the top that basically says "Don't let the game modify this". If you remove the flag, you'll be able to rebind the controls in the UI, but what the controls do won't properly show up in the overlay in-game.

If you go the extra mile and modify the xml file by hand, all of the overlays will work as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

TorakFade posted:

I want a proper multirole, cheapish ship to gently caress around that can do whatever. Some cargo space, decent weapons and shields, good jump range, low rebuy. Imperial courier? Or wait for the Cobra mk 4?

I love the concept of the new cobra but they tend to make improved ships heavier and fatter, and I would rather not have worse range / agility than the mk 3 (also for God sake frontier give it better shields)
I like the Courier, but the jump range and cargo capacity are both pretty mediocre. I'd probably say Viper Mk4 or Cobra Mk3 until we know more about the new Cobra. The Asp Scout might also be worth a look, as well as the DBE.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Oh, and as a warning I tried to play this with a steam controller on a steamlink, made a controller binding, hated it, went back to play on my actual PC and had lost my joystick binding. Don't know why or if I did something wrong but watch out.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Helter Skelter posted:

First, you need a discovery scanner. These come in three varieties: Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced.

Basic discovery scanners come with all ships when purchased (and can be sold to be replaced with a better one or free up the internal slot for something else) and will scan out to a range of 500ls. Advanced cost a bunch of money for a newbie and scan out to 1000ls, I've never really bothered with them because... Advanced cost 1 million credits and will scan the entire system in one go no matter how large. You really want the Advanced version, so maybe hold off the hardcore exploring unless you're some kind of masochist who enjoys spotting distant bodies through parallax.

Anyway, you assign that scanner to a fire group, then any time you jump into an unexplored system just honk your space-horn and see what pops up. This is what the game considers a Level 1 scan. You can just sell this basic exploration data at any station located more than 20ly from where it was gathered (select the "Universal Cartographics" option at the station menu), and if you're just packing a scanner along while you're just on your way somewhere, it can be a nice way of collecting a bit of cash while you're scooping fuel and/or waiting for your FSD to cool down for the next jump. You can also get a bit more information about an object (and thus, money) by targeting it and flying close enough for your ship's scanners to do a more detailed scan. This is a Level 2 scan. Level 3 scans are even more detailed and can only be achieved by fitting your ship with a Detailed Surface Scanner, which is a module that costs 250k, and then doing the same thing (point ship at targeted object, get close).

Payout for exploration depends on what's in the system and the detail level of the scans. More interesting planets (like candidates for terraforming or anything with life on it) and stellar masses (eg black holes and neutron stars) will pay out more money (particularly if detailed scans are gathered), while boring stuff like brown dwarf stars and lovely little ice planets will pay out much less.

Nobody gets rich quick off of exploring, but if you get touched by the space madness bug and decide to take a vacation to the center of the galaxy or something, it can make for a decent enough payday once you get back.

This should be explained in the OP, by the way

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Oh, and as a warning I tried to play this with a steam controller on a steamlink, made a controller binding, hated it, went back to play on my actual PC and had lost my joystick binding. Don't know why or if I did something wrong but watch out.

E:D will hold one "Custom" binding at any given time, as far as I can tell. If you use the base defaults then you're fine, but if you change controllers schemes and change anything at all, you'll blow away your old "custom" one.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Haven't played since before Powerplay dropped. Have there been any drastic changes to mechanics I should know about?

What colour settings are you using?

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Also regarding xbox controllers. I think that you can make custom bindings, but you'll have to use the "keyboard and mouse" or "empty custom" binding presets as the base and bind all controls from scratch instead of modifying the default xbox bindings. At least I remember making a custom xbox controller bindings sometime during gamma or standard beta and not having to mess with xml, so unless they locked the xbox controller down after that (which is possible) it should work just like any other controller as long as you don't try to modify the default xbox preset profile.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Libluini posted:

Well, for multirole the Imperial Courier is kind of poo poo. The cargo space is practically non-existent. Or you just have to live with refitting the drat thing every time you want to do something new.

The Diamondback Explorer would probably more like what you want, you can make it heavily armed while retaining 30+ light year range. It has decent agility and you can press 16t cargo into the hull when you forego the AFM.

Cobra MK3 would be the obvious choice until the Cobra MK4 comes out (for those of us with both the base game and the expansion. :v:).

The new Viper-variant is also quite good. It has less agility but tons more armor and jump range than the old Viper. But of course this is another ship where you have to wait. The Asp Scout would be ideal, since it's just a cheaper, downgraded Asp.

If you want to stay cheap I'm out of ideas at that point, though. Cobra 3, DBE or waiting.

I tried the DBE a while ago and it was kind of meh, the 1 large / 2 medium hardpoints aren't that good with the smallish PP / distributor and even with A thrusters it's not what I'd call agile (but the Vulture has forever spoiled me in this regard). Having 30 LY range is good but 20LY would be quite good enough for general farting around.

I loved my A-rated Cobra and have fond memories of it from patch 1.1 or so, but that lovely shield in a metagame where shield beefiness is king ... it was fine back then when the alternative was the Viper with extra shields but no hull whatsoever, but now there's bigger badder ships coming at you, and most new ships have the same firepower and better agility/shields compared to it.

What I would really like is a fast, agile craft with middle-of-the-line weapon setup and some cargo hauling ability - basically a DBS with more internal slots and a bit more shields, and/or a Courier with bigger internal slots and a bit less shields. It's not like being able to carry 32 tons of cargo instead of 8 or 16 is gamebreaking for a small ship, actual big-money trading starts at 100 tons, and I could live with a pricier hull if the internals are not too expensive (like the FdL or Courier).

Anyway I have purchased Horizons so I'll just wait and get the Cobra Mk IV, hopefully they put some decent shields on it and don't make it go 200m/s tops with 3 agility or some nonsense like that :frontear:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 27, 2015

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Oo Koo posted:

Also regarding xbox controllers. I think that you can make custom bindings, but you'll have to use the "keyboard and mouse" or "empty custom" binding presets as the base and bind all controls from scratch instead of modifying the default xbox bindings. At least I remember making a custom xbox controller bindings sometime during gamma or standard beta and not having to mess with xml, so unless they locked the xbox controller down after that (which is possible) it should work just like any other controller as long as you don't try to modify the default xbox preset profile.

For what it's worth, any time I went into the default controller scheme and modified it, the scheme would update to 'controller custom' or some such. So the default profile never changed, but it would port over the defaults to the custom scheme and then I could make changes, essentially. But, you know, being frontier YMMV :shrug:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

TorakFade posted:

I tried the DBE a while ago and it was kind of meh, the 1 large / 2 medium hardpoints aren't that good with the smallish PP / distributor and even with A thrusters it's not what I'd call agile (but the Vulture has forever spoiled me in this regard). Having 30 LY range is good but 20LY would be quite good enough for general farting around.

I loved my A-rated Cobra and have fond memories of it from patch 1.1 or so, but that lovely shield in a metagame where shield beefiness is king ... it was fine back then when the alternative was the Viper with extra shields but no hull whatsoever, but now there's bigger badder ships coming at you, and most new ships have the same firepower and better agility/shields compared to it.

What I would really like is a fast, agile craft with middle-of-the-line weapon setup - basically a DBS with more internal slots and a bit more shields, and/or a Courier with bigger internal slots and a bit less shields.

Anyway I have purchased Horizons so I'll just wait and get the Cobra Mk IV, hopefully they put some decent shields on it and don't make it go 200m/s tops with 3 agility or some nonsense like that :frontear:

The only niche I can see for the Cobra MKIV is as a shorter jump range more combat-focused Asp but I can't really see that happening; either it's going to have lovely speed and agility or lovely shields. All the new ships have been bad so I'm setting the bar really low.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Even if not, reinforcement-mods, especially the smaller ones, get a massive buff so going armor over shields will become easier. As an example, class 3 RPs will go from 60 to 260. Additionally, Frontier has promised the new RPs will add damage reduction to make it harder to lose modules. Put a class 3 RP on a Cobra and it's suddenly harder to kill than an Asp. :getin:

alphabettitouretti posted:

Haven't played since before Powerplay dropped. Have there been any drastic changes to mechanics I should know about?

What colour settings are you using?

Fresh from my override-xml:

<MatrixRed> 0.21, 0.29, 0.93 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 1, 1 </MatrixBlue>

There's also a green one I shamelessly stole from another goon you'll see appearing in later screenshots, but when I got back home I noticed there's some text you can barely make out with it, so I changed back to this one.

Edit:

gently caress, I hate it when people post faster then I can type. :mad:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 27, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

The only niche I can see for the Cobra MKIV is as a shorter jump range more combat-focused Asp but I can't really see that happening; either it's going to have lovely speed and agility or lovely shields. All the new ships have been bad so I'm setting the bar really low.

I wish they just do as it says on the tin : a more expensive, better version of the MkIII to keep it relevant once you have more than 10 millions. Similar speed/agility/internals, 1 more small hardpoint with better placement, some more base shield rating and let's say 5x the hull price.

But I fear they're not going that way. Since it has one more hardpoint and more utility slots, it's surely going to have higher base weight + more weight from the extra stuff on it - so lower jump range, speed and agility are pretty much a given (unless they slap a size 5 FSD / thrusters in which case :getin: ), and those are EXACTLY what I look for in a multirole ship :smith:

Also while we're dreaming, I hope they put more size 1 internals on some ships. It feels so wasteful to use a size 2+ slot for a discovery scanner...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 27, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

TorakFade posted:

I wish they just do as it says on the tin : a more expensive, better version of the MkIII to keep it relevant once you have more than 10 millions. Similar speed/agility/internals, 1 more small hardpoint with better placement, some more base shield rating and let's say 5x the hull price.

But I fear they're not going that way. Since it has one more hardpoint and more utility slots, it's surely going to have higher base weight + more weight from the extra stuff on it - so lower jump range, speed and agility are pretty much a given (unless they slap a size 5 FSD / thrusters in which case :getin: ), and those are EXACTLY what I look for in a multirole ship :smith:

Also while we're dreaming, I hope they put more size 1 internals on some ships. It feels so wasteful to use a size 2+ slot for a discovery scanner...

Or, y'know, combine the two 2-ton adv. discovery and detail surface scanners into one four-ton size 2 module

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Libluini posted:

Even if not, reinforcement-mods, especially the smaller ones, get a massive buff so going armor over shields will become easier. As an example, class 3 RPs will go from 60 to 260. Additionally, Frontier has promised the new RPs will add damage reduction to make it harder to lose modules. Put a class 3 RP on a Cobra and it's suddenly harder to kill than an Asp. :getin:

The Asp might regain some of its previous appeal as a mid range multi role combat ship because it becomes tanky as gently caress when you cram it full of the new hull reinforcements and it's got good enough shields to be worth combining with SCBs. I mean the FAS is straight up better but that's a much more expensive ship with fewer multi role refitting possibilities.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Literally Kermit posted:

Or, y'know, combine the two 2-ton adv. discovery and detail surface scanners into one four-ton size 2 module

And have the docking computer enable AI flight for more things like supercruise approaches and scooping cargo. That'd be a huge quality of life improvement for early miners who can't efficiently use collectors due to their small ships. Or traders who want to sacrifice a small slot to gain perfect speed in SC and also not go mad with tedium.

Dream on.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sard posted:

And have the docking computer enable AI flight for more things like supercruise approaches and scooping cargo. That'd be a huge quality of life improvement for early miners who can't efficiently use collectors due to their small ships.

If a small ship has enough space for an AI flight computer, then it has enough room for a single collector module.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Which stick would be the best in the $100-$200 range? I was looking at the x52 pro but I wouldn't be opposed to spending $200 on a better stick.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Shine posted:

If a small ship has enough space for an AI flight computer, then it has enough room for a single collector module.

Yeah but if you're doing small ship mining and you've done a little homework, you'll be hunting exclusively for painite and platinum to make your money trading it in through the bulletin board. Fitting the collector controller is one thing, but you're also going to have to devote some of your very limited cargo space to limpets which is going to be awkward as your ship gets more and more full of refined stuff. Unless you get really lucky, you'll be spending most of the lifespan of any one drone looking for the next rare rock. I think it'd be less of a headache to let the computer scoop it, AI ships are pretty quick about it if you watch them work and it'd play well with the agility of something like the Adder.

They might as well add value to a presently valueless module.

Sard fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 27, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Adult Sword Owner posted:

This should be explained in the OP, by the way

I've had it in the second post that people should post guides for a number of topics and I'll put them there, exploration is one of those things I'm not an expert on. Format it as self-contained guide and I'll quote it there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sard posted:

Yeah but if you're doing small ship mining and you've done a little homework, you'll be hunting exclusively for painite and platinum to make your money trading it in through the bulletin board. Fitting the collector controller is one thing, but you're also going to have to devote some of your very limited cargo space to limpets which is going to be awkward as your ship gets more and more full of refined stuff. Unless you get really lucky, you'll be spending most of the lifespan of any one drone looking for the next rare rock. I think it'd be less of a headache to let the computer scoop it, AI ships are pretty quick about it if you watch them work and it'd play well with the agility of something like the Adder.

They might as well add value to a presently valueless module.

Limpet management isn't as hard as you're making it sound. An unshielded Cobra (the smallest thing I'd bother using for mining) can hold 48 tons of cargo/limpets even if it uses prospector and collector modules. Simply bring 30 or limpets, burn through them with the prospector module, and if you get lucky early on and find some good rocks and fill your hold, then dump a few limpets between rocks to make room. To do this, simply depower your collector module to scuttle your active limpet, dump excess limpets/junk rocks, and then fly a KM or two away so the dumped stuff will be out of range of your next collector. If your hold fills up while you're mining and you need to dump things, then just fly away from the rock, dump junk, and fly back (keep your prospector targeted so you can find the rock again). Then you can resume mining that rock.

Easy peasy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

Limpet management isn't as hard as you're making it sound. An unshielded Cobra (the smallest thing I'd bother using for mining) can hold 48 tons of cargo/limpets even if it uses prospector and collector modules. Simply bring 30 or limpets, burn through them with the prospector module, and if you get lucky early on and find some good rocks and fill your hold, then dump a few limpets between rocks to make room. To do this, simply depower your collector module to scuttle your active limpet, dump excess limpets/junk rocks, and then fly a KM or two away so the dumped stuff will be out of range of your next collector. If your hold fills up while you're mining and you need to dump things, then just fly away from the rock, dump junk, and fly back (keep your prospector targeted so you can find the rock again). Then you can resume mining that rock.

Easy peasy.

You can also just shoot your prospector limpets into random rocks to make room. Just shoot another one back into the rock you're working on after you made some room.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
e; wrong thread

Kowboat
Mar 3, 2006

Grenouilles Sans Frontieres

TorakFade posted:

Basically why I'm not looking forward to the Cobra mk4. If it's slower, it loses the ability to outrun things, at which point you're better off in a bigger/tougher ship anyway.

The privilege of picking your battles is worth a lot more than centered hardpoints. :colbert:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kowboat posted:

Basically why I'm not looking forward to the Cobra mk4. If it's slower, it loses the ability to outrun things, at which point you're better off in a bigger/tougher ship anyway.

The privilege of picking your battles is worth a lot more than centered hardpoints. :colbert:

I think they need to clarify the whole "No ship is obsolete" thing 'cause as far as the Brown Sea is confirmed it means all combat ships should be side grades of the Sidewinder.

It is disappointing to have 300 Million in the bank and still spend all my playtime in an Asp or Cobra.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MisterZimbu posted:

Is there a way to tell which direction your ship is pointing? I think it'd be neat to find something interesting in the distance, then find it on the galaxy map and plot a course there; but I don't see anything on the HUD resembling a compass I can use.

Or are all the pretty looking things off in the distance too far away to actually reach even through hyperspace, and just there for decoration?

Get this if you're averse to spending money (or something more expensive if not).

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...eywords=hotas+x

The Thrustmaster is great, I got one of these earlier to replace the exact same old as fuckin balls Thrustmaster I've had since the BF'42 days.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Which stick would be the best in the $100-$200 range? I was looking at the x52 pro but I wouldn't be opposed to spending $200 on a better stick.

I'm not a fan of Saitek, their QA is spotty and they have a tendency to break early. Though generally, if your stick lasts a month, it'll last forever. I have a T-Flight Hotas X, which punches way above its weight and offers a lot of the capabilities of the x-52, with what I think is a better stick and throttle response. The X-52 is the stick and throttle in your in-game cockpit, though.

If you don't care about "Things looking pretty" or fancy MFDs or what not, the CH Fighterstick and Throttle Pro come out to a little north of 200 bucks and are basically the best money you can spend. The throttle has an analog thumbstick on it that works perfectly for vertical/lateral thrust

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
X55 is rad as hell when it doesn't decide that you totally pressed the switch for silent running in the middle of combat

I've actually removed bindings for that and cargo scoop and something else I am blanking on because it kept loving turning on at random moments

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

MarcusSA posted:

I really like my Thrustmaster T.16000m. If I wanted to get something with a separate throttle, my next step up would probably just be to keep using the same stick but add a CH Pro Throttle.

X55 would probably be really cool if it didn't have so many reliability issues.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Bushiz posted:

If you don't care about "Things looking pretty" or fancy MFDs or what not, the CH Fighterstick and Throttle Pro come out to a little north of 200 bucks and are basically the best money you can spend. The throttle has an analog thumbstick on it that works perfectly for vertical/lateral thrust

A thousand times, yes! That stick is amazingly good for thrusters. After an hour or so I was using it without even thinking. Combine that with putting the reverse thruster on the left pedal axis (not the yaw, but the pedal itself) and it's very easy to do Fancy Pilot poo poo with the setup.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
I just picked up E:D and have this fancy CH throttle and Fighterstick to use. My problem is that the game won't recognize either controller, the CH configuration tool looks like it was written in 1982 and is virtually incomprehensible, and the official E:D forums were zero loving help.

The weird thing is that the Controller configuration menu in the game doesn't even list all the saved config files, just give or six random ones.

Any guesses what it might be?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Elite shouldn't have any issues with them, I know there are plenty of people using that combo with the game.

Many of the presets are tied to specific hardware. That is, they won't show up unless you have that hardware plugged in. For my Thrustmaster, I used the generic joystick preset as a starting point and customized from there.

If you're simply having issues mapping stuff (like, you're pressing buttons but they aren't being recognized), make sure that any CH profiling software is disabled.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Goredema posted:

I just picked up E:D and have this fancy CH throttle and Fighterstick to use. My problem is that the game won't recognize either controller, the CH configuration tool looks like it was written in 1982 and is virtually incomprehensible, and the official E:D forums were zero loving help.

The weird thing is that the Controller configuration menu in the game doesn't even list all the saved config files, just give or six random ones.

Any guesses what it might be?

Do the controllers work in the Windows joystick test or in the CH Control Manager? Do they work in any other games (even something like Half-Life letting you map them)?

Sard
May 11, 2012

I'm getting close to buying another new ship, possibly a Type 9 so I have a new high-end dedicated miner for the next mining CG, with some trade work inbetween. I just found an interesting guide to rogue traders and was curious- is this a reliable way to make good money, running weapons and narcotics to these ships? It seems like a more engaging way of offloading goods, but I'm not sure if this is any better than trade routes than those indicated by eddb.io. The best I usually get from the automatic route tool is 3000-3500 for short range loops, but I've seen people mention routes worth over 4000 before, what's the trick there?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sard posted:

I'm getting close to buying another new ship, possibly a Type 9 so I have a new high-end dedicated miner for the next mining CG, with some trade work inbetween. I just found an interesting guide to rogue traders and was curious- is this a reliable way to make good money, running weapons and narcotics to these ships? It seems like a more engaging way of offloading goods, but I'm not sure if this is any better than trade routes than those indicated by eddb.io. The best I usually get from the automatic route tool is 3000-3500 for short range loops, but I've seen people mention routes worth over 4000 before, what's the trick there?

It's certainly more interesting. I think the "trick" here is partly luck partly what kind of ship you have. Finding a system in civil war (because seeking weapons crafts pay the most) should be as easy as surveying the Power play map or just stumbling on them cause they're loving everywhere. The trick is finding a station that sells those goods for a reasonable price. This probably doesn't matter if you're in a trade spec anaconda and can haul 400 tons of whatever at range. Though anything that takes a hit on jump range fully loaded might be rough if that system isn't nearby. Still a viable and more interesting way of making money while trading for sure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for all the stick advice! I'll go with the CH for Christmas.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Picked this up in the sale after a few friends convinced me. It reminds me of X3 without all of the empire building stuff I never bothered to do in X3, which is a good thing. Much like X3 I got into the game (even after reading both OPs and watching the tutorial videos) with that wondeful overwhelming feeling of a space game.

I suppose early on I should just stick with space trucker missions until I get something that isn't the SIdewinder? I got interdicted by a Python earlier and probably would've died horribly if I didn't have a wing with me. The Viper sounds great since BnZ is hilariously fun to do in WT, so if that translates to Elite then I'll probably make a beeline for that.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Someone on 1.5 found the old shadow bug for asteroids. Apparently, you can keep pressing the key "3" in your keyboard to make it right.

Its pretty sad that we have been playing for months with bad asteroids. Many people were thinking that the game was downgraded in graphics in some of the latest versions. So its either a bug, or they did downgrade the graphics and now in 1.5 beta you can get the old shadows back unintentionally. Hope they fix the bug soon.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dante80 posted:

Its pretty sad that we have been playing for months with bad asteroids. Many people were thinking that the game was downgraded in graphics in some of the latest versions. So its either a bug, or they did downgrade the graphics and now in 1.5 beta you can get the old shadows back unintentionally. Hope they fix the bug soon.
I would love to see a regression report someday for E:D. "Fixed 62 bugs. Introduced 4 new bugs. 372 regressions to issues fixed in 1.0 - 1.4."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

99 little bugs in the code.
99 little bugs in the code.
Take one down, patch it around.

127 little bugs in the code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Have they actually promised anything as far as the rest of the "season two" is concerned? Like a number of new ships or number of new buggies or more poo poo to do besides what they have already implemented in Horizons (which I understand is some sort of materials grinding crafting system and scarab racing)?

Frankly the on-planet base in the sneak peek was not very impressive from an aerial view. I acknowledge there are standard modules but it would have been cool to have new textures on the landing pads at least or something.

• Locked thread