Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Another Person posted:

Not quite as pathetic as Riga giving Jake a run for his money, but DDRJake has been at war with the Ottomans for about an hour and a half here. He has never once been in positive warscore the entire time.

e; it has gone on so long that the mamluks peaced out of the original ottoman war and have since been called into a second war against them (e; and have now peaced out of a second ottoman war - generations have been born and died of old age in this war)

And now somehow he's taking over all the Ottomans land? It's like he failed so hard, it just overflowed into winning or something. Although it's why I'll never be this good at the game as him since I'd have given up long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

And now somehow he's taking over all the Ottomans land? It's like he failed so hard, it just overflowed into winning or something. Although it's why I'll never be this good at the game as him since I'd have given up long ago.

He did not achieve what he has now by 'being good'. Trust me. He has spent over 40 years in this one war, and has wasted about 2000 admin boosting stability due to stabhitting peace offers. At one point his entire nation was blanketed by rebels. Every single province. He lost Iraq to separatists. All of his other provinces were sieged by pretenders in the midst of a civil war. His nation was in such a poo poo state that both the Ottomans and Mamluks (who had no reason to be in his land other than pity) were chasing down his rebels.

Eventually what happened is that his pretenders succeded due to holding all of his land, giving him a free army, new ruler and full horde unity. Because the rebels held all of his land, the Ottomans held no more warscore than the score they earned from all of the battles DDRJake had lost, which was under the amount which allows stab hitting offers to still be sent.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 28, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Quill18 video where he gushes over the random new worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E0yk3x0elI

Another Person posted:

Eventually what happened is that his pretenders succeded due to holding all of his land, giving him a free army, new ruler and full horde unity. Because the rebels held all of his land, the Ottomans held no more warscore than the score they earned from all of the battles DDRJake had lost, which was under the amount which allows stab hitting offers to still be sent.
I wonder how long until that shows up in guides and walkthroughs. :v:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Another Person posted:

He did not achieve what he has now by 'being good'. Trust me. He has spent over 40 years in this one war, and has wasted about 2000 admin boosting stability due to stabhitting peace offers. At one point his entire nation was blanketed by rebels. Every single province. He lost Iraq to separatists. All of his other provinces were sieged by pretenders in the midst of a civil war. His nation was in such a poo poo state that both the Ottomans and Mamluks (who had no reason to be in his land other than pity) were chasing down his rebels.

Oh I understand all of that, but I'd say it takes some skill to even be able to hang on as long as he did. I'd have given up much sooner (and at the very least taken one of the peace deals that was tanking his stab). And losing Iraq wasn't actually that big of a deal since he kept his cores and was able to take all the new armies and get it right back. I think especially for achievement runs it still shows how you can manage seemingly untenable situations. I mean he did essentially break the Ottos by holding out like he did.

Granted, it likely wouldn't had gotten that dire had he taken loans, but that's not his style.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
So it's pretty much impossible to do anything as the HRE if the League Wars end in the Diet, correct? I was reading up on it, and it seems like the (massive) negative modifier to IA only is ignored if the war is fought, since it never went off, and almost every one of the non-catholic nations in the HRE are too expensive to force-convert in a war (and can't be broken up because all those minor cores have disappeared after centuries), is it even possible to sustain a positive IA per month at this point? There seem to be very few positive modifiers and a lot of negative modifers. In my Catholic Ottomans game, I finally got elected into the HRE and became Emperor in 1640, but by that time the League Wars died after no one did anything, and it's at a -0.2 IA per month even with every positive modifier I can throw out there, short of maybe annexing all of Northern Germany.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Another Person posted:

Surviving when that happens is generally evidence of being good. One thing he does is play the odds. He correctly assesses his long-term odds better than a lot of players and knows to hold on in situations where other players would quit. This allows him to often escape doom by e.g. having an enemy kill all his rebels or having another front open up or something. You can game failure. For example, when rebels rise up, this reduces your revolt risk a lot. If you can weaponize those rebels against your enemy, then the rebellion is actually a net positive.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Palleon posted:

So it's pretty much impossible to do anything as the HRE if the League Wars end in the Diet, correct? I was reading up on it, and it seems like the (massive) negative modifier to IA only is ignored if the war is fought, since it never went off, and almost every one of the non-catholic nations in the HRE are too expensive to force-convert in a war (and can't be broken up because all those minor cores have disappeared after centuries), is it even possible to sustain a positive IA per month at this point? There seem to be very few positive modifiers and a lot of negative modifers. In my Catholic Ottomans game, I finally got elected into the HRE and became Emperor in 1640, but by that time the League Wars died after no one did anything, and it's at a -0.2 IA per month even with every positive modifier I can throw out there, short of maybe annexing all of Northern Germany.

If you want to have any hope of uniting the Empire, you have to get rid of all the heretic princes, either by wiping them out or force converting them. Winning the war doesn't get rid of the negative modifier either.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
He did that in his Athens game too. Stayed in with the Ottomans for way longer than any sane person would stay in, was in red most of the time, had his allies separate peace him multiple times, had the entire chat screaming at him, but it still ended up okay for him. Kinda out of dumb luck. But still, that guy likes to be at war with the ottomans for long periods of time, I spose.

DDRJake might not be the best EUIV player in the world, but he has good foresight and he plays very fast and efficiently. Faster than his attention can keep up with, sometimes, but most of the time pretty skillfully.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Koramei posted:

Oh yeah, another significant change for some people from that stream: when you resign a game, it quits and restarts the whole program.

They said there were some issues from not doing that but I'm pretty curious what they are, 'cause even though it probably crashed a good 75%+ of the time for me when I hit resign anyway, I know some people take a good 5+ minutes to relaunch the game so this is gonna really screw them over.

Resigning and then loading an ironman game often disables ironman on the save.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are ck2-Converted Arabs going to have proper idea groups in Cossaks?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

How possible is it to run Eu4 on a laptop without a standalone gpu? Would a hd 5500 be able to run it at 1080P?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Dibujante posted:

Surviving when that happens is generally evidence of being good. One thing he does is play the odds. He correctly assesses his long-term odds better than a lot of players and knows to hold on in situations where other players would quit. This allows him to often escape doom by e.g. having an enemy kill all his rebels or having another front open up or something. You can game failure. For example, when rebels rise up, this reduces your revolt risk a lot. If you can weaponize those rebels against your enemy, then the rebellion is actually a net positive.

Nah. Being delayed by 50 years ingame and spending 2000 admin on nothing because you refuse to let go of a grudge is not being good. He was just having fun, but if he was to make the good call there he would have peaced out as soon as Genoa did, turned on Golden Horde, eaten all their land, took Crimea, maybe allied Pol-Lith, and then went back to the Ottomans in 20 years. All while gaining more tech. In this game he was not really gaming the rebels so much as they were gaming him.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Another Person posted:

Nah. Being delayed by 50 years ingame and spending 2000 admin on nothing because you refuse to let go of a grudge is not being good. He was just having fun, but if he was to make the good call there he would have peaced out as soon as Genoa did, turned on Golden Horde, eaten all their land, took Crimea, maybe allied Pol-Lith, and then went back to the Ottomans in 20 years. All while gaining more tech. In this game he was not really gaming the rebels so much as they were gaming him.

Playing optimally in EUIV, I've found, is a whole lot of not very much fun. Big, broad goals and little rules usually makes the game what it is, instead of just mindlessly devouring smaller states until you're unstoppably strong. In any case I think DDRJake is a good player that plays by his own set of rules because, after playing the game as long as he has (as well as EUIV literally being his day job) min-maxing has maybe lost its appeal. His goal that game was to fight the Ottomans as tiny little Aq Qoyunlu, and that's what he did.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

If you want to have any hope of uniting the Empire, you have to get rid of all the heretic princes, either by wiping them out or force converting them. Winning the war doesn't get rid of the negative modifier either.

Guess the wiki is wrong (this is my first game playing since IA was changed to this ticking thing so I have no idea. Does Admin efficiency make force conversions cheaper?

Edit: apparently it's only if the Peace of Westphalia was signed that ends the malus.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 28, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
When I played Austria HRE I still had enough IA gain when I fired peace of Westphalia automatically. It mitigates heretic IA loss and if you can keep the empire at peace. Make sure all provinces are in the empire and you have a good number of princes. When you revoke the privileges, you can convert the empire back to Catholic via the vassal menu.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Sistergodiva posted:

How possible is it to run Eu4 on a laptop without a standalone gpu? Would a hd 5500 be able to run it at 1080P?
That will run the game fine.
I just built a new PC with an SSD and holy cow the game saves quickly now! Get an SSD if you can afford it.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Average Bear posted:

When I played Austria HRE I still had enough IA gain when I fired peace of Westphalia automatically. It mitigates heretic IA loss and if you can keep the empire at peace. Make sure all provinces are in the empire and you have a good number of princes. When you revoke the privileges, you can convert the empire back to Catholic via the vassal menu.

My problem is there was no war and therefore no Peace of Westphalia.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sistergodiva posted:

I think it's mostly a strain on the CPU and CK2 is worse in that regard

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

James The 1st posted:

That will run the game fine.
I just built a new PC with an SSD and holy cow the game saves quickly now! Get an SSD if you can afford it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S9Q9VS4

Crazy cheap, everyone should buy one

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

I think it's mostly a strain on the CPU and CK2 is worse in that regard

I've tried it, it works but speed five is more like speed four. You could spend a whole afternoon playing and not make it to the 1500s.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tendronai posted:

The Iberian wedding can't fire if Castile has less than 10 provinces

Boy that woulda helped a ton with Granada.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Woah thanks for the link. This is a really good deal.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
From ddrjakes stream:
-if you annex a nation while they still have units these units will turn into separatists.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Just came here to post that, I like the idea even if its probably going to cause a lot of grief long term.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Baron Porkface posted:

Are ck2-Converted Arabs going to have proper idea groups in Cossaks?

Considering nothing gets proper idea groups when converting I doubt it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Sorced posted:

From ddrjakes stream:
-if you annex a nation while they still have units these units will turn into separatists.

Will a nation even allow itself to be annexed with an army still active? It would take years if they did

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Am I not understanding this right, or do the new fort ZoC rules let you move from one fort's zone of control into another's if they're adjoining? So if you have a row of forts along your border, it'll basically act like a corridor that your enemy can run through unimpeded, with the only issue being if they want to leave that corridor? Or if you're a rich but compact power like Milan or Burgundy etc, and saturate your entire country with forts so every province is in one's ZoC, the enemy will just have free movement around your territory?

e: specifically if you look towards the end of Jake's mega war, once he finally hits the European side of the Ottomans, his armies just ran straight past the first fort's boundaries with no issue at all.

Also really not a fan of how you can't back out once you've entered a fort's control. This system seems even less intuitive than the last one did.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Karlings, Roman Empire and Sunset Invasion guys?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Average Bear posted:

Will a nation even allow itself to be annexed with an army still active? It would take years if they did

I see you haven't blocked many straits in your time...

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Sorced posted:

From ddrjakes stream:

Is this for annexing through a peace deal or annexing diplomatically? The former makes a lot of sense, the latter less so

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

420 Gank Mid posted:

Is this for annexing through a peace deal or annexing diplomatically? The former makes a lot of sense, the latter less so

It would be insignificant in gameplay but it would be cool flavor that if the country being diploannexed had negative stability, some portion of the standing army would become separatists.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Templars and Hashashins also get unique idea groups also, iirc.

The issue with Arabian Ideas not showing up for CK2-imported tags is that they're triggered by being part of a preset list of tags, rather than by culture group like a lot of other multi-tag idea groups. If a new tag is added with a primary culture in the Arabic culture group, they won't get Arabian ideas.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Playing Sweden now, going for the Sweden isn't OP achievement. Managed a drat smooth opening if I might say so myself.

Immediately declared war for independence with the assistance of Scotland, Novgorod and the Livonian Order. Got Skåne, Blekinge and Halland in the peace. Allied Poland, but they lost the PU with Lithuania and got into some really dumb war with everyone on the entire continent (Hungary allied with France and Austria and some other dudes) so I ditched them and allied Lithuania instead. Backstabbed Novgorod and got Neva, Novgorod and Ingermanland.

Noticed Denmark had lost the PU with Norway but were still allied. They got into some silly HRE war, my truce with them expired, I blocked the strait, declared on Norway and blammo:

Declared on poor 3-province Novgorod again and vassalized them + forced them to convert to Catholic. Next up, the filthy Muscovites. Declared for Novgorod reconquest, got Lithuania to join me. The Russians were allied with Denmark but just blockade the strait and their transports and they can't do poo poo. Being up one military tech level + the Swedish +20% infantry combat ability bonus + a 5% discipline advisor gave me a bigger advantage than I expected because I was winning even with armies half the size of the Russians'.

I believe this should keep the Muscovites down for a while. In the meantime, Poland and the Livonian Order are really weak and there's a bunch of Baltic trade ports that are looking really tempting right now...

Also, god drat the Administrative idea group has a lot of synergy with the Swedish national ideas and the Swedish playstyle. You're really short on manpower but who cares because mercs get suuuuper cheap.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 29, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Also, god drat the Administrative idea group has a lot of synergy with the Swedish national ideas and the Swedish playstyle. You're really short on manpower but who cares because mercs get suuuuper cheap.

+% Goods Produced modifiers :getin:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Pellisworth posted:

+% Goods Produced modifiers :getin:

also that, make dalaskogen pull in even more $$$

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

gently caress the Karling ideas, that loving thing loves to plaster itself over every single nation regardless of what dynasty controls it.

Spiderfist Island posted:

The Templars and Hashashins also get unique idea groups also, iirc.

The issue with Arabian Ideas not showing up for CK2-imported tags is that they're triggered by being part of a preset list of tags, rather than by culture group like a lot of other multi-tag idea groups. If a new tag is added with a primary culture in the Arabic culture group, they won't get Arabian ideas.

The issue with the converter is it doesn't understand cultural names so you get Norge with Norwegian ideas and has Norwegian rebels fighting Norge to form Norway for an example.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TheFluff posted:

also that, make dalaskogen pull in even more $$$

Yup all that iron and copper and fur mmmm

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Speaking of Sweden Isn't OP (and vassal starts in general), I noticed DDRJake did fairly well with his Mzab campaign by fighting an initial war of independence and taking a ton of land instead of actually winning independence. It seems like it's a lot easier to make big scary friends using support for independence than alliances. I wonder if it might be easier to just take a ton of Danish land in an opening Swedish war for independence.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Speaking of Sweden Isn't OP (and vassal starts in general), I noticed DDRJake did fairly well with his Mzab campaign by fighting an initial war of independence and taking a ton of land instead of actually winning independence. It seems like it's a lot easier to make big scary friends using support for independence than alliances. I wonder if it might be easier to just take a ton of Danish land in an opening Swedish war for independence.

With Sweden you're strong enough that breaking free earlier to start fighting other wars is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Personally, I think it's probably still easier in the mid or long term for Sweden to get independence ASAP. Kneecapping Muscovy before they become Russia is critical, and vassalizing Novgorod in your second war, followed by feeding Nov. and releasing Perm in war #3 is the easiest way to do this. The Danish and Norwegians, even together, are scrubs in comparison to Russia.

• Locked thread