Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

It's not about the number produced, it's about the number left. If 98% of them end up wrapped around a light pole or rusted to oblivion, you're set.

How many fox bodies do you see running around these days? What about the ugly jelly bean one that was after that? Not many. And then 90% of those are completely clapped out and on their last legs. There are a lot of cars from the last 20-25 years that are already getting really rare, the current gen Mustang won't be any different.

For me, it's not about and "investment", I just don't want something that I'm immediately upside down on from depreciation. Appreciating if I keep it long enough is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

How many fox bodies do you see running around these days? What about the ugly jelly bean one that was after that? Not many. And then 90% of those are completely clapped out and on their last legs. There are a lot of cars from the last 20-25 years that are already getting really rare, the current gen Mustang won't be any different.

For me, it's not about and "investment", I just don't want something that I'm immediately upside down on from depreciation. Appreciating if I keep it long enough is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

So we completely agree?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

So we completely agree?

Yeah, sorry, that was more directed at the other people, I was just quoting you for emphasis.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Powershift posted:

I don't want to push anybody into a foolish decision, but Shelby badged mustangs don't seem to depreciate nearly as much as most cars. 2011 MSRP was $50k and most are around $40k now. 2007 MSRP was $40k, and it takes 100,000 miles or a salvage title to drag em down to $25k.

You almost can't afford not to own one.

I don't think Ford discounts the Shelbys much, if at all. So that's probably part of what drives such high residuals. I took my Mustang to the shop and still had a new 2014 GT500 on the lot and were still asking MSRP for it (not that I inquired about it).

It's amusing to see people asking $4-5000 more for used GT500s than the handful of new ones left on the market.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

oRenj9 posted:

I don't think Ford discounts the Shelbys much, if at all. So that's probably part of what drives such high residuals. I took my Mustang to the shop and still had a new 2014 GT500 on the lot and were still asking MSRP for it (not that I inquired about it).

It's amusing to see people asking $4-5000 more for used GT500s than the handful of new ones left on the market.

Sometimes when I flip through and mecum is on they'll have some recent garage queen gt500 up for auction. I always laugh when the commentators give the msrp, talk about how great/rare they are, and it ends up selling for less. Money well spent.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Things that are sold as collectibles never are. One of my coworkers just traded out of a 2013 GT500 into a 2016 Z51 Corvette, partially because he said he was tired of worrying about destroying the value of the Cobra by actually driving it. I had multiple people ask me incredulously why I was daily-ing my 2006 GTO when I bought it.

:psyduck:

Buy it, and drive it like you stole it. The memories and fun you'll have will be worth far more than any value the car may actually retain.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Things that are sold as collectibles never are. One of my coworkers just traded out of a 2013 GT500 into a 2016 Z51 Corvette, partially because he said he was tired of worrying about destroying the value of the Cobra by actually driving it. I had multiple people ask me incredulously why I was daily-ing my 2006 GTO when I bought it.

:psyduck:

Buy it, and drive it like you stole it. The memories and fun you'll have will be worth far more than any value the car may actually retain.

Agreed. If I ever win the lottery I'm purposely buying some well known collectors cars to drive them like God intended.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

howling_mad posted:

Agreed. If I ever win the lottery I'm purposely buying some well known collectors cars to drive them like God intended.

I'm going to buy up all the remaining deloreans and paint them

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Has anyone thought about buying a new car and vinyl wrapping immediate? I was thinking that wrapping it right away would let you drive it for years and not have to worry about damaging the finish which would help with resale years down the road with the added benefit of getting a custom colour.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fknlo posted:

Yeah, I think they'll hold their value fairly well. I need to get serious and go see if I can find a non-R with the track pack to test drive. The sound they make is just so good. I don't think I'd have that hard of a time taking one over the 911's I've been looking at.

I know this is a page back but I feel like we're looking at similar cars with a similar budget. I'm looking at all sorts of options but every time I see a video about the GT350 I spend the next day justifying one. I've considered a 996TT, 997.2 C2S, e9x M3, etc. Each one of them are between 6 and 14 years old with a lot less power and no warranty. They also lack an 8250RPM V8 that can wake the dead. I could see a lot of first time Mustang buyers next year.

Looking through some forums it seems like you need to get on the waiting list soon and MSRP + market adjustment is the going rate. Hopefully they'll make enough that things calm down a bit. I think invoice on the non-R is $44k? With the track package you'd be in for around $50k, hard to beat that.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Pympede posted:

Has anyone thought about buying a new car and vinyl wrapping immediate? I was thinking that wrapping it right away would let you drive it for years and not have to worry about damaging the finish which would help with resale years down the road with the added benefit of getting a custom colour.

No. I'd imagine it wouldn't help a ton with value and might hold moisture against the paint so if any porous area would rust faster. I've thought about 3m protection film for front but I dunno if $1000 is worth it to me

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I know this is a page back but I feel like we're looking at similar cars with a similar budget. I'm looking at all sorts of options but every time I see a video about the GT350 I spend the next day justifying one. I've considered a 996TT, 997.2 C2S, e9x M3, etc. Each one of them are between 6 and 14 years old with a lot less power and no warranty. They also lack an 8250RPM V8 that can wake the dead. I could see a lot of first time Mustang buyers next year.

Looking through some forums it seems like you need to get on the waiting list soon and MSRP + market adjustment is the going rate. Hopefully they'll make enough that things calm down a bit. I think invoice on the non-R is $44k? With the track package you'd be in for around $50k, hard to beat that.

US non-R starts at $48k and is about $55k with the track pack. Still a really good deal for the amount of performance you're getting. And yeah, I'm in the exact same boat as you with those options. The price to fix the poo poo that will inevitably break is what worries the most. I make good money but would not enjoy eating a couple to a few $2k+ repairs on a 911 in a short timespan.

The R is going to be tough to get at anything close to invoice for a while. Once the first round or two of non-R cars get out I think things will calm down on them and you'll be able to snag one fairly easily at MSRP. I really need to find a dealer I want to work with and get my name on a list. The more I think about it the more the GT350 seems like the obvious choice.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Look up z06 brakes if you think a gt350 r is going to be cheap to upkeep.

Actually i'm feeling jolly:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2015/03/14/pic-corvette-z06z07-tires-and-brake-parts-cost-more-than-a-chevy-cruze/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2015/03/14/pic-corvette-z06z07-tires-and-brake-parts-cost-more-than-a-chevy-cruze/

The GT350R still has 2 piece steel brakes. The rotors are $300 each, not $3000 each like the carbon ceramic ones on the Z07

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...d&model=Mustang

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
How much are pads and tires? This is pretty amazing then on the rotors. The z28 is fast but with the crazy expensive parts then like sure good deal but upkeep sucks. GT350r could be driven regularly and not wreck you and out performs the z28.

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 29, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

How much are pads and tires?

Pads show up as $267/piece, but with the steel rotors there will be better/cheaper aftermarket. The calipers are only $310 a piece, which seems cheap for big brembo 6 piston jobbies.

The aluminum wheels are $1061 a piece which is standard factory stuff. The carbon fibre wheels are $3090 for the rears and 3648 for the fronts, so caution around curbs is advised.

OE tires for the GT350R are $2136 a set on tire rack, for the GT350 it's $1547 a set.

this is a $50,000 mustang that will be 90% street driven, not the $25k track pack on an already $75k corvette.

edit: front struts are $160 a pair for the regular ones, $540/pair for the magneride. This car is looking downright affordable.
edit 2: clutch is $452, flywheel is $159, short block is $7826

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 29, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I always wondered why you would have rotors turned instead of buying new ones. Now I know. Also, those corvette rotors. :drat:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 29, 2015

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah all those prices aren't much more than a higher end 1/2 ton truck in tires or anything. Crazy

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Powershift posted:

The GT350R still has 2 piece steel brakes. The rotors are $300 each, not $3000 each like the carbon ceramic ones on the Z07

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...d&model=Mustang

I thought the R package had the carbon ceramic rotors up front?

I wonder how much the carbon wheels are.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

The aluminum wheels are $1061 a piece which is standard factory stuff. The carbon fibre wheels are $3090 for the rears and 3648 for the fronts, so caution around curbs is advised.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Pads show up as $267/piece, but with the steel rotors there will be better/cheaper aftermarket. The calipers are only $310 a piece, which seems cheap for big brembo 6 piston jobbies.

OE tires for the GT350R are $2136 a set on tire rack, for the GT350 it's $1547 a set.

this is a $50,000 mustang that will be 90% street driven, not the $25k track pack on an already $75k corvette.

edit: front struts are $160 a pair for the regular ones, $540/pair for the magneride. This car is looking downright affordable.
edit 2: clutch is $452, flywheel is $159, short block is $7826

See, this kind of stuff makes wanting a 911 seem like such a terrible loving idea. These kind of purchases pretty much never make sense, but the GT350 makes so much more sense when it comes to actually owning it. And the noise :dong:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
The gt350 is amazing and I'm considering bankrupting myself and selling a bunch of poo poo in my garage to afford one. That being said the mustang still feels like a big car that's not incredibly connected to the road (seat sits high and lots of metal and hood around you). Maybe it's because I'm 5'8 but small coupes just feel better to me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

coolskillrex remix posted:

That being said the mustang still feels like a big car that's not incredibly connected to the road (seat sits high and lots of metal and hood around you). Maybe it's because I'm 5'8 but small coupes just feel better to me.

Something that gets to me is that the R defaults to a rear-seat delete package. I'm really curious who they have pegged as the buyers -- either real track nuts who will be putting in a cage and harness bar, or collectors who don't ever carry 4 people in car.
If you do all this amazing work to make a 4-seater handle and perform that well, is the 100lbs worth of back seat really what you want to pitch?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kimbo305 posted:

Something that gets to me is that the R defaults to a rear-seat delete package. I'm really curious who they have pegged as the buyers -- either real track nuts who will be putting in a cage and harness bar, or collectors who don't ever carry 4 people in car.
If you do all this amazing work to make a 4-seater handle and perform that well, is the 100lbs worth of back seat really what you want to pitch?

It also pitches the A/C, the rear camera, the floor mats, auxiliary gauges, and the audio system. Wouldn't be a very good daily driver here in the Phoenix area. The $3000 'Electronics package' puts back everything except the rear seat, and adds the premium sound system, but it doesn't specifically say it puts the A/C back, instead it says "• Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)".

Not that I could afford a $65k Mustang, but if I could, I'd certainly have to get A/C in it unless it was purely a track car that was trailered.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

I doubt it's 100lbs. Rear seat pads covered in leather do not weigh much and the seat belts/latches are not much either. I'd be surprised if it saved more than 25lbs after adding what looked like a shelf behind the rear seats. They still have to put carpet under there and I doubt they made the sheet metal thinner under the rear seats like Porsche did in the 997.2 GT3. It's all for show.

And yeah, no A/C to save weight is just silly. If you're running a pure track car on a trailer you'd do much better for yourself stripping something that has little value relative to the Shelby like a normal GT.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The track pack on the GT350 gives you the magneride and stiffer springs.

The only functional bits you miss out on are the spoiler, the carbon fiber wheels, and you get 295/305 tires instead of 305/315.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

See, this kind of stuff makes wanting a 911 seem like such a terrible loving idea. These kind of purchases pretty much never make sense, but the GT350 makes so much more sense when it comes to actually owning it. And the noise :dong:

You have to really want a Porsche to ignore a car like this. I absolutely love Porsches and for the longest time the 997.1 GT3 was my jam. But that was 9 years ago and now you can get something much faster at half the cost with a warranty.

Literally the only reason I can come up with to not get one is that I'd have a hard time telling people I drive a Mustang. I know, that makes me a massive tool. Between the C7, Z/28, and GT350 the American cars are starting to crush the competition in nearly every metric outside of brand cachet. Public perception outside of enthusiasts will catch up if they keep turning out cars like this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I hate the way they do their packages now though. You can't get the track pack with the premium sound system (I like my tunes), and while you get the magneride and upgrades springs in the electronics package, you can't get the cloth Recaro's.

Why can't the seats and sound system be their own stand alone options Ford?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The regular Camaro SS has a similar power to weight ratio as the GT350 and almost identical performance though?

Is it the gotta have it factor again?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It's the sound, people wouldn't care half as much if not for the sound.

Never underestimate the qualitatives.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Throatwarbler posted:

The regular Camaro SS has a similar power to weight ratio as the GT350 and almost identical performance though?

If all you're doing is drag racing, this is a valid point. If you're doing any other kind of Motorsport at all, the GT350 will crush a Camaro SS.

I'm excited to see what GM comes up with for the 6th gem Z/28.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

The engine and the noise it makes.

MrYenko posted:

If all you're doing is drag racing, this is a valid point. If you're doing any other kind of Motorsport at all, the GT350 will crush a Camaro SS.

I'm excited to see what GM comes up with for the 6th gem Z/28.

And this. The next 1LE package will be pretty interesting though.

Unfortunately I don't think GM is going to have their answer out within a time frame that works for me. I'm guessing they'd keep it N/A and have something cool up their sleeves to answer the Voodoo? They're just going to throw something from NRE in there from the factory, aren't they?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Christobevii3 posted:

I was at Spring Mountain a few weeks ago and they had a rotor off one of their Z06s that got damaged at the Chevy dealer. They ship the Z07 equipped Z06s with these foam protectors that you're supposed to slip through the spokes onto the rotor before you remove the wheel. If you aren't careful it's easy to let the wheel drop down and chip the rotor, which is presumably what happened.

Of course the Chevy dealer denied they did it so they were forced to buy a new rotor. The turned the damaged one into a $2000 teaching aide on why you need to use the foam strips.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

The only functional bits you miss out on are the spoiler, the carbon fiber wheels, and you get 295/305 tires instead of 305/315.

Do you even fit in a 2015 Mustang? :haw:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Also, if you like to actually be able to see out of your car while driving.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Locator posted:

Also, if you like to actually be able to see out of your car while driving.

I've spent quite a bit of time in 5th gens. This really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, it's not an NA Miata with the top down, but personally, I dislike the interior a lot more than I dislike the sightlines. It has better rearward visibility than my Volt.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

I've spent quite a bit of time in 5th gens. This really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, it's not an NA Miata with the top down, but personally, I dislike the interior a lot more than I dislike the sightlines. It has better rearward visibility than my Volt.

I hate the interior more than I hate the sightlines too, but that's more of a testament to how absolutely awful the interior is than an endorsement of the awful, awful sightlines.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

The sightlines /blindspots and the interior are all terrible in the 5th gen.
I ended up with an SS version as a rental car on one of my trips. I thought it was going to be a neat car to drive, but I ended up hating every second of it.
Everything about the interior just seems off or wrong. The radio also did not play well at all with android, which is really surprising in a 2015 vehicle.
I really want to like the new one, but it would need to fix a lot of problems from the old gen for me to ever consider it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
but it's duh cah of the yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

What about the oil cooler?