Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowgles
Oct 2, 2013

Andarel posted:

Very popular but also very recent.

Well I suppose I can chance it then, since it's only $20. Thanks again for the suggestions. Like I said, I had no clue where to go with that information. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's also an easy re-gift if he/she already has it.

Flick 'Em Up is pretty drat fun. It reminds me of Worms, actually. We were all similarly skilled at flicking, too, so it was pretty competitive. Good team game. :clint:

I'm now looking forward to my drat Catacombs preorder again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I was just debating Flick 'Em Up vs Catacombs. I want the giant set I played at the Flick 'Em Up demo at Gencon though :(

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Meowgles posted:

Well I suppose I can chance it then, since it's only $20. Thanks again for the suggestions. Like I said, I had no clue where to go with that information. :v:

Don't forget to get a copy for yourself.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Has anyone here played the android or PC version of Battlelore, which I understand to be like a fantasy Memoir 44? Wonder if its worth picking up either version on sale.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Scyther posted:

Normies who fancy themselves gamers will try like ten different games and suddenly have opinions on which ones are the best games ever made

Seriously. My first few designer games were Carcassonne, Cosmic Encounter, Thunderstone, and Dominion.

Only one of those remains a perennial favourite, and one remains OK. I loved Cosmic the first couple of times I played it.

How much I have learned...

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Flick 'Em Up is pretty drat fun. It reminds me of Worms, actually. We were all similarly skilled at flicking, too, so it was pretty competitive. Good team game. :clint:

I played a larger demo version at a recent games fair, was a lot of fun. Moving your men and shooting is a lot more difficult that it seems, although tactical use of a cactus helps immensely when you figure out that you only need one of your dudes' arms sticking out a bit in order to successfully being able to shoot at enemies.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I have finally finished my fist successful purge of my board gaming life. My collection had become too large and unwieldy, and I found certain game were just not being played at all (due to me purchasing them when I did not realize my own taste!). I separated the games into two piles, worthy and unworthy. The unworthy pile was sold on Craigslist for $100: This has been rather traumatic, I have had to come to terms with some of my bad decisions, really face my demons:

Unworthy, gone forever:
-Smash Up
-Forbidden Island
-Forbidden Desert
-Warhammer Discwars
-Tragedy Looper
-Betrayal at House on the Hill
-Dixit
-Thunderstone Advence
-Lords of Waterdeep
-Ninja Burger

Worthy, now my only games:
-Fluxx
-Mage Wars
-Talisman
-Pandemic
-Mage Knight
-Agricola
-Terra Mystica
-Twilight Struggle
-Tales of Arabian Nights
-Arkham Horror
-Race for the Galaxy
-Robinson Crusoe

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 28, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not bad. The only real loss in the unworthy pile is Tragedy Looper. Everything else is bad and Dixit is a wash now that codenames is out. Fluxx should be placed in the unworthy pile but it doesn't take much room so whatever.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Don't you dare make fun of Warhammer Tazos.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Chill la Chill posted:

Dixit is a wash now that codenames is out.

I really don't think that Dixit and Codenames fulfil the same niche, unless it's as broad as "Descriptive guessing games". It's difficult to use Codenames to make fun of other people at the table, for a start.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Scyther posted:

Normies who fancy themselves gamers will try like ten different games and suddenly have opinions on which ones are the best games ever made

A guy was recently like "have you heard of settlers of catan" to me, insisting it was the best

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012
Dixit is worth it for the art alone. I can see they both fill the 'guessing at clues' niche. Dixit (imo) is far more interpretive.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have only brought Dixit out three times, and in all of those occasions the game flopped and people asked why we weren't just playing Cards Against Humanity :shrug:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I think the problem with Dixit is that "give a clue that is descriptive enough that at least one person will pick your card but also vague enough that at least one person will not pick your card" is a very difficult thing for a lot of people. Games of that weight class need to be intuitive.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I have only brought Dixit out three times, and in all of those occasions the game flopped and people asked why we weren't just playing Cards Against Humanity :shrug:

You play with lovely horrible unimaginative people, hth

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Rutibex posted:

See, the problem wasn't Dixit at all.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Hauki posted:

You play with lovely horrible unimaginative people, hth

Rutibex can't help that he likes to play his games solo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

burger time posted:

Rutibex can't help that he likes to play his games solo.

You will notice the only games I got rid of with solo options are Thunderstone Advnace (this game is absolutely atrocious :barf:) and Forbidden Island/Desert. The Forbidden games are nice and all, but when it comes time to choose which one to play out of Island/Desert/Pandemic I always end up picking Pandemic, so they are redundant.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Rutibex, Rutibex, Rutibex. What are we gonna do with you.

You don't sell Forbidden Island/Desert. That's crazy talk.

You gift them to your younger nieces and nephews, in hopes of drawing them into this bottomless death spiral of a hobby and ensuring available opponents well into your dotage.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gutter Owl posted:

Rutibex, Rutibex, Rutibex. What are we gonna do with you.

You don't sell Forbidden Island/Desert. That's crazy talk.

You gift them to your younger nieces and nephews, in hopes of drawing them into this bottomless death spiral of a hobby and ensuring available opponents well into your dotage.

I already did that 2 years ago, so now I will be getting them some Magic cards to feed their growing addiction.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Fuckin scrub-tier crap games still trickin people into playin games thinkin theyre havin fun ugh :mad:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I already did that 2 years ago, so now I will be getting them some Magic cards to feed their growing addiction.

Wow. That's hosed up.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Is Dark Moon worth a go? BSG but shorter looks like it could be good.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

SilverMike posted:

There was an excellent write-up in here by somebody who loved it, that made it very clear it wasn't going to work for myself or my group. I can't remember any details though.

I'm helpful like that :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mister Sinewave posted:

Fuckin scrub-tier crap games still trickin people into playin games thinkin theyre havin fun ugh :mad:

It's seriously hosed up.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Have any of you lovely goons played the re-released version of Fury of Dracula (third edition)? I like the idea of a 1 vs 4 set up but I am wary because it is a Fantasy Flight game and I love Arkham Horror to death despite all the different steps and checks that pile up.

Also asking if anyone has played Steve Jackson's Illuminati? And if it's any fun?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

SilverMike posted:

It's very bad.

The basic rundown is as follows:
  • There's only ever 1 thing to do at any given point, and it's the same goddamn thing over and over again (play repair whack-a-mole).
  • There's only 1 way to sabotage at any given point, and there's only 1 way to lie about it (gently caress up whack-a-mole by submitting a bad die that you swear rolled wrong).
  • The game automatically gives you free chances to brig people for acting up.
  • The rules are written terribly.
  • The whole thing still takes 2-3 times as long as Resistance.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

Mister Sinewave posted:

Could it possibly be whatever they are playing is suiting the level they are seeking at that time? Not every game has to save the world. I appreciate that most of us here have higher tastes in games and yes games COULD be better. Sometimes there are better ways to change behavior patterns than telling people they are (expletive-of-choice) idiots for doing what they do or liking what they like.

Go Fish is pretty effing horrible, but there are countless grand-kids and grandparents that have fond memories of playing it. That's gotta count for something, no?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Jiro posted:

Have any of you lovely goons played the re-released version of Fury of Dracula (third edition)? I like the idea of a 1 vs 4 set up but I am wary because it is a Fantasy Flight game and I love Arkham Horror to death despite all the different steps and checks that pile up.

Also asking if anyone has played Steve Jackson's Illuminati? And if it's any fun?

I used to like illuminati before I knew what good games were. It's an interminable leader bashing slog where whoever tries to win first loses. It's a shame because the theme is great.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jiro posted:

I used to really like Illuminati but it hasn't aged well. I do think the theme is good and it could be a good candidate for a new edition with more modern mechanics. The 'building trees of cards as organizations' is a great idea and is often pretty funny (stuff like the Boy Scouts being operated by the Mafia, or Comic Books run by the International Communist Conspiracy) but the dice combat system and economics of transferring funds between cards is a real slog. It also suffers from a lot of 'beat up the leader' stuff.

Edit: also a lot of the funny cultural jokes could use updating. Young people don't really remember things like the moonies or the fluoridated water conspiracy.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Jiro posted:

2nd edition was already a really fun hidden movement game, but had some very fiddly bits and could be subject to dice fuckery.

3 removes the dice and streamlines the fiddly bits, making it even better. I think it's excellent.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Scyther posted:

I think the problem with Dixit is that "give a clue that is descriptive enough that at least one person will pick your card but also vague enough that at least one person will not pick your card" is a very difficult thing for a lot of people. Games of that weight class need to be intuitive.

I used to like Dixit, and still do with my young cousins, but that mechanic turned it into a game with the most obscure references being thrown around instead of imaginative wordplay.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Chill la Chill posted:

I used to like Dixit, and still do with my young cousins, but that mechanic turned it into a game with the most obscure references being thrown around instead of imaginative wordplay.

My family still loves it, but it has very much turned into that. Oh well, I've MORE than gotten my monies worth with it.
Also Codenames was a huge hit with the family as expected. Endless trash talking, hilarious situations, and learning that my Dad is simply unable to NOT EMOTE when he is a leader. A+ game, already bought 2 more copies for gifts.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Don't go for magic cards. The game is a waste of cash. Unless you're part of the community and know how to do the trading thing.

Just get them Code Names and call it a day.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Who has done codenames with dixit cards?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's fun but too easy if you're giving word clues. Now, if you play another Dixit card + number and make them find all the matches, THAT is good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mafia de Cuba is really bad, don't buy it, more explanation when I actually have time but it has a broken strategy and downtime on it is awful.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Chill la Chill posted:

Not bad. The only real loss in the unworthy pile is Tragedy Looper. Everything else is bad and Dixit is a wash now that codenames is out. Fluxx should be placed in the unworthy pile but it doesn't take much room so whatever.

Other than finding your lack of faith in Warhammer Tazos disturbing, I like how you're so conditioned by Rutibex as to not blink an eye at Talisman and Arkham Horror being put at the same pedestal as Twilight Struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Dark Moon's a bit different in execution than Battlestar Galactica. It's not a game of slowly grinding the humans down like BSG, it's a game of slow-playing and winning via an abrupt shank. You have to take on some risk to set things up so you can do that, which is where the distrust comes in.

Also, you can finish a game of it without setting aside an entire afternoon, which forgives several of its sins, in my eyes.

Mojo Jojo posted:

There was an excellent write-up in here by somebody who loved it, that made it very clear it wasn't going to work for myself or my group. I can't remember any details though.

I'm helpful like that :(

You might be thinking of my post on the game? There were a few follow-up posts, too.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 28, 2015