Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Glazius posted:

Get Fortune Finder and Scrounger, find ridiculous numbers of caps and weightless ammo.

This. I ranked up Fortune Finder and the first time I bothered to check my caps I had collected 15000. The game throws so much stuff at you loot wise you would never need to buy stuff, I always cook too for both the XP and the neat status effect food (Grilled Radstag for +25 carry weight is handy when needing to fast travel after clearing out a dungeon).

Over half way to the platinum trophy on PS4 now, apparently I need two saves to get all the quest trophies.

Last session I logged before I went away for the weekend I was doing the final leg of the Silver Shroud quest and heard the familiar terror that is the ticking of a super mutant suicider: spotted and killed him in time but the ticking didn't stop - there were three of them :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Evilreaver posted:

Sure can. [Sell water to your own vendors]

I did a ton of Vault-Tec style experiments with my settlements to try to solve Happiness on my own. Cliffs notes: The settlement with absolutely nothing except 20 sleeping bags packed into a pre-existing garage (importing all its food/water, no decorations) still hit 80. So if you're lazy, pack 20 sleeping bags into a garage. People will complain, but they'll be happy so gently caress 'em. There are some bugs if you place 'beds' on non-player-made surfaces and with TVs, so best lazy-dictator practice is to make a shelter large enough for CHR+10 sleeping bags (for me, 18, though I often forgot and ran around with +CHR gear and more people would show up sometimes) that has a solid roof. And scrap every TV you can find. Sanctuary buildings don't seem to cut it.

Scavenging stations pull in a lot of ammo- just wish it wasn't done silently and that settlers were smart enough to man them without micromanaging. If you have a large population, they can keep most guns fed if you cycle (100+ total people). I got just under 400 total population and it kept everything fed except my Gauss if I went crazy with it (plus a follower with a institute weapon), but my shops made me more than enough money to keep that manually fed anyway.
Counterpoint: my drive in has 19 settlers (I have 6 charisma unbuffed) and nearly 80 happiness and I just threw 20-something of the cheapest 3-cloth sleeping rolls I could find, on top of the roof of the little diner, and then on the ground when I ran out of room. Everybody is happy as gently caress, although it may be linked to the lights and turrets I built everywhere, and how I gave them all high-end weapons with only 1 round which they can fire infinitely. I doubt I'll ever find half of those legendaries again but who cares I wasn't gonna use a third legendary 10mm pistol, even if it's 50% bonus to limbs, when I've already got a maxxed out explosive one. ;)

But don't ever give them grenades and molotovs and explosive weaponry because they'll burn down half your food crops.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

titties posted:

Does anyone know if there is anyone besides Tinker Tom that gives Railroad quests? I want to unlock ballistic weave so bad but my current MILA placement quest for Tinker Tom is in the area I can't enter without the game crashing. Now I can't complete this MILA placement, Silver Shroud, or Boston After Dark.

It's not a tom quest. But I think you have to do some for him and then PAM gives you a quest to recover a cache of stuff

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So is there something I'm missing about how to get more settlers in my towns? I don't know how to get the numbers up so they're all pretty low and not doing much. I'm over 20 hours in and have done a ton of quests related to securing settlements, but not seeing them grow...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bold Robot posted:

Also, what's the least effort way to manage/develop settlements? I don't want to spend hours sperging out building a base, this isn't minecraft. Aside from NPCs getting lost in the abandoned buildings, is there any real downside to just developing Sanctuary and not really worry about the other spots?
Here is what I did on my third or fourth start (which became my first real playthrough):

Sprint through the initial stuff in concord, get everybody back to Sanctuary, then talk to codsworth and preston until they became companions and immediately send them both to the truck stop south of sanctuary (they won't wander as far, and you may end up talking to preston a lot of you do his repeatable settlement-recruiting quests), and then sprint to abernathy and tenpenny farms, and do both quests they need (there's a nice suit of power armor just outside the air force satellite base, to the north by a crashed vertibird a hundred yards or so out). After clearing corvega and the satellite base, I beelined to the diner and drive-in, intending to use the diner as a source of quick supplies and the drive-in as an initial "hub" for my supply routes (which turned out to be overly complicated and unnecessary, as all points in the chain are served equally, it ends up being lovely to send ten settlers out from one spot, because there's nobody around to farm and man the shops and scavenging stations! :downsrim: ).

At this point, it comes down to leveling local leader to 2nd rank, to build up shops, and then just recruiting settlements at leisure. Once you get used to what kind of mats you need to build one basic generator and a radio recruiting beacon at a settlement, you're almost gauranteed to get one settler INSTANTLY when you build your recruiting beacon, who you can then send off to a link in the supply chain, and then you instantl yhave access to all your junk mats and can surround the place with turrets and food at leisure, and never come back unless you feel like it.

I almost never remember to defend settlements in time but once you've got a chain of supply lines staffed by immortal settler provisioners, then really it's just a matter or wandering back and repairing a dozen carrots and then leaving again.. Just don't build a recruiting beacon at a spot until you're ready to "finish it off" so to speak, because if you just recruit and then forget about them, most spots will never get attacked at all.

edit: oh yeah, if you leave cores in power armor NPCs can and will wander off with it (usually not too far), and if you leave weapons in containers in your settlement, NPCs (not necessarily friendly NPCs, either!) will loot and use them if combat starts nearby. Armor is totally safe to leave in a locker next to a workbench though, nobody seems to take and wear armor - so I stash all my legendary armor in one box, and all my legendary weapons in my workbench.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 28, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

coyo7e posted:

No .223 ammo.

5.56 IS .223. (well there's a few differences but they're the same size)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So Local Leader is essential for developing them? The text around the perk talks of supply lines and setting up stores but I don't really get the point.

Is all this in any way essential to finishing the game, or even getting the most out of it?

Hemoglobin
Jan 13, 2010

come pick my roses~
Okay! So I have managed to ruin my Fallout 4 game.

I've never mod'd Fallout before so I looked for a tutorial and followed this: http://www.gameskinny.com/5xxr0/beginners-guide-to-installing-fallout-4-mods

I downloaded the Fallout 4 Mod Manger as instructed, and installed 3 mods: WET Water texture, More Armor Slots, and Enhanced Blood textures.

However, whenever I try to launch Fallout 4 from the mod manager or Steam, the launcher comes up, I hit play, and then I get the Fallout 4 launcher again...hitting Play causes an infinite loop.

I've tried deleting my Fallout 4 folder and uninstalling the game through steam, I've redownloaded it twice and I keep getting the same situation with the launcher...

please help :(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Noyemi K posted:

5.56 IS .223. (well there's a few differences but they're the same size)

holy moly, be careful before the TFR brigade shows up

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Pumpy Dumper posted:

It's not a tom quest. But I think you have to do some for him and then PAM gives you a quest to recover a cache of stuff

I know it's not a Tom quest, but I assumed that doing quests for Railroad people would eventually give me the quest from PAM. Since I can't do any more for Tinker Tom until the bug that's breaking that area of the map is patched I was hoping there was someone else in the Railroad that gave quests.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Oh man, I just realised there's three lights on the laser sniper barrel that indicate how powerful the shot will be, you can't really see them if you have a scope on there.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

BadAstronaut posted:

So is there something I'm missing about how to get more settlers in my towns? I don't know how to get the numbers up so they're all pretty low and not doing much. I'm over 20 hours in and have done a ton of quests related to securing settlements, but not seeing them grow...

Capped at 10+Charisma
If you have a beacon and 40+ happiness people will move in.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^ Remember you can turn beacons on and off, which is very useful if you don't want to get attacked, just recruit one or two people and then turn off the beacon, they probably won't ever be bothered.

Also in case someone's new and getting frustrated, remember YOU MUST CONNECT A WIRE FROM THE GENERATOR TO THE BEACON for it to turn on.. Took me a while to figure that out.. :(

BadAstronaut posted:

So Local Leader is essential for developing them? The text around the perk talks of supply lines and setting up stores but I don't really get the point.

Is all this in any way essential to finishing the game, or even getting the most out of it?
If you want to create a weapon or armor or power armor crafting station anywhere that one wasn't already, then yes it's absolutely necessary.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Jeoh posted:

holy moly, be careful before the TFR brigade shows up

They're similar enough that all firearms chambered for the NATO round will cycle .223 remington and most rifles chambered for .223 will safely fire 5.56.

It's not like .44 Remington Magnum vs. .44 Special (in fact, a .44 magnum case will not fit in a chamber for .44 special... usually). God help you if you try that, though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Noyemi K posted:

It's not like .44 Remington Magnum vs. .44 Special (in fact, a .44 magnum case will not fit in a chamber for .44 special... usually). God help you if you try that, though.
Which of these will fit into a .410? I've heard that is why .410 pistols get seized by the authorities.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh places only get attacked if they have a beacon up? So once my town is "done" I can just turn it off and not worry about showing up to watch a million rocket turrets turn raiders into mist before anyone can react?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hemoglobin posted:

Okay! So I have managed to ruin my Fallout 4 game.

While I can't help you and that really blows, More Armor Slots reminded me of a mod I forgot to recommend.

Armorsmith Expanded

"This mod does four things.
One, every outfit in the game can now be worn under armor pieces.
Two, every hat and helmet in the game that doesn't cover your face can be worn with bandanas & gas masks.
Three, every outfit and every hat & helmet in the game can have ballistic weave armor added to it.
Four, every outfit can have a torso, leg, arm, or vault suit armor mod, and every hat & helmet can have a torso or vault suit armor mod."

The reminder however came from "Not compatible with More Armor Slots by Abbalovesyou, Armor Modifications Expanded by LordGrievous, or Gas Mask Hat Fix by leafonthewindbut this does everything those three mods did, and more, and also doesn't contain the dirty edits that both of those have from being made with FalloutSnip." :v:

Good stuff though, the gas masks fit near perfect with a bunch of hats, helmets and stuff like that, to the point where I almost wonder why they didn't just make them stack like glasses and bandanas can.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 28, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Alabaster White posted:

It's a gag weapon that sucks really, really hard. The Zeta Generator is flat-out just a part that makes the gun weaker. Did you do the whole Cabot quest? Or just find it lying around?

I did, and I killed his crazy psychic dad. He told me to come back in a week, so maybe he'll give me an upgraded one?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I did, and I killed his crazy psychic dad. He told me to come back in a week, so maybe he'll give me an upgraded one?

Yeah the Zeta gun itself is just a weird flavor piece that is strictly inferior to a regular Gamma Gun.

Once a week of game time has passed he will have an actually decent unique weapon for you, yes.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

coyo7e posted:

Which of these will fit into a .410? I've heard that is why .410 pistols get seized by the authorities.

The Taurus Judge takes .410 shells or .45 colt. If you're in California .410 pistols are likely just illegal as short barreled shotguns.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Baronjutter posted:

Oh places only get attacked if they have a beacon up? So once my town is "done" I can just turn it off and not worry about showing up to watch a million rocket turrets turn raiders into mist before anyone can react?

Seriously? Is that how it works? :confused: How dumb is that? I guess this explains why Sanctuary hasn't been attacked in 3 days playing time?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

coyo7e posted:

ulmont posted:

The Taurus Judge takes .410 shells or .45 colt. If you're in California .410 pistols are likely just illegal as short barreled shotguns.

Addendum: the Raging Judge will accept, in addition to those, .454 Casull. The Judge can chamber it but the pressures are wayyyy too much to fire it safely.

I played NV through with a modded-in Raging Bull. No ragrats.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ok just reached level 39 and met all the main factions.

I am torn because they're all incredibly lovely.

The BOS are fascist assholes, the Minuteman are incompetent asswipes that can't get anything done without your direct intervention, the railroad are all about sticking it to the man and dead drops (boooooring) and have extremely annoying people, the Institute have absolutely no grip on reality and are slavemongers.

Is there a Yes man ending where you just go rogue? If not I think I will side with the Institute because they're the only ones that can keep their house clean and that's very important to my beloved robot waifu and faithful robo-butler.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I love how much of a hypocrite I am in FO4. I murder Deathclaws left and right, loot their nests for eggs and other poo poo.. but when I find a pristine egg for a quest I return it, and become best buddies with a Deathclaw. And then murder more Deathclaws and steal their eggs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Settlements have one actual benefit, artillery.

Where can I lay me hands on more smoke grenades?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
At lvl 33 should I take rank 3 ninja or rank 3 idiot savant?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

titties posted:

I know it's not a Tom quest, but I assumed that doing quests for Railroad people would eventually give me the quest from PAM. Since I can't do any more for Tinker Tom until the bug that's breaking that area of the map is patched I was hoping there was someone else in the Railroad that gave quests.

I did that first Deacon quest, 2x of the Doctor's quests and when I returned to turn in the last one, Drummer Boy ran up to tell me to talk to Pam. I cleared out a settlement for her and upon my return she offered the DIA cache quest, which is what unlocks ballistic weaves.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

No I meant if you don't build them up they won't get attacked. You misunderstood.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ulmont posted:

Yeah this bugged me, because I know some folks who've had a single shot antique .410 pistol seized by the authorities for kind of nebulous reasons as far as I can tell, because you can just buy a combo one nowedays anyway so why are the old ones illegal?

I may or may not have one which makes it a real concern, it's an amazingly effective and simple home defense weapon, and I'd feel really sad if this family heirloom got taken by the cops.. It's not like it'll ever see the light outside of occasionally putting grapefruit-sized holes in the occasional coffee can, unless someone breaks in. Is it because of safety issues, the barrel maybe blowing up if someone tried to use the wrong type of round in it? I've never known anyone to actually TRY to put a .44 or .45 round into a .410, I always assumed that backblast would be a high possibility.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NESguerilla posted:

So, I did Battle of bunker hill and sided with no one (lol they just war around you and no one attacks) and it seems like at the very least, I'd lose one faction doing that, so I reloaded since I have only done a couple Railroad and BOS quests.

It's also the only interesting quest I have though so I kind of want to just do it. Everything else I have is fetchy factions and misc stuff pretty much. Am I risking anyhting by finishing it? I honestly don't even know how much of the main story is left.

You can complete the Battle of Bunker Hill without aggroing any factions if you Shoot the courser, then go tell Father you were ambushed and were the only survivor, and lie lie lie. If you kill the courser and tell the truth, you anger the Institute and fail any undercover mission another faction has you on. However, the Battle of Bunker Hill is pretty much the last quest on the Railroad/Institute side before you have to piss someone off, [spoilers that follow detail only the order in which factions get angered] you have to continue to the next Institute quest if you want to maintain your cover with the Railroad (and obviously you have to do it if you're helping the Institute), and doing that quest makes the Brotherhood treat you as an enemy.

That said I'm not sure what happens if you warn a non-institute side and then don't take their suggestion of what to do to resolve the quest.

titties
May 10, 2012

Mondian posted:

I did that first Deacon quest, 2x of the Doctor's quests and when I returned to turn in the last one, Drummer Boy ran up to tell me to talk to Pam. I cleared out a settlement for her and upon my return she offered the DIA cache quest, which is what unlocks ballistic weaves.

The doctor gives quests? Thank goodness. I placed 2 MILAs for Tinker Tom, if those count towards whatever secret amount of goodwill you have to build then maybe I only have one more mission before I can get the weave and then spend forever going through my hundreds of clothing items to see which ones can be upgraded.

Iceshade posted:

Seriously? Is that how it works? :confused: How dumb is that? I guess this explains why Sanctuary hasn't been attacked in 3 days playing time?

I doubt that it is actually beacon off = no attacks.

I have plenty of settlements that never had a beacon to begin with that get attacked constantly. Sanctuary has had a beacon ever since I learned what they were. It has never been shut off and my Sanctuary has never been attacked.

titties fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 28, 2015

titties
May 10, 2012

whoops

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Settlements are the easiest way to break the game. If you don't intend to do that or don't like being massively overpowered then just ignore them and any related perks, you don't really gain anything unique from them.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ok what I'd really like to do is draw a line under these quests but Preston continually has more. Do they ever end?

I'm more interested in developing a powerful gun touting, explosive crafting, lock picking hero with full charisma and speech options. Then exploring the wasteland, loving up baddies and finding my son. Probably all while in awesome power armour!

I never have the materials needed for crafting mines and grenades though. What's the best perk and so on path to take when levelling to be a good explosives based character?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

titties posted:

The doctor gives quests? Thank goodness. I placed 2 MILAs for Tinker Tom, if those count towards whatever secret amount of goodwill you have to build then maybe I only have one more mission before I can get the weave and then spend forever going through my hundreds of clothing items to see which ones can be upgraded.

I haven't done much Railroad stuff in general, but the MILA stuff looks like their version of the never-ending pointless faction quests. As for the clothing items... its typically everything but the ones you want.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I want some god damned settlement invasions to actually happen. I've built a drat purified water empire in the Commonwealth (probably like 2000 + supply all told), and I've built the proper defenses to go along with it. I just want to see my work actually put to use.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I have like 80 stimpacks saved up. Like one in every three human enemies carry them.

Just finished the game on normal and I have 400+ stimpacks. The only time I ever used them was accidentally on dogmeat and maybe the ten total occasions one of my limbs was crippled. Along with that I've got hundreds of food items that could heal me thousands of times over.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Mondian posted:

I haven't done much Railroad stuff in general, but the MILA stuff looks like their version of the never-ending pointless faction quests. As for the clothing items... its typically everything but the ones you want.

There is an actual end to the MILA quests. I was bored and wanted caps/levels quickly so I shoved them all into position. You don't get anything special.

Eustachy
May 7, 2013

BadAstronaut posted:

The point is construction, recipe, weapon/armor mods and mats are shared, so if all your settlements are linked then you should not have to manually haul poo poo among them if it is your desire to build at them rather than always traveling back to a single HQ. Although you will probably do that anyway because the actual inventories are not linked. Also you get cool immortal guys and their cows roaming the wasteland, swimming through ponds, shooting whatever gangs of assholes they run into, and you can equip them with whatever armor and weaponry you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Silver Shroud quest is great, and I stumbed across a few X-01 pieces during it too. It's too bad the actual armor doesn't really stack up to five pieces of combat armor mods with their SPECIAL boosts and pockets so I can care 65 pounds more than I otherwise could.

• Locked thread