Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the ps4 version of the witcher 3 looks and runs fine and is totally playable, but a pc that can run it well will blow the console versions out of the water

if you don't like playing on pc for whatever reason, I don't think the console versions are gonna disappoint you at all tho. it's still a great game. it's not like fallout 4 where the framerate will occasionally tank into the single digits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I must be an old because that game looks like some boring poo poo.

Uh. Have you ever played Just Cause 2?

edit: Also that video is infinitely quotable

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

you poor joyless son of a bitch

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Should be called Hanging Cows From A Windmill Simulator.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

univbee posted:

Would you rather download 40 gigs' worth of data for languages you'll never play the game in? :v: I'm with you that the system should be a lot more apparent that this is what happens, but I think Diablo 3 is the only game that's extra weird in this way.

It's way worse if you're not in one of the EFIGS countries.

I am in Finland and have installed Diablo 3 on my PS4 twice. Both times it defaulted to Polish, not English. Not only does it not make any goddamn sense, the process of fixing this and getting the EFIGS version is really obtuse. The game is in my library twice, but starting the download from either of those defaults to Polish. You have to manually cancel some background downloads to get the proper version.

(Also I think it gets all the languages, not just English...)

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

so you are basically rear end in a top hat Spiderman in this game?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the ps4 version of the witcher 3 looks and runs fine and is totally playable, but a pc that can run it well will blow the console versions out of the water

if you don't like playing on pc for whatever reason, I don't think the console versions are gonna disappoint you at all tho. it's still a great game. it's not like fallout 4 where the framerate will occasionally tank into the single digits

Okay good to know. I tend to prefer games like this on the PS4 largely because I can take the console with me on vacations and they're nicer on the big screen where I can really get into it, I find that I get more distracted playing games on PC where it's too easy to alt-tab and do other things.

It sounds like the graphics difference is pretty big so I'll probably get it on PC and give my system something to stretch its legs on. Thanks everyone for the replies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

El Hefe posted:

so you are basically rear end in a top hat Spiderman in this game?

Yup and that video is like 1/100th of what you can do. It really is the best sandbox game.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Just posting to say that if anyone wants/needs some co-op help in Bloodborne to get through to the DLC area quicker or whatever, feel free to hit me up. I'm on NG+ and only up to the DLC area in my playthrough but all the co-op'ing I've been doing has been boosting me to something ridiculous like level 120 or something. I have no idea how BB decides who you can play with (do you have to be in a certain level range and on the same NG?) but I think you can circumvent that by setting an online password.

I'm usually standing around in the area before the Father Gascoigne or the Vicar Amelia fight but if anyone actually wants some help I'm sure we can figure out a nice meeting spot ;-*

PSN name is yarrbraxas

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Rainbow Six Siege sucks rear end. Why aren't they just making a normal Rainbow Six?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Yup and that video is like 1/100th of what you can do. It really is the best sandbox game.

They decided to give you infinite C4 in this one, because why not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bloodborne works entirely off of level range. at 120, you can play with people as low as about ~76 or so

here's a summon range calculator for people that are curious

however, using a password bypasses level restrictions and allows anyone to play with anyone! this means that a max level character could play with a base level character. what the game does is scale the coop helper to the host if they are above the level range that they could ordinarily summon

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Aphrodite posted:

They decided to give you infinite C4 in this one, because why not.

how can you not buy a game where a design tenet is "the player should always be able to blow something up"

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
If I couldn't get into witcher 1 or 2, will witcher 3 be any better?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that depends on why you couldn't get into it

the witcher 3 is a huge open world game with very strong writing, but the combat is only barely better than it was in the witcher 2 (ie, it's bad). if you didn't like the linearity of the witcher 2, this fixes that. if you didn't like the characters/setting, you're poo poo out of luck because they are 100% the focus of the game. if you wanted better combat, buy a different game

also if you like to explore a lot in an open world, this is not the game for you

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

RACHET posted:

If I couldn't get into witcher 1 or 2, will witcher 3 be any better?

No it's still bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Reverse Centaur posted:

you poor joyless son of a bitch

Sandbox games were over for me after Vice City, so age 19.

I don't know why really, they just don't turn on the brain chemicals at all.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Just Cause 2 was fun for a couple gaming sessions, then became boring and predictable. 3 will probably be the same... People in this thread wouldn't know what a good game looked like if they were playing one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I honestly didn't really enjoy JC2 either, I think it is because wrecking havoc in an open world is only sustainably entertaining if there is other stuff to do in the game, a more direct objective like the GTA games. A game that is nothing but stacked blocks to knock over for 20 hours is meh

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every game is predictable.

Except Metal Gear but that's more schizophrenia than clever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Do tell.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Manatee Cannon posted:

that depends on why you couldn't get into it

the witcher 3 is a huge open world game with very strong writing, but the combat is only barely better than it was in the witcher 2 (ie, it's bad). if you didn't like the linearity of the witcher 2, this fixes that. if you didn't like the characters/setting, you're poo poo out of luck because they are 100% the focus of the game. if you wanted better combat, buy a different game

also if you like to explore a lot in an open world, this is not the game for you

Yeah after the initial opening of witcher 2 I got lost and bored and the combat was pretty annoying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's talking about Just Cause 2, a game that's maybe 5% story at most and is only there to give a reason for you to blow poo poo up. Predictable is a really weird, nonsense thing to say about it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

He's talking about Just Cause 2, a game that's maybe 5% story at most and is only there to give a reason for you to blow poo poo up. Predictable is a really weird, nonsense thing to say about it.

That sounds boring and predictable.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Whoops, wrong thread, thought I was in the PSN thread. Don't mind me.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 29, 2015

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

No, not at all actually

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RACHET posted:

Yeah after the initial opening of witcher 2 I got lost and bored and the combat was pretty annoying.

The combat hasn't improved much tbh. In general the core gameplay is not it's strong point. its huge and pretty and a lot of the quests are good though.

In regards to Just Cause, I can see why people like it but count me in the "not for me" camp. The sandbox aspect was fun for a couple hours, but the missions weren't fun and I don't like the setting.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 29, 2015

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

"A sandbox where you can do everything, how unique and exciting"

Someone in TYOOL 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There's a reason why Legos are more fun than a pile of sand.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I kinda thought I'd have trouble with a game like just cause, but the more I see of the game the more I think I'd probably like it a lot

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hey gramps I was 22 when Vice City came out so stop blaming this on your age.

But if you don't like any open world games then fair enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoy open world games when I feel like I have a goal and a number of possible options that feel naturally integrated.

I get bored when there is only one solution or when the goals are so abstract and meaningless that there's no reason to go for alternate methods.

MGSV worked for me because it gave me reasons to do nonstandard goals and various options felt fun and valid. I get bored if it's just like "oh, okay, I CAN set up an elaborate rube goldberg mechanic to drop a safe on this guy, or I can just shoot him in the head."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It just capitalizes on the human need to youtube cuh-ray-zee exploits in lieu of playing games in the same room as other people. You know, like how we all used to boot up GTA and pass the controller amongst our drunk selves at the age of 19 or 22 or whenever the gently caress it was when physics were new in games?

Just Cause 2 and 3 are basically a lame version of that nostalgia.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

It just capitalizes on the human need to youtube cuh-ray-zee exploits in lieu of playing games in the same room as other people. You know, like how we all used to boot up GTA and pass the controller amongst our drunk selves at the age of 19 or 22 or whenever the gently caress it was when physics were new in games?

good god what is wrong with you people

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

so many things you have noidea

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

This is the worst god drat thread

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What the gently caress is wrong with that guy

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

You sound like... super loving boring.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mr E posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with that guy

I uploaded a sick gameplay vid that will explain everything, it prominently features grappling hooks

ShutteredIn posted:

You sound like... super loving boring.

As opposed to someone who likes sandbox games a lot? What is the metric here?

edit; actually, you're right. i am super loving boring.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bloodborne's Twitter teasing a possible Demon's Souls HD Remaster.

• Locked thread