Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

That might work, although I kinda feel like image stabilization might be useful since I don't know whether the camera is gonna wiggle around as I'm writing stuff down or other people in class are getting up and moving around.

I also tend to sit toward the front of the room, usually in the front row if I can manage it, so I need something that can record everything from there. And I need a way to view what the camera is recording, so I can adjust it as needed, although that doesn't have to be attached to the camera itself; if I have to hook it up to my iPad to do that, then that's fine too.

EDIT: Also I'd kinda like to get an idea or two on this today, what with it being Black Friday and stuff like this being on sale and all. :shobon:

I attached it to a DJI Phantom II drone which vibrates like a fucker and it did fine, I can send a quick exmaple if needed.
It comes with a velcro strap and Mount, it doesnt budge. Paying anything over 100$ for your needs is just not necessary (unless you just want to join the gopro club, it happens alot).

I own this one too and it also does the job, 1080p 30fps or 720 at 60 even can clip it to stuff and angle the lens down 30 degrees
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-1080P-HD-Camera-For-Wltoys-V262-V353-V333-V323-V636-p-943813.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Etrips posted:

Have you talked to any of your instructors about actually being video recorded? I can't imagine a lot of people are going to agree with actually being recorded. One thing on a tape recorder, another thing with a video camera setup you're thinking of.

I have thought about this, although from what I've seen, most instructors at my institution either encourage or don't seem to care about that kind of thing. In my case, I have a disability accommodation thing for ADHD that allows me a designated note-taker in a class if I ever need it, but the note-takers are always other students, who may or may not take very good notes. I had a class last year where nobody really took notes at all, because the instructor didn't actually teach us any material and there was nothing to take notes for.

This is basically a designated note-taker in camera form. As long as I make it clear that nobody except me is allowed to see my recordings (with the possible exception of other students with my accommodation, if the instructor requests it), then I should be okay.

Astrobastard posted:

I attached it to a DJI Phantom II drone which vibrates like a fucker and it did fine, I can send a quick exmaple if needed.
It comes with a velcro strap and Mount, it doesnt budge. Paying anything over 100$ for your needs is just not necessary (unless you just want to join the gopro club, it happens alot).

Part of the reason I brought up GoPro is because I figured it would be better to have something small and discrete. Most classrooms aren't really designed to have much room for setting up stuff like this.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Nov 27, 2015

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Has anyone had any experience with external USB batteries? Any brand/model you'd recommend?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

hackbunny posted:

Has anyone had any experience with external USB batteries? Any brand/model you'd recommend?

The Anker line is pretty solid.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

I have thought about this, although from what I've seen, most instructors at my institution either encourage or don't seem to care about that kind of thing. In my case, I have a disability accommodation thing for ADHD that allows me a designated note-taker in a class if I ever need it, but the note-takers are always other students, who may or may not take very good notes. I had a class last year where nobody really took notes at all, because the instructor didn't actually teach us any material and there was nothing to take notes for.

This is basically a designated note-taker in camera form. As long as I make it clear that nobody except me is allowed access to my recordings (with the possible exception of other students with my accommodation, if the instructor requests it), then I should be okay.

Part of the reason I brought up GoPro is because I figured it would be better to have something small and discrete. Most classrooms aren't really designed to have much room for setting up stuff like this.

As a former lecturer: Nope. No loving way. Not happy. I would direct you to disability services and they will find you a note taker. Most lecture theaters at my university were equipped with cameras so the lecturer can record and distribute to students who need it - that's at lecturers discretion and making it generally available always results in 60% of the class not turning up, so most lecturers hate recordings even when they pretend they don't. Making it available only to students who need it was possible with our set-up and was viewed more favorably. It also means the equipment might already be in place if you ask nicely, so you don't need to spend any money.

It's an individual thing, but personally I would only let students video my lectures if they literally had no arms (I had one or two thalidomide students over the years) and disability services couldn't find a note taker, and I was in one of the 10% of lecture theaters that hadn't been refurbished with recording.

I didn't want students skipping lectures because there's a video of it is being passed around on the college network, which is exactly what you're proposing to do. And I don't want to be on YouTube, but that's a personal preference.

If you go ahead, "small and discrete" when referring to video cameras is what you use to attach to your shoe to get up-skirt shots or plant in the womens bathroom, and you're regarded with about as much trust as someone who does that. If you do have a camera, ask the lecturer first, then be very obvious with it and always sit front row somewhere easily seen. You may be asked to get permission from everyone else in the lecture theater, because they may not want to be recorded either. With audio only devices, same deal with asking the lecturer, but you probably don't need to ask everyone else in the room (also, these existed in every lecture theater, so you can probably save the money)

Lastly, if you need a video recording, then your note taking skills suck. That's a much more important thing to learn if you want to function as a professional - you won't have video cameras to rely on in a meeting when you graduate.

TL;DR It's the 21st Century and the lecture theater probably already has professional gear fitted. Don't waste your money.

Captain Postal has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Nov 27, 2015

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Etrips posted:

Agreed

I have owned this small 5600mAh one for years and it's still going strong http://amzn.to/1InLWnU
And now have this larger one for two devices http://amzn.to/1InLQg5

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Captain Postal posted:

As a former lecturer: Nope. No loving way. Not happy. I would direct you to disability services and they will find you a note taker.

Disability services at my school doesn't do this. It's a big school and they just don't have the staff or the resources to do that.

Captain Postal posted:

Most lecture theaters at my university were equipped with cameras so the lecturer can record and distribute to students who need it - that's at lecturers discretion and making it generally available always results in 60% of the class not turning up, so most lecturers hate recordings even when they pretend they don't. Making it available only to students who need it was possible with our set-up and was viewed more favorably. It also means the equipment might already be in place if you ask nicely, so you don't need to spend any money.

At my school, the equipment isn't in place in a lot of places, and in the ones where it is it usually isn't turned on, or is all the way in the back of the room. In those rooms the video and audio quality aren't particularly great.

Captain Postal posted:

I didn't want students skipping lectures because there's a video of it is being passed around on the college network, which is exactly what you're proposing to do.

No, that's not what I'm proposing to do. I never proposed to do that. You're just putting words in my mouth here. I have more sense than that.

Captain Postal posted:

If you go ahead, "small and discrete" when referring to video cameras is what you use to attach to your shoe to get up-skirt shots or plant in the womens bathroom, and you're regarded with about as much trust as someone who does that.

Go gently caress yourself.

Captain Postal posted:

Lastly, if you need a video recording, then your note taking skills suck. That's a much more important thing to learn if you want to function as a professional - you won't have video cameras to rely on in a meeting when you graduate.

I have a loving learning disability. The last thing I need to hear from you is how I can't function as a professional. My note taking skills are actually fine; I'd just like something to help me put them in context with what the instructor is saying.

TL;DR Go gently caress yourself.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Nov 28, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Etrips posted:

Thirding this, they're my go-to brand for USB cables, chargers and external/internal batteries. Everything I've ever bought from them has been top quality.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Postal posted:

making it generally available always results in 60% of the class not turning up, so most lecturers hate recordings even when they pretend they don't.

I didn't want students skipping lectures because there's a video of it is being passed around on the college network
Why do you even care? What difference does it make to you whether students watch you in person or a recording? :confused:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Apparently GoPros have lovely audio quality without a peripheral mic, so those are now out unless there's a good deal on a combo set or something. Otherwise, I'm basically looking at small camcorders at this point.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

This is basically a designated note-taker in camera form. As long as I make it clear that nobody except me is allowed to see my recordings (with the possible exception of other students with my accommodation, if the instructor requests it), then I should be okay.

As also a former lecturer please, please discuss this with the instructors first.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Beep boop, how does One human?

Comatoast has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Nov 28, 2015

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Geoj posted:

Thirding this, they're my go-to brand for USB cables, chargers and external/internal batteries. Everything I've ever bought from them has been top quality.

Anker it is then! Thanks everyone

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

AnimalChin posted:

As also a former lecturer please, please discuss this with the instructors first.

Oh, of course I would! :)

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for an electric heating blanket for my Fiance who is perpetually cold. I have no idea if they exist but are there any that can charge up and be used wireless? It'd be great to have the blanket charge up during the day at work so she could start it up when she get's home and get toasty.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

m.hache posted:

I'm looking for an electric heating blanket for my Fiance who is perpetually cold. I have no idea if they exist but are there any that can charge up and be used wireless? It'd be great to have the blanket charge up during the day at work so she could start it up when she get's home and get toasty.

I don't think there are battery operated blankets, but I got my wife (who is perpetually cold) a hoodie from this line and it's like the best gift I ever gave her.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Any suggestions for wool socks to wear around the house?

Slippers make my feet too sweaty so I'd rather just wear some really warm socks.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Crain posted:

Any suggestions for wool socks to wear around the house?

Slippers make my feet too sweaty so I'd rather just wear some really warm socks.

Merino wool socks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Smartwool sucks own. Expensive though

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

Merino wool socks.

Unless you have an entirely carpeted house, merino socks are going to wear out so loving fast.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I got some alpaca wool socks from Amazon and they do the trick.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
They make super thick and big wool boot socks that are comfy for that kind of thing. They didn't wear out for the couple years I had them until I started wearing them in shoes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are slipper socks for wearing around the house with reinforced bottoms.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Darn Tough.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

just go nude man

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Anyone know of any good lip balms? I have a lovely little Eos ball but it's so weak in power that unless I'm constantly slathering it all over my lips they still dry out. Then I bite the poo poo out of them and end up tearing my lips open. I used to have this gross blue chapstick that'd melt everything off and keep my lips super smooth if I applied it once or twice a day but that got lost somewhere.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Anyone know of any good lip balms? I have a lovely little Eos ball but it's so weak in power that unless I'm constantly slathering it all over my lips they still dry out. Then I bite the poo poo out of them and end up tearing my lips open. I used to have this gross blue chapstick that'd melt everything off and keep my lips super smooth if I applied it once or twice a day but that got lost somewhere.

experienceBeej posted:

If you've got money to burn and a sympathetic dermatologist, look into tacrolimus ointment (brand name is Protopic). I use that to heal the skin around my lips when shaving irritates them. It's CAD$80/ 50mL tube, though. You only use a tiny amount when applying, so it can last a long time.

Cortisone can thin skin if used over a long period of time, but tacrolimus used as an ointment doesn't have the same effect. It does heat up and get mildly uncomfortable, so try using it before bed.

Otherwise, I just dab on some water, then cover my lips in petroleum jelly. YMMV.

Mushinronsha posted:

Primal Pit Paste makes the best lip balm I've ever tried. All natural ingredients and lasts ALL day long. Their pit paste is great too

SpartanIV posted:

I've been incredibly happy with my tubes of Burts Bees chapstick. I even put one through the wash and it survived!

Pick posted:

Dr. dans, as I recommended previously. Made for cancer patients originally, doesn't gently caress around.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Can someone recommend a decent flashlight for me? I'd like something fairly inexpensive (it's a gift idea for me for xmas), yet better than the lovely free harbor freight LED flashlights. I would prefer something small/medium sized that maybe runs on normal AA or AAA batteries.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

dreesemonkey posted:

Can someone recommend a decent flashlight for me? I'd like something fairly inexpensive (it's a gift idea for me for xmas), yet better than the lovely free harbor freight LED flashlights. I would prefer something small/medium sized that maybe runs on normal AA or AAA batteries.

Go for a Fenix, something like the E35. Not too expensive and bright as all gently caress.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I've always been pretty happy with Maglites. I've lost several, but never had one break on me that I recall. I haven't looked into them in a few years, but I would bet they've got LED models now if that's something you want.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

For something keychain sized I'd take a gander at:

-Fenix EO5 - 1x AAA
-FiveSeven Atom A0 - 1x AAA
-Streamlight Nano - 4x LR41

If you don't care it being that small, there are a lot of options in the single AAA and AA powered flashlights. I'd suggest going over to candlepowerforums.com and looking for suggestions there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Happy with my Fenix LD20. I use it primarily in "Turbo" mode, and it's for alerting drivers when I'm crossing streets at night on my way home. I've come to rely on the strobe mode as the last ditch effort to keep idiots from running me over.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

There's forum for that. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php?s=1874ce4bcd87601c3a43e361182b19b2

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
How is this place not on fire with Christmas coming up?

The girlfriend is one who loves soft things and being warm, so I thought a Christmas with that sort of theme might work.

What is the best robe in existence?
Blanket?
Pillow?
Bed sheets?

Now, what are the far cheaper but still nice options for all of those things?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

My boyfriend is really hard to shop for, so I'm asking this thread for Christmas ideas. Looking for unique or interesting things that aren't over $100. His likes include:

-Death metal
-Spicy stuff (hot sauce and peppers. He literally puts ghost chili in just about everything he cooks)
-Craft beer (it'd have to be something really unique, he's tried just about everything and has plenty of glasses and growlers)
-Video games
-Guns
-Meat/cooking
-General nerdy crap
-Working out
-Espresso
-Hiking

Right now my "to get" list is some good beef jerky and a digital meat thermometer. Just looking for something else that's really cool to go along with them. TIA :)

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

My boyfriend is really hard to shop for, so I'm asking this thread for Christmas ideas. Looking for unique or interesting things that aren't over $100. His likes include:

-Death metal
-Spicy stuff (hot sauce and peppers. He literally puts ghost chili in just about everything he cooks)
-Craft beer (it'd have to be something really unique, he's tried just about everything and has plenty of glasses and growlers)
-Video games
-Guns
-Meat/cooking
-General nerdy crap
-Working out
-Espresso
-Hiking

Right now my "to get" list is some good beef jerky and a digital meat thermometer. Just looking for something else that's really cool to go along with them. TIA :)

Thermapen makes a great meat thermometer.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
How about some indoor planters of herbs he uses often? Fresh cilantro is to die for if he does a lot of Mexican, and rosemary, oregano, and green onions are staples that go well with what you're describing and are pretty easy to take care of

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

An oak barrel to age whisky is a cool and good gift. Takes maybe a month or two and any whisky will smooth out and become delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/search/hbc-/blankets

Very subjective. Firm? Squishy? Hard as a rock?
Could venture over here for reviews: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/pillow-reviews.html

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets/