Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
It's the feeling I would have if someone I knew got mind blowingly drunk and smashed their car into a tree, paralyzing themselves, but narrowly missing a caravan of old women and babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

It's the feeling I would have if someone I knew got mind blowingly drunk and smashed their car into a tree, paralyzing themselves, but narrowly missing a caravan of old women and babies

thats a weird example. why woudlnt you feel bad for your friend while also being relieved he or she didnt do anything unforgivable

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
as cool as isis may seem to us guys, it was certainly no 'turkish delighte' for these women.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

babypolis posted:

do you think these girls actually shot anyone? or actively harmed anyone besides being a propaganda piece? if they were actually sadistic and violent enough to do some real bad poo poo i dont think they would tried to run away

I think that they definitely helped recruit more young men (who definitely shot people) and more young women (who may or may not end up shooting someone). Just because they are young women doesn't absolve them of all agency, although they don't look to me as bad as that lady who was part of the religious brigade and definitely shot people

Isis depends on women to control other women, so I'm not really willing to write off all women complicit as not terrible people

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
15 year old socially isolated boys shoot up their high school: rightfully reviled for being evil

15 year old socially isolated girls join murderous insane death cult: NO SEE THEY WERE CONFUSED AND

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

babypolis posted:

thats a weird example. why woudlnt you feel bad for your friend while also being relieved he or she didnt do anything unforgivable

I would definitely feel bad for them, but feel worse for the old women and babies that they would have killed had they not ran into a tree. If they had done this multiple times in the past and continued to drive drunk and nearly kill people, I would feel even less bad for them, because they would be making consistently bad decisions (as these girls did) that put other people's lives in danger

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
A lot of war criminals do the whole :qq: "its not my fault they made me do it". Just saying, maybe going to the land of genocide to help genocide is a crime. They may not have personally hurt anyone, but they were knowingly collaberating with the people who were.

People who go to join ISIS should be put on trial when they come back, simple as. It's horrible that they've ruined thier futures, but they chose to go and join the people RUNNING THE HUMAN EXTERMINATION CAMPAIGN. At 17, you know better, you've studied the Nazis at school and that.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

OldMemes posted:

A lot of war criminals do the whole :qq: "its not my fault they made me do it". Just saying, maybe going to the land of genocide to help genocide is a crime. They may not have personally hurt anyone, but they were knowingly collaberating with the people who were.

People who go to join ISIS should be put on trial when they come back, simple as.

If you willingly go to a war zone to help feed, clothe, and provide material support to people committing genocide, how complicit are you?*

*historically you would just be firebombed the same as regular combatants, but it is 2015

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

whoflungpoop posted:

15 year old socially isolated boys shoot up their high school: rightfully reviled for being evil

15 year old socially isolated girls join murderous insane death cult: NO SEE THEY WERE CONFUSED AND

if they personally murdered a bunch of people i would have no sympahty for them but thats probably not the case is it? but thanks for the completely useless analogy whoflungpoop

I think that they definitely helped recruit more young men (who definitely shot people) and more young women (who may or may not end up shooting someone). Just because they are young women doesn't absolve them of all agency, although they don't look to me as bad as that lady who was part of the religious brigade and definitely shot people

Isis depends on women to control other women, so I'm not really willing to write off all women complicit as not terrible people

yes they probably aided in isis goals, im not absolving them of that responsability. but its much easier to feel bad for people who only indirectly contributed to the violence

OldMemes posted:

People who go to join ISIS should be put on trial when they come back, simple as. It's horrible that they've ruined thier futures, but they chose to go and join the people RUNNING THE HUMAN EXTERMINATION CAMPAIGN. At 17, you know better, you've studied the Nazis at school and that.

sso you think we should have hanged every nazi?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

babypolis posted:

sso you think we should have hanged every nazi?

Every member of the Nazi party who knew about the Holocaust should have been put on trial, yes.

Because you know, commiting crimes against humanity is a bad thing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Are the Syrian women who were are native to Syria, or otherwise captured, and used as sex slaves/wombs for making more jihadi's/etc also war criminals for being complicit?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm :stonk: at you losers feeling feeling bad/defending terrorists who are part of an organization that executes 5 year olds, murders gay people, burns people alive, etc.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Every member of the Nazi party who knew about the Holocaust should have been put on trial, yes.

a trial and prison time is a far better fate than being raped and beaten to death, imo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I'm :stonk: at you losers feeling feeling bad/defending terrorists who are part of an organization that executes 5 year olds, murders gay people, burns people alive, etc.

god loving dammit how can you be this stupid and miss the point so hard

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It sucks that they died though. As bad as they are, no-one deserves to be tortured to death ever.

Methanar posted:

Are the Syrian women who were are native to Syria, or otherwise captured, and used as sex slaves/wombs for making more jihadi's/etc also war criminals for being complicit and not being brave and trying to escape or die trying?

No, because those are the victims. They didn't decide to travel and join the terrorists, they were getting on with things, then people decided to commit war crimes against them.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

James Foley, a journalist she had never heard of, had been beheaded by ISIS, a group she knew nothing about. The searing image of the young man kneeling as the knife was lifted to his throat stayed with her.

Riveted by the killing, and struck by a horrified curiosity, she logged on to Twitter to see if she could learn more.

“I was looking for people who agreed with what they were doing, so that I could understand why they were doing it,” she said. “It was actually really easy to find them.”

She found herself shocked again, this time by the fact that people who openly identified as belonging to the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, took the time to politely answer her questions.

This is the young woman in the story linked by babypolis. The IS didn't seek her out. She sought them out.

If your reaction to imagery of someone having their throat slit is to seek out sympathisers so that you can "understand", then you're already half way to accepting their justifications. A frightening number of the IS recruitment stories start with "I just wanted to know so I sought out Islamic extremists".

Methanar posted:

Are the Syrian women who were are native to Syria, or otherwise captured, and used as sex slaves/wombs for making more jihadi's/etc also war criminals for being complicit?

Our attitude towards "collaborators" and "enemy non-combatants" was codified a long time ago. If you volunteer to join/aid the enemy, then you're open to repercussions even if you gave that aid on the basis of false promises (they promised you a hulky, jihadi husband or a role as a female warrior and made you a sex slave instead, for instance).

I think we desperately need to revise those "rules" to bring them more in line with the modern world, but in what direction I'm not sure.

Realistically, we're not going to see modern day Nuremburg trials, but we do need to decide what the hell we're going to do with people we capture who've in some way been involved in atrocities against others or who return voluntarily. The RICO-type option of "we'll give you a free pass if you roll over on others" seems somehow insufficient.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 29, 2015

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I kind of feel bad for everyone involved (including probably some of the guys or kids who end up shooting people), but realistically I feel much, much worse for um, some people rather than others. I feel bad for the situation is really the polite way to put it :)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

babypolis posted:

a trial and prison time is a far better fate than being raped and beaten to death, imo

probably shouldnt of joined a genoicidal death cult. they've dug up mass graves full of women 40+ who ISIS killed because they're too old to bother raping.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Methanar posted:

They weren't living in a western country, making an informed decision to go there with the expressed intent of joining a terrorist organization.

Apples and oranges.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lolie posted:

This is the young woman in the story linked by babypolis. The IS didn't seek her out. She sought them out.

If your reaction to imagery of someone having their throat slit is to seek out sympathisers so that you can "understand", then you're already half way to accepting their justifications. A frightening number of the IS recruitment stories start with "I just wanted to know so I sought out Islamic extremists".

i thought that artcile mentioned that she started out arguing with them

hemale in pain posted:

probably shouldnt of joined a genoicidal death cult. they've dug up mass graves full of women 40+ who've ISIS killed because they're too old to bother raping.

yes they made a very bad choice and paid dearly for it. it makes me sad, and apparently thats a controversial statement in this here forums

I kind of feel bad for everyone involved (including probably some of the guys or kids who end up shooting people), but realistically I feel much, much worse for um, some people rather than others. I feel bad for the situation is really the polite way to put it :)

i agree with this post

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the middle east is in ruins and europe is under siege and all u guys can talk about are the fates of a couple of loving white vice journalists? holy poo poo

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

babypolis posted:

i do agree that some things are unforgivable

That's pretty hardcore man. I like it.

babypolis posted:

i dont think these girls actually did anything that could be considered as such.

This is an org that gets actual children to execute prisoners. I'd say the chances that these terrorists actually did some terrorist stuff are pretty good.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

the middle east is in ruins and europe is under siege and all u guys can talk about are the fates of a couple of loving white vice journalists? holy poo poo

i too am surprised that people are discussing a topic in the thread about said topic because i am extremely retarded

spacetoaster posted:

That's pretty hardcore man. I like it.

This is an org that gets actual children to execute prisoners. I'd say the chances that these terrorists actually did some terrorist stuff are pretty good.

i dont think so but well probably never know for sure

babypolis fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 29, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
These fine young upstanding teenage girl Isis members don't care if you have sympathy for them since they were beat to death.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

organized religion is to blame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_T7E360Zo

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
imo young, impressionable and vulnerable teenagers deserve what they get for not having stronger characters

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

These fine young upstanding teenage girl Isis members don't care if you have sympathy for them since they were beat to death.

thats wrong their ghosts are reading this thread RIGHT NOW

stay safe isis ghost

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

tetsuo posted:

imo young, impressionable and vulnerable teenagers deserve what they get for not having stronger characters

Honestly, it's their parents fault.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

if you dont say "stay safe isis ghost" within the next 10 minutes your firstborn daughter will end up joining isis and marrying a 40 year old fat terrorist

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

tetsuo posted:

i feel bad for teenagers getting tricked by rapists into meeting up online but i feel like travelling abroad to join ISIS takes a bewildering amount of stupidity and malice which you can't really explain with naivety.

unless they were brainwashed by their parents or something

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

i feel bad for teenagers getting tricked by rapists into meeting up online but i feel like travelling abroad to join ISIS takes a bewildering amount of stupidity and malice which you can't really explain with naivety.

Boys in nazi Germany were put into Hitler youth and brainwashed from a young age to worship the state and ended up watching over concentration camps at around these ages and we give them life sentences almost 80 years later because we consider them so horrible and a lot of people think letting them draw another breath is too lenient

These retards come from the most protected and privileged societies on earth and taught that treating women like cattle is wrong from the time they are babies but we have sympathy for them when they go off and do atrocities that would make Fritz sitting trial at the Hague kill himself

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

theres a theory of human development that says that there are different stages of human thought and logic. first stage is a baby who doesnt even understand object permanence ie that he is own perspctive is not the entire universe and that things dont cease to exist when he does not perceive them. stage 2 is little kids who understand that other people have thoughts and feelings but only care about their own. stage 3 is the communal stage, were we define ourselves by our relationships to others and have basically unlimited responsabilites towards other members of the group because as far as you know or care their feelings and needs are your feelings and needs. this is the stage at which most teenagers (and many adults) are at. my point here is that if you control a teenagers entire social sphere you basically control their self and can shape it however you want. of course there is no guarantee that self will actually stand up when faced with the horrifying reality

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
These girls remind me of a hot chick roommate i used to live with who wrote to some guy who killed his mom an shot up his highschool.

She just had this unhealthy attraction to this school shooting counter culture poo poo. She was actually a pretty smoking little slut too. For any of the arm chair developmental psychologists out there her dad was a closeted gay dude who i am pretty sure was a pedo and her mom was a wierd looking british lady.

Needless to say i followed babypolis' advice an felt enormous sympathy for her, mostly by sport loving her HARD on new years while we were drunk, an again and again because my sympathy was so huge and significant.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 29, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lolie posted:

I didn't think it'd be so easy to find terrorist groups posting on twitter either, that's why ISIS is so dangerous. Hell I was looking for twitter posts about a soccer match a month ago and kept finding posts by ISIS accounts using the worldwide trends to send their messages. I remember being like "what the gently caress?"

I don't think it's necessarily wrong to try and understand why people do this poo poo, though with the internet these days people who don't know better quickly find terrible people who try to brainwash them. add a mistrust of traditional media and you get a lot of people who get recruited . and that's in the west, imagine what's it like in countries where the traditional media is actively censored and controlled by their govs or has a history of being controlled, the situation is probably worse there.

Hell, it's not that recent a phenomenon, about 10 years ago, my German language teacher told us to be careful if we looked for information on Nazis on the internet, because actual nazis had their website up and could give us propaganda.

It's something to be addressed for sure because it's quite a scary thought to think people can be manipulated so easily. people say "don't trust everything you see on tv", they should add "and please god don't believe anything you read on the internet"

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 29, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

babypolis posted:

if you dont say "stay safe isis ghost" within the next 10 minutes your firstborn daughter will end up joining isis and marrying a 40 year old fat terrorist

if you're that desperate for a wife just do online dating.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i think people underestimate ease with which our stupid monkey brains can be fooled and deceived into accepting poo poo that goes from harmless to heinous in this case. even so people like these girls only represent a very tiny minority of humans that had the misfortune to have the right combinations of traits such as being weak willed, isolated, maybe angry at something etc. that led them to throw away their comfortable lives. and i think thats sad, and i imagine what they must have felt once the reality of the horror they had willingly walked into dawned of them and its gut wrenching. and some people get angry at this, because how dare you prioritize the suffering of those who did this to themselves over the ones who simply had it hoisted upon them with no fault of their own?. but thankfully this is not our minds work, because if we could actually feel all the pain thats out there we would go mad. we live our lives mostly oblivious to it, except every once in a while we come upon something that reminds us of what is out there. like a lovely online article that offers a tiny slice of misery, a tragic tale of a stupid but probably not evil girl who did a very stupid thing and paid dearly for it. thank you, and god bless america

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

whoflungpoop posted:

I'm a women and I'm arguing that the 15 year old girls shouldn't be given a pass just because they're treated badly by the IS and don't get their names in Dabiq when they die.

The reasons why teenagers find the IS appealing are not substantially different between genders. The 15 year old boy who shoots someone in the name of the IS (which happened here in Sydney recently) and gets shot by police has been just as manipulated into romanticising their actions by the IS as the 15 year old girl who travels to Syria. Just because we often can't directly measure the harm these women do to others doesn't mean they're doing none. People die because of the choices these young women have made, whether or not these young women ever pick up a weapon themselves or "merely" entice others into danger or throw them to the wolves.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

babypolis posted:

i think people underestimate ease with which our stupid monkey brains can be fooled and deceived into accepting poo poo that goes from harmless to heinous in this case. even so people like these girls only represent a very tiny minority of humans that had the misfortune to have the right combinations of traits such as being weak willed, isolated, maybe angry at something etc. that led them to throw away their comfortable lives. and i think thats sad, and i imagine what they must have felt once the reality of the horror they had willingly walked into dawned of them and its gut wrenching. and some people get angry at this, because how dare you prioritize the suffering of those who did this to themselves over the ones who simply had it hoisted upon them with no fault of their own?. but thankfully this is not our minds work, because if we could actually feel all the pain thats out there we would go mad. we live our lives mostly oblivious to it, except every once in a while we come upon something that reminds us of what is out there. like a lovely online article that offers a tiny slice of misery, a tragic tale of a stupid but probably not evil girl who did a very stupid thing and paid dearly for it. thank you, and god bless america

hahahah yeah this is a post I read

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
no one can ever be held accountable for any of their actions because at any moment the man at Isis can get on twitter and assume direct control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

babypolis posted:

leftwingbullshit.txt

• Locked thread