Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ryoshi posted:

Except it's NOT just in-the-know gamers this time around, they advertised this poo poo during NFL broadcasts a few Sundays ago. Not during ads - during the actual broadcasts themselves.

So it goes back to my earlier point of front-loading the "epic" and impressive talking points in the intro/trailers.

Is that really any different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Thing dragging down an unreleased game: The really interesting looking Lily Bergamo by Grasshopper Manufacture got scrapped and turned into the way less good looking Let It Die.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Skill checks in dialogue are good, but they really ought to be more than just “see the option with a skill highlighted next to it/the longest and most elaborate option, click it, win”. Pretty much every RPG with skill checks falls for that pitfall to a lesser or greater extent, though. It’s a hard one to get around without feeling like a cheap “gotcha” moment – haha, you thought you’d get a good resolution by picking the skill check dialogue, but you didn’t!! Sucker!!! I remember Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Bloodlines doing it pretty well but I can’t remember specifics.
Dragonfall had one that I really liked. I can't remember the specifics, but you were trying to change someone's mind and having a particular skill gave you the option to use this logical, well-reasoned argument... that the person totally ignores because you can't convince someone to change their mind about something they passionately believe like that. When it happened I just had to think "Well, shouldn't have expected that to work, really."

Nuebot posted:

Maybe I'm being overly skeptical about the whole thing but it feels like just front loading the first few hours of a game and then not giving a poo poo about the rest of it is the new version of the whole pre-rendered trailer issue a few years back where people would get suckered in by the pre-rendered trailers then get really upset the game didn't look that good. Now we get games that are really great for like an hour, then turn into almost completely different games as soon as the standard streamer preview/review time is up.
It's not specifically for reviews and previews (or not just for them anyway), the start of a game is pretty much always going to be the best bit because it's the bit that the most people see. The percentage of people who actually finish games is really small, most people don't even come close, so when the developers are working to a deadline and having to make sacrifices, the bits most people aren't even going to get to are the bits that get the least attention.

Ryoshi posted:

Except it's NOT just in-the-know gamers this time around, they advertised this poo poo during NFL broadcasts a few Sundays ago. Not during ads - during the actual broadcasts themselves.
Normal people don't care though. The "hardcore gamers" will buy it and complain about it and the average customer will buy it and when something doesn't work right they'll shrug and go "oh well, the rest of it's pretty fun."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

It's not specifically for reviews and previews (or not just for them anyway), the start of a game is pretty much always going to be the best bit because it's the bit that the most people see. The percentage of people who actually finish games is really small, most people don't even come close, so when the developers are working to a deadline and having to make sacrifices, the bits most people aren't even going to get to are the bits that get the least attention.

I have to wonder if this is due to the industry striving for length-at-all-costs for a good block of gaming history. If you make a short game (<5 hour minimum completion time), you can make the ending blow the fuckin' doors off and it's not wasted. Undertale has, I think, four places in its best run where it could safely have 'ended' (final encounter, post-final encounter denouement, post-denoument denouement leading to one last 'talk to people' phase, actual ending leading to the credits), because a very large portion of people will play it long enough to get hooked and not many will get bored. Whereas, if you make a JRPG with 40 hours of mandatory main-questline faffing about, you can safely make the ending kinda poo poo because the number of people who will make it there is almost negligible.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Nov 28, 2015

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

poo poo now I'm worried because I just cleared the gunner base. There's no quest there is there :ohdear:

There's a quest in there, but I did the same thing. Walked in randomly, cleared the Vault. Later on found a quest for it, but the whole place reset itself, so no problem.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ryoshi posted:

The Skate games totally own and the controls are great when you get used to them but 3 (I think??) had the worst unfun awful world design of any game ever.

Yeah I think I picked a bad one, so 1 and 2 are better?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Nuebot posted:

One game I really loved as a kid was Monster Rancher 2. When you wanted a new monster you stuck two things, say a blob and a wall, into a room and they fused into a either a blobby wall or a rocky blob. Sure there was RNG and there were like 1% chances you'd get something lovely and you usually wanted one specific thing and sometimes the game would say gently caress you and give you what you didn't want, but generally it was easy to get what you wanted or just reset if you didn't. I didn't have to wait five hours to get my blobby wall, and wait five more hours every time I wanted to retry, or grind fifty walls and blobs so I could make one blob wall, and to top it all off have a game rely on online servers for the single player to work and then tell me I can't play a single player game because the servers are down. I guess my biggest complaint is that the genres I like, are changing in ways I don't like and I want these kids off my drat lawn already.

"What? Who doesn't have internet these days?

What are you? Some kind of poor? :smuggo:"

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I've been playing Resident Evil 6 and while I enjoy the Zombie Wrestling Simulator that is its combat, it's annoying to deal with zombies that free roam during mini cutscenes. At a gas station, the camera zoomed into a gas pump as a hint that I should shoot it. Only I died as soon as the 10+ second scene ended because the zombies didn't give a poo poo about cutscenes and boxed me into a corner while I was forced to look at this gas pump. There's several instances of this, and often there's a special and very deadly zombie in these sections. :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sleeveless posted:

Normal person: Oh sick, I just got a gun that shoots nuclear warheads! I love this game!

Goon: Who are you trying to fool, Bethesda?! -plugs another pin onto a piece of string on their Beautiful Mind wall-

Like any good target du jour, Bethesda is simultaneously a clown college full of jokers who can't do anything right and also a shadowy cabal of elite puppetmasters laughing all the way to the bank.

Obviously, Bethesda does the bare minimum of QA because they know everyone will slap every goofy bug they encounter up on Youtube, which is just free advertising for them. :tinfoil:

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

Obviously, Bethesda does the bare minimum of QA because they know everyone will slap every goofy bug they encounter up on Youtube, which is just free advertising for them. :tinfoil:

I wish I had been able to record that Skyrim glitch where blood just constantly squirted from a point in thin air. I even tried reloading my game and the universe was still bleeding.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

John Murdoch posted:

Like any good target du jour, Bethesda is simultaneously a clown college full of jokers who can't do anything right and also a shadowy cabal of elite puppetmasters laughing all the way to the bank.

That's why I stick with the clown college hypothesis, to avoid inconsistencies

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

That's why I stick with the clown college hypothesis, to avoid inconsistencies

Go with 'lazy clown college' and you've covered all the bases.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I disapprove of calling game developers lazy. Never attribute to malice etc

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's weird, because some quests do account for you having whatever quest item or components already in the dialogue tree.

As for the staff shipping broken content, I really believe it's due to complacency. Bethesda is known by gamers for being janky and buggy, so much so it's practically a trademark for them at this point. If people expect this as normal and buy the games anyways, what difference does it make for Bethesda?

Why change what's working when you can just load up the hype train vis a vis Todd Howard and release the exact same jank to the exact same fanfare?

I think it's also because of the mod tools. Within the first few days there were already some pretty big mod changes up on the Nexus. Why would they spend money trying to perfect one part of the game they know the modders are going to rip apart and put back together? And the modders have been doing this for years, even going as far as supporting the older versions of the games so you can play them on modern machines while Bethesda just sort of sits there all "Yeup our jobs are done."

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I got a chance to play Fallout 4 for a little while earlier, all I got was brighter palette's and then just switched off when it came to the whole crafting element.

Fallout 2 will always be the top of the list even though it was a complete buggy mess. If anyone feels like they they need to spend an age collecting resources and such to craft a wall instead of immersing themselves in the quest's and storyline's that are on offer is a mystery. I may be cynical in my old age, but when it comes to RPG's I'm more about finishing a story than finding that final nail to build a cupboard that I always dreamed of. I did play Fallout 3, the less said about it the better.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

I disapprove of calling game developers lazy. Never attribute to malice etc

Speaking as a game developer, laziness isn't necessarily malicious. A little forgivable laziness in the early stages ("I can totally fix that if it ever comes up later") can end up causing massive, horrible problems later ("Oh god I built half of the quest handling system around that thing, I can't change it now"). You build a couple of things hard-coded, you build a couple of workarounds, and the next thing you know you've got a black box you can't touch for fear of losing everything.

Basically, as a programmer, you either put too much effort into everything and end up wasting 90% of that effort, or you risk picking the wrong thing to not put effort in on and you gently caress yourself and your team over.

So, in Bethesda's case, you end up with poo poo like "Every major dialogue needs four voiced options because I couldn't figure out a way to show more and our game throws a deep null pointer if you give it less, and at this point the choice system is bound to the button press rather than the dialogue line so we'd have to rebuild all of the existing quests to cope with a shift." Ubisoft has poo poo like "All of our animation code was tied to this one particular rig which is actually specially built for this one character model, so we can't swap in a female character because none of our code will work for it because we handled everything with string literals rather than references."

Please note that this is me trying to find code-level explanations for this stuff- the real reasons might be a lot dumber than either of those- but early tiny mistakes can lead to fuckups down the line. This is why people mention engine ages. Those fuckups will happen and they will increase as the age of the engine progresses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I got a chance to play Fallout 4 for a little while earlier, all I got was brighter palette's and then just switched off when it came to the whole crafting element.

Fallout 2 will always be the top of the list even though it was a complete buggy mess. If anyone feels like they they need to spend an age collecting resources and such to craft a wall instead of immersing themselves in the quest's and storyline's that are on offer is a mystery. I may be cynical in my old age, but when it comes to RPG's I'm more about finishing a story than finding that final nail to build a cupboard that I always dreamed of. I did play Fallout 3, the less said about it the better.

You can do that. You started the sidequest that lets you do crafting. It's not part of the story.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So Force of Will is a really good and cool game. It's a Magic: the Gathering knock off, but unlike most of the other clones on the market, it innovates on a lot of the game concepts in a smart manner, making a streamlined, fast pace, and strategic game. I can only hope it blossoms into a proper niche game if not grow into full on popularity.

BUT

The advertising is rear end and they're catering way too hard to that otaku audience. The game is filled to the brim with generic anime girls and masks an otherwise deep strategy game as a long series of crass pin up poo poo.

More obnoxious is that they've shown that they can have quite a lot of variety with the sorts of characters portrayed on the cards. Males in particular come in a wide variety of creative shapes and art styles. But women? loving moe blobs every time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 3: Yes, I know I can't create a social link with Aegis right now. You can stop telling me so every time I speak to her.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Thing dragging Fallout 4 for me is they nailed dog behavior perfectly in that every time I try to trade items with Dogmeat it results in a goddam chase where he won't stop moving further away from me, preventing me from triggering dialogue :argh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Responding from the Hoaxes and Urban Legends thread in Games:

MisterBibs posted:

Bit of a cross-post from the poo poo Dragging Down This Game thread in PYF, but it always annoyed me that Game Dev Tycoon always goes with recorded history when it comes to PC/Video games. It'd be really awesome if, during one game, poo poo like the Nintendo Playstation happened.

It's also iffy because it makes announcements like the (fictional equivalents of the) Nintendo PlayStation and Dreamcast and I assume you're actually expected to believe them and fall for them but like you said it plays out exactly as in real life,especially in the latter case where everyone knows that the Dreamcast got crushed by the PS2 and sure enough it happens in the game too, so you've got no incentive to ever develop for it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You monster, that underdog system only crashed and burned because you didn't develop the equivalent of Mario 64 as an exclusive for it

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Thing dragging Fallout 4 for me is they nailed dog behavior perfectly in that every time I try to trade items with Dogmeat it results in a goddam chase where he won't stop moving further away from me, preventing me from triggering dialogue :argh:

if you look at him and press the action button you can then command him to come to you instead of having to chase him.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Nuebot posted:

One of the ones that broke for me wasn't even a radiant quest, it was a full blown quest line. I had to go rescue some lady from a cult except I'd already been there earlier and killed the cult for being a weird cult. So a few hours later I get the quest and you're normally supposed to go rescue her from the back room the of the cultists. But since I'd already opened the back room door she just didn't spawn into the world. :shepface: Quest points me to a room behind door I can't open without a key I don't have and can't get until I complete the quest. Using console commands to noclip through just reveals that it's pointing to the floor, for no real reason. Spawning the NPC into the world just has her spout generic dialogue at me.

I know the one you're talking about. Oddly enough, I went back there for the quest mission and had a new dialogue option when dealing with the new cult leader (since I blasted the old one). It was an intimidation option to get the "hostage" back, basically saying "hey, BTW I murdered the previous guy running this scam" and he unlocked the door and ran off. So maybe wait for a few days for the area to reset?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I picked up Split/Second during this Steam sale after watching some videos of it and thinking it's my kind of game. It really is, but holy poo poo, does the menu system just suck beyond belief. It's super slow and unresponsive, and when you have a game where you have time trial tracks that requires pinpoint precision to get hit the target time, you will spend a lot of time restarting, which makes it even more frustrating. Some of the annoyance comes from the fact that most other racing games seem really quick to restart a race when you screw up, this one feels like you have to wait 15 seconds per button press to get into the menu and select restart.

You can't even select the option screen from the pause menu, you have to do it from the main menu at the beginning, which means enjoy backing out of about 3 other menus just so you can turn the sound effects down a bit to hear the music better.

It also feels strange that you can't really ram cars in the game to try to crash them, considering the whole point of the game is trying to make them crash to get the edge on them. I love the power play system, and it makes for some amazing moments in the races, but they would be a lot more fun if you could also try to pit maneuver the other racers.

That said, for 5 bucks, it really is a fun racing game. I will probably play it to the end, just to see what crazy track explosions it'll throw at me next.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm playing on PS3. The quicktime events gave me a lot less trouble on normal difficulty, though, it feels like. (And if that's the case, what a perverse way of making the game harder.)

Urgh, you just reminded me of trying to beat Metal Gear Solid 2 on Extreme. Got through >90% of the game but just before the penultimate boss battle, there's a scene where you lose life from being choked and have to hammer a button to restore your health, it's harder on higher difficulties and I simply could not do it on extreme. Got through so much poo poo to be beaten by a button-mashing section. I should have played more of those athletics games in my youth.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Kaincypher posted:

I know the one you're talking about. Oddly enough, I went back there for the quest mission and had a new dialogue option when dealing with the new cult leader (since I blasted the old one). It was an intimidation option to get the "hostage" back, basically saying "hey, BTW I murdered the previous guy running this scam" and he unlocked the door and ran off. So maybe wait for a few days for the area to reset?

Yeah, this is how this one played out for me too. Though, I didn't open the door to the back room the first time I shot up the place...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: Bethesda quest design strikes again, by the way. They like to assume you never visit places unless you have quests for them, so if you clear a place then a random quest says to go to that place, or even a non-random one, the quest breaks forever. Right now half my quests are just loving broken and there's nothing I can do.

In those cases I pretty regularly get a dialogue option to tell the questgiver I already did the thing, they comment on it, give me the reward, and the quest ends on the spot. Sorry poo poo's hosed for you!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I hate V.A.T.S. It just really, REALLY slows down my drat game.

I like it as a concept. I can slow down time, choose the target and where I want to hit, and queue up some attacks.

But then I hit "Go" and it's a slog...I don't want to sit through these long, drawn-out animations for every attack. I wish there was an option to just get all the results of my attacks in V.A.T.S. without seeing all that crap. After I hit 'Ok' it just exits out and shows me the results.

I understand I can hit cancel after the shooting animation starts, but it's my understanding that that ALSO cancels out any attacks that are queued, yes? So if I put three shots in, and hit cancel after the first one fires, that one will go through, but the other two won't.

If I'm wrong on that, then I guess V.A.T.S. does what I want it to, but I've tried it after the first shot and it looks like it cancels the other ones, but I'm not always paying 100% attention to their health and how much I should do with 1 shot vs 2 or 3.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DrBouvenstein posted:

I like it as a concept. I can slow down time, choose the target and where I want to hit, and queue up some attacks.

But then I hit "Go" and it's a slog...I don't want to sit through these long, drawn-out animations for every attack. I wish there was an option to just get all the results of my attacks in V.A.T.S. without seeing all that crap. After I hit 'Ok' it just exits out and shows me the results.

I understand I can hit cancel after the shooting animation starts, but it's my understanding that that ALSO cancels out any attacks that are queued, yes? So if I put three shots in, and hit cancel after the first one fires, that one will go through, but the other two won't.

If I'm wrong on that, then I guess V.A.T.S. does what I want it to, but I've tried it after the first shot and it looks like it cancels the other ones, but I'm not always paying 100% attention to their health and how much I should do with 1 shot vs 2 or 3.

Yeah, it cancels the attacks, the intended use is for when you queue up a dozen attacks then the motherfucker moves slightly against a railing or something and you can see that your 6 "90% hit" torso shots are going to ping off the railing instead of hitting anything useful.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, it cancels the attacks, the intended use is for when you queue up a dozen attacks then the motherfucker moves slightly against a railing or something and you can see that your 6 "90% hit" torso shots are going to ping off the railing instead of hitting anything useful.

Or turns so you can't hit his right arm or whatever you were aiming at anymore and instead of still firing at it and aiming his left arm and/or torso that are now in the line of fire you hit gently caress all because Bethesda and gently caress you.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah I just gave up on vats aft the first time using it, and just got better at free aim.

Just got my first fallout bug. There's a quest in vault 81 that won't trigger. I've tried a bunch of recommendations from online forums and it still won't work, and I can't get all the bobble heads because you can't get the medicine one without doing that quest, which is so loving stupid.

Also the ending of the game was really lame.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morglon posted:

Or turns so you can't hit his right arm or whatever you were aiming at anymore and instead of still firing at it and aiming his left arm and/or torso that are now in the line of fire you hit gently caress all because Bethesda and gently caress you.

It is very lame that you either hit the thing you were targeting or nothing at all

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Thin Privilege posted:

Also the ending of the game was really lame.

Uh lamer than the one for FO3 where once you start a certain quest it railroads you to the final area where you're forced to sacrifice yourself to push a button that is totally survivable other than plot reasons, even if you have one of several characters that is literally immune to its harmful effects, and doesn't allow you to keep playing afterwards? Because that would be really hard to top in terms of lame endings.

....Liberty Prime was still loving rad though.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ryoshi posted:

Uh lamer than the one for FO3 where once you start a certain quest it railroads you to the final area where you're forced to sacrifice yourself to push a button that is totally survivable other than plot reasons, even if you have one of several characters that is literally immune to its harmful effects, and doesn't allow you to keep playing afterwards? Because that would be really hard to top in terms of lame endings.

....Liberty Prime was still loving rad though.

I don't remember much of Fallout 3 because it was so boring and I didn't like it at all, so I guess I blocked that out of my memory. I also remember playing the DLCs after having finished the main story so I have no idea how that worked if I died or whatever.

In any case, yeah that sounds much worse.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The DLC made it so after you died you woke up in a Brotherhood medical bay, but until it came out you there just wasn't a post game at all, you're dead, congrats.

Pretty sure Fawkes even insults you a bit of you tell him "hey you're immune to radiation can you go push this button for me?"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Thin Privilege posted:

I don't remember much of Fallout 3 because it was so boring and I didn't like it at all, so I guess I blocked that out of my memory. I also remember playing the DLCs after having finished the main story so I have no idea how that worked if I died or whatever.

In any case, yeah that sounds much worse.

DLCs were like "lol jk you didn't die you just got kinda sick. You're ok now." Also, if you sent the Brotherhood woman in instead of doing it yourself, she's kinda mad at you.

So the quality Bethesda writing you've come to love.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Owning one of those dlcs is what retconned death into near-death, you originally had no option to continue post-msq no matter how much other stuff was unfinished at the time

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
New Vegas doesn't let you keep playing after the ending either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sleeveless posted:

New Vegas doesn't let you keep playing after the ending either.

It's better for it, IMO.