Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I had to go up to Reno for the holiday. Saw a large poster for Jefferson State on the way. I don't know exactly where we were, because I had dozed off, but we were somewhere before Trukee. I woke up, saw that then went back to sleep. Some asshat on my friends fb, who I think hails from around there, has been posting tons of ignorant anarchy/conservative bullshit and complaining that his vote don't count in California, so I can see their motivation, but oh boy would that be a bad idea for them in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The State of Jefferson would have the dubious honor of being the poorest state in the nation. Their only marketable industries would be logging and tourism, and if you've been by the parts of NorCal where there's been serious logging, you can see how logging doesn't improve your tourism.

They'd strip the hills bare and descend into abject poverty, but they'd be able to open carry in defense of the most important amendment, the second. :911:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_15340236?source=rss don't forget that usual "rural red-leaning areas take in more money from the state than they give back" deal

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I lived in Southern Oregon for a few years, and I met my share of Jeffersonian supporters. I even met Jeffersonian "militia" members, which was about the time I realized I needed to get the hell out of there.

Honestly, if Southern California could split off that'd be great.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Brown got some groundwater regulations going this year for the first time ever, no?

Yes, it's a massive comprehensive new regulation structure but takes a while to come into full effect.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Well, if you think in geologic time, it is (at least, the Western half of it is).

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

e_angst posted:

Well, if you think in geologic time, it is (at least, the Western half of it is).

Freedom shall come to my desiccated bones!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm not sure why anyone thinks the state will be improved when San Bernardino is adjacent to Berkeley.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 29, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

enraged_camel posted:

I posted this before: the exact same thing has happened in central Turkey back in the 90s, causing tremendous economic damage and resulting in the need to rebuild not just infrastructure, but also large parts of many towns in the region (the buildings had become unstable).

Not like we live in an earthquake prone area or anything. :suicide:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I lived in Southern Oregon for a few years, and I met my share of Jeffersonian supporters. I even met Jeffersonian "militia" members, which was about the time I realized I needed to get the hell out of there.

Not even all So Cal. If we could split off Orange County and the IE, everyone would be much happier.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nuke all California just to be on the safe side.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Nuke Texas instead so there can be a nice point of reference for the east-west divide.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

FRINGE posted:

Nuke Texas instead so there can be a nice point of reference for the east-west divide.

Then where would you get your nukes from? :v:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Nuke all California just to be on the safe side.

I heartily agree. All this Greenie bullshit is stopping us from achieving cheap-as-poo poo power with modern, clean, safe fission power plants all over the coast. It's a drat shame they're closing/have closed(?) the San Onofre plant.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Grand Prize Winner posted:

All this oil/coal/nuke bullshit is stopping us from achieving cheap-as-poo poo power with modern, clean, safe solar power plants all over the coast.

Totally agree. Whats the point to living in a dessicated hellscape if youre not using the sun for energy?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It's a drat shame they're closing/have closed(?) the San Onofre plant.
You mean its a drat shame the thing ended as a criminal racket that was made "legal" by politicking?

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2015/aug/03/counting-customer-costs-san-onofre-closure-95-bill/

quote:

Investigators recently issued search warrants at the offices of San Onofre majority owner Southern California Edison. State regulators were hunting for records on whether the deal was struck in secret. The pact forces customers to pay 70 percent of the costs to shutter the facility following a 2012 radiation leak without a full investigation by state regulators into who was at fault. That $3.3 billion tab is about one third of the $10.4 billion decades-long bill customers must cover because of the shutdown. That works out to about $1,600 per customer meter, spread out over the next decade or two.

But what about the $1 billion that customers have already paid into the $4 billion decommissioning fund? Wasn’t that supposed to cover those shutdown costs?

The $3.3 billion customers will pay over 10 years is actually meant to cover the profit Edison and minority owner San Diego Gas & Electric would have made from San Onofre had it remained open.

“So while they’re actually shutting it down and $4 billion is being spent for that, the $3.3 billion is being paid by ratepayers as if San Onofre is producing electricity for the next decade,” said former San Diego City Attorney Mike Aguirre who has sued to get the settlement scrapped.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-consumer-advocate-settlement-20150810-story.html

quote:

A state attorney general's investigation revealed that an Edison executive and the commission's president at the time, Michael Peevey, discussed a settlement of San Onofre closure costs during a meeting at a hotel in Warsaw. The meeting and other communications prompted investigations by the U.S. attorney and the commission itself.

On Aug. 5, CPUC Administrative Law Judge Melanie Darling ruled that Edison representatives engaged in 10 unreported communications with one or more commissioners or their personal advisors. The communications, Darling said, related to the payment of costs related to the January 2012 shutdown of the San Onofre plant.

Como said he objects to Darling's suggestion that it is acceptable for utilities and regulators to meet — and that not all discussions about pending matters have to be reported.

“That leaves holes that you can drive a truck through,” Como said, adding that he believes all meetings and talks need to be reported. The PUC has scheduled a public hearing Wednesday in San Francisco to review the rules governing communication between commission staff and those they regulate.

But rescinding the settlement agreement and reopening the San Onofre case will be a more harrowing undertaking. Billions of dollars are at stake as further investigation could shed more light on who is responsible for the installation of the faulty steam generators.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Dark-Clouds-Hang-Over-47B-San-Onofre-Closure-Settlement--296973421.html

quote:

Additionally, Rendon alleges the previous president of the CPUC, Michael Peevy, may have met secretly with power insiders from Southern California Edison in advance of any public hearings.

CPUC critics say the first secret meeting took place in a Warsaw hotel in Poland and 35 closed-door meetings followed.
40 year old plant fucks up during equipment changes and the citizens continue to pay for ... services not being delivered. Private energy in America.

Back Hack posted:

Then where would you get your nukes from? :v:
Theres got to be plenty of them offshore, and also some buried around Colorado or something. :colbert:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FRINGE posted:

Totally agree. Whats the point to living in a dessicated hellscape if youre not using the sun for energy?

Transcendence was a lovely adaptation of Frankenstein.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sydin posted:

If anything the only interesting bit is the tailend of the graph, if only because it tells me we're marching right towards an even more hilariously disastrous tech/property bubble crash.
Pretty soon, judging by the newspaper reports I'm seeing. Just as in .com 1.0, investors are realizing that the companies they pumped billions into for mindshare aren't actually monetizable. See Twitter, as well as various IPOs that are being cancelled or delayed. A lot of people's paper riches are about to vanish. I just got back from visiting family in Atlanta. One of my sisters-in-law, 50something, has completely paid off their house years ago. I nearly cried. Then I remembered that they were living in an Atlanta suburb.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Not even all So Cal. If we could split off Orange County and the IE, everyone would be much happier.

Ah yes, the IE's well-documented love of Orange County. Like two peas in a pod.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
He means that Orange County and the IE both loving suck

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Speaking of which, the Guardian has started an excellent series on why Kern County is the per-capita police homicide capital of the U.S.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/01/the-county-kern-county-deadliest-police-killings

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

http://ktla.com/2015/12/02/authorities-respond-to-20-victim-shooting-incident-in-san-bernardino-fire-dept/

Mass shooting in San Bernadino. Someone here just got a text that the NG may be deployed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_15340236?source=rss don't forget that usual "rural red-leaning areas take in more money from the state than they give back" deal

lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LeoMarr posted:

http://ktla.com/2015/12/02/authorities-respond-to-20-victim-shooting-incident-in-san-bernardino-fire-dept/

Mass shooting in San Bernadino. Someone here just got a text that the NG may be deployed.

Reports of 12 people killed so far, holy poo poo.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FCKGW posted:

Reports of 12 people killed so far, holy poo poo.

I can't even muster the energy to talk about how it's too soon to talk about gun control any more. This is getting ridiculous.

And still nothing will be done because "look it's just crazy people"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
"They're just three lone wolves, definitely not domestic terrorism, nope. :downs:"

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Is there any more information right now other than location and casualties?

Edit:
Google maps link of the facility
https://goo.gl/maps/PTessYqEtSt

The website for IRC is unreachable, presumably due to and abundance of traffic.

This is the description text that shows up on Google

quote:

Inland Regional Center offers sex education classes for individuals with a developmental disability, but this is not commonplace. Read more about Rachel,

Improper Umlaut fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 2, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Not really, it's just a lot of speculation for now. Check back in a few hours.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
why the gently caress would they target a center for the disabled.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It's a soft target with no security. Also if it's full of special needs people it's not like they're going to be able to fight back or run away.

e: if you think like a terrorist it makes sense. No security, vulnerable targets, minimal risk from victims, and good potential for mass casualties. If you got 3 guys getting together to gun down a bunch of crippled kids and mentally handicapped folks that goes way beyond "mental illness" into "organized terror"

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 2, 2015

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I know, there is absolutely noting controversial about this place. They must be an exceptional level of rear end in a top hat.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
My conservative gun nutty friend that I post his facebook poo poo to in the email thread got caught up in that poo poo. He's OK, but hey, here are the guns you love up and close for your enjoyment!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Big Gubmint' Freeloaders! :freep:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

"They're just three lone wolves, definitely not domestic terrorism, nope. :downs:"

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And still nothing will be done because "look it's just crazy people"

You can't really stop crazy suicidal assholes 100% of the time without locking down society, and even then its a coin toss. I doubt these guys expect to get out of this alive.

It doesn't help that we have this messed up culture that glorifies mass shooters, it's a perverse way of getting guaranteed infamy and recognition. If you're a mentally unhinged loner it's a great way to make sure everyone knows who you are, and how you Did Something Important. If you're part of an extremist group its a great way of getting your message across, garnering knee-jerk reactions from government, and instilling fear far beyond the scope of your actual actions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm a gun owner in favor of much better gun control laws.

That said, I think America's biggest problems (many of which feed into our gun violence problem) is the consistently terrible way we treat people with mental illness, combined with the consistently terrible way that we treat people who live in poverty. The hysteria over mass shootings masks the much larger general gun murder rate, which utterly dwarfs it. We care a lot more (via media) about the ten or twenty random people shot in some shooting spree, than we do the dozens of individuals each individually murdered usually by someone they know, in the more impoverished parts of more or less every city in the country, daily.

As of 2013, the US's gun homicide rate is at 3.55 per 100,000 people per year. Our gun suicide rate is nearly twice that.

Here is a list of all of the countries with higher gun homicide rates per capita:
Honduras
El Salvador
Jamaica
Venezuela
Swaziland
Guatemala
Colombia
Brazil
South Africa
Panama
Mexico
Paraguay
Nicaragua
Costa Rica

source

We're a country awash in guns, and - critically - people in hopeless or desperate situations, mental crises, or both. We've got to deal with all three if we want change. Tightening registration laws, banning "assault weapons," or reducing the legal size of ammunition magazines and clips, will not accomplish that. We've got to do something much more difficult: we need to change our culture of guns, our culture of inadequate privatized health care (especially mental health care), and our culture of marginalizing and dehumanizing the poor.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Perhaps it's also worth mentioning that, based on the CDC's estimate of 30 alcohol-related driving deaths per day in 2013, the national death rate in vehicular alcohol accidents is about 3.5/100,000.

So if we have a problem with gun murders, we have basically an equal problem with drunk drivers.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

It's actually really hard to imagine a time without regular mass shootings. It just seems like a normal thing that happens, given a large enough population, and enough media coverage. :(

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

Perhaps it's also worth mentioning that, based on the CDC's estimate of 30 alcohol-related driving deaths per day in 2013, the national death rate in vehicular alcohol accidents is about 3.5/100,000.

So if we have a problem with gun murders, we have basically an equal problem with drunk drivers.

so bring on the trains! then everybody can be sloshed while they travel without such serious risk

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

zeal posted:

so bring on the trains! then everybody can be sloshed while they travel without such serious risk

I am desperately waiting for my self-driving car for exactly this reason.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Edit:
Google maps link of the facility
https://goo.gl/maps/PTessYqEtSt

The website for IRC is unreachable, presumably due to and abundance of traffic.

This is the description text that shows up on Google

There's a GBS Thread,
Reddit live thread: https://www.reddit.com/live/w0nn1o5hu90y
Police scanner: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/12443

Latest is that there's 3 suspects who are on the loose in the black SUV. According to employees the shooting was in a conference room that was rented out for the day and may be unrelated to what the hospital does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

There's a GBS Thread,
Reddit live thread: https://www.reddit.com/live/w0nn1o5hu90y
I don't hate myself that much.