Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Argh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

After watching it again, it almost looks like everything was working as intended.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stopping like that has got to be enough to give him a concussion. Wonder how fast he was going.

And just how did the guy behind him manage to stop without crashing into him?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Stopping like that has got to be enough to give him a concussion. Wonder how fast he was going.

And just how did the guy behind him manage to stop without crashing into him?

He didn't slide down. Imagine waiting for 15 minutes for your buddy while the wind chills your pissed pants.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

About halfway through the slide I realised I was involuntarily making the same noise as the clamp was.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

gently caress

That

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mostlygray posted:

Des Moines is a nice safe city but Omaha definitely isn't. All the malls have off-duty police officers paroling the theaters due to gang violence. North Omaha is a terrifying place to go to. My in-laws place has been broken into before and they've had cars stolen from their driveway.

http://www.ibtimes.com/omaha-nebraska-most-dangerous-place-america-be-black-1548466

The city is so economically depressed that every single store is "Blank" for Less. My favorite is "Tobacco and Cell Phones 4 Less". There are no jobs and no economic development.

quote:

CORRECTION: The article has been revised to emphasize that the state of Nebraska as a whole has the highest rate of black homicide victimization in the country, not the city of Omaha. The author regrets the error.

lol

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Lurking Haro posted:

He didn't slide down. Imagine waiting for 15 minutes for your buddy while the wind chills your pissed pants.

So did some safety mechanism designed to prevent that from happening fail or what? The parachute makes me think it was a planned-for scenario, but the blood makes me think it wasn't intentional. I'm all for adrenaline pumping activities but I think I'll leave "sliding along a metal cable a couple thousand feet above the ground hanging from nothing but a little metal clip" off my list of things I want to do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never having done that kind of cable crawling myself, I'm assuming that you're not supposed to use a bare carabiner on bare cable like that. Nothing's supposed to raise clouds of rust and throw off flakes of metal as you slide down.

You need a pulley/trolley with a brake. And loving gloves.

Guessing these guys were guerrilla-climbing or that cable isn't maintained/monitored.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

So did some safety mechanism designed to prevent that from happening fail or what? The parachute makes me think it was a planned-for scenario, but the blood makes me think it wasn't intentional. I'm all for adrenaline pumping activities but I think I'll leave "sliding along a metal cable a couple thousand feet above the ground hanging from nothing but a little metal clip" off my list of things I want to do.

The safety mechanism was that you always have a hand in front of the clip, as he was doing for the first bit. He let the clip get loose, probably because it kept pinching his hand (he lost his glove to it), and then this happens.

Since he had a parachute, not sure why he didn't just bail instead of trying to stop it though.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Murphy Brownback posted:

They were seriously underequipped. I'd be wanting heavy climbing gloves designed for braking ropes. Also a pulley and trolley system. And I wouldn't do it in the first loving place. I think the plan was always to jump from the middle of the wire though, that's why they were only on the lovely trays.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Never having done that kind of cable crawling myself, I'm assuming that you're not supposed to use a bare carabiner on bare cable like that.
He had gloves.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
He didn't intend to slide, you can see him trying to slow / stop himself in the first few seconds before giving up.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

So, aside from winning the World Nope Championships, what exactly is happening here? Is he trying to go across slowly and fucks it up? Is he trying to slide and doesn't plan on hitting whatever the gently caress that is in the middle? Was he always going to parachute off?

In short, if everything goes perfectly, what was actually meant to happen?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

baquerd posted:

The safety mechanism was that you always have a hand in front of the clip, as he was doing for the first bit. He let the clip get loose, probably because it kept pinching his hand (he lost his glove to it), and then this happens.

Since he had a parachute, not sure why he didn't just bail instead of trying to stop it though.

How the gently caress do you bail from that when you have to lift your weight off the carabiner and unclip it to do so?

Also

No. No. No no. Nononononononooooo. No.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Semprini posted:

So, aside from winning the World Nope Championships, what exactly is happening here? Is he trying to go across slowly and fucks it up? Is he trying to slide and doesn't plan on hitting whatever the gently caress that is in the middle? Was he always going to parachute off?

Judging from the gear they're wearing I'm going to assume they're BASE jumpers. So they probably want to be near the middle of that cable to jump from, but getting there by way of a controlled descent (hence the gloves and putting the hand in front of the karabiner) rather than loving up and sliding down extremely quickly and slamming into the cable splice. Then when they're there they jump off and parachute to the ground.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

kalstrams posted:

He had gloves.

And then took them off.

Christ when he started sliding I couldn't tell if it was the cable or him screaming.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Met posted:

Every American should watch this video. It's absolutely worth your time to watch the entirety of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

I've watched the entirety of it and the problem is this guy actually caught himself on tape lying:

At 0:27 he says "I will never talk to any police officer under any circumstances"
At 0:29, two seconds later, he talks to a police officer
At 8:44 he talks to a police officer again

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Just chiming in to say that high speed cable clip riding sounds like a lot of fun to me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Semprini posted:

No idea.

Brainamp posted:

And then took them off.
One of them at most since video shows the other one being chewed in.

PRADA SLUT posted:

He didn't intend to slide, you can see him trying to slow / stop himself in the first few seconds before giving up.
You can also see what appears to be his own piss 1:55.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

prahanormal posted:

Just chiming in to say that high speed cable clip riding sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Yeah, but the 'stuck in the middle' bit kind of ruins the fun for me.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

tacodaemon posted:

I've watched the entirety of it and the problem is this guy actually caught himself on tape lying:

At 0:27 he says "I will never talk to any police officer under any circumstances"
At 0:29, two seconds later, he talks to a police officer
At 8:44 he talks to a police officer again

You mean a former police officer?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nitrox posted:

You mean a former police officer?

That agrees with him as well.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lol.

Ok well just move to Des Moines then.

I was more getting at I the fact that I see and interact with people that aren't form here and its very different for them. They're more high strung, they feel a lot less safe, and are often terrified of other people.

Des Moines just doesn't have that high strung vibe to it, so I think a lot less stupid poo poo happens as a result.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Former Miss USA Dumps Tim Tebow Because He Wouldn’t Have Sex With Her

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
*couldn't wait for marriage.

The freude's on both of them.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I can't seem to embed this. It's a clip from a twitch tv stream.

http://oddshot.tv/shot/seriousgaming-201511296440769

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Truly an odd shot.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So far I feel that schadenfreude is upon everyone to click that link.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

kalstrams posted:

It's amazing what people will stream these days.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jippa posted:

It's amazing what people will stream these days.
You'd be amazed how little sense that link bears out of context.

Edit: Are police. :patriot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfyYs5Dsb-o

cinci zoo sniper has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Nov 29, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

That's good, but it was a lot more hilarious when my brain translated "Tim Tebow" into "Tom Brady."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

That's good, but it was a lot more hilarious when my brain translated "Tim Tebow" into "Tom Brady."

Wow. People are still talking about deflategate?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/Uqwoiox.gifv

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

canyoneer posted:

Wait, what does a man not wanting to have sex have to do with deflating a - :vince:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

canyoneer posted:

:golfclap:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ohhh man Byker Grove flashbacks.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

thespaceinvader posted:

Ohhh man Byker Grove flashbacks.

We are both too loving old.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

kalstrams posted:

Shartenfreude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

That is slavpunk as hell