Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
He could but where would they go? The ones that we still have are because no other countries will take them. Issuing a pardon is one thing when it's a non-violent American citizen but I really really doubt he'd just let them go. Especially because he would have threatened it by now if it were an option for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Necc0 posted:

He could but where would they go? The ones that we still have are because no other countries will take them. Issuing a pardon is one thing when it's a non-violent American citizen but I really really doubt he'd just let them go. Especially because he would have threatened it by now if it were an option for him.
From what I understand Congress has kept a short leash on spending for prisoner transfers and Obama is super pissed about that because it makes it harder for him to close shop there. During his announcement of the authorization he spoke about the concessions they had to make in order to make the NDAA work and how he's consistently disappointed that Congress has chosen to limit the White House in their flexibility of detainee transfer logistics.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah to me that's a pretty good signal that Guantanamo won't be closed by the end of his term.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It depends on if the President has sufficient Executive gently caress You power to just give Guantanamo back to Cuba. Gotta transfer everything then, Congress.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gyges posted:

It depends on if the President has sufficient Executive gently caress You power to just give Guantanamo back to Cuba. Gotta transfer everything then, Congress.

If he had a plan to close it down on his own there's no way he wouldn't have threatened that option by now. Even if he did I sincerely doubt he'd do it during an election year. That'd be one hell of a poison pill for the democrats. Also GITMO17 has had zero volume for the past two days which is really surprising to me. Still a good buy imo if you're willing to wait it out.

Necc0 has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Nov 28, 2015

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
NO on government shutting down december 14th is free money right? They are 90 cents a share right now. Or should I get some cheap YES and grab that quick profit a few days beforehand?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It could swing more, but I doubt it. Its slowly been creeping creeping up since it opened. I should have bought more.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Put in an order for Christie NO in RNOM. My reasoning is he has the most to lose once the market is linked and he's riding a big New Hampshire union endorsement this weekend so his prices are moving in his direction.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

nachos posted:

NO on government shutting down december 14th is free money right? They are 90 cents a share right now. Or should I get some cheap YES and grab that quick profit a few days beforehand?

I bought 25 NO at 90 with the thought that speaker Ryan isn't going to crash the government as his first act. It seems that YES is up to 17 right now and there is a big gap between the 2. Is there something causing this other than a weird fluctuation?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Cruz Yes in Iowa looking pretty overvalued two days before linking takes effect.

My opinion on Iowa is that we won't know who will win until the last minute, if at all. Disosure: picked up 300 Cruz No shares there.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
I agree that 44 cents for him to win there is wildly overpriced. Personally I don't have a horse in that race (yet) because of the state's history of gravitating toward a candidate a week or two beforehand.

Bush YES in RNOM lost 33% of its value today and it doesn't seem to be associated with anything in the news. Probably things evening out before the linking. If you're one of the few people who think he still has a chance you should free up some funds to buy in after the market link on 01 Dec.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What is this market link everyone's referencing?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

bawfuls posted:

What is this market link everyone's referencing?
Several multiple-contract markets are converting to linked markets.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's strange, because the Bush dropout YES just took a downturn. Must have been one player getting out.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

RNOM linking is coming tomorrow and the Yes's collectively add up to 138%. They will always add up to over 100% even after linking because there are so many candidates, real and joke ones (like Palin) and no one can go under 1%. 138% is down a lot from where it was in anticipation of this move, but NO is still collectively undervalued and should broadly yield a safe 10-15% over the next week. Ditto USPREZ which collectively adds up to 161% and is converting on Dec 3

There will be a lot of money sloshing around as all the monthly polling contracts pay out and linking frees up money.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Zeta Taskforce posted:

RNOM linking is coming tomorrow and the Yes's collectively add up to 138%. They will always add up to over 100% even after linking because there are so many candidates, real and joke ones (like Palin) and no one can go under 1%. 138% is down a lot from where it was in anticipation of this move, but NO is still collectively undervalued and should broadly yield a safe 10-15% over the next week. Ditto USPREZ which collectively adds up to 161% and is converting on Dec 3

There will be a lot of money sloshing around as all the monthly polling contracts pay out and linking frees up money.

They can drop below 1% to 'none available' which I consider effectively zero in a high-volume market such as RNOM

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Someone upended the Caitlyn Jenner RNC market last night. Insider or idiot?

Edit: Maybe somebody just got drunk.

platzapS has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Nov 30, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

platzapS posted:

Someone upended the Caitlyn Jenner RNC market last night. Insider or idiot?

Edit: Maybe somebody just got drunk.

lmao props to whoever got lucky and was able to take advantage of these :allears:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Necc0 posted:

They can drop below 1% to 'none available' which I consider effectively zero in a high-volume market such as RNOM

True enough, but when I calculated the 138% and 161% I assigned all these 'none available' the listed last trade amount. Take these out and the Yes will probably be somewhere like 128% and 145% respectively.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just bought 300 shares of Rick Perry YES. Penny stocks own

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
New poll markets!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aliquid posted:

I just bought 300 shares of Rick Perry YES. Penny stocks own

Well, I'm sure someone on the no side is happy that you're stoked about throwing away three bucks.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Anyone know why these two prices are so wildly different?

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/877/Will-Bernie-Sanders-win-the-2016-New-Hampshire-Democratic-presidential-primary#data

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1563/Will-Bernie-Sanders-win-any-Democratic-primaries-or-caucuses#data

I was under the impression that if Bernie can't win NH, he can't win anywhere.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
No matter what happens, we do still have to let Vermont vote.

Edit: 81 cents is a steal even if you do have to wait all the way to March for it to pay off.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

No matter what happens, we do still have to let Vermont vote.

Edit: 81 cents is a steal even if you do have to wait all the way to March for it to pay off.

Sanders could easily drop out before Vermont if he lost every state up to that point.

Not that your point is invalid.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If Sanders is in for South Carolina, there's no way he doesn't wait another 3 days for Super Tuesday before dropping out. And with a two person race, I don't see any reason for him to drop out before South Carolina at the earliest anyway.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
RNom is being linked as we speak :getin:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I loving love this linking on the huge markets like RNOM. I've got $50 in and as long as Mitt Romney isn't the nominee I'm making $200 - $400.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Gah I bought into the TPP market without realizing the close date was March 31st :doh:

Just bailed and fortunately didn't lose that much money. Dumb dumb dumb

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gyges posted:

I loving love this linking on the huge markets like RNOM. I've got $50 in and as long as Mitt Romney isn't the nominee I'm making $200 - $400.

Yeah I got almost all of my arbitration money back so now I'm sitting pretty with over $800 with no clue what to do with it. Debating pulling it out or using it to squeeze out sure bets for a year

ninja: I think I'm gonna send an email to PredictIt and ask for a withdrawal fee waiver since most of this money was placed in before they made any noise about the linked contracts.

Necc0 has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Dec 1, 2015

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

If Sanders is in for South Carolina, there's no way he doesn't wait another 3 days for Super Tuesday before dropping out. And with a two person race, I don't see any reason for him to drop out before South Carolina at the earliest anyway.

If he doesn't win NH he should probably just end his run right then because it's over as a practical matter.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Necc0 posted:

Gah I bought into the TPP market without realizing the close date was March 31st :doh:

Just bailed and fortunately didn't lose that much money. Dumb dumb dumb

Is there a reason that this is a particularly bad bet? I bought 25 shares @ 40 and obviously I'm way down but I intended to just buy and hold. Is there some specific threat to this legislation?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

EngineerSean posted:

Is there a reason that this is a particularly bad bet? I bought 25 shares @ 40 and obviously I'm way down but I intended to just buy and hold. Is there some specific threat to this legislation?

The legislation itself is safe but there's a metric butt-load of review it has to go through before it will come anywhere close to being voted on. The March 31st date is very optimistic when in all likelihood it'll pass sometime in the summer or even be pushed back to Obama's lame-duck session.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

If he doesn't win NH he should probably just end his run right then because it's over as a practical matter.

For all practical purposes its already over and I say that as a small donation Bernie supporter. If his goal is to provide a liberal counterweight to the party and to have a national discussion that otherwise wouldn't happen about income inequality, Wall Street greed, and a corrupt campaign finance system, then he won't end his run until June.

Bernie winning any primaries is free money if you are patient. No matter what happens he's going to win Vermont in a landslide. I grew up in Vermont. Vermonters love Bernie. They are proud that their little state produced someone who is capturing the spotlight. Even my grumpy, old, racist, sexist, gun totting, Hillary hating dad loves Bernie. This is an old poll, but Bernie is tied with Trump and Carson among Vermont REPUBLICANS.

http://www.wcax.com/story/30064232/poll-bernie-sanders-popular-in-vt-even-among-republicans

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Rubio and Cruz poll markets are pushing really hard toward yes despite the lack of any recent polling data. I think the media narrative is driving this more than anything.

Usual disclosure that poll markets are speculative and bad, of course, but I'm already in on these.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Reminder that the 2016 Presidential winner market gets linked Wednesday. The number of people to buy shares against makes the Republican Nomination market look small.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Gyges posted:

Reminder that the 2016 Presidential winner market gets linked Wednesday. The number of people to buy shares against makes the Republican Nomination market look small.
I'm assuming this is another buy NO situation? Because that turned out pretty well for folks in RNOM, myself included.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Peachstapler posted:

I'm assuming this is another buy NO situation? Because that turned out pretty well for folks in RNOM, myself included.

It looks like the opportunity has passed. The collective value of YES is down 29% today.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Gyges posted:

Are you betting "YES" on every candidate, or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Zeta Taskforce posted:

It looks like the opportunity has passed. The collective value of YES is down 29% today.
Oh well. Thanks for the heads up.

railroad terror posted:

Are you betting "YES" on every candidate, or something else?
They bought NO on Romney before the market was linked.

• Locked thread