Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Urit posted:

You will be forced to pay fines when you die - it'll be part of your respawn cost.

Mostly wrong. If you have fines at the station you're respawning at, it'll be added to your respawn fee, but it's not like every global fine you have is added up and slapped in there.

Going to a system where you have no fines, buying a Sidewinder, and self-destructing is the fastest way to clear your existing fines and convert all bounties to dormant bounties. Doing the first two steps and getting someone to KWS you before shooting you to death will wipe everything, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
e:fb

Jack Trades posted:

I wonder if it's worth it to not pay smuggling fines, considering that I'm flying a Cobra, which is not that expensive to buy.
I haven't died once yet, so I have no idea how death work in Elite but I was thinking that maybe skipping the fines would save me more money than enough money to re-buy the same ship after an eventual death to some bounty hunter.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to dock without getting your cargo scanned? No matter how fast I try to dock, and if I do it manually or via a module, whether I get scanned or not seems to be entirely random.

Part 1: It's not worth it economically to try and avoid the fines. Just pay them or ignore them. It's not until they're bounties a week later that you really need to worry (unless you shot some cops). If they become a problem, jump to another system.

Part 2: git gud.

On a serious note: Play with silent running and heat syncs until you've got an idea of how well they work, play with your approach and how fast you make it because faster = better in terms of trying to avoid being scanned. A docking computer will always be slow.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Been ages since I played an Elite beta, but just to be clear you could just suicide to get back to a station and gently caress around without any consequences on your main game right?
My explorer-anaconda is out in bumfuck nowhere and I'd rather not blow that up just to try moon buggies

e: vv :thumbsup:

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 30, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

Been ages since I played an Elite beta, but just to be clear you could just suicide to get back to a station and gently caress around without any consequences on your main game right?
My explorer-anaconda is out in bumfuck nowhere and I'd rather not blow that up just to try moon buggies

Beta is beta, completely separate. Just blow it up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What are those NPCs that constantly say poo poo like "I've been sent to look for you. Follow me."? How do I interact with them?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Jack Trades posted:

What are those NPCs that constantly say poo poo like "I've been sent to look for you. Follow me."? How do I interact with them?
They drop out of supercruise and you can follow their wake down. They'll then give you some alternate completion criteria for one of your missions that you should probably ignore because it's almost never worthwhile.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
e: loving beaten twice today.

Jack Trades posted:

They're trying to offer you another mission to replace one that you currently have.

"Why don't you go over here and sell it to this guy instead?"

Though the payout is never better. Just ignore them.

If you do want to talk to one of them, wait for them to drop out of super cruise and then lock onto their wake and drop in on it. They'll be there waiting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You'll find them flying around in supercruise for a bit when they say that, but they'll quickly drop out of supercruise and leave a wake, which you're supposed to follow and meet them in real space.

However, most of the time they're just offering you a crappy variation of your current mission. Instead of killing X spacepirates for Y spacebux, its Kill Z spacecops and frequently for less or roughly equal pay, hardly enough to make it worth the extra effort.

The only time they're kind of useful is assassination missions, where they'll sometimes tell you where your target can be found.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

They drop out of supercruise and you can follow their wake down. They'll then give you some alternate completion criteria for one of your missions that you should probably ignore because it's almost never worthwhile.

Anti-pirate missions sometimes have pirates show up to give you alternate missions. If you only need one more ship to complete your missions, this is basically ideal as long as the fucker isn't in an Elite Anaconda and you in an Eagle.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Happens to anyone else? I quit the game 2 hrs ago now I'm back and....

If I hit it it says "Server refused to provide installer: Not available" :psyduck:

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Not always true. I've run into outposts with cops that scan you as you come in. But it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

If there are cops there randomly they will probably scan you - you're right it's not ALWAYS true, but outposts don't have dedicated gate cops like the bigger stations do.

Also, just got the Imperial Courier - my god this thing is a brick tank. I had three ships shooting at me at once and they couldn't even break my last bar of shields. Now I just need to get the hang of landing Railgun shots!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Not always true. I've run into outposts with cops that scan you as you come in. But it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Honestly, every time I've seen it it's not the station that has the cop, it's you-- which is to say, they would have interdicted you, but since you dropped for them they just followed your wake instead. I'm sure I'm going to end up writing a smuggling guide as soon as 1.5 hits for real since I don't have beta access, but the options basically boil down to:

1. Drop into the Outpost area, combat log or quit to the main menu and relog to force-despawn the cop (optimal solution)

2. Highwake out of the system and jump back in, hope the cop doesn't spawn again.

3. Notice you've got a cop on your tail in supercruise, wait for him to interdict you, succeed at the interdiction minigame to make him despawn.

4. Pre 1.5 Frog of War option: Scream at your computer, boost into him, grind him into space dust, revel in the glory of your bounty. gently caress the police. Then supercruise away from the outpost and back in so that they'll let you dock.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, my battle with game's aliasing ended with great success. After trying various options and failing to produce satisfactory result I decided to let Nvidia do the work and used recommended settings from Geforce Experience which decided to ignore ingame scaling in favour of it's own DSR and the result was stunning. It's amazing how much better the stations and cockpit looks without jagged lines everywhere. Just had to force vsync in control panel because ingame option was killing framerate for some reason and everything's perfect.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sekenr posted:

Well, my battle with game's aliasing ended with great success. After trying various options and failing to produce satisfactory result I decided to let Nvidia do the work and used recommended settings from Geforce Experience which decided to ignore ingame scaling in favour of it's own DSR and the result was stunning. It's amazing how much better the stations and cockpit looks without jagged lines everywhere. Just had to force vsync in control panel because ingame option was killing framerate for some reason and everything's perfect.

You were having issues too eh? I'm on a new computer. I have this issue where my video drivers will crash unless I downclock my GPU about -15 and then there is some fps drops during heavy combat. On a i5 6500 3.2 ghz, GTX 970, 16 gigs of RAM. I should run this game flawlessly- but get those crashes unless I downclock. Seems to be a common problem. It's only in Elite: Dangerous as well.

Edit: And it's not overheating.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 30, 2015

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You were having issues too eh? I'm on a new computer. I have this issue where my video drivers will crash unless I downclock my GPU about -15 and then there is some fps drops during heavy combat. On a i5 6500 3.2 ghz, GTX 970, 16 gigs of RAM. I should run this game flawlessly- but get those crashes unless I downclock. Seems to be a common problem. It's only in Elite: Dangerous as well.

Edit: And it's not overheating.

Test your main memory with memtest86+, not the thing that Windows ships with. - http://www.memtest.org/

Seriously, I had some intermittent video card problems, and it turned out that my RAM wasn't as overclock tolerant as it claimed - and that's overclock in terms of manufacturers recommended, rather than loving around with settings.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:woop: WE HAVE PATCH NOTES! :woop:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=204119

NEW CONTENT/FEATURES (Horizons)

- Ships can land on planet surfaces!

Orbital cruise mode added
Sub-orbital flight mode added
Added glide path planetary approach flight model
Added the Planetary Landing module slot
Scanner landing radar added
Adjusted ships that can carry SRVs to have sufficient clearance when landed
Added the ability to dismiss and recall your ship
FA Off for planetary flight model
Added Planetary Approach Suites to all starter load outs
Added Planetary Approach Suite to all ships
Added current gravity strength indicator
Added role switch GUI panel
Can deploy SRV when landed
Can deploy SRV at planetary ports

- SRV Surface Operations

SRV surface driving added
SRV vertical boost added
SRV turret added
SRV surface interactions added
Wave scanner added
Playable Scarab SRV added
Terrain scanner added
Added SRV specific control options
Add pilot animations for SRV

- Planet Rendering

Updated mid-distance planet rendering
Added surface rendering for airless worlds
Added quality settings for surface rendering
Improved planet lighting
Added detail objects for surface

- NPC surface skimmers added

Goliath
Sentry
Guardian
Stinger 2

- Added surface ports

Players can dock at planetary ports
NPC ships use planetary ports
Added planetary ports as mission targets/givers
Added planet surface market specific commodities

- Added surface settlements

Art assets added
Opposition strength variants added
Added air defense turrets
Added ground attack turrets
Surface base components added
Surface base interaction points added
Settlement data link rewards added
Trespass zones added

- Added surface points of interest

Scanner indication added
Wave scanner signals added
Materials POIs added
Encounter POIs added
Natural POIs added
Structure POIs added

- Materials & Synthesis

Added generation of materials
Added synthesis
AFM module resupply
FSD Boost
Ship projectile resupply
SRV hull repair
SRV refuel
SRV ammo refill

Synthesis quality bonuses

- Missions

Add planetary Missions
Make some missions only spawn at planetary ports
Add rare planetary missions
Add off-base planetary missions

- GUI

Nav panel indicate planets that can be landed on
Hook planet map into the 'hyperlinking' we support with galaxy/system map
Provide direct access to the planet map from the cockpit
Added planetary schematic map
System map: Adding planetary resource level in info panel
Indicate if a nav target is on the other side of the planet
Render trespass zone boundaries over the terrain schematics
Show settlement and ports locations on planetary map

- General

NEW: 64 bit client!
Added Horizons specific starter package
Planetary permits added
Added Black Friday paint jobs

NEW FEATURES/CONTENT (1.5)

Added Vive support
Did we mention that we have the 64 bit client now available?!

STABILITY FIXES

CQC: Prevent "Waiting for Players" with a full lobby
Don't try and update the navigation panel when in CQC

GENERAL TWEAKS & FIXES
- Fixed some ASP dirtmap issues
- Fixed a geometry issue on the Anaconda
- Changed the position of camera decal 1 & 3 on the Diamondback
- Fixed Sidewinder landing gear collision issue
- New shadow profile to improve the quality of shadows in asteroid field locations, the main difference being a reduced amount of adaptability to prevent excessive shadow blurring when distant asteroids are in view.
- Fixed repetitive audio glitch after CQC Team Deathmatch
- Closed hole in mesh for the Federal Assault Ship
- If a button is currently using a default binding then show that in the binding’s option screen rather than just appearing blank.
- Added a new size 1 slot to the Sidewinder and Eagle and edited the horizons load out for the sidewinder so that it has two cargo in that slot
- The cockpit canopy can now be repaired by the AFM
- Fixed Russian Stats page texts shows as missing characters throughout
- Fix offset mouse pointer on Station menu, shipyard and insurance screen
- Imperial cutters Mouse Widget is inclined towards one corner fixed
- If a head tracking library fails to load, even though we have a path to it, then make sure it goes into the error state rather than attempting to load the dll every frame
- Fix for distant asteroid billboards partially showing through the asteroid models
- Orca's bobblehead placement adjustments (wobbly bobbles).
- System Map VR: - Added the concept of a Base Scale that scales all GUI, planet miniatures and dolly ranges to make everything pleasantly bigger and further away (as we deal with locked FOVs in VR opposed to orthographic)
- System Map: Add a different global scale to the label manager for VR to make the text larger
- Ensures that the player's pilot gender is represented correctly in the cockpit
- Made the schematics bigger for the construction phases of the Occellus Stations
- Fixed NPCs not becoming Wanted (if appropriate) or turning red when attacking player in a large ship
- Wakes created by ships that the local player knows the names of now display the name of that ship. This should help the mission NPCs that ask you to follow their wake
- Fixed the animation issue with the doors of the vulture
- Fix for 10cr repair bug
- Shields regenerate at a much faster rate while docked
- Fixed Cutter's decal cameras
- Ship dashboard GUI still present when viewing Bobbleheads in Outfitting
- Track CQC gametype when entering matchmaking to prevent entering lobbys of another gametype
- Fixed clipping bobbleheads in the Eagle
- Nav markers now have an 'obscured' visual state when the location is behind a planet/star
- Add a Terrain Material Quality setting to the graphics options menu
- Fixed animation clipping on the nacelle hard point doors
- Fixed sometimes incorrectly showing the generic "failed to join" message rather than the "session is full" message when trying to join a full CQC game
- Made it so that the cockpit module isn't visible in the module panel while playing CQC
- Added specialized VR mesh for the outfitting screen
- Make player ship invulnerable when player's in a buggy (Temporary for Beta 1)
- Missiles are now more effective against shields
- Updated translations
- Fed fighter drive lighting fixed
- Added three stage slider background to FSD boost slider in the galaxy map
- Make sure that heat sinks are affected by gravity when launched
- Increased the hopper ammo amount for the fragmentation cannons from 30 to 90
- Prevent excessive spamming of telemetry from edServer to webServer after a player has followed a jump wake
- Starter package Sidewinders (and bought) now come with low powered gimballed pulse lasers
- Add missing mission assassin chatter
- Imperial Cutter's Mouse Widget is inclined towards one corner
- Resized the Standard bullet impact FX game wide to fix the standard bullet impact from being too large when hitting shields
- You can raise your landing gear while landed via the function panel fixed
- Turn off proximity warnings in super cruise, they feel odd near planets, and aren't that helpful anyway
- Refuel all vehicles in the target ship's launch bay when docking at a market
- For the Beta 2 public test, Beagle 2 Landing in Asellus Primus star system also has all modules and ships available in stock
- Fix occasional transaction server errors for users with very large numbers of friends
- Slightly retuned background sim to give greater daily influence changes for a given amount of player activity
- Various sever performance and reliability improvements
- Add missing hitmen types
- Try to improve the feedback for contact mission types
- Decrease mission respawn time and number of missions at boards
- Increase timed assassination targets spawn rate
- Generally fix target spawning errors
- Added new mission icons
- Add fines to early abandonment where applicable
- Some reputation/influence/state value fixes

Xbox One Changes
- Fix some issues when adding preflight checks to the Xbox controls
- If ship is destroyed while controller is disconnected, handle when the controller is disconnected in CQC as well as normal play
- Make sure the session is full error is displayed if that is the reason for not joining a session
- Don't show disconnection messages if we're in the controller disconnect flow
- Enabled the FOV graphics setting on Xbox to help people compensate against TVs cropping the screen edges off
- Improve network problems diagnostics messaging
- Don't give up on waiting for a voice comms name if the other player is in the unnamedVoiceCommsUsers list and so the name retrieval is still underway

Server Side Changes
- Fix occasional transaction server errors for users with very large numbers of friends
- Slightly retuned background sim to give greater daily influence changes for a given amount of player activity
- Many performance and reliability improvements

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Nav markers now have an 'obscured' visual state when the location is behind a planet/star

oh my god finally

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Frontier on reddit posted:

[–]frontier_support Frontier Support 48 points 2 hours ago

It's definitely going to be today, based on the UTC time zone. That's all I have for you right now.

Feel free to pass the time making puns utilising the word 'hype'.

CMDR Sticks
Currently its:
6:45 PM
Monday, November 30, 2015
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)

hype.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

quote:

- Starter package Sidewinders (and bought) now come with low powered gimballed pulse lasers
So these exist again, presumably because they are adding crafting.

quote:

Weapon buffs!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

- The cockpit canopy can now be repaired by the AFM

- Make player ship invulnerable when player's in a buggy (Temporary for Beta 1)

- For the Beta 2 public test, Beagle 2 Landing in Asellus Primus star system also has all modules and ships available in stock

oh poo poo

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

quote:

:getin:

Lately I've been equipping small missile racks on my anaconda, in order to pop small ships extra fast (and there's something really satisfying about using them), so I'm happy they'll do something against shields too now.

But they need to up the ammo count for missile racks and rail guns. At least keeping the rail gun ammo low seems like it could be an understandable balancing choice, but missile racks should definitely get more.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I've noticed a distinct lack of "give money for rep" missions recently but it might be my garbo luck

Yeah, i don't think I've seen one of those in a while either.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 30, 2015

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Thronde posted:

Went to Robigo, couldn't get anything but some donation missions. So, no, you can't always get missions there at penniless. I asked in mumble and was told a few trade ranks are recommended before running Robigo.

This is from a page or two back, but I had the opposite experience. Flew out at penniless, and the next time I went back to Robigo I had merchant from that one run, and was able to make several times the payout. Just had to mission scum for a bit longer to get stuff at penniless. Ymmv though.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Newbie Tadpole Chat:

So... why do my mission payouts suck so much? Do I have to grind some low level lovely payout (a few thousand) missions before I rank up in Trader/Explorer/Faction rank before I can get higher paying ones? I've rarely found 50k-ish paying smuggling jobs which was nice, but everything else is such a pain in the rear end for crap pay. If I have to grind rank, it is a universal thing, not a faction specific thing right? Like if I fly off to another system miles away I don't restart from zero (because the quest giver name is different)? Also, how can I tell which systems will populate good missions? I flew away from the newbie bubble and am at LHS 3564 right now.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:frogsiren: Launcher update is here! :frogsiren:

*launcher may currently be giving server overload error messages

**beta only

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Please note: you might have to download the launcher directly from Frontier, I'm not sure of the 2.0 beta will show up on the Steam launcher -- (the 1.5 one does though)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Xtanstic posted:

Newbie Tadpole Chat:

So... why do my mission payouts suck so much? Do I have to grind some low level lovely payout (a few thousand) missions before I rank up in Trader/Explorer/Faction rank before I can get higher paying ones? I've rarely found 50k-ish paying smuggling jobs which was nice, but everything else is such a pain in the rear end for crap pay. If I have to grind rank, it is a universal thing, not a faction specific thing right? Like if I fly off to another system miles away I don't restart from zero (because the quest giver name is different)? Also, how can I tell which systems will populate good missions? I flew away from the newbie bubble and am at LHS 3564 right now.
Frontier just really likes everything to be a grind. If you ignore missions, you can get full payouts immediately with no rank/rep gating from hunting bounties, trading large amounts of normal commodities or exploring stuff and selling the data. If you want to do missions then yeah, all of the good stuff is gated behind rank/rep. As you're starting out, generally the only worthwhile missions are smuggling missions and really all you're aiming to do with those is get enough cash to decently fit out an Eagle (if you want to shoot people for money) or a Hauler (if you want to move cargo around).

If I were starting again with how the game is currently I think I'd do smuggling missions until I could afford a Hauler with some cargo space, spend enough time moving cargo around (use http://eddb.io to find trade routes) to fit it out with an A class FSD and then start on the rare trade goods circuit (see this post on Reddit for a good starting point for the rare goods). Once you've got a decent cashflow going (and you should have gained quite a bit of trading rank by this point as a bonus) you can kit out an Eagle/Viper/Cobra (depending on how much cash you have) and try your hand at some bounty hunting instead.

Or of course you could just head over to goonspace and tag along with some of the vets while we murder stuff in a resource extraction site and you share the profits :getin:

Incidentally, the Horizons Beta has launched and the servers are getting slammed :v:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Xtanstic posted:

So... why do my mission payouts suck so much?

Partially your low ranks, partially :frontear:

Xtanstic posted:

Do I have to grind some low level lovely payout (a few thousand) missions before I rank up in Trader/Explorer/Faction rank before I can get higher paying ones?

Yes (ish): Trader requires "profits from trading" which includes trade mission turn-ins, combat requires "kills * difficulty of the kills", and exploration is...exploration. Taking combat and courier missions do not give you combat/exploration rank from turning them in.

Xtanstic posted:

If I have to grind rank, it is a universal thing, not a faction specific thing right? Like if I fly off to another system miles away I don't restart from zero (because the quest giver name is different)?

It's a combination. Missions do have an "Unfriendly/Friendly/Allied" requirement on them, you can rank up to Allied with any given faction with like 5-10 missions for them, generally speaking. That said, they all will also have a Trade/Explorer/Combat rank on them as well, which takes significantly longer to get up; however, that ranking is global and never goes down.

Xtanstic posted:

Also, how can I tell which systems will populate good missions?

Short version, you can't. Long version, if you ask around you'll occasionally get a hot tip on a sweet spot to go for, say, easily-stacked combat missions or long-range hauling missions with better payouts.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone want a combat money printer?

Go to Kui 11, stack up 50 pirate-hunting missions in LFT 269, then go there and hang out at the compromised nav beacon for an hour. :unsmigghh:

But remember not to bring any cargo with you, unless you like fighting 20 NPCs at once.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

quote:

- Wakes created by ships that the local player knows the names of now display the name of that ship. This should help the mission NPCs that ask you to follow their wake

Finally!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Please note: you might have to download the launcher directly from Frontier, I'm not sure of the 2.0 beta will show up on the Steam launcher -- (the 1.5 one does though)

Edit:

Nevermind, I should learn to read.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Nice to see some missile love.

I would have appreciated magazine and chambered load sizes being buffed to match their respective models much more though.

The class 2 seeker pod has 17 missiles in a pod. 1 less than you can hold total but it makes no sense to be able to only launch 6 of those 17 missiles individually before the pod has to "reload" itself.

I'd also like to see some class 3 pods someday.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Confirmed. My Steam launcher had 1.5 32-bit and 1.5 64-bit but no Horizons. Downloading the standalone launcher made Horizons appear.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

More newbie questions:

So I think I've got the basics of the game down. I now have a Cobra with mostly C-Rank stuff on it, doing smuggling/freight missions and exploration stuff.
If that's the kind of things I want to do, what should my next short-term goal be?
As in. What kind of ship should I aim for next? What would my next step be in terms of making money from exploration and smuggling?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rah! posted:

Anyone want a combat money printer?

Go to Kui 11, stack up 50 pirate-hunting missions in LFT 269, then go there and hang out at the compromised nav beacon for an hour. :unsmigghh:

But remember not to bring any cargo with you, unless you like fighting 20 NPCs at once.

Is there something special about Kui 11 that helps to stack up the missions? I just ask cause I've found a system closer to 'home' with a compromised nav point but good god is it tedious to stack up missions. The procedure is just bulletin board -> swap to open/solo mode, bb, repeat, right?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

This dude is streaming Horizons.
http://www.twitch.tv/blackmazetv

Also DOWNLOAD FAST LAUNCHER :argh:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jack Trades posted:

More newbie questions:

So I think I've got the basics of the game down. I now have a Cobra with mostly C-Rank stuff on it, doing smuggling/freight missions and exploration stuff.
If that's the kind of things I want to do, what should my next short-term goal be?
As in. What kind of ship should I aim for next? What would my next step be in terms of making money from exploration and smuggling?

You're like a perfect first victim for this new ship guide.

As for "next steps", it's basically "the same as you've been doing but more of it".

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

If I have to grind rank, it is a universal thing, not a faction specific thing right? Like if I fly off to another system miles away I don't restart from zero (because the quest giver name is different)?

First off, there's three 'types' of factions: Major Factions (Alliance, Empire, Federation), Galactic Powers (Space Khaleesi, the Federation President, Bitchtits Torval, Li Yu Whats His Face), and minor factions (LHS 6749 Democrats, whatever).

Besides these, there's the Pilot Federation - they're the ones keeping tabs on your scouting/combat/trading/CQC rankings.

Pilot's Federation rankings are universal. They're literally measured simply by how much money you've made with that particular activity. In-game, the P-Fed pretty much uses them as a measurement of your experience, and upkeeps a human-space-wide reputation network - NPCs will use these as a yardstick of your experience on whether or not they'll make a mission available to you).

Galactic Powers have missions, salaries and reputation rewards in the form of access to unique equipment (such as multi-shot swarm seeker missiles, more powerful shield generators, and experimental weapons), but should be ignored at this point. The system is fiddly and too grindy to really be worth it, unless you feel the desire for a week or two of nonstop grinding in order to cash in a couple of millions a day for a salary.

Minor Factions are the NPCs offering you missions on stations. Each Minor Faction has a simple 'standing' marker to you - hostile/unfriendly/neutral/friendly/allied. People who don't like you are marked on your radar as red and may even attack you on sight if you've pissed them off enough, while people you're friendly with are marked as green on your radar. A good standing with a minor faction unlocks some missions from them on the bulleting board and gives you a slight reduction in ship hull/outfit costs in stations controlled by that faction. Performing missions for a certain minor faction will, in time, increase your standing with them. Technically this reputation is universal, but you tend to only see ships belonging to a faction in a system that actually belongs to them, unless Shenanigans are ongoing.

Major Factions are the three main factions. These guys will sell you certain ship hulls unavailable to other factions. Ranking up with them is a bit more involved - basically certain minor factions are aligned with one of these major factions. Performing missions for minor factions aligned with a given major faction will increase your reputation with said major faction, until they'll start offering you promotion missions. Complete the promotion mission and you get promoted with that major faction. There's no indication of your current progress between ranks or anything so you just have to perform missions and hope nothing's broken this patch cycle. You CAN be ranked up with multiple factions at the same time - currently I'm a Federal Ensign AND an Imperial Count. This, too, is universal, though you can't really see another player's faction rank.

Major factions also have the same hostile/unfriendly/neutral/friendly/allied scale as minor factions, and this is universal. Piss off the Federation as a whole enough and you'll become a persona non grata in Federal systems.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Arrath posted:

Is there something special about Kui 11 that helps to stack up the missions? I just ask cause I've found a system closer to 'home' with a compromised nav point but good god is it tedious to stack up missions. The procedure is just bulletin board -> swap to open/solo mode, bb, repeat, right?

Kui 11 seems to be in a sweet spot in terms of distance from LFT 269, so most of the missions that show up on a bulletin board in Kui 11 will send you to LFT 269. So you often get multiple missions of the same kind, to the same place, everytime you refresh the bulletin board. There are other system pairs like that, but this is the best one I've found so far. And of course you always get more missions if you're friendly or allied with a faction, and having a higher combat rank helps too.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Something about the system map of Atlantis crashes my computer completely. Both my screens turn white and my sound starts glitching out. Makes me scared to open it in other systems, even though it only happens there. Weird!

Also I got this during the steam sale, and I'm up to a decently outfitted razorback explorer, which I been using for bounty hunting/smuggling/trade missions. Pretty fun. I had a multijump slave smuggle mission for 150k but I or interdicted and murdered in the last system. Insurance was 125k. Not worth it. I kind of want to go for an asp next, would that fit the play style of bounty/smuggling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Wow, the Cobra MKIV was a disappointment. No internals upgrades to speak of, essentially a heavier MKIII with shorter legs and an extra small laser. :saddowns:

E: eeew, it's so slow! ~330 m/s boost

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 30, 2015

• Locked thread