Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Robin is two years younger than the character of Batman. Captain America is twenty years older than the Avengers, and the difference is so huge that the reappearance of the character in the Avengers is like metafiction.
The difference between Batman stories without Robin and Batman stories with Robin is also pretty huge, no matter how short the time frame between them. Hell, the difference between Batman stories without Robin and other Batman stories without Robin can be vast as well.

Comics are very much metafiction. That's what makes them fun. At this point there have been more stories about Captain America being with the Avengers than there have been stories about him in his WWII days. If you think of Captain America and envision him being unconnected to the Avengers at all, well, I don't know what character you're thinking of but it's not the one who's been appearing in print and screen.

Other than this, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bugblatter posted:

In GonSmithe's college professor analogy, Bifford was told he would have received a C on his essay. But then he was told he failed? In what world is a C a failing grade?
In college-level writing, a C means "failed with meritorious effort". It's for papers that were readable and coherent but miss the point of the assignment, don't offer enough analysis to support the argument, or don't indicate much original thought on the writer's part.

That sums up what happened here.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

The difference between Batman stories without Robin and Batman stories with Robin is also pretty huge, no matter how short the time frame between them. Hell, the difference between Batman stories without Robin and other Batman stories without Robin can be vast as well.

Comics are very much metafiction. That's what makes them fun. At this point there have been more stories about Captain America being with the Avengers than there have been stories about him in his WWII days. If you think of Captain America and envision him being unconnected to the Avengers at all, well, I don't know what character you're thinking of but it's not the one who's been appearing in print and screen.

Other than this, I suppose.

So, aside from the times when he did have stories without the Avengers, like, the 20 years preceding the Avengers, he's never had stories without the Avengers.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
:siren:SNEAK PEAK:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6as8ahAr1Uc

Well, at least we'll get a longer trailer on Wednesday.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
A nightmare/hallucination scene seems like a weird thing to release out of context, but hey, I don't work in WB's marketing department.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I hope Batman tries to headbutt him next.

Snowman_McK posted:

So, aside from the times when he did have stories without the Avengers, like, the 20 years preceding the Avengers, he's never had stories without the Avengers.
This is an accurate statement that has virtually nothing to do with my point, yes. I'm just gonna go ahead and maintain that Captain America is way more connected to the Avengers than Abbott and Costello is to Frankenstein, and the wave of Marvel shared universe films that started with Iron Man were made with the expressed intent to connect to each other in ways that the other stated franchises weren't.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 1, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Equeen posted:

Batman v. Superman: Dawn Of Slashfiction.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ImpAtom posted:

Batman v. Superman: Dawn Of Slashfiction.

I can already see the mountains of fan art and fanfic already...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

A nightmare/hallucination scene seems like a weird thing to release out of context, but hey, I don't work in WB's marketing department.

It's more memorable than another teaser of a hero punching anonymous goons or a big monster emerging.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Snowman_McK posted:

It's more memorable than another teaser of a hero punching anonymous goons or a big monster emerging.

Yep. I don't give a gently caress if it is a dream sequence or whatever, it looks cool and a little different for what is now very well-worn comic book movie territory.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I love that Superman just slams into the ground when he lands, keeping that effect from Man of Steel.

Equeen posted:

I can already see the mountains of fan art and fanfic already...

Between this and Civil War, it's like a cinematic gay super-orgy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

I love that Superman just slams into the ground when he lands, keeping that effect from Man of Steel.

Between this and Civil War, it's like a cinematic gay super-orgy.

Well now at least we know Batman secretly wants to be a bottom.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Said it in the BSS thread already, but the BSS thread is terrible, so I'm gonna reiterate it here: I really like it! It's an attention-getter, that's for sure. Wish they could let Cavill do things in the trailers other than make sad or mad faces.

Affleck looks really impressive as well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

TDKR was a self contained reboot

objectively incorrect. it's a send-off for pre-crisis batman, Year One is the reboot

unless you mean the dark kngiht rises for some reason which makes no sense

DKR is only a reboot in the sense that dc is idiots and keeps insisting there be sequels to this final story

Black Bones posted:

Which Suicide Squad members are immortal? I don't know any of them other than Harley and Croc

literally just deadshot and that was because ostrander liked writing him

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Swillkitsch posted:

Said it in the BSS thread already, but the BSS thread is terrible, so I'm gonna reiterate it here: I really like it! It's an attention-getter, that's for sure. Wish they could let Cavill do things in the trailers other than make sad or mad faces.

Affleck looks really impressive as well.

There'll be a full trailer in a couple of days, so hopefully we'll see more of Cavill and Gadot.

And, yeah, the BSS movie thread sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

unless you mean the dark kngiht rises for some reason which makes no sense

The Dark Knight Rises ends with a new Batman taking up the mantle for the first time. It's not a reboot but it completely ends with a "it could be restarted from here" kind of way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

The Dark Knight Rises ends with a new Batman taking up the mantle for the first time. It's not a reboot but it completely ends with a "it could be restarted from here" kind of way.

i mean that makes more sense but also isn't a reboot

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I like how the biggest plot twist regarding that new scene would be if actually occurs in the movie. From the very start it seemed beyond obvious that that was all dream sequence stuff or whatever, but I think the trailers have been full of misdirection in general.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Martman posted:

I like how the biggest plot twist regarding that new scene would be if actually occurs in the movie. From the very start it seemed beyond obvious that that was all dream sequence stuff or whatever, but I think the trailers have been full of misdirection in general.

If the reactions of my non comic reading family is any indication -they were intrigued about the how and why Superman had Batman chained-, being intentionally misdirecting is a reasonable tactic to build interest.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Equeen posted:

I don't mean to play favorites, but gently caress I can't deny the work of Snyder/Fong. The visual aesthetic of that short clip alone trumps everything I saw in the Civil War trailer.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If the reactions of my non comic reading family is any indication -they were intrigued about the how and why Superman had Batman chained-, being intentionally misdirecting is a reasonable tactic to build interest.
Oh sure, I'm fine with it on that level. But Snyder also likes to misdirect nerds in particular, so with this stuff it can get hard to tell which part is misdirection.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teagone posted:

I don't mean to play favorites, but gently caress I can't deny the work of Snyder/Fong. The visual aesthetic of that short clip alone trumps everything I saw in the Civil War trailer.

If BvS doesn't feature a single dull gray parking garage or field of flat rooftops I will only be too happy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I really hope it's not a dream sequence because the idea of Batman dressing up in custom situational outfits for different types of missions he goes on is quite vitalizing to me. We're, like, three or four degrees from Batman in a spacesuit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jesus Christ I just watched that teaser trailer and holy gently caress it's so beautiful. :allears:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 1, 2015

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I really hope it's not a dream sequence because the idea of Batman dressing up in custom situational outfits for different types of missions he goes on is quite vitalizing to me. We're, like, three or four degrees from Batman in a spacesuit.

Have you seen Batman toys? There are Batsuits for everything. Underwater, desert, helicopter, space etc. There was even a suit for hacking computers.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Have you seen Batman toys? There are Batsuits for everything. Underwater, desert, helicopter, space etc. There was even a suit for hacking computers.

Batman toys are gloriously loving stupid. I'm pretty sure they hit peak stupid right after Batman Returns.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

teagone posted:

I don't know what you are talking about.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man of steel seemed like it was what nerds wanted but they all hated it :shrug:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Uncle Wemus posted:

Man of steel seemed like it was what nerds wanted but they all hated it :shrug:

When i saw superman returns my reaction was "God that was boring, nothing happened, superman didn't even punch anyone what a load of poo poo."

When I saw man of steel my reaction was "Ughh too much cgi and punching, not enough characterization"

I know i'm an idiot, but at least I can acknowledge it, that's a good thing right?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Nerds want art, because they are human. But they are nerds, so they don't understand it.

Luckily most nerds have about thirty years to come to their senses before the embrace of death, and popculture almost always comes around on stuff. I predict a sudden wave of people who get Man of Steel in a few years and it's gonna be sweet.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

I predict a sudden wave of people who get Man of Steel in a few years and it's gonna be sweet.
This might happen at the exact moment that everyone simultaneously gets bored of Robert Downey Jr. making sarcastic quips.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I mean I know how dumb it is to say 'people will love this in ten years and I'm just ahead of the curb I KNOW IT' but I genuinely think it's one of those movies people will remember more fondly once we turn a corner in popculture.

You've all probably noticed that a good deal of criticism of vs superman and so on has been coming from folks who see a divide between marvel and dc and are directly comparing them. Since Marvel is the big dominant movie franchise, being different from it looks like a failure to be a good franchise right now - hence all the weird articles that are totally obsessed with how DC is 'doing a cinematic universe wrong' and other complaints that seem totally unrelated to the fact they aren't even out yet.

The instant people lose interest in marvel, the current yardstick for how you're supposed to make big movies, perspectives on a ton of other films will shift along with it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kush posted:

I do like that they diced the hell out of that running clip because what on Earth was that doing in the teaser?

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.

for those people wondering. I was actually hoping to see more of the running in the released trailer-- it looks so bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sense and Motion posted:

for those people wondering. I was actually hoping to see more of the running in the released trailer-- it looks so bad.

Like I get the idea, that they're a well oiled machine in lockstep, Captain America is a team member rather than a leader, but there's got to be a more interesting way to show that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kush posted:

The monitor I'm on is kind of dark so I just saw Batman doing the V8 symbol from Mad Max instead of the chains. :v:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I want to know who those goons chained up with Bats are.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Two thieves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really don't expect a big change on Superman. It was relatively well regarded outside of a specific kind of comic fan or comic would-be fan.

The biggest change I could see is BvS recontextualizing stuff that people disliked. It's already proven to be a film at least partially about the fact that Superman failed to save every life and how BvS deals with that will make people change how they look on MoS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Other dissidents of Superman's reign. I assume it's a nightmare sequence from Batman's point of view where he views himself like a Christ-like figure trying to end Superman's evil rule, so he's being hung up and persecuted with two lowly criminals. It's like poetry, it rhymes with the first movie. In MOS, Superman was Christ without realizing it. In BvsS, Batman believes he is Christ. I'm sure this will all will also tie into the current conservative movement in US politics.

Damnit!

• Locked thread