Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Sophie, Asriel, Ursa

What? You people think I'm NOT gonna vote for my character? But that was some righteous loving dunking of the Chimera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Supremezero posted:

... really.

Really?

There's a reason I'm studying programming and not puzzle-making or writing. :v:

(I will note that I am not responsible for events that will transpire soon, the idea was initially suggested by alcharagia in the EO megathread and fleshed out by a friend of mine)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

(I will note that I am not responsible for events that will transpire soon, the idea was initially suggested by alcharagia in the EO megathread and fleshed out by a friend of mine)

My vice grip on the Alchemist market extends even to magical situations.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Freyja, Milly, and Colette

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:eyepop: I managed to finish the Chimera off on my first try of Classic mode, but that was something else entirely! Should've used my force breaks sooner, I guess, because I definitely didn't finish in single-digit turns...Granted, I'm pretty sure I went L/B, T/A/M, so it was a lot more balanced than... dunk-worthy. Looking forwards to seeing how the classes outside of Story mode work!

As for votes, let's use the ones that haven't had a spotlight yet. Colette, Milly, and Enatre

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Colette, Milly, Asriel

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Maybe let the bear back in? It's cold out there.

Ursa, Milly, Rheine

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Milly, Colette, Enatre.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SystemLogoff posted:

Maybe let the bear back in? It's cold out there.

Ursa, Milly, Rheine

Ursa can just hibernate, she'll be fine.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yeah, let's give the unused characters a shot

Milly, Colette, and Ragnar's choice

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

TVIR ZR CBJRE
Enatre: -C- Ersreerq gb nf n svther bs yrtraq, erirerq ol znal sbe uvf inybebhf nqiragherf, srnerq ol gur qnfgneqyl naq gur jvpxrq, Enatre vf...jryy, abg jung lbh'q rkcrpg. Arvgure zbqrfg abe obnfgshy, arvgure pbjneqyl abe pbhentrbhf, Enatre'f nqiragherf ner orfg qrfpevorq ol svefg-unaq jvgarffrf -A- nf "nppvqragny". Gnyrf bs uvf urebvpf bsgra sbyybj n cnggrea: ur nccrnef frrzvatyl bhg bs abjurer, fnirf gur qnl jvgubhg fb zhpu nf npxabjyrqtvat jub ur'f svtugvat be fnivat, naq qvfnccrnef jvgubhg n genpr. Gehgushyyl, vg vf abg orpnhfr ur cersref gb jbex -E- guvf jnl. Engure, uvf qvfgnag qrzrnabe vf qhr gb uvz orvat ybfg va uvf bja gubhtugf naq qvfgenpgvbaf nyzbfg nyy bs gur gvzr. Ur vf hfhnyyl fb cerbpphcvrq ba fbzr bgure gubhtug gung vg vf bsgra qvssvphyg gb trg uvz gb erfcbaq gb lbh. Tbbq yhpx gelvat gb gnyx gb uvz. Vg vf fnvq gung haqre rkgerzr pvephzfgnaprf, -S- Enatre jvyy unir uvf zbzragf bs pynevgl naq enj rzbgvba. Vg vf nyfb fnvq gung gurfr pvephzfgnaprf -A- ner rabhtu gb njnxra na njshy cbjre jvguva uvz. Jurgure be abg guvf ehzbe vf gehr, Enatre vf fgvyy n sbepr gb or erpxbarq jvgu--rira -R- vs ur'f hanjner bs vg uvzfrys. AB ZBER -13- TNZRF!

I don't get it. :confused:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't get it. :confused:

ROT13.

Probably should have layered that code through multiple ciphers. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ah, I see.

Milly, Nadia, Enatre

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

ROT13.

Probably should have layered that code through multiple ciphers. :v:

The secret is that it's supposed to be easy to solve! :v:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Enatre
Colette
Nadia

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
No
More
Games

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

theshim posted:

No
More
Games

Don't you mean
AB
ZBER
TNZRF

?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

alcharagia posted:

Yes, and Wiping All Out is Barbaric March. What, not a fan of Persona battle themes?

So does that mean princesses aren't allowed to use Barbaric March grimoires? :v:

Enatre, Phoebe, Colette

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tyty posted:

So does that mean princesses aren't allowed to use Barbaric March grimoires? :v:

What is Arianna if not a cutie girlfriend?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Might as well just post "Enatre's" full profile since ROT13 isn't that secret a cipher (even though it wasn't meant to be that secret in the first place):

Ranger: Referred to as a figure of legend, revered by many for his valorous adventures, feared by the dastardly and the wicked, Ranger is...well, not what you'd expect. Neither modest nor boastful, neither cowardly nor courageous, Ranger's adventures are best described by first-hand witnesses as "accidental." Tales of his heroics often follow a pattern: he appears seemingly out of nowhere, saves the day without so much as acknowledging who he's fighting or saving, and disappears without a trace. Truthfully, it is not because he prefers to work this way. Rather, his distant demeanor is due to him being lost in his own thoughts and distractions almost all of the time. He is usually so preoccupied on some other thought that it is often difficult to get him to respond to you. Good luck trying to talk to him.

It is said that under extreme circumstances, Ranger will have his moments of clarity and raw emotion. It is also said that these circumstances are enough to awaken an awful power within him. Whether or not this rumor is true, Ranger is still a force to be reckoned with--even if he's unaware of it himself.

As I said earlier, the initial idea for how to incorporate a Fafnir was posted by alcharagia in the EO megathread, and then my friend Heavy helped me actually make a character out of it. I would've rather kept him completely secret till the update, but it would've felt kinda weird having a vote where either the last character who got fairly voted in would be disqualified, or explicitly stating that the vote would be for only 4 party members.

Speaking of votes, here are the current results:

quote:

Colette: 8
Milly: 7
Ranger: 6
Nadia: 4
Freyja: 2
Sophie: 2
Ursa: 2

Zack: 1
Asriel: 1
Rheine: 1
Phoebe: 1
Realga:
Stardust:
Jackie:
Tyler:

A 3-way tie for the last slot.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Would you believe that I was like, an inch away from posting "and his name is Walker, Texas Ranger" in that discussion, because that's frankly prescient.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

alcharagia posted:

Would you believe that I was like, an inch away from posting "and his name is Walker, Texas Ranger" in that discussion, because that's frankly prescient.

My friend insisted that Fafnir be named "Tim" instead, but you can't rename Story mode characters and I was not replaying the game all the way to the 4th Stratum even on Picnic. :v:

Ranger's name is, like the rest of my usual EO party member names, derived from a Steam friend of mine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Freyja, Asriel, Colette

Gotta get the less active people some votes too!

edit: This is also quite a ways in but I still don't understand the skill allocation that well. So, you get three points at the beginning and then one for each level right? I don't get how you can do things like give Freyja a Whip Mastery level and then put five points into skills branching off from that.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 1, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RareAcumen posted:

Freyja, Asriel, Colette

edit: This is also quite a ways in but I still don't understand the skill allocation that well. So, you get three points at the beginning and then one for each level right? I don't get how you can do things like give Freyja a Whip Mastery level and then put five points into skills branching off from that.

Mastery Skills automatically give a level to any skills branching off them.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

RareAcumen posted:

Freyja, Asriel, Colette

In addition to what Supremezero just said, yes, you get 3 skill points at level 1 and then 1 for every level after. You can also get additional skill points through Retiring/Training, but we won't be seeing that for quite a while.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Freyja, Asriel, Colette

Skill investment got slightly more forgiving in the Untold games. When you invest in a Mastery skill (this doesn't apply to stuff like the Survivalist's Speed Up skill) any skills that the mastery unlocks will automatically have one point put into them.

So yes, you do start with 3 skill points, but Ragnar investing a point into Whip Mastery automatically put a point into the skills it unlocked at level 1. Presumably this was intended to make skill trees less intimidating to new players, and to encourage trying out skills before you invest in them more.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 1, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He's the Fafnir Knight. You gotta name him Sigurd or Siegfried man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Mastery Skills automatically give a level to any skills branching off them.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Skill investment got slightly more forgiving in the Untold games. When you invest in a Mastery skill (this doesn't apply to stuff like the Survivalist's Speed Up skill) any skills that the mastery unlocks will automatically have one point put into them.

So yes, you do start with 3 skill points, but Ragnar investing a point into Whip Mastery automatically put a point into the skills it unlocked at level 1. Presumably this was intended to make skill trees less intimidating to new players, and to encourage trying out skills before you invest in them more.

Wow, holy gently caress, I wish I had a 3DS and decided to break into Etrian Odyssey with this game instead of EO3, holy poo poo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, holy gently caress, I wish I had a 3DS and decided to break into Etrian Odyssey with this game instead of EO3, holy poo poo.

Mind you, that saves you maybe 5 skill points at most (And even that's being generous.) Some of the skills on a mastery skill branch might be ignored depending on the class, so it's not actually that helpful in most cases. Though it does give you some extra tools to work with.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Mind you, that saves you maybe 5 skill points at most (And even that's being generous.) Some of the skills on a mastery skill branch might be ignored depending on the class, so it's not actually that helpful in most cases. Though it does give you some extra tools to work with.

Yeah, but it helps make the early game easier which is one of the hardest parts of it. So having multiple abilites now seems pretty helpful. Oh wait, I may have misread things, It only puts a single point into those skills at the beginning and not one point for every level right?

Also, yikes that's a serious nerf to boss drops now. Woof. I wonder how you're supposed to make bank now.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, but it helps make the early game easier which is one of the hardest parts of it. So having multiple abilites now seems pretty helpful. Oh wait, I may have misread things, It only puts a single point into those skills at the beginning and not one point for every level right?

Also, yikes that's a serious nerf to boss drops now. Woof. I wonder how you're supposed to make bank now.

Yeah, Masteries only give one level when they unlock something, and that doesn't transfer to skills you unlock with non-mastery skills. Whip Mastery gives 1 level each in Gag, Cuffs, and Shackles, for example, but leveling up each of those skills to level 7 only unlocks Ecstasy; it doesn't put a level in it. After you unlock the basic Whip skills with Whip Mastery, leveling up Whip Mastery does nothing for them aside from give slight increases to their damage.

The "Wanted: Golden Sprout" DLC quest gives an amount that varies based on what stratum you're in (at least I'm pretty sure it's based on stratum). By the time you reach the postgame stratum, it's giving money in the hundred-thousand en range every time you turn it in. Without DLC, ad campaigns at the cafe can actually make some really serious money if you select your foods right.

Rea fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 1, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Alternatively you can hate yourself like me and subject yourself to 5 survivalist gathering runs until your fingers bleed

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
5 Survivalists, more like 5 Beasts. Panda Gathering Army!

It's not actually that bad in later stratums, though. Income gets pretty high from it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I kinda started hating having to do 4+ runs to afford one weapon

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Hivac posted:

Alternatively you can hate yourself like me and subject yourself to 5 survivalist gathering runs until your fingers bleed
ah yes, "gathering" runs

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

theshim posted:

ah yes, "gathering" runs

My survivalist runs are for scraping together money, yours are for scraping together misery

We're both gathering, really

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ursa, Milly and Colette

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Despite having more HP than the final story boss of the old EO2, Chimaera really went down like a chump.

Colette, Milly, Ranger

Spielmeister fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 1, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
And I think I'll call the vote here. Final results:

quote:

Colette: 12
Milly: 10
Ranger: 7
Nadia: 4
Freyja: 3
Ursa: 3
Asriel: 3

Sophie: 2
Zack: 1
Rheine: 1
Phoebe: 1
Realga:
Stardust:
Jackie:
Tyler:

Plus one vote for me, which I choose to allocate to Ursa, giving us a party of:

Colette, Ursa, Ranger, Nadia, and Milly.

I have a bunch of exams and a group project's due date coming up within the next week, so don't expect the update for quite a bit, but there'll probably be a game mechanics post or two in the interim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Game Mechanics: Common Passives

There are quite a few passive skills available to multiple classes in EO2U that give fairly minor but still nice bonuses. The rule of thumb with common passives (and passives in general), however, is to not invest in them early on unless they are a prerequisite for a skill that you want to take. Investing skill points in active skills will pretty much always give much better results than investing in passives. Once you have every active skill that you want out of a class, that's generally a good time to start investing more into passives.

Note that for a bunch of the common passives, there's no definite numeric data available, so you'll have to just make do with a description of what the passives do.

HP Up / TP Up
Available on: All classes

Increases the user's maximum HP or TP by a percentage of their maximum HP or TP before the bonus is applied.

There's a lot of classes that benefit from having more TP, so TP Up is a pretty safe investment in the late game and postgame. HP Up is a bit more situational; most of the front line classes benefit from it, but they'll probably want passives that give damage before HP Up. The only class I can think of that'd want HP Up really soon after they get all their active skills are Beasts, maybe Protectors if you're comboing them with a Survivalist using Scapegoat.

Phys ATK Up / Elem ATK Up
Phys ATK Up available on: Landsknecht, Dark Hunter, Medic, Ronin, Gunner, War Magus, Beast, Highlander, Fafnir
Elem ATK Up available on: Alchemist, Fafnir

Increases the user's Cut/Stab/Bash damage or Fire/Ice/Volt damage. Elem ATK Up does not give a bonus to untyped damage. If the attack used is a composite Physical+Elemental attack, whatever part of the composite type would deal more damage is used, and the appropriate passive is applied.

The ATK Up passives are pretty safe investments once you have all of the skills and non-common passives you want on a damage dealer. For Fafnir, given that he gets access to both, I'd personally prioritize Elem ATK Up.

Also, yes, that's not a typo, Medics get Phys ATK Up.

Phys DEF Up / Elem DEF Up
Phys DEF Up available on: Landsknecht, Protector, Beast, Highlander
Elem DEF Up available on: Protector, Medic, Alchemist

Decreases the amount of Cut/Stab/Bash or Fire/Ice/Volt damage the user takes. Elem DEF Up does not reduce untyped damage.

Beasts greatly benefit from both of these passives; if you can get a high-level Elem DEF Up Grimoire, you'd do very well to put it on a Beast. Aside from that, Phys DEF Up is a decent investment once you have all of a front line damage class's active skills and damage-boosting passives. Elem DEF Up is a shaky investment on Medics and Alchemists; their already high TEC stats give them good enough defense to elemental attacks.

Curb ATK Up
Available on: Survivalist, Dark Hunter, Hexer

Increases the user's chance at inflicting status ailments or binds. The increase is based on a multiplier applied to the base chance.

Curb ATK Up is a good investment on Survivalists and Hexers, and if you're running them without any kind of disabling support, Dark Hunters. A 25% bonus at 10 and 35% at 20 is a pretty considerable increase for most disabling skills.

Curb DEF Up
Available on: Hexer, War Magus, Sovereign

Decreases the chance that the user will be inflicted with status ailments or binds.

Curb DEF Up isn't that great of an investment on Hexers or Sovereigns, but on War Magi and a lot of classes it's not innate to (namely Protectors, Medics, and Beasts), it's a really great passive that can keep your key supports from being disabled at terrible times.

Speed Up
Available on: Survivalist, Troubador

Increases the user's action speed, non-base accuracy, and evasion.

Survivalists need Speed Up to unlock not only a few useful support skills, but Hazy Arrow, their best damage skill, as well. The evasion boost helps when using a Survivalist as a dodge tank with Chain Dance, as well. Troubadors, on the other hand, are already fast enough with higher levels of Song Mastery, and Speed Up only unlocks field skills of dubious use for them.

Take / Chop / Mine
Take available on: Medic, Troubador, Gunner, Sovereign
Chop available on: Dark Hunter, Alchemist, Hexer, War Magus
Mine available on: Landsknecht, Protector, Ronin, Highlander, Fafnir

Gives the user a chance to find extra materials from a particular type of material gathering point. Higher levels increase both the amount of materials the user can find, and the chance of finding uncommon and rare materials.

Don't invest in these. Just make a separate gathering party of Survivalists or Beasts instead.

Natural Instinct
Available on: Survivalist, Beast

Gives the user a chance to find extra materials from all types of material gathering points.

Don't invest in these on your actual combat Survivalist and Beast. Just level it up on your gathering party.

Rea fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 26, 2016

• Locked thread