Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Talmonis posted:

Aren't special forces raids and air strikes the most effective counter-terror methods to date? Seems like this would be rather relevant to the current strategy.

Pretty much, the US Army and Marines are not really equipped nor able to fight a very effective anti-guerrilla campaign, and having a standing army just gives ISIS/AQ targets. Not like we'd want the US Army or Marines tied up in Syria anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

this one's a real bummer

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gravel Gravy posted:

If that's the definition anyone wants to go with then they will find a good lot of boots in unexpected places.

Yes, most people don't realize we have hundreds of bases around the globe. They wouldn't approve if they were able to learn it.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SedanChair posted:

Yes, most people don't realize we have hundreds of bases around the globe. They wouldn't approve if they were able to learn it.

The internet exists for most Americans. Knowing someone in the armed forces makes up for the rest.

Come on buddy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Dude, its not some secret. You're acting like there's huge barriers to figuring out America has troops everywhere. Go to a parade for christ sake.

The isolationist section of America isn't the majority, but does exist I will grant you that. However, the isolationists rarely have led this country is good directions.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Doctor Butts posted:

I loving hate that poo poo.

Like, I don't think its a big deal to kind of dismiss some of the bullshit salon.com, huffingtonpost.com, or whoever has put out there sometimes, but when you can post a few articles on something that all prove the same loving thing and these assholes still dismiss it? gently caress that.

Where the gently caress is the critical thinking that hmmm maybe the source of information that handwaves everything else on the face of the god drat planet as lying maybe maybe isn't being very loving truthful in the first place?

I can't tell you how many times I up and roll my loving eyes at the dumb poo poo I've read on these liberal websites. But you know what? I don't walk away from it still thinking that everyone else is the liar.

I get what you're feeling. It's this whole suspicious mentality that creates in their minds a "us vs them" mentality. Suddenly, despite the fact that Obama hasn't taken away my guns and Syrian Refugee terrorist shiara law hasn't implemented cap-and-trade in America, you just know they will and nothing will change your mind. The Freepers thread is a good containment ground to see how these people act when their in their safe space.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
SedanChair mean mentally able, i.e. not so lazy they never bother learning things.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Enter: Barack Obama, circa 2013:

Scene change: 2015, Obama's words holding steadfa--

It's not boots on ground, it's foot apparel temporarily occupying space on surfaces, Obama told me so!

It looks dumb, but special operations have never been considered "boots on the ground."

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
"Boots on the ground" is a general term for combat troops deployed as a brigade or larger.

Special Ops teams are much, much smaller and have a completely different mission than combat troops. This isn't some closely held military secret.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

It wasn't "nuance" when Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson did it, it was lying. It's lying now. People don't want any troops in the Middle East and Obama and the Pentagon are conspiring to deceive them.

Oh they will absolutely want troops in the ME whenever the next terrorist attack happens.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

, the isolationists rarely have led this country is good directions.

Yeah the imperialists did much better.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah the imperialists did much better.

Washington was a believer in South Park politics on this one

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Unzip and Attack posted:

"Boots on the ground" is a general term for combat troops deployed as a brigade or larger.

Special Ops teams are much, much smaller and have a completely different mission than combat troops. This isn't some closely held military secret.

I dunno maybe any spy found in a country should be treated as a ground invasion by a foreign army. Let's article 5 this poo poo into the ground.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Yeah but... but... DAMMIT. This pisses me off.

LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD WANTS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS poo poo YOU DUNDERFUCKS.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

Plan B and other hormonal contraceptives being abortifacients is the view of many evangelicals.

I know, but they don't limit themselves to just those things.

2014 Texas GOP platform posted:

School Health Care- We urge legislators to prohibit reproductive health care services, including counseling, referrals, and distribution of condoms and contraception through public schools. We support the parents’ right to choose, without penalty, which medications are administered to their minor children. We oppose medical clinics on school property except higher education and health care for students without parental consent.

Link

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/3uzz8n/til_that_in_1965_25_of_all_black_families_in_the/

This kind of poo poo is completely indistinguishable from Stormfront, at this point, except with less use of "friend of the family" and "dindu". I really feel like we're going to reach some sort of critical mass of racism soon; I wasn't alive in the 50s, but the rhetoric seems eerily familiar and scarily prevalent.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Carrier groups: not a significant about of force

Alternatively: paging fade5 to the thread please, fade5 to the thread
:tipshat: As has been noted by others, special forces guys are not "boots on the ground".

Talmonis posted:

Aren't special forces raids and air strikes the most effective counter-terror methods to date? Seems like this would be rather relevant to the current strategy.
Yes they are, hence how the Kurds have manged to beat ISIL's asses in just about every confrontation to date starting with Kobani.

Some examples of recent special forces actions: special forces called down airstrikes on Sinjar from the behind the lines while local Peshmerga forces, Yazidi militia forces, and even a few PKK fighters moved in afterwards. The special forces guys were there to handle airstrikes, not to fight on the front lines like regular Army troops would do.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/12/world/middleeast/isis-iraq-syria.html?_r=0

quote:

The American-led coalition has also provided the pesh merga with a large number of small arms, including machine guns, rifles, mortar tubes and mortar rounds. As the Sinjar offensive has approached, Kurdish officials say, the coalition has been rushing in new supplies of ammunition as well.

An Italian colonel has been leading a multinational effort to train the Kurdish forces at three bases in Iraqi Kurdistan. American, Canadian and other foreign Special Operations forces have also been advising the pesh merga at their defensive positions in the Kurdish region, although officials said they would not be accompanying the Kurdish forces to Sinjar.

Another example was the joint US-Kurdish raid on ISIL's prison in Hawija:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/25/video-released-us-kurdish-rescue-operation-iraq-isis-hawija
We rescued 70 prisoners who had already had a mass grave dug for their execution. One special forces guy (Master Sgt. Joshua Wheeler) was injured during the raid and later died from his injuries. It's sad, but his sacrifice saved the lives of 70 people who would have certainly been executed by ISIL. We finished the raid by blasting the prison out of existence with airstrikes.

Those are the type of special forces actions that Obama is talking about, and so Obama is saying we're going to be doing more stuff like the prison raid.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 1, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Radbot posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/3uzz8n/til_that_in_1965_25_of_all_black_families_in_the/

This kind of poo poo is completely indistinguishable from Stormfront, at this point, except with less use of "friend of the family" and "dindu". I really feel like we're going to reach some sort of critical mass of racism soon; I wasn't alive in the 50s, but the rhetoric seems eerily familiar and scarily prevalent.

Reddit has gotten really really bad over the past few months. Look at any article on refugees and the comment section is just horrific.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Radbot posted:

This was on the front page as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/3v06yg/til_teddy_roosevelt_said_i_wish_very_much_that/

quote:

Really though, we breed dogs for desirable traits. Surely it's possible with people

quote:

Its still accepted science, just not accepted policy.

quote:

Um, it's still accepted science.. It's just kinda hosed up so we aren't allowed to talk about its potential benefits. The world would be a better place.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Reddit has gotten really really bad over the past few months. Look at any article on refugees and the comment section is just horrific.

Was 4chan ever balanced in terms of opinion or was it always a hotbed of racist white angst? I'm simply wondering if that's the fate of all message boards at this point, with a notable counterexample being this one, but we fall into left wing irrelevancy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Jeb communications director Tim Miller asking the tough questions

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should we be expecting a new patriot act this month? Or will the lesser crisis compared to 9/11 allow cooler heads to prevail?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:psyduck: Jesus flying gently caress.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Reddit has been bad for much longer than that.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Reddit has gotten always been really really bad over the past few months

Now it's accurate. Don't act surprised that it's full of that poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

It's actually people, I'm afraid.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

If only there was a solution for such things...

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Wait... what?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

GBS is nearly as bad as Reddit, fwiw.

GBS is just 'ironic'

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Logikv9 posted:

I'm ashamed to admit I've been active on Reddit for five years or so, and I can definitely say it hasn't always been this bad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Phone posting, but can someone reply with that Onion article about that?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

zoux posted:

This is what worries me. When so much of the American public straight up hates muslims and "muslim sympathizers" (Thanks heavily armed Texas lunatic militia!), what are the rest of us supposed to do to stop it? Can it be stopped?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

This is what worries me. When so much of the American public straight up hates muslims and "muslim sympathizers" (Thanks heavily armed Texas lunatic militia!), what are the rest of us supposed to do to stop it? Can it be stopped?

Whatever you do don't read about European history from the period of 1933-1945.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Radbot posted:

I'm ashamed to admit I've been active on Reddit for five years or so, and I can definitely say it hasn't always been this bad.

Yeah, seriously. Something fundamentally changed around the firing of Ellen Pao and the whole rhetoric around that. I think a lot of the more moderate users just got fed up with all the poo poo being pushed to the front page around that time, all the people who flooded the entire site with posts about Ellen Pao, FatPeopleHate and all the "Chimpire" stuff being banned. Those users left and never came back. Also since Pao got canned, a lot of the more vocal shitheads on Reddit felt vindicated because they got what they want and now they feel like they can just run the place and put up any garbage they want.

What I'm saying is that Reddit has always been a garbage fire but ever since the shitstorm earlier this year things have gotten much, much worse.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radbot posted:

The admins tried to ignore the problem and let it take root instead of stomping it out right away. It wasn't until there was a full fledged network of racist subreddits which straight up called itself the "chimpire" with a hundred thousand users that they decided to take action.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

zoux posted:

Whatever you do don't read about European history from the period of 1933-1945.

I'm unfortunately extremely well versed in the subject (I've even met Elie Wiesel!). Thus my serious concern with recent politics.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zombie Samurai posted:

Wait... what?

Checked Drudge Report recently?

(It's not true.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, seriously. Something fundamentally changed around the firing of Ellen Pao and the whole rhetoric around that. I think a lot of the more moderate users just got fed up with all the poo poo being pushed to the front page around that time, all the people who flooded the entire site with posts about Ellen Pao, FatPeopleHate and all the "Chimpire" stuff being banned. Those users left and never came back. Also since Pao got canned, a lot of the more vocal shitheads on Reddit felt vindicated because they got what they want and now they feel like they can just run the place and put up any garbage they want.

What I'm saying is that Reddit has always been a garbage fire but ever since the shitstorm earlier this year things have gotten much, much worse.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

So you're saying Obama is a liar because he sent ground forces to Iraq two years after he said he wouldn't send them to Syria. Does this mean you've accepted the legitimacy of the Islamic State?

I guess if you like your caliphate, you can keep your caliphate.

Delta Force has 10 letters, Death Panel has 10 letters. Both of them supposedly kill conservative religious folks.

:tinfoil:

edit: Oh, and The Revenant looks loving badass and is based off a super badass true story and everyone should go see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Less than a week after 9/11 GWB bent over backwards to tamp down anti-Muslim bigotry, and now we have GOP presidential candidates openly encouraging it.

I'm willing to bet a significant percentage of outright Islamophobes have been stockpiling weapons and ammo since 2008 and are just dying to use them. If ISIS ever manages to pull off an attack over here things are going to get extremely ugly and violent, more so than they already are.

• Locked thread