Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Man, Colombians are super racist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nothing will be as bad as Voat, that's for sure.

Except the pedophilia of course.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, seriously. Something fundamentally changed around the firing of Ellen Pao and the whole rhetoric around that. I think a lot of the more moderate users just got fed up with all the poo poo being pushed to the front page around that time, all the people who flooded the entire site with posts about Ellen Pao, FatPeopleHate and all the "Chimpire" stuff being banned. Those users left and never came back. Also since Pao got canned, a lot of the more vocal shitheads on Reddit felt vindicated because they got what they want and now they feel like they can just run the place and put up any garbage they want.

What I'm saying is that Reddit has always been a garbage fire but ever since the shitstorm earlier this year things have gotten much, much worse.

The head of a bunch of cp subreddits was openly friends with the Reddit admins until fairly recently

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
It also depends what part of reddit you're taking about. As an example, r/Syrian Civil War has been a good, useful place to follow the ins and outs of the Syrian Civil War. After Russia intervened recently in Syria the subreddit has had issues from pro-Russian users brigading the place. (There also tends to be a bias towards whichever group is winning and/or in the news a lot.)

Certain subreddits are better or worse than others, and the default subreddits are generally terrible. (People from r/worldnews tend to invade r/Syrian Civil War after a big news event, and it make the place much more unreadable.)

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 1, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Shifty Pony posted:

The admins tried to ignore the problem and let it take root instead of stomping it out right away. It wasn't until there was a full fledged network of racist subreddits which straight up called itself the "chimpire" with a hundred thousand users that they decided to take action.

Community moderators are always reluctant to put on their stomping boots and really go to town.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys acting like we don't have forums for anime, insane racist soldiers and gun nuts.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

So is this a gotcha question or the kind of question the Republicans want asked at the next debate?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fade5 posted:

It depends what part of reddit you're taking about. As an example, r/Syrian Civil War has been a good, useful place to follow the ins and outs of the Syrian Civil War. After Russia intervened recently in Syria the subreddit has had issues from pro-Russian users brigading the place. (There also tends to be a bias towards whichever group is winning and/or in the news a lot.)

Yeah I think that's what's mainly changed. There's been a lot of bleed over into mainstream and other subs now. TIL is a perfect example where racists posts stuff like "TIL black people are bad" and all the other racists up vote it to the top. It happens in TIL, ELi5 and other "meta" subreddits where there are self posts or people making racist or mysogonystic comments posed as questions or facts.

I highly recommend Sarah Jeong's book "The Internet Of Garbage" which talks about a lot of the problems Reddit and other online communities have. She also lurks the forums and had a line about SA in the book.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Radbot posted:

I'm ashamed to admit I've been active on Reddit for five years or so, and I can definitely say it hasn't always been this bad.

Maybe not as bad, but bad. Reddit always had that awful population of awful people, for the large part holed-up in their fringe subreddits. That stuff constantly leaked out into the more mainstream subreddits and plenty of redditors found themselves unironically agreeing with racially charged posts.

I don't think Reddit started off bad or just became awful suddenly, but it's been going downhill at a constant pace ever since it was created. It's just the nature of the site. Remember that the website was the fostering ground for the "brogressive"-types (pretend I linked to the SA post about it here).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

zoux posted:

You guys acting like we don't have forums for anime, insane racist soldiers and gun nuts.

You're kind of kidding yourself if you think ADTRW and GIP are that level of bad. Yeah, you have idiots permeating them, but you generally don't get Reddit level poo poo without it being stamped out.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

You're kind of kidding yourself if you think ADTRW and GIP are that level of bad. Yeah, you have idiots permeating them, but you generally don't get Reddit level poo poo without it being stamped out.

GIP is absolutely as bad, and GBS isn't much better.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

this_is_hard posted:

GIP is absolutely as bad, and GBS isn't much better.

To be fair, GiP kinda transcends irony and places it on a whole new pedestal. It's hard to say what's real down there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I guess they are required to cloak their racism with dog whistle terms, irony and the posting equivalents of knowing looks, but I dunno if that's a huge improvement. Reddit has funny pictures and memes though.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, seriously. Something fundamentally changed around the firing of Ellen Pao and the whole rhetoric around that. I think a lot of the more moderate users just got fed up with all the poo poo being pushed to the front page around that time, all the people who flooded the entire site with posts about Ellen Pao, FatPeopleHate and all the "Chimpire" stuff being banned. Those users left and never came back. Also since Pao got canned, a lot of the more vocal shitheads on Reddit felt vindicated because they got what they want and now they feel like they can just run the place and put up any garbage they want.

What I'm saying is that Reddit has always been a garbage fire but ever since the shitstorm earlier this year things have gotten much, much worse.

More like right after Pao was tossed they banned the explicit hate groups, which lead to "no, gently caress YOU dad!" of the racists going more explicit everywhere else and getting more shitbirds to come roll on the filth.

In a macro scale it is that the economy has been crashing out and the weakening of privilege doesn't offer the protection from that it used to, so you have a lot of very angry formerly middle class people. Mix that with identity being the name of the game in these individualism-as-marketing days you end up with more ethno-populism than broad based ideological coalitions. Oh, and the mainstreaming of white supremacism during this time as hatred of Muslims and Obama got cranked up and now Trump's rhetoric.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Thump! posted:

To be fair, GiP kinda transcends irony and places it on a whole new pedestal. It's hard to say what's real down there.

Dogge thread is real

Post dogges

Pette dogges

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

zoux posted:

I guess they are required to cloak their racism with dog whistle terms, irony and the posting equivalents of knowing looks, but I dunno if that's a huge improvement. Reddit has funny pictures and memes though.

I will take irony and knowing looks over earnest, verbose discussion about how to best exterminate black people.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

The funniest thing w/r/t the Ellen Pao stuff is it turns out she wasn't doing a single thing they were accusing her of all along, and in fact was more or less 'on their side' w/r/t the censorship debate.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Republican House and Senate have just agreed to a $305 bln 5-year highway bill

Reminder that Hillary announced her $275 B 5-year plan the other day

Odnet
Mar 17, 2005
Hollerate.
People in general are racist and have vile viewpoints. Message boards give people an outlet for it with no repercussions. Stamping it out is fairly impossible when the site is as popular as Reddit is. You can't really expect any popular website to not have tons of garbage on it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Wait... what?

That was my same response, mixed with choked out :laffo:.

Uh, sure Jeb! Communications Director, try googling that. I'm sure DeviantArt or Reddit will steer you in the right direction...

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fried Chicken posted:

What helpful legislation are they dismantiling with it?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Dogge thread is real

Post dogges

Pette dogges

:agreed:

The GiP Dogge thread is better than the whole Pet Island because it's nothing but dogges being dogges.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who wants to read a fun article about how the GOP establishment is simultaneously tearing their hair out yet quivering in fear pissing themselves over Trump.

Won't someone rid me of this troublesome Trump? Not me tho, I don't want him to call me a bozo on twitter.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

Dogge thread is real

Post dogges

Pette dogges

Thump! posted:

:agreed:

The GiP Dogge thread is better than the whole Pet Island because it's nothing but dogges being dogges.

Dog.

It is called a dog.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fried Chicken posted:

And the poison pill is...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The dogge thread is good but the Yospos catte thread is where it's at :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

It's a literal one, and the bill requires Obama to take it.

"Vetoing our nations infrastructure over SPECIAL INTERESTS again Obummer"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Dog.

It is called a dog.

You're a dog :colbert:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Reauthorizes the IM-EX Bank, does not raise the gas tax

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grouchio posted:

Should we be expecting a new patriot act this month? Or will the lesser crisis compared to 9/11 allow cooler heads to prevail?

For as much hand-wringing I made it out to be in the OP, I think what will happen is that they will talk big, but nothing will happen. Next year, some people will put out new proposals (including Tom Cotton who has vowed to reinstate the NSA's authority to collect phone metadata) but they won't be approved. However, one of those proposals that we see come out in the next year will be revived right after the next major terrorist attack and passed without comment.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

baw posted:

this one's a real bummer
Yeah why did I read that one :smithicide:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Btw how did we not have someone dig up a gif or video of Scott Walker face planting last night at WI's lighting ceremony? Per his people he had been "nipping into the eggnog" (and it showed) before hand

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thump! posted:

Its surreal, but I'd hate to say its ironic, because its really not. :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah why did I read that one :smithicide:

There are really only two things that I get despondent about : the acceptance of Islamophobia in American discourse and policy, and million dollar kickstarters for cops that kill unarmed black kids.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Probably Obummacare being repealed

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Who wants to read a fun article about how the GOP establishment is simultaneously tearing their hair out yet quivering in fear pissing themselves over Trump.

Won't someone rid me of this troublesome Trump? Not me tho, I don't want him to call me a bozo on twitter.

"Bro-kered Conven-tion!" *clap clap clapclapclap*

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

a shameful boehner posted:

"Bro-kered Conven-tion!" *clap clap clapclapclap*

I want to see something like a mirror universe West Wing Season 6/7 convention where Walker or Kasich or one of the other fuckheads who already dropped just randomly throw their hat back in the ring after the first convention vote becomes a clusterfuck and fails to elect a nominee.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Well that "Trans leftist bank robber" theory didn't last very long.

Also a town clerk confirmed that the "F" on his voter roll info was in fact a typo.

Did Cruz and company forget this guy was taken in alive or what?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Its surreal, but I'd hate to say its ironic, because its really not. :smith:

Wishing the entire world to end in cleansing nuclear fire is better than just the middle east right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Wishing the entire world to end in cleansing nuclear fire is better than just the middle east right?

"Pity the living, for the dead got the easy out"

But seriously, I don't know how many people in the service I've heard say some really lovely/racist/awful things and I keep hoping they are joking...

• Locked thread