Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Dienes posted:

Thank god the shoes don't exist, because you wouldn't be able to wear them, either.

They're claiming to be waterproof though, not just water resistant, so they'd be wearable if that was actually the case. I really doubt they've managed to make these things fully waterproof for under $200 though; and even if they have they sure as hell aren't gonna stay waterproof for very long once you actually start wearing them.

E: A good read on the difference between waterproof, water resistant and water repellant:

http://www.hzo.com/waterresistant-waterrepellent-waterproof-whats-difference/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
But "waterproof to 5 meters" doesn't really make sense. If it were truly waterproof 5 meters would not be the cutoff. Nothing that's actually waterproof is only waterproof to 1.5 atm.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Maybe they only had access to a 5 m pool to test with.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The Mentalizer posted:

They're claiming to be waterproof though, not just water resistant, so they'd be wearable if that was actually the case. I really doubt they've managed to make these things fully waterproof for under $200 though; and even if they have they sure as hell aren't gonna stay waterproof for very long once you actually start wearing them.

E: A good read on the difference between waterproof, water resistant and water repellant:

http://www.hzo.com/waterresistant-waterrepellent-waterproof-whats-difference/

They claim they are water resistant to 5 meters, which is less water resistant than a splash proof watch.

They later claim you can run them through a washing machine. My point was that these are completely contradictory statements. Because the shoes are bullshit.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Instead of making stupid color e-ink shoes, can anyone make a color e-book with super fast refreshing speed for a start? I would totally buy that.

Yeah definitely. I love my kindle thing but that refresh rate with color would be amazing.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I don't think a high quality color eink display is physically possible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Backers don't have to know that, because I have this gif I made in Photoshop. I mean, that means it must be possible.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Backers don't have to know that, because I have this gif I made in Photoshop. I mean, that means it must be possible.
the block wall effect is one of the really easy, and often a tutorial, effects in 3d renderers.

Which I'll sheepishly admit is what made me realise it was all bullshit

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spazzle posted:

I don't think a high quality color eink display is physically possible.

No it totally is, and exists. It's just currently very expensive, much in the way that the level of detail monochrome e-ink displays of today would cost thousands back when the original Kindle and Sony e-ink readers came out in 2006/2007, and how those screens theselves would cost thousands in like the late 90s.

This doesn't mean that "oh so we'll get the high quality color e-ink in like 8 or 9 years right?" because we don't really know when the breakthrough in reliability and price will happen.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
An urban breathing mask for the 21st century

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Are these guys just rebranding Vogmask? It looks really similar.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Finally someone combines my two biggest desires: clean breathing and looking like a Mortal Kombat character

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Those might sell well in China, but outside flu panics, nobody really cares about a face mask.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The General posted:

Those might sell well in China, but outside flu panics, nobody really cares about a face mask.

In Japan they have flu mask design for any occasion.

Sports.

Depression.

Being cute???

Wearing sexy lingerie???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why does asia do that mask poo poo. and do not tell me no why.

TetsuoTW posted:

Hey guy.

gently caress you for posting that.

if i must suffer so shall you all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Groovelord Neato posted:

if i must suffer so shall you all.

In China the biggest reason is pretty easy to see. Their cities look like Pittsburgh did during the Steel Industry's prime.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's two main uses - either air pollution, especially if you're on the back of a scooter, or for theoretically protecting others when you're the coughing kind of sick.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wish I lived in a world where it was socially acceptable to wear a mask when you were sick, especially if you live in a world where health insurance and time off is such a clusterfuck that coming into work while sick is a fact of life.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Man, I want one of these. I can breathe healthy AND be the creepy girl at the bus stop that no one wants to talk to. It'd be amazing to make it all the way to work without being spoken to because I look like I'm preparing for the apocalypse or have the plague. Americans are conditioned to avoid people in 'dust masks'- I want to take advantage of that. :allears:

Freakbox has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Dec 2, 2015

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Freakbox posted:

Man, I want one of these. I can breathe healthy AND be the creepy girl at the bus stop that no one wants to talk to. It'd be amazing to make it all the way to work without being spoken to because I look like I'm preparing for the apocalypse or have the plague. Americans are conditioned to avoid people in 'dust masks'- I want to take advantage of that. :allears:

Get it.. Or some other one. Being able to smile to yourself about kitties without some weirdo taking that as a sign to start hitting on you is GREAT. Though wearing anything other than super strong matte lipstick beneath them is a clown shaped disaster....

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I think I just might- I found the cute grumpy cat ones from that example photo. Oklahoma...not the friendliest place for very small women alone//taking public transit.

I don't even wear makeup most of the time, and most of the men who used to talk to me when I took the bus always asked what high school I was attending. (("Hey sweetheart- you headin' home from school? When do you graduate?"))

................:frogon: The Bus in the bible belt, ladies and gentlemen. It's for the three C's- Crazy, Creepy, or Carless. All i need to do is blend in with the first C's long enough to get to work. This thread was actually good for something for once!

Freakbox has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Dec 2, 2015

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sleeveless posted:

I wish I lived in a world where it was socially acceptable to wear a mask when you were sick, especially if you live in a world where health insurance and time off is such a clusterfuck that coming into work while sick is a fact of life.

Pretty much, seems a pretty western thing to be too vain/proud to wear a mask, so everyone gets the flu instead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Between a high population density and a loving crushing work ethic, you're gonna get a whole lot of sick people on a Japanese train all at once.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1547604553/stream-live-news-updates-on-your-personal-wire?2

Just got an ad for this on Twitter. Apparently pulling your phone out is too distracting, so you need another device to keep you informed. Seems like a nice enough guy, but what a dumb concept.

Xandu has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Dec 2, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've already got a thing on my desk that keeps me up to date with my social media.

It's called my computer and goofing off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xandu posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1547604553/stream-live-news-updates-on-your-personal-wire?2

Just got an ad for this on Twitter. Apparently pulling your phone out is too distracting, so you need another device to keep you informed. Seems like a nice enough guy, but what a dumb concept.

I mean, I guess I can understand the appeal. It's like an RSS feed but for smart phone apps. I wouldn't buy one, because I could just put my phone on my desk and it vibrates etc when I get important messages already. But I guess it kinda makes sense if you want updates on poo poo you can't get on your pc? maybe?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Where I live (Malaysia) a majority of people around the west coast wear those things for several months of the year because of haze that drifts north from forests being cleared in Indonesia. People came to my campus selling them in skull print and other silly designs a few times and they always had customers lined up. Rest of the year you just see them on people with scooters/small motorbikes and ethnic Chinese wearing them when they're ill.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

Pretty much, seems a pretty western thing to be too vain/proud to wear a mask, so everyone gets the flu instead.
Counterpoint: SARS

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

I mean, I guess I can understand the appeal. It's like an RSS feed but for smart phone apps. I wouldn't buy one, because I could just put my phone on my desk and it vibrates etc when I get important messages already. But I guess it kinda makes sense if you want updates on poo poo you can't get on your pc? maybe?

I wonder if those pictures are supposed to be representative of the final build quality. The device looks cheap, and that LCD is just... bad. I've seen childrens toys with a higher res screen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CJacobs posted:

What exactly can't you get on your PC that is so important you need to know about it right away? Someone's beaten your record in Candy Crush? Maybe I use my smartphone wrong, but I can't imagine a single situation where I'd need a separate device to look at notification from my apps.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Paladinus posted:

What exactly can't you get on your PC that is so important you need to know about it right away? Someone's beaten your record in Candy Crush? Maybe I use my smartphone wrong, but I can't imagine a single situation where I'd need a separate device to look at notification from my apps.

My phone lets me know when I get emails and it pops up the title and who it's from, so if you want your email checked for you so you can be lazy and not have to check it yourself that could be a potential use. I'm sure something, somewhere exists that gives you a popup on your taskbar when you get an email or similar, but the point of this... thing is that you can use it wherever in your home because it's connected to the smartphone and not the computer. So the idea is if you put it on like your coffee table or something you can see when you get an email and be like "oh my phone is in my pocket like it always is in 2015" and just check it when it pops up. That's definitely not worth 60 bucks, though.

edit: And it's a dumb idea.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Dec 2, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CJacobs posted:

My phone lets me know when I get emails and it pops up the title and who it's from, so if you want your email checked for you so you can be lazy and not have to check it yourself that could be a potential use. I'm sure something, somewhere exists that gives you a popup on your taskbar when you get an email or similar, but the point of this... thing is that you can use it wherever in your home because it's connected to the smartphone and not the computer. It's definitely not worth 60 bucks, though.

Any email client (including different browser extensions) can give you popup notifications. And when you're at home you probably can take a minute to look at your phone. It's not like at a family dinner it's more acceptable to check your stupid notification box than to check your phone anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the 60 dollar rss feed box. Nobody should defend the 60 dollar rss feed box. I'm just saying that I can see where their misguided idea has its roots.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ha the clock app I have on my iPad has that exact RSS/Twitter functionality and isn't an ugly piece of poo poo.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it's a worthless idea but it has a working prototype, it's not a spinning top, and if you're stupid enough to pay for one there's at least even odds that one will get sent to you. That puts it in the top 10% of kickstarters easily

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maluco Marinero posted:

Don't want to burst your bubble, but it's not really backed by medical results to wear masks like that to keep you from getting sick or keep others from getting sick from you. Especially for stuff like the flu, where the airborne bits of nastiness that will spread the infection can do quite well at getting through the masks and more importantly around the sides.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Maluco Marinero posted:

it's not like wearing a surgical mask is uncomfortable or anything, either

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Maluco Marinero posted:

Actually, it's the opposite. In cultures where people wear masks, it's because there is a social stigma to do so. People don't wear the masks to prevent the spread of sickness, they wear it because if they come into work or get on the train sick but not wearing a mask, they'll get annoyed stares- Even though there's evidence showing that it doesn't actually prevent anything except maybe you getting your bodily fluids on someone else when you cough or sneeze or whatever. It's got nothing to do with vanity in other cultures.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Dec 2, 2015

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

fishmech posted:

Don't want to burst your bubble, but it's not really backed by medical results to wear masks like that to keep you from getting sick or keep others from getting sick from you. Especially for stuff like the flu, where the airborne bits of nastiness that will spread the infection can do quite well at getting through the masks and more importantly around the sides.

To be fair, handwashing and vaccinations have ample evidence and people don't do either of those, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dienes posted:

To be fair, handwashing and vaccinations have ample evidence and people don't do either of those, either.

its true nobody is vaccinated