Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Al-Jazeera America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Thump! posted:

Nah, I've got two brothers in the Army (anecdotal, granted). They'd be just dandy with tossing all of the Muslims in America into internment camps. Most of the Marines I knew are the same way.

The Navy is probably the best of the bunch, and ironically the most effective at actually "defending" ARE FREEDUMS.

I'm trying to find the Pew article I read earlier in the year, but I believe it fell something like the most liberal branch was the Navy with a 48%/52% Lib/Con split and the worst was the Army with a 35%/65% split with the Air Force not far behind. Marines were surprisingly liberal mainly because there is a comparatively high percentage of minorities but still fell way behind the Navy.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

The big difference I see between those groups is visibility, American Muslims just aren't as visible as those other groups and I think that's why people feel free to otherize them in such a callous manner. It was exactly the same for gays and to the extent it has improved it's mostly in areas where the LGBT community has achieved more visibility.

Uh, not to belabor the obvious, but it's also an ideological/cultural/religious commitment rather than an inborn characteristic and is currently associated with multiple highly-visible organizations that are inimical to western civil society/culture (and whose hostility is openly claimed to be based on those groups' interpretations of Islam).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

a shameful boehner posted:

Al-Jazeera America?

Conservatives: "A MUSLIM News Group?!?!"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

AlternateNu posted:

I'm trying to find the Pew article I read earlier in the year, but I believe it fell something like the most liberal branch was the Navy with a 48%/52% Lib/Con split and the worst was the Army with a 35%/65% split with the Air Force not far behind. Marines were surprisingly liberal mainly because there is a comparatively high percentage of minorities but still fell way behind the Navy.

Sounds about right, though I would've pegged the Evangelical Corporation that is the US Air Force to be the most conservative, but hey :shrug:.

We're all lovely in our own way I guess :v:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

CommieGIR posted:

The Navy.....has its share. Don't be fooled.
We had a Muslim guy in our department. Some of the more vehement right wingers (going by what they post to Facebook now) decided to throw his prayer rug overboard

He got another, ended up keeping it in a storage space he had a key to that most couldn't get to. I never saw him pull it from there to use though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theshim posted:

So what would you guys qualify as being passable, out of curiosity? Not good, because I know we can find ways to rail against literally every single reporter in the world, but what provides a reasonable amount of substance these days?

Individual twitter accounts of reporters I know to be good.

But basically there is no one unequivocally "good" news source. You just have to be able to discriminate between good and bad reporting, data and presentation. A good rule of thumb is that if what you are reading confirms everything you believe about yourself and everything you believe about the other side, find another source to corroborate it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

We had a Muslim guy in our department. Some of the more vehement right wingers (going by what they post to Facebook now) decided to throw his prayer rug overboard

He got another, ended up keeping it in a storage space he had a key to that most couldn't get to. I never saw him pull it from there to use though.

:doh: The problem is the Conservatives in the Armed Forces tend to be the higher ranking individuals more often than not.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Al-Jazeera America?

Apropos of nothing, I was very surprised to see advertisements for this network during the WWE Monday broadcast. Seems like a very interesting demo for them to go after, to say the least.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Frabba posted:

Apropos of nothing, I was very surprised to see advertisements for this network during the WWE Monday broadcast. Seems like a very interesting demo for them to go after, to say the least.

Hulkamaniacs are crazy about political news outside the mainstream with a strong emphasis on foreign policy, brother.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The new media message by the way is that Rosa Parks was a god-fearing Republican because she was fighting against racist Democrats.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

LGD posted:

Uh, not to belabor the obvious, but it's also an ideological/cultural/religious commitment rather than an inborn characteristic and is currently associated with multiple highly-visible organizations that are inimical to western civil society/culture (and whose hostility is openly claimed to be based on those groups' interpretations of Islam).

It's the second coming of the Red Scare, complete with armed morons threatening to "stop them" but with actual "Reds" (read: Muslims) to target and harass this time instead of simply inferring that anyone who disagrees with their right wing bullshit as one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Talmonis posted:

It's the second coming of the Red Scare, complete with armed morons threatening to "stop them" but with actual "Reds" (read: Muslims) to target and harass this time instead of simply inferring that anyone who disagrees with their right wing bullshit as one.

And this time around, the GOP likes the Russians :unsmith:

For all the wrong reasons.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

:smith: One team one fight, eh?

CommieGIR posted:

:doh: The problem is the Conservatives in the Armed Forces tend to be the higher ranking individuals more often than not.

Usually. My last 1st Sgt at my reserve unit was an ultra liberal postman from Jersey, which was the most shocking thing in the world to me after the last several I had dealt with. My favorite was probably the one who would rant continuously about how gays would be the fall of the USMC, similar to the decadent destruction of Rome or whatever.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Talmonis posted:

Third. We've had two red scares already.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thump! posted:

Usually. My last 1st Sgt at my reserve unit was an ultra liberal postman from Jersey, which was the most shocking thing in the world to me after the last several I had dealt with. My favorite was probably the one who would rant continuously about how gays would be the fall of the USMC, similar to the decadent destruction of Rome or whatever.

Ours was a guy who started preaching about how the holy land proves that the Bible is true and that I was going to hell for believing in Evolution.

Thump! posted:

My favorite was probably the one who would rant continuously about how gays would be the fall of the USMC, similar to the decadent destruction of Rome or whatever.

I wonder if he has a Molon Labe flag and rants about Spartans ;)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh dear.

(Yes, it's real.)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sure is weird that every good person in American history was a good person that stood up to unjust authority and the current ones are such poo poo fuckers that force everyone else to do what they want.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Third. We've had two red scares already.

Looks like you're correct. Also, holy poo poo Joe McCarthy looks like Ted Cruz pre-melted face.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

Sure is weird that every good person in American history was a good person that stood up to unjust authority and the current ones are such poo poo fuckers that force everyone else to do what they want.

Conservatives can't be on the right side of history by definition. They always lose in the long run.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh dear.

(Yes, it's real.)

Is it bad when Google does it?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Ours was a guy who started preaching about how the holy land proves that the Bible is true and that I was going to hell for believing in Evolution.

I wonder if he has a Molon Labe flag and rants about Spartans ;)

Eh, he was a hardcore biker douchebag. So yes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Is it bad when Google does it?

No, because Google isn't exploiting the image of a dead person for political points.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Y'all keep telling me Rubio is supposed to be the sane, moderate Republican with crossover appeal for young people and Democrats.

"Source posted:

“We are biblically ordered not to be afraid,” Rubio said. “You know why? Because God is telling us that no matter what happens, ‘It is part of my plan. I will give you the strength to endure it whether you like it or not.'”

Rubio noted that he had previously been asked why God would allow terrorist attacks to happen.

“Where was God on 9/11? Where was God in Paris?” he recalled being asked.

“I said, ‘where God always is — on the throne in Heaven,'” he explained. “The question was how could God allow these bad things to happen? It always challenges us to understand that God’s ways are not our ways. What we may interpret as bad, and most certainly is in the case of Paris or 9/11, even that is part of a broader plan for the universe and for our lives that we are just not going to know the answer to. God’s ways are not our ways.”

Will evangelicals eat this poo poo up or does the theological problem of evil not apply to 9/11 et al?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Talmonis posted:

Looks like you're correct. Also, holy poo poo Joe McCarthy looks like Ted Cruz pre-melted face.

Well if we're really lucky (we're not), their stories will have similar endings.

Radish posted:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Joementum posted:

A marble bust of former Vice President Dick Cheney will be unveiled Thursday in the Capitol.

So if you're in the DC area, wear some boots and waders to handle the inevitable river of blood.
I would advise bringing sledgehammers as well.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh dear.

(Yes, it's real.)

God, Clinton is really so lucky that she is up against the GOP Klownpanzer. Sure, she has really done good at showing she is quite capable and politically adept, but her attempts to reach out to the more left part of the base feels so much like pandering.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, because Google isn't exploiting the image of a dead person for political points.

Just for $$$, which makes it ok, got it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

The Navy.....has its share. Don't be fooled. The Coast Guard is a different breed, since they are largely enforcement and rescue.

My father was a 30-year man in the Navy, retired as an O-4, and he says the level of proselytizing especially while at sea went from 0 to 60 in his last 15 or so years.

Frabba posted:

Probably a channel buy. Strange that they couldn't sell all the slots on a WWE show, then again it is football season.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 1, 2015

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Talmonis posted:

It's not like we haven't had multiple previous waves of nativist concern over immigrants and their religious beliefs, why make extremely strained parallels to the Red Scare(s) when there are much more apt historical comparisons?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Why does God need a throne, anyway? You'd think he'd be more comfortable on his clouds where angels comb his luxuriant white hair and beard and the seraphim apply generous moisturizer to keep his white skin smooth and welcoming

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Riosan posted:

Y'all keep telling me Rubio is supposed to be the sane, moderate Republican with crossover appeal for young people and Democrats.

Will evangelicals eat this poo poo up or does the theological problem of evil not apply to 9/11 et al?
God's ways are far beyond anything we can understand, which is why he let it happen.

Now let me tell you about killing all Muslims.

e:

Why does God need a throne, anyway? You'd think he'd be more comfortable on his clouds where angels comb his luxuriant white hair and beard and the seraphim apply generous moisturizer to keep his white skin smooth and welcoming
Just what does God need with a starship?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Riosan posted:

Rubio is like W., where he is able to put forth the image of being a truly Christian man who at least is compassionate about others while conservative. He's not a culture warrior like Huckabee or Santorum, just a religious guy.

At the same time, the way that Rubio and Jeb are the moderates is really just a sign of how loving insane the Republicans have gotten.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

This is like complaining about car dealers dressing up as presidents for Presidents' Day sales. American society is much more forgiving of corporate shamelessness than political shamelessness.

You're probably right that both should be upsetting.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Talmonis posted:

It's strange how the left considers themselves moral arbiters and protectors of Muslim Americans when people say mean things about them, while their president blows them up because they're on a list and the response is a shrug.

But sure, "right wing bullshit". Just like Syrian refugees are somehow a moral imperative now, but when they actually had homes and a country, no one wanted to commit troops or material.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump's shaking CNN down for $5 mil

quote:

"How about I tell CNN, who doesn't treat me properly ... I'm not gonna do the next debate, okay?" The demand garnered tepid applause from the crowd.

Trump zeroed in more on his idea: "I won't do the debate unless they pay me $5 million, all of which goes to Wounded Warriors or goes to vets."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Did you want the idealist answer or the realistic answer?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It's strange how the left considers themselves moral arbiters and protectors of Muslim Americans when people say mean things about them, while their president blows them up because they're on a list and the response is a shrug.

But sure, "right wing bullshit". Just like Syrian refugees are somehow a moral imperative now, but when they actually had homes and a country, no one wanted to commit troops or material.
Was there an actual point to this or is it just random rabble?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah sure it will go to wounded warriors. i loving doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

Was there an actual point to this or is it just random rabble?

You responding was the point.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah sure it will go to wounded warriors. i loving doubt it.

I'm sure it is, though.

• Locked thread