Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mr Interweb posted:

Not sure if it was already covered, but the guy in that video himself says that Trump is full of poo poo. :lol:

But this is truly an amazing conspiracy theory, even by Republican standards. Supposedly THOUSANDS of MUSLIMS were cheering in New Jersey after 9/11, and yet we cannot find a single source corroborating this claim. One of Trump's idiot advisers tried to defend him by saying that we didn't have camera phones at the time (We had tons of footage of 9/11 but whatever) Now even if that was the case, if what Trump is claiming is in fact correct, presumably he didn't see these people celebrate up close and personal. He says he saw it on T.V. or whatever. So if that's the case, that means someone somewhere must have recorded such a thing, so why is that footage not been discovered yet?

But here's the biggest hole in Trump's claim. So again, supposedly THOUSANDS AND THOUSAND OF MUSLIMS were celebrating after 9/11 in New Jersey, and for some strange inexplicable reason, every single major right-wing, conservative, pro-Republican news outlet in the entire country decided to ignore it?

Man, the liberal media runs loving deep, don't it?

"You just don't understand how these people are. They hate our freedom." *looks at you with pity, shakes head sadly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Y'all have the memory of a goldfish, he's done this for every debate and he's yet to have skipped one. He just uses it as an excuse to bash the hosts of the debate for not caring about veterans.

Ah, I have not watched past the first.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Aerox posted:

The usual response from the more hardcore evangelicals is that stuff like 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, etc., are that they're intentional acts of God, because he's punishing America because we're so bad at being Christian. Rubio's answer is weaselly enough that the evangelicals will see it as a wink and a nod to what they believe, and know that Rubio can't REALLY say that because of all this gosh darn political correctness.

See:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/august/24.55.html
http://www.salon.com/2015/03/31/fox_news_contributor_says_911_was_gods_punishment_for_abortion/
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2008/04/23/22152/hagee-katrina-mccain/
http://www.ethicsdaily.com/fundamentalists-view-hurricane-katrina-as-gods-punishment-cms-6269
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/23/pat-robertson-natural-disasters-middle-east-peace_n_3641433.html
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/glenn-beck-japan-earthquake-message-god-follow-ten-commandments-article-1.117860
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/01/13/haiti.pat.robertson/

these clowns are realy not any different from the westboro nuts. they just dog whistle it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

zoux posted:

Individual twitter accounts of reporters I know to be good.

But basically there is no one unequivocally "good" news source. You just have to be able to discriminate between good and bad reporting, data and presentation. A good rule of thumb is that if what you are reading confirms everything you believe about yourself and everything you believe about the other side, find another source to corroborate it.

You can use climate change denial as a litmus test to determine if a source is partisan poo poo. usually the bad web design gives it away but the climate change thing is a bit more tangible

Of course the correct stance on climate change doesn't automatically mean it's a good source but it's a good way to eliminate a good chunk of the bullshit

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It's strange how the left considers themselves moral arbiters and protectors of Muslim Americans when people say mean things about them, while their president blows them up because they're on a list and the response is a shrug.

But sure, "right wing bullshit". Just like Syrian refugees are somehow a moral imperative now, but when they actually had homes and a country, no one wanted to commit troops or material.

It is strange how you've never seen any Lefty be Anti-war

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
If Trump were a true political genius, he'd demand that the debate be pruned to the top 3 or else he's going to buy air time on a competing network and blow the ratings out of the water doing a live town hall.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

pathetic little tramp posted:

If Trump were a true political genius, he'd demand that the debate be pruned to the top 3 or else he's going to buy air time on a competing network and blow the ratings out of the water doing a live town hall.

poo poo, this would be a dream scenario for me. Watching this go down and CNN crap their collective pants in fear while the Trumpster is praying his ratings go higher if he actually has to follow through...

It's like the Mexican standoff at the end of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly except it's just bad and ugly and I pray they both shoot each other in the dick.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Another well-known journalist leaves the airwaves this month.

SCOTUS just sent a signal that it may well pick up the topic of Executive Amnesty this term instead of punting it until 2017.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

I thought this was going to be about Kurt Loder.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh dear.

(Yes, it's real.)

Let's take a moment and marvel that Clinton's team has elected to put Rosa Parks in the back of the bus in this image

foobardog posted:

God, Clinton is really so lucky that she is up against the GOP Klownpanzer. Sure, she has really done good at showing she is quite capable and politically adept, but her attempts to reach out to the more left part of the base feels so much like pandering.

When she reaches out to the left her hand is just extending 1 finger. Literally today she ended up to the right of the GOP on infrastructure spending. She already jumped back from the FAMILY act and is doing her own version of the anti tax pledge

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Holy poo poo, this was still on? I thought it ended 15 years ago. What time slot has it been airing?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

Let's take a moment and marvel that Clinton's team has elected to put Rosa Parks in the back of the bus in this image

Someone with photoshop should see how it looks with her in the front, I suspect it doesn't look good at all. Granted this should then have made whoever was making it decide to scrap the idea.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Wow it's almost like someone was trying to reference an event???

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

fishmech posted:

Wow it's almost like someone was trying to reference an event???

The logo thing is irrelevant, but if part of your campaign is striving for gender equality you would probably want to show the end result rather than the beginning.

e: my intention is just to lol at bad design decisions not to say Hillary is bad

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This must be an issue of conservative word play at work here, cause don't right-wingers constantly bitch about birth control pills? That was one of the reasons they went after Sandra Fluke so hard.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

This must be an issue of conservative word play at work here, cause don't right-wingers constantly bitch about birth control pills? That was one of the reasons they went after Sandra Fluke so hard.

they generally don't want to ban birth control. they just don't see why the government should ever pay for it. who cares if it's so cheap you can easily hand it out for free and it prevents massive cost/expense down the road? women should keep their legs closed

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Conservatives don't want to ban contraception- They just accept public schools providing misinformation and prudish social norms making them a hassle to acquire.

Was it Sheldon Adelson who said that 'in my day birth control was for a woman to take a aspirin and keep it between her knees'?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Don't conservatives say that birth control pills are abortificents? I swear I heard someone like Santorum say that. And many others as well.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

McDowell posted:

Conservatives don't want to ban contraception- They just accept public schools providing misinformation and prudish social norms making them a hassle to acquire.

Was it Sheldon Adelson who said that 'in my day birth control was for a woman to take a aspirin and keep it between her knees'?

Nope, different rich rear end in a top hat.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Interweb posted:

Don't conservatives say that birth control pills are abortificents? I swear I heard someone like Santorum say that. And many others as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MBO9tNNejo

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Mr Interweb posted:

That is the main part of the issue. Note that he only brought up condoms while he was going on his rant about nobody wanting to ban contraceptives. He didn't straight up mention birth control pills for exactly this reason.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hmm. So he thinks they're harmful but has no abortion related objections to birth control pills?

So what do conservatives consider abortificents? I might have been confusing it with birth control pills but I swear I've seen them use the term to describe something related to birth control.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I'm starting to think that going after conservatives by telling them how mean and terrible they are to various groups isn't that effective. At worst, they'll go Trump and celebrate the fact that they're being terrible and mean. At best, they'll say "well this is just what we have to do to stay [safe/Christian/free/etc]".

Trump gains supporters by appearing to be a winner who gets what he wants.
Maybe we should just start absolutely humiliating conservatives and making them look like foolish losers. It worked on Jeb!.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Odd that Santorum and Cruz have never met.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The logo thing is irrelevant, but if part of your campaign is striving for gender equality you would probably want to show the end result rather than the beginning.

e: my intention is just to lol at bad design decisions not to say Hillary is bad

I'm not sure how you're supposed to represent the end result in a way that doesn't look ugly as hell within the confines of the logo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jeb's gonna put out an ad that's just "Rosa Parks!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

fishmech posted:

I'm not sure how you're supposed to represent the end result in a way that doesn't look ugly as hell within the confines of the logo.

Hence why the idea should have been ditched.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

maybe a very 70's thing with fractions of the H trailing off to the left (putting Rosa at the front of the bus)

Send me money, Hillary.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hence why the idea should have been ditched.

Nope, as the idea is good and the actual image is good.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I dunno, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and say the image is meant to emphasize Parks starting from the back of the bus but then moving forward along the arrow. The emphasis is on the physically moving forward part, which is what the anniversary is all about. I don't think it's as bad as you all are making it out to be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr Interweb posted:

Holy poo poo, this was still on? I thought it ended 15 years ago. What time slot has it been airing?
The linked article says that as of late the show was not airing that much. I had no idea it was still going either.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I dunno, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and say the image is meant to emphasize Parks starting from the back of the bus but then moving forward along the arrow. The emphasis is on the physically moving forward part, which is what the anniversary is all about. I don't think it's as bad as you all are making it out to be.

Yeah, these were my thoughts exactly.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

I did not have the stomach to click through.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
No way in hell I'll watch that.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
O'Malley sure is setting himself up to take Biden's place as America's goofy uncle.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
O'Malley/Sanders 2016???

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

foobardog posted:

O'Malley sure is setting himself up to take Biden's place as America's goofy uncle.

We're gonna go from Diamond Joe to Emerald Martin :swoon:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

No way in hell I'll watch that.

"Well I'm O'Malley and I'm here to say..."

*cringes, collapses into self like a dying star*

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mr Interweb posted:

Hmm. So he thinks they're harmful but has no abortion related objections to birth control pills?

So what do conservatives consider abortificents? I might have been confusing it with birth control pills but I swear I've seen them use the term to describe something related to birth control.
I don't know if I've heard them called "abortifacients" but I have heard people lump them in the same category as abortion pills, especially in the case of Plan B, because they think it works primarily (or exclusively, or whatever) by preventing implantation of a fertilized embryo, which is apparently similar enough to an abortion to count. And probably in the case of Plan B a lot of people just think they are straight-up abortion pills, and no mere fact is going to convince them otherwise of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

McDowell posted:

Foster Friess

• Locked thread