Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Gave me flashbacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

Hmm. So he thinks they're harmful but has no abortion related objections to birth control pills?

So what do conservatives consider abortificents? I might have been confusing it with birth control pills but I swear I've seen them use the term to describe something related to birth control.

Plan B. If you want give them the benefit of the doubt, they might be confusing it with Mifepristone which is an abortifacient but can be used to halt ovulation before fertilization the same way Plan B does. But this is the group that when the whole Sandra Fluke thing went down, had an alarming number of members who seemed to think that regular birth control pills was only taken when you had sex... Basically the narrative in pro-life circles is that all emergency contraceptive has the potential to block implantation (there is no evidence of this) and is therefore killing babies.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Let's take a moment and marvel that Clinton's team has elected to put Rosa Parks in the back of the bus in this image

Actually I recently found out that that's what actually happened.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dems and GOP talks have resulted in a $300 billion bill that injects some badly needed money into the highway system that is crumbling, but takes some money out of the Fed and the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in order to do it. A deal was also reached to reopen the Ex/Im Bank.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/u...v=top-news&_r=0

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Nolanar posted:

Shorting has its purpose in lowering the value of an over-inflated stock, theoretically stopping speculative bubbles before they can form. It just gets press for all the other schemes people use it for, including :psyduck: stuff like "naked short selling."

I know this was a few pages back, I'm stupid when it comes to stocks. Could you please explain in lay terms what Short Selling is? I looked it up online but everything I found was a little over my head. Basically from what I gathered it was:

Company goes out of business = Stock price goes down
Turing CEO bought 70% of shares of defunct company at $.90 each to make value go up
More people bought the stock after causing price to go up
Turing CEO sells his 70% of shares causing price to plummet
People who bought the stock after him are hosed

Is that pretty much what happened?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/12/christian_author_claims_free_m.html

A Christian conspiracy theorist and author in Alabama showed up to a movie theater in his Porsche 911 with a pistol and demanded money. They hand over the money and then the manager tackles him he sees it's a BB gun and not a pistol. When the cops arrive, he tells them that he did it as part of his Freemason initiation. :psyduck:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

SalTheBard posted:

Could you please explain in lay terms what Short Selling is?
From http://www.investopedia.com/university/shortselling/

quote:

Short selling makes it possible to sell what one does not own, by borrowing the asset or instrument in question, selling it, and then buying it back (hopefully at a cheaper price) to replace the borrowed asset. As the seller does not own the asset, the process of selling it creates a short position (think of it as a shortfall) that must eventually be covered by buying it back on the market. The difference between the initial sale price and the price at which the asset was brought back represents the short seller's profit or loss.

You borrow stock from a guy A, the stock is worth :10bux:. You bet it's going to be worth only 1.00 buck soon so you borrow the stock. You have stock worth :10bux: and you sell it to some other guy B. You now have :10bux: and owe the original guy A one stock! Lucky for you, you were right and the stock is now worth only 1.00 buck. You buy the stock back for 1.00 (you originally sold it for :10bux:) and give the stock back to guy A. You only paid 1.00 for the stock the second time tho, so you actually made 9.00 bucks altogether.

This is how I understand it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dems and GOP talks have resulted in a $300 billion bill that injects some badly needed money into the highway system that is crumbling, but takes some money out of the Fed and the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in order to do it. A deal was also reached to reopen the Ex/Im Bank.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/u...v=top-news&_r=0

If you ever want an example of how horrible the Norquist "no taxes" pledge is, this is a great example. Rather than do a slight tax increase to fund this, an expenditure that we know we will more than recoup in long term gains, we are selling off part of the strategic reserve. So 1) we are selling oil for money not when it is high and has great value, but when it is screaming down and 2) we are tapping our strategic reserves to do a mundane activity rather than preserve it for our strategic advantage, even as we engage in hostile actions in the large oil producing region and are dealing with an escalating expansionist oil power (Russia)

So we take a bath on a deal that hobbles our strategic position, all because they don't want to put a 5 cents/gal tax on gas and face the wrath of a group organized about an idea someone came up with in high school

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

So we take a bath on a deal that hobbles our strategic position, all because they don't want to put a 5 cents/gal tax on gas and face the wrath of a group organized about an idea someone came up with in high school

It's pretty drat crazy. I wonder why the repatriation tax holiday that was floated earlier in the year never got off the ground. That might not have been the best policy idea either, but it's a hell of a lot better than this.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SalTheBard posted:

I know this was a few pages back, I'm stupid when it comes to stocks. Could you please explain in lay terms what Short Selling is? I looked it up online but everything I found was a little over my head. Basically from what I gathered it was:

Turing CEO bought 70% of shares of defunct company at $.90 each to make value go up

Short selling is a sort of accounting trick that allows people to make money when a stock goes down. To be more specific, a short seller borrows shares of stock from someone who has a "long" position (i.e. is holding the stock so it goes up). The seller may then sell this borrowed stock, with the understanding that they are on the hook to buy back the same number of shares to eventually return to the original owner. If the stock goes down, the seller can buy back that number of shares at a lower price before returning them, and can pocket the difference in price between when they sold the borrowed shares and when they bought them back.

Short selling is dangerous, however, because stock prices can go up an unlimited amount. Thus, in order to guarantee that the person lending the shares will actually get them back, there is usually a minimum amount of money an investor must have in their account to act as collateral should they not be able to buy them back. If the price of the stock goes up a certain amount, this minimum amount of money goes up, and if the amount is not met, a broker may make what is called a "margin call", requiring the investor to pony up and bring their account up back to that "minimum margin requirement." Worse still, in order to get out of the position, that investor still has to make good and buy back that number of shares that they originally borrowed, which can be exceedingly pricey if the price has gone up too much.

Generally speaking, a mix of short sellers and long sellers is good, because they have opposite intentions. Long sellers buy low and sell high, while short sellers will "buy" high and "sell" low, helping to keep a stock's price in check. If a stock is likely to do poorly, short sellers will be taking positions and helping to drive the price down (because they want to buy at a lower price than whatever the current going price is to buy back their shares and lock in profits). If a stock is doing well, long sellers will be taking positions and helping to drive the price up (because they want to sell at a higher price than whatever the current price is to lock in their profits)

What Shkreli did was to screw up this natural balance for his own ends.

Shkreli bought 70% of the shares of a company that was going out of business (which meant that a lot of people had borrowed stock to make a profit by buying it back when it dropped). This (plus the fact that Shkreli pretended he was going to revive the company) suddenly drove the price up, which means that those investors start getting margin calls. In order to avoid that, those investors need to buy the stock back, even at a loss. Some investors caught on to this as the stock manipulation it was, and began shorting when Shkreli's power play began to fade, expecting that the price would again go down (which it did because of the balancing act I just mentioned)... But of course they only did so by borrowing Shkreli's stock. This was fine... Until Shkreli stopped lending it out. When he did so, the push to drive the price down evaporated again, since the short sellers could no longer get stock to short, and drove the price up even further, hurting the remaining short sellers.

As mentioned, these changes in price did not happen due to changes in KaloBios's fundamentals (the company is still basically defunct, even if Shkreli basically has control of the company) and were based purely in speculation to make Shkreli some money. Shkreli stands to win so long as the price doesn't go down below the ridiculous price he bought at, which is pretty easy to do given how much he drove the price up. Meanwhile, innocent investors get screwed because they tried to short things based on the fundamentals, but were forced to take losses due to Shkreli driving the price up for no reason other than his speculation.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 2, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

there wolf posted:

Plan B. If you want give them the benefit of the doubt, they might be confusing it with Mifepristone which is an abortifacient but can be used to halt ovulation before fertilization the same way Plan B does. But this is the group that when the whole Sandra Fluke thing went down, had an alarming number of members who seemed to think that regular birth control pills was only taken when you had sex... Basically the narrative in pro-life circles is that all emergency contraceptive has the potential to block implantation (there is no evidence of this) and is therefore killing babies.

Wait, I'm confused. If the pill (Plan B) blocks implantation, then there's no baby that starts to get formed, so how is it killing babies? I mean, this is before the process starts, so if they don't have any abortion related issues with regular birth control pills, what's the distinction?

Fried Chicken posted:

Middle school, actually:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/qzl2j5/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-grover-norquist-s-taxpayer-protection-pledge

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 2, 2015

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Agronox posted:

It's pretty drat crazy. I wonder why the repatriation tax holiday that was floated earlier in the year never got off the ground. That might not have been the best policy idea either, but it's a hell of a lot better than this.

Probably because the last repatriation holiday was a disaster, and another one would likely lose revenue.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SalTheBard posted:

• Company says "we're hosed" = stock goes down.
  • Speculators say "oh cool, I can make money!" and short sell it, effectively betting that the stock will continue to go down.
  • When you buy a share of stock, you're the proud owner of that share and you want it to go up. The maximum potential loss is whatever you paid for that share. If you short sell a stock, what you're doing is borrowing shares from a lender and selling them on the market. Later, you would close the order by purchasing the same shares and returning them to the lender. So if the price of the stock goes down, the difference between the price you sold the borrowed shares for and the price you're buying replacement shares at is your profit. This is a bet that the stock price will go down and is a good thing to have around because it provides negative feedback against speculation and bubbles.
  • Turing guy quietly buys shares and can absorb the loss while he gathers an ownership stake. Once he has enough shares, he tells the company "I'm willing to fund your continued operations."
  • The company announces they have a potential investor - the stock price goes up. Everyone who short sold thinking that the company was hosed is now freaking out because the higher the stock price goes, the more money they lose, and they have to act now. This is called a short squeeze. They close their orders by buying more shares, driving the price up further, driving more short sellers to buy more, in a feedback loop.
  • Other investors see this and correctly believe that it is naked manipulation and the spiked price is unsustainable. They short sell the spiked stock expecting it to go back down in a pump-and-dump. Turing guy, having a majority stake, is providing the majority of outstanding shares to the short sellers.
  • When the stock price has risen enough, Turing guy announces on Twitter that he's no longer providing shares for lending. This raises the price of the stock because the supply has suddenly tanked and short sellers can't find shares to buy anymore. Short sellers are once again left hanging and are forced to buy the now ridiculously expensive and scarce shares or face infinite losses.
  • Turing guy runs away with lots of money, everyone who propped up the stock price to make him rich is left holding the bag.

e:fb a bunch

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 2, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, I'm confused. If the pill (Plan B) blocks implantation, then there's no baby that starts to get formed, so how is it killing babies? I mean, this is before the process starts, so if they don't have any abortion related issues with regular birth control pills, what's the distinction?

Middle school, actually:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/qzl2j5/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-grover-norquist-s-taxpayer-protection-pledge

Hormonal contraceptives prevent ovulation. That is what plan b and the like do as well. After ovulation and fertilization, the zygote needs to implant. It is the position of some that that zygote is a human baby, so something that interferes with implantation is killing that baby.

Needless to say its a really dumb position.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr Interweb posted:

If you're a hardcore pro-lifer, you believe that life begins at conception, which occurs shortly before implantation. So while the fertilized egg is floating around waiting to implant, it's a baby, and if implantation doesn't happen, that baby dies. Therefore, birth control is murder.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Just a reminder: Don't be black and live in rural Alabama.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Agronox posted:

It didn't work last time. Bush was pretty pissed that his rich buddies hosed him over on this one, too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

If you're a hardcore pro-lifer, you believe that life begins at conception, which occurs shortly before implantation. So while the fertilized egg is floating around waiting to implant, it's a baby, and if implantation doesn't happen, that baby dies. Therefore, birth control is murder.

Note that birth control (probably) does not affect implantation. At least no more than the laundry list of medicines you aren't supposed to take during pregnancy.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Mr Interweb posted:

Plan B removes a possible consequence of sex for a female.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

Middle school, actually:

1. There is no evidence that Plan B blocks implantation.
2. Conception is defined as the meeting of sperm and egg to form a zygote, not implantation. So any product that blocks implantation (RU-486 might, no other emergency contraception does) is killing a baby.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

there wolf posted:

1. There is no evidence that Plan B blocks implantation.
2. Conception is defined as the meeting of sperm and egg to form a zygote, not implantation. So any product that blocks implantation (RU-486 might, no other emergency contraception does) is killing a baby.

And none of that matters because the psychos "**Believe**" otherwise.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Unsurprising. Dothan is so crappy that it's the butt of jokes from other Alabama residents.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mr Interweb posted:

The thing you have to understand is that the actual science and mechanics of these pills mean nothing to their opponents. They feel like using Plan B is abortion, which is the only thing that matters, even to the loving Supreme Court. (See: Hobby Lobby.)

vvvv EDIT: Sure does, but again, they don't give a poo poo.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 2, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay, so if I have this right:

- regular birth control pills prevent the sperm and egg combining to form a zygote, which is (grudgingly) supposed to be okay by pro-life folk.
- Plan B supposed to (or at least the pro-life folk claim it) stop the zygote from implanting in the uterus, which is NOT okay with the pro-life folk?

If so, then one question I have: I could be wrong here, but doesn't failed implantation happen quite often, naturally?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Plan B is basically just a whole bunch of birth control crammed into one chunk.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

If so, then one question I have: I could be wrong here, but doesn't failed implantation happen quite often, naturally?

Literally happens all the time. That's why IVF uses like 5 embryos minimum when implanting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

- regular birth control pills prevent the sperm and egg combining to form a zygote, which is (grudgingly) supposed to be okay by pro-life folk.
- Plan B supposed to (or at least the pro-life folk claim it) stop the zygote from implanting in the uterus, which is NOT okay with the pro-life folk?

Plan b is the same hormones in the regular birth control pills. Its something like taking 5 or 10 levonorgestrel only pills at once. (All modern pills use other hormones as well)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WampaLord posted:

Literally happens all the time. That's why IVF uses like 5 embryos minimum when implanting.

And there have been proposals to make women who have miscarriages guilty of murder. :v:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Well those times god wants it so its ok

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

Hormonal birth control prevents ovulation, no egg is released for sperm to combine with. This includes the daily pill, Plan B, the ring, the implant, the injection, patches, and a couple varieties of IUD. There's also a non-hormonal IUD that uses copper which is spermicidal. If an egg is already released then none of those things are going to be able to prevent it from combing with any sperm that may be around, and going on to implant in the uterine wall.

But that's all science and since when do pro-lifers give a gently caress about that? Basically anything that can or has been used as emergency contraception is considered an abortifacient, including the copper IUD. The logic is that failure to implant or miscarriage is in god's hands, but any steps taken to cause or just increase the likelihood of outcomes is deliberate baby killing that must be stopped.

And just to elaborate on how hosed this all is, a person's immune system will fight an embryo like any foreign body and there are some less reliable types of birth control that function by just hyping the system up and making the uterus less hospitable. The vast, vast majority of pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion before the 10th week, and most of those are early enough to pass as a regular period. If embryos have souls then heaven is made up of little jelly bubbles who god decided were never meant to be people for some reason.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 2, 2015

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

fishmech posted:

Nope, as the idea is good and the actual image is good.

Agreed. She's also at the very front of the bus. Directly behind the driver. ->

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
You forgot the last step. The slutwoman has to prove beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law that her miscarriage was not her fault.

Then it was God's miscarriage.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

You forgot the last step. The slutwoman has to prove beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law that her miscarriage was not her fault.

Then it was God's miscarriage.

Or she'll face 20 years in prison:

quote:

Patel told her doctors that she’d had a miscarriage and had left her stillborn fetus in a dumpster behind a shopping center. Still in his hospital scrubs, McGuire followed police cars to the scene and examined the fetus, which he pronounced dead on arrival. Patel was charged with child neglect, and later with killing her fetus, and on Monday she was sentenced to 20 consecutive years in prison.

The verdict makes Patel the first woman in the U.S. to be charged, convicted and sentenced for “feticide” for ending her own pregnancy, according to the group National Advocates for Pregnant Women (“NAPW”). Though Patel said she had had a miscarriage, she was found guilty of taking illegal abortion drugs. The Indiana statute under which Patel was convicted bans “knowingly or intentionally terminat[ing] a human pregnancy” with any intention other than producing a live birth, removing a dead fetus or performing a legal abortion.

(https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/01/indiana-woman-jailed-for-feticide-its-never-happened-before/)

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

Hormonal contraceptives prevent ovulation. That is what plan b and the like do as well. After ovulation and fertilization, the zygote needs to implant. It is the position of some that that zygote is a human baby, so something that interferes with implantation is killing that baby.

Needless to say its a really dumb position.

If you meet someone who believes this ask them how many babies the fertilized egg is.

If they say "1" remind them that identical twins, triplets, etc are a thing that happen when the cell blob accidentally breaks apart into multiple cell blobs.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr Interweb posted:

there wolf posted:

But that's all science and since when do pro-lifers give a gently caress about that? Basically anything that can or has been used as emergency contraception is considered an abortifacient, including the copper IUD. The logic is that failure to implant or miscarriage is in god's hands, but any steps taken to cause or just increase the likelihood of outcomes is deliberate baby killing that must be stopped.

Yeah the only thing that matters to them is if you take the pill before or after sex. If it's after, then you're actively trying to deny that child from being created. If you're just on the pill as a daily thing, then it's easier for them to accept.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

McAlister posted:

If you meet someone who believes this ask them how many babies the fertilized egg is.

If they say "1" remind them that identical twins, triplets, etc are a thing that happen when the cell blob accidentally breaks apart into multiple cell blobs.

And then ask them what color ribbon they use to raise awareness for miscarriage, the number one child killing plague on earth

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

800peepee51doodoo posted:

And then ask them what color ribbon they use to raise awareness for miscarriage, the number one child killing plague on earth

Remember, if these people had their way miscarriages would be investigated as possible homicides.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
When is the government shutdown supposed to happen this month?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

When is the government shutdown supposed to happen this month?

December 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hakkart posted:

Remember, if these people had their way miscarriages would be investigated as possible homicides.

And there have been proposals at the state level to do exactly this.

Also remember that the real reason behind all of this is simple: punishing women for having sex.

• Locked thread