Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I got gifted Infamous Second Son and played it for an hour or two last night. Now my previous experience with the Infamous franchise was playing the original at a GameStop for ten minutes and walking away underwhelmed so I went into this one completely blind.

The fascist enemies are way overdone and too mustache-twirling to take seriously, the main character comes across as profoundly unlikeable despite being played by Troy Baker channeling Aaron Paul, and the graphics definitely look like an early launch window game. But.....

The game is fun. It opens with you holding the controller sideways like a rattlecan and tagging a billboard by pulling a trigger button. Then there's some mild platforming, you start getting powers, and the first big setpiece comes up: a giant long destroyed bridge that your brother was driving on.

Moving across the bridge is incredibly fun and a great way to try out the movement abilities, it's just so fluid and intuitive. Then, for once, you get to the end of the bridge and your brother WASN'T tragically killed! It's not like you didn't have enough reason to want revenge on the fascist cops already so it was kinda great that they didn't just go for more manufactured angst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In Mad Max there are NPCs populating the map who will give you little side missions. One of the first ones I met was a mortally wounded man begging me to put him out of his misery...only halfway through his speech an enemy car spawned and drove over him, killing him instantly.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Shaking the controller in Infamous Second Son is forever one of my top 10 "little things in games". Whoever recorded and implemented that went above and beyond for something so minor.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chinaman7000 posted:

Shaking the controller in Infamous Second Son is forever one of my top 10 "little things in games". Whoever recorded and implemented that went above and beyond for something so minor.

Elaborate.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Xoidanor posted:

Elaborate.

In the part I mentioned above wrt tagging the billboard, you have to hold the controller vertically and shake it. The controller emits a perfect rattlecan rattle from the interior speaker and it's so realistic it gave me flashbacks to my high school hooligan days.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a whole graffiti minigame where you aim the controller sideways and use one of the analog triggers to spray paint.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

It's really and truly a "little thing", but caught me off guard with how much I looked forward to it. Weirdly satisfying.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

So a new Dwarf Fortress major release hit.

Elth posted:

Meet Gaval, the snowy owl man.

Gaval is kind of a hosed up individual.

Gaval tries to woo the bone doctor with the fantasy equivalent of drunken air guitar.

The woman is understandably unimpressed, so Gaval pecks her to death.

Gaval then runs into the nearby house and starts a spooky murder story...

Except, Gaval was phone was the murderer all along! The townsfolk were also unimpressed (and quite angry).

Of course, being a never-ending font of :spergin:, Gaval soon found himself arguing philosophy with a roaming goblin soldier.

The goblin, as it turns out, had more bite than bark. :haw:

BONUS: This is what my next character, a string instrument bard, spawned with. It weighs 31 pounds.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

scamtank posted:

I haven't seen something so completely impenetrable in my life.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inco posted:

I was reading the boatmurdered LP the other day because I'm a terrible nerd, and someone saw a screenshot when they walked by while I was away from my computer. They ran up to me panicking thinking my computer was dying or had a virus, and didn't believe anything was supposed to look like that.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Inco posted:

I guess it's a bunch of absurdly elaborate systems crashing together into something insane people watch happen to them? Like do you play this game or does it vomit Dagwood word cornucopias at you until your text person dies?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Inco posted:

Yup, par for the course when it comes to Dwarf Fortress.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

codenameFANGIO posted:

I guess it's a bunch of absurdly elaborate systems crashing together into something insane people watch happen to them? Like do you play this game or does it vomit Dagwood word cornucopias at you until your text person dies?

Both, sort of? There's a lot of mechanical skill to playing Dwarf Fortress, but at the same time the only reason to play it is to watch this weirdness happen. You will get better and better, creating greater and more complex fortresses, but there's no endgame. You simply build up something that eventually gets knocked down in some ridiculous and fantastic way.

I remember hearing it pitched as less of a game and more of an 'interactive fantasy world simulator', and that sounds about right. You're not playing to win, you're playing to make exactly these sorts of insane stories.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Just Cause 3: While I was grapple-leaping to the top of a police building, there was some barbed wire on the edge. Jumping through it, I found that it wasn't just a decoration, and it did in fact deal a little bit of damage. I appreciate that it wasn't cosmetic.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A lot of the reason why Dwarf Fortress has fallen to the wayside is because Minecraft happened and autists/NEETs had a game to lose themselves in that was simple to understand and didn't have a difficulty curve like a sheer cliff.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

It's really and truly a "little thing", but caught me off guard with how much I looked forward to it. Weirdly satisfying.

The PS4 controller light shines in the colour of the paint you're currently spraying too, which is neat.

Speaking of other cool things the PS4 controller light bar does, in GTA5 when you have a wanted level it flashes red and blue rapidly. :siren:

And in Peggle 2 when you get Extreme Fever it flashes through all the colours rapidly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inco posted:

I don't even see the code anymore, I just see blonde, blonde, brunette, redhead...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

scamtank posted:

My god, it's a libertarian snowy owl man.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Spalec posted:

The PS4 controller light shines in the colour of the paint you're currently spraying too, which is neat.

Speaking of other cool things the PS4 controller light bar does, in GTA5 when you have a wanted level it flashes red and blue rapidly. :siren:

And in Peggle 2 when you get Extreme Fever it flashes through all the colours rapidly.

In Killzone it's your health, fading from bright green through yellow to bright red, and in Rock Band 4, it does a little light show in time to the music. Some developers have been getting pretty creative with it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
In infamous it's blue if you're good and red if you're evil.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lots of games use it for neat things that no one ever knows about because it's literally impossible to see during normal play.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

haveblue posted:

Lots of games use it for neat things that no one ever knows about because it's literally impossible to see during normal play.

I usually play with the lights off so it changes the illumination on our coffee table.

Also the program I use to use DS4 on my laptop lets you assign custom colors to player profiles if you want to do that which is... Useless but neat.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Just Cause 3 - I really appreciate the game tracking stupid little achievements, and then letting me challenge people to beat my scores. I'm not at home, so I can't check the exact number, but I've ragdolled a distance of ~320m. The old record was like 80 :haw:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

I've had some chatter like them warning the others that I'm probably using a stealth boy (I was), and their taunts seem based on how much damage they've done. After taking a few dozen rounds that I survived through copious use of drugs they just started screaming about what it would take to just kill me already.

"How are you not dead!?"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

scamtank posted:

Holy poo poo Dostngosp Teachevils is the best name ever.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

carry on then posted:

In Killzone it's your health, fading from bright green through yellow to bright red, and in Rock Band 4, it does a little light show in time to the music. Some developers have been getting pretty creative with it.

I liked that in Destiny it will shine a bright white light (like, so bright I jumped a little when it first happened in the dark room I was playing in) if your character turns on their flashlight in a dark area, and will glow gold when you call in one of your super abilities (that basically all involve golden magic light shining everywhere).

Also, unrelated but I like how in Star Wars Battlefront, if you get shot while near death in an X-Wing, you'll occasionally hear an R2 unit's death howl, like when R2-D2 got shot by Darth Vader near the end of the trench run in the first film.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

this book a dwarf wrote is my new favorite little thing in a game. (not my screenshot)

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

haveblue posted:

Magicka 2 uses it to tell you which player is which controller, which is good when you only have 2 controllers and need a quick reminder which character you're stealing from your nephew when he won't just loving rez your other nephew.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Is that the junk rifle?

The rear end in a top hat skip conversations are definitely tailored to NPCs. I was in Vault 81 and skipping lines the Overseer was saying and my character went "some overseer..."

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Is that the junk rifle?

Yeap

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I had a random encounter in Just Cause 3 last night, where I came across a woman who needed her car towed to a service station. The service station was just around the corner, so I thought I'd give it a go, tethered her car to a random nearby car and off I went.

No problems, until I was approaching the service station, I realised I had no way of controlling the speed of the car being dragged behind me. I braked, hoping it would bump up into the rear of the car I was driving, but the angle was all wrong, resulting in the towed car clipping my back right tail light, flipping rolling into the service station, where it came to rest on its side, leaning on the fuel pumps.

I hopped out of my car just as the pumps detonated and destroyed the whole area in a massive explosive fireball, and flinging the womans car into the stratosphere.

On cue, I completed the job (the car was delivered after all) and Rico says with the most self satisfied smug voice "And that's how it's done." :smug:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-DQcI7byY

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just Cause 3

Down with DRM!

:allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just Cause 3

Been toying around with the physics engine. Tied a car front and back to two polls, stood on top, retracted the lines and detached at the apex to send myself and the car skywards like a slingshot.

We fly up and up and up...
And then turn over. Rico lands head first into the pavement and the car smashes him back into the ground.
He stands up and exclaims,
:smug: "Another perfect parking job" :smug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just Cause 3

Down with DRM!

:allears:

Ironically, the game uses denuvo DRM as well as whatever content delivery service you bought it on.

The physics fuckery is as good as ever, though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm replaying Super Mario 64 (it's pretty relaxing!) and my favourite 'little thing' has to be the soundtrack and ambience. It's just so cheerful and pleasant, despite being what amounts to polyphonic ringtones.

Listen to this vaporwave future classic :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6nOkdeNKs

It's hard to have a bad time in that game. Are sunshine/galaxy comparable?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkyQMqGTwvw

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

well why not posted:

I've never played Sunshine, but Galaxy is very much Super Mario 64 without those first-gen 3D camera problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

well why not posted:

I recall Sunshine being a very happy/upbeat game. The music is pretty good, with a clear carribean influence and meshes well with the setting.