Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

If anything needs to be cleaned it would be one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The Republicans have spent decades cultivating a voter base comprised of some of the lowest common denominator groups in order to win elections, and now it's biting them in the rear end:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/us/politics/wary-of-donald-trump-gop-leaders-are-caught-in-a-standoff.html?_r=2

I'm not great with politics in general and the US system is one big puzzle where all the pieces are the same color. Can someone give me a tl;dr on this?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
US Republicans have spent the last few decades not-quite-openly cultivating poverty stricken hate filled racists as their voter base.

Trump is the wet dream of poverty stricken hate filled racists and is gleefully courting their vote by being openly hate filled and racist.

The Republicans are now embarrassed that their "legitimate" politicians will be tarnished and get their arses handed to them in the next election because while people will tolerate dog whistle racism, open racism is enough to get everyone out and voting against them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Foxhound posted:

I'm not great with politics in general and the US system is one big puzzle where all the pieces are the same color. Can someone give me a tl;dr on this?

Republicans court the dumb, the disenfranchised, and the directionless, mainly because that's the only subset of people that are stupid enough to vote for them these days. Enter Trump, the biggest rear end in a top hat in politics, possibly ever, and he's exactly what republicans voters like. Only problem is the Republican party pretty much hates Trump, in the same way that Al-Qaeda is all "ISIS is too crazy, even for us!", and they're running scared now that their biggest nightmare might get the republican nomination and actually be in the running for prez.

It's Palin all over again, except republican voters have gone full-retard this time and "Palin" might win, and not just as vice-prez.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
A beaver yelps in horror when he realizes he's uncomfortably close to a skunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBSixNblakE

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's Palin all over again, except republican voters have gone full-retard this time and "Palin" might win, and not just as vice-prez.

Does Trump actually have a chance at the presidency, though? Or are you talking about the presidential nomination?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CommissarMega posted:

Does Trump actually have a chance at the presidency, though? Or are you talking about the presidential nomination?

I tend to agree with the Republican strategists quoted in the linked article, who are basically saying "if Trump's our nominee, we lose the Presidency and our majority in Congress".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If Bernie Sanders becomes the Democratic nominee, Trump will win anyway

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

A Trump nomination would likely lead to the decimation of the national party and significant-to-heavy rollbacks on state gains, starting a spiral that they may be unable to pull out of.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Teddybear posted:

A Trump nomination would likely lead to the decimation of the national party and significant-to-heavy rollbacks on state gains, starting a spiral that they may be unable to pull out of.

More and more it's starting to look like there's enough of the base crawling out of the woodwork to vote (or at least act like they're going to) that if Trump is the nominee it won't matter if all of the progressives vote, there just won't be enough of us :gonk:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I have a feeling that if Trump gets the nomination there's going to be a moment of "...o..oh gently caress he's actually the presidential nominee?". Like a joke that went wildly out of control and a ton of people supporting him now just don't vote. Even if Bernie gets the nomination, there's no way Trump wins it.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Dec 2, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly don't know anymore, I have a lot of Ex-family that unironically supports him, because "He says what we're thinking." I mean, it's hosed up that's what people are thinking, but I guess he has his finger on the pulse of the crazies.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If Trump wins, I am seriously, no joke, completely seriously thinking about moving to Canada. I'd rather live in a syrupy frozen wasteland than in Trumps Retarded States of America.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Testekill posted:

A pallette cleanser of sorts.

Attitude Indicator posted:

the only schadenfreude involved with wrestling is the people who post about it

ftfy

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If Trump wins, I am seriously, no joke, completely seriously thinking about moving to Canada. I'd rather live in a syrupy frozen wasteland than in Trumps Retarded States of America.

Wow I haven't heard this about every single presidential candidate in my lifetime. Good stuff.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mizuti posted:

I like how the skunk seems to go 'yeah, I know, just go away' and doesn't really do much. Must be used to it by now.

Teddybear posted:

Not to mention the Republicans have been known for the past few years as the Party that just screams about Obama to the point of not doing anything else. To have Trump leading really shows just how messed up the party is, and this doesn't even go into their sad politics of disenfranchising people.

That said, the real schadenfreude with this will probably come during the primary season, as if Trump wins then everything he has ever done (including his penchant for bankruptcy, conning people out of cash, his hair) will be flushed out big time. There's a lot on Trump that will possibly lead to his downfall in a very big way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CommissarMega posted:

Does Trump actually have a chance at the presidency, though?
No.

Data Graham posted:

If Bernie Sanders becomes the Democratic nominee
He won't.

American presidential campaigns are these insane media sideshows where a bunch of people who clearly know better do their best to convince everyone else that the unlikeliest of possibilities is exactly as probable as practical certainties. The election will be between Hilary Clinton and probably Jeb Bush, and unless the Republicans as a whole (and whoever their candidate is) manage to do an insane amount of damage control, Hilary will win.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-endorsement-primary/

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Mizuti posted:

That is from the movie Beavers, and if it is still on Netflix you should go watch it right now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SubjectVerbObject posted:

That is from the movie Beavers, and if it is still on Netflix you should go watch it right now.

Ah, it's a more kid-friendly film than I expected from the title.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We don't want you. Thanks for applying. Enjoy your new President.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, it's a more kid-friendly film than I expected from the title.

Anything produced by the Chubu Electric Power Company is quality kid's entertainment.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

RabbitWizard posted:

You have a speed limit between 100(km/h) and 120 on most of the autobahn. There are only some parts where you have no limit (but if you're faster than 130 and crash with someone driving below 130 you're at full fault insurance-wise, if you survive). There is a speed minimum but it's like 60 or something. Just saying so no one thinks the speed signs at the autobahn are the minimum you have to drive.

Another big difference in Germany. THEY loving MAKE YOU LEARN TO DRIVE BEFORE YOU GET A LICENSE. Literally anyone off the street in the US can walk in to a DMV and take a written test, score like 60% and boom, out on the road running into things.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Trump winning the nomination would be so delicious, I can't even put it in to words. Did you ever wonder what would make the most apathetic and largest non-voting group of people actually get off their asses and vote? Calling them all rapists and murderers is a pretty good start.

I'm convinced Trump is secretly a Democratic operative, using his last years on earth to ensure a Dem majority for the next decade.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

veedubfreak posted:

Another big difference in Germany. THEY loving MAKE YOU LEARN TO DRIVE BEFORE YOU GET A LICENSE. Literally anyone off the street in the US can walk in to a DMV and take a written test, score like 60% and boom, out on the road running into things.

There's been a 'practical exam' everywhere I've been licensed, which enhances your point, if anything.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ElGroucho posted:

Trump winning the nomination would be so delicious, I can't even put it in to words. Did you ever wonder what would make the most apathetic and largest non-voting group of people actually get off their asses and vote? Calling them all rapists and murderers is a pretty good start.

I'm convinced Trump is secretly a Democratic operative, using his last years on earth to ensure a Dem majority for the next decade.

The best thing is that when he loses you absolutely know he's going to drag it out forever and scream for recounts and voter fraud investigations while the GOP literally begs him to shut up and go away.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

That said, Trump is proof that it's not the message, but the messenger for a lot of voters. Obama tries to implement a program created by a Republican and gets screams of right-wing indignation. Trump supports far-left policies and his supporters cheer his honesty.

Maybe Trump represents the apex of partisan politics and poo poo will start to slowly get better from here.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
At the end of the day, the delegates that each candidate "wins" from the caucuses/primaries still have to vote for the candidate at the convention. Plus the parties can change their own rules for candidate selection. If it looked like Trump was seriously going to get the nomination, the RNC could take drastic measures and just select whoever the gently caress they want.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Didn't the Dems basically skip that part and nominate Obama right away for 2008? I thought Hillary made a stink about that or something.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

Not anyone in the U.S. In Illinois, you take a vision test, a written test and a driving test. Hell, I think even Texas requires a driving test and they're pretty big on ARE RIGHTS.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There's a vision test component to NC driving tests as well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Here's a short clip of a $4m car crashing in China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbr_aAu4uuM

Here's an article about it but you don't get that much more information: https://www.carscoops.com/2015/12/footage-emerges-of-chinese-koenigsegg.html

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

No.

He won't.

American presidential campaigns are these insane media sideshows where a bunch of people who clearly know better do their best to convince everyone else that the unlikeliest of possibilities is exactly as probable as practical certainties. The election will be between Hilary Clinton and probably Jeb Bush, and unless the Republicans as a whole (and whoever their candidate is) manage to do an insane amount of damage control, Hilary will win.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-endorsement-primary/

It isn't going to be Jeb!

If it isn't Trump, it'll likely be Rubio.

Scarf posted:

At the end of the day, the delegates that each candidate "wins" from the caucuses/primaries still have to vote for the candidate at the convention. Plus the parties can change their own rules for candidate selection. If it looked like Trump was seriously going to get the nomination, the RNC could take drastic measures and just select whoever the gently caress they want.

This would be even worse for the Republicans than a Trump nomination.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

My mechanic cousin jokingly posts these on Facebook all the time, I never thought someone would be stupid enough to take it seriously.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Not anyone in the U.S. In Illinois, you take a vision test, a written test and a driving test. Hell, I think even Texas requires a driving test and they're pretty big on ARE RIGHTS.

I could be wrong, but I thought that all states required a driving test to get a license.

You can get a Learning permit by taking a written test, but that requires you to be in the car with someone who has had a license for 5 years or more.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Teddybear posted:

In this case, I advocate that the Republicans devolve back into the Whig and Know-Nothing parties!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ayn rand hand job posted:

This would be even worse for the Republicans than a Trump nomination.

I know. :getin:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Apogee15 posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought that all states required a driving test to get a license.

You can get a Learning permit by taking a written test, but that requires you to be in the car with someone who has had a license for 5 years or more.

I got a license in Tampa about 8 years back and the whole process took about 3 hours with a lot of waiting around. The test was basically just "drive forward, stop at sign, back up, ok, now drive back and park, congratulations." Closed course, never exceeded walking-speed. Contrasted to here in Denmark where you'll have to do at least 15 hours on actual roads, including highway, before you're even allowed to take the test. Also, expensive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
At least where I am, you had to get your learner's permit, have it a while (and pledge you'd driven x number of hours with someone who had their license riding shotgun), then you could take the driver's exam which had a written and practical component.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Anosmoman posted:

I got a license in Tampa about 8 years back and the whole process took about 3 hours with a lot of waiting around. The test was basically just "drive forward, stop at sign, back up, ok, now drive back and park, congratulations." Closed course, never exceeded walking-speed. Contrasted to here in Denmark where you'll have to do at least 15 hours on actual roads, including highway, before you're even allowed to take the test. Also, expensive.

It's expensive here too if you want to do it right and sign your kid up for driver's ed (at least $350 - not sure if that's a closed course or open road instruction though).

We have some kind of weird relationship with cars where we're loath to revoke someone's driving privileges. A few months ago a local guy caused two tractor trailer trucks to wreck with one of them going over a bridge onto an interstate highway. Amazingly no one was seriously injured. His punishment? A $500 fine and a year of probation. It was his 6th motor vehicle infraction in 5 years. I get a lot of people need to drive to work, but if you are that bad a driver you should probably think about moving somewhere with mass transit - even if it inconveniences you.

Or maybe the judge is just letting the free market work because there's no loving way he can still get insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

veedubfreak posted:

This actually varies from state to state. Some states require you to take just a test, some require a full course with a certain number of supervised driving hours, others don't.