Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
She may have done that just for the rage messages because there's no way she hasn't gotten at least a few, ITS ABOUT ETHICS IN GAMES JOURNALISM openers with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Needs more pics

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Otisburg posted:

seems like weird to wedge into a one sentence summary that defines you in opposition to a twitter movement of weirdo dullards angry about videogames

like hey, i'm 30, work in sales, a gemini, not really a fan of the Klu Klux Klan, and a Presbyterian.

the people of this generation dont know what they stand for, but they do know what they stand against

It is a form of personal branding and symptomatic of our narcissistic society

Read TLP

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

the people of this generation dont know what they stand for, but they do know what they stand against

It is a form of personal branding and symptomatic of our narcissistic society

Read TLP

What is TLP? I'm always happy to read about culture and identity. :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Necc0 posted:

She may have done that just for the rage messages because there's no way she hasn't gotten at least a few, ITS ABOUT ETHICS IN GAMES JOURNALISM openers with that.
the profile pic was unremarkable but based on facial expressions she is 100% serious. about everything.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

quote:

Straight, Woman, Open relationship, 173cm, Fit

White, Speaks English and some French, Attended University

Never smokes, Drinks socially, Doesn’t have kids but might want them, Dislikes dogs, Dislikes cats

My self-summary
I'm in a long-term, open relationship and I'm seeking additional casual sex partners.

What I’m doing with my life
I work, cook, exercise, and have incredibly deep and meaningful conversations with my friends. I try my best to be as helpful as humanly possible.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
I'm an avid Margaret Atwood fan, and I also really like "The Guide to Getting It On" and "The Ethical Slut."

The six things I could never do without
1. Swearing
2. Exercise
3. Fruits and vegetables
4. Y'know.
5. Effective contraceptive methods
6. Cognizance

You should message me if
You should message me if you meet the following criteria:
a. you are not sending me a dick pic
b. you have a comprehensive understanding of feminism
c. you are comfortable with explicit conversation
d. you are familiar with polyamory/open relationships
e. you can come up with a haiku or a bitchin' pun. I can be wooed with these things... haik-wooed, if you will.
f. you don't pull the one- or two-liner bullshit wherein you say "what's up" or toss me a vague compliment. I'd like a well thought out paragraph of text, please. If you don't make me think, I'm not going to respond.

Strange Corollary: If you are physically disabled and want to pursue sex, let me know. I'm comfortable with (and desire!) "unconventional" forms of sex if you will, and I have also been physically disabled. As such, if you're pissed off at the world because people look at your cane/wheel chair/colostomy bag/stump and dismiss all of your attractive qualities, know that I feel you bro, and if you're a cool person, I'll probably find you attractive. I know it's a strange little thing to tack onto a profile, but I remember wishing people would give me the time of day when I was glaringly different.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Lol that's the chick who banged the pants making GBS threads retard isn't it?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

I can smell the furry.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

quote:

Straight, Demisexual, Queer, Woman, Genderqueer, Single, 168cm, Average build

White, Speaks English and French, Attended Masters program

Never smokes, Doesn’t drink, Doesn’t have kids and doesn’t want them, Aquarius
Looking for men, near me, ages 28‑38, for non-monogamous short & long term dating and new friends.

My self-summary
It was about time I overhauled this profile and started over! It's still me, obviously, but I've pared things down a little and made some updates.

Politically, I'm an anarchist. I have profoundly egalitarian ideals and spent several years involved in activist projects, union work, and collectively running an anarchist bookstore/library. After a few years' respite, I'm taking stock of where I'm at and where to direct my limited energy.

I've selected the terms "woman" and "straight" for search engine algorithm purposes, but the words don't feel right. In my own words I consider myself genderqueer and I tend to be interested in men. I lost interest in/got bored with sex for a few years and don't have a strong libido, but, if we have the right chemistry, I'd be open to exploring it again. I enjoy (negotiated) power-play and identify as a bottom.

I'm polyamorous: I believe one can love multiple people and maintain multiple ongoing, loving, committed relationships. This doesn't mean all my relationships look the same; it means that I'm open to exploring various kinds of connections with new people and I do not treat dating as a stepping stone toward monogamy. I am not into hierarchical poly configurations, which tend to treat non-primary partners as disposable, and I don't do vetoes or DADT. I do want to build romantic relationships and intimate friendships (lovers, playmates, cuddle-buddies) with single and non-single people who recognize me as an equal participant in the decisions that affect me. I am interested in building life partnerships, but recognize that those connections are rare.

I *love* the new poly book "More Than Two: A practical guide to ethical polyamory"; it is easily the most interesting and useful thing I've read on the subject thus far. If you need further convincing, it includes references to Emma Goldman, Neil deGrasse Tyson, *and* Douglas Adams! 'nuf said.

After spending too many years in school pursuing degrees in subjects that no longer brought me joy, I decided to try my hand at organic farming. I'm currently farming a small plot of rented land in the city but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it a viable long-term thing. Essentially, I'm trying to find a balance between my values and paying the bills, but in a way that doesn't bore, hurt, or exhaust me. I'm considering attending library school in 2016 to build a solid Plan C.

I love to grow, cook, preserve, and find creative ways to prepare food. I've worked in health food retail, sold my own produce and homemade preserves, and worked on organic farms. I have a couple of food-related jobs that shift with the seasons. My free time usually involves hanging out with friends, playing my banjo or manjo, cooking/canning/dehydrating food, or working on a variety of projects.

I’m really good at
Critical thinking while also being very open-minded. Reading books while walking. Empathy.

The first things people usually notice about me
My tattoos, usually. Also, my eyes and the fact that I'm always smiling. I've been told that I have a "sunny" personality.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
Books: Anything by Ivan E. Coyote, Dean Spade, or Douglas Adams. I feel drawn to material from/about the Appalachian region, such as works by Harriette Simpson Arnow and Mary Noailles Murfree. I like a lot of nonfiction as well, including Emma Goldman's "Living my Life" and various works on anarchist theory & practice (esp. Cindy Milstein), alternative relationships, discussions of gender/sexuality/queer issues, alternative mental health, prison abolition, some labour history, transformative justice, food politics... Oh, and Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. Obviously.

Movies/TV: I'm a sap for terrible rom-coms, and I really like British humour, sci-fi comedy, zombie and apocalyptic themes, and the occasional documentary.

Music: I'm generally pretty fond of DIY folk-punk, punk, folk, bluegrass... I love banjo music so much. Saves the Day and Chopin will always hold a special place in my heart.

Webcomics: xkcd, Homestar Runner (esp. Teen Girl Squad!), and sometimes PhD Comics.

Podcasts: Poly Weekly, The Ruminant, Vinyl Cafe, Grownups Read Things They Wrote as Kids, Tell Me Something Good...

The six things I could never do without
Audiobooks, audiobooks, audiobooks, audiobooks, audiobooks, and audiobook reader Luke Daniels. Seriously. Sometimes his voice is what gets me through the day. Without audiobooks, farming would be extremely boring. I listened to Neal Shusterman's "Unwind" at least 3 times this summer and will keep adding it into the rotation forever.

I spend a lot of time thinking about
Food & accessibility. Prefigurative politics & practice. The state of the world. Consent & boundaries. Accountability.

On a typical Friday night I am
Working, usually.

The most private thing I’m willing to admit
I'm not private about this at all, but in 2008 I had my tubes tied to guarantee that I will never bear children. Thank loving god.

I should also mention that I have a pretty terrible memory. I can usually remember how I felt about a book I've read or a movie I've seen, but it's pretty unlikely that I'd be able to synopsize it for you! UPDATE: I've recently discovered that I very likely have adult AD(H)D, which perfectly explains this and some other issues I struggle with. I'm not hyperactive in the sense you would think, but I definitely struggle with attention span, time management, seeing/understanding "the big picture", dissociation, and boredom.

You should message me if
You're welcome to message me if you think we might hit it off or find some sort of special connection, but I tend to ignore and/or delete (and/or troll) obnoxious or canned messages.

I want more people in my life who are trying to become the best possible versions of themselves, especially in terms of how they treat other people. My Myers-Briggs personality type is INFJ, which means I pretty much have a built-in rear end in a top hat- and bullshit-radar [believe it or not, AD(H)D can explain this, too] and prefer to spend my time with people who are honest, caring, genuine, sincere, etc...

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I always enjoy seeing that the "pared down" version of a profile is still 1000 words long. Also, getting your tubes tied in your early 20s lmbo

loquacius posted:

"i carry a lot of emotional baggage"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

paco650 posted:

Also, getting your tubes tied in your early 20s lmbo

the sooner you do it the more time you have to enjoy it

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

the sooner you do it the more time you have to enjoy it

I've heard that many places won't consider tubectomy or vasectomy without psych screening or a medical emergency. I've also seen a lot of people who get these kind of surgeries for medical reasons try to "own it" by going mildly insane, like becoming a polyamorous childfree genderblob in your 30s. I'm not judging, but I am loling.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The fact that she says her tubes are tied and then immediately follows that up with "I have a bad memory I don't remember poo poo lol" makes me wonder if she actually forgot to show up for the appointment and will get quite the surprise later.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

paco650 posted:

I've heard that many places won't consider tubectomy or vasectomy without psych screening or a medical emergency. I've also seen a lot of people who get these kind of surgeries for medical reasons try to "own it" by going mildly insane, like becoming a polyamorous childfree genderblob in your 30s. I'm not judging, but I am loling.
It's easier to get a vasectomy because it's a procedure that is easier to undo, but a lot of doctors won't do the tubectomy because it's pretty close to impossible to undo and a lot of women think they don't want kids ever at 22 then massively change lanes at 28. Then enough of them sue the doctor because "he should have known! He should have stopped me! :byodame:" to make it just not worth the potential malpractice suit.

I'm a dude so this is all second/third-hand information but I have a few child-free friends who like to tell me of their efforts & difficulties.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Yawgmoth posted:

enough of them sue the doctor because "he should have known! He should have stopped me! :byodame:"
lol nah, but enough people will believe any negative thing about women that this is a popular myth

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

tbh if you've reached the age of majority they let go into a recruiters office, sign a paper, and potentially be murdering people and risking all kinds of fangorious life-altering injuries a couple months later.

as far as weighty life decisions go, closing down your uterus to foetal occupancy and risking the buyer's remorse on it when you're 42 and making a facebook profile for each of your seven cats is pretty tame in comparison, but they try a lot harder to talk you out of that one

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm all for procedures that let me nut into more lady guts without consequence

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

vyst posted:

:yeah:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

vyst posted:

:sun:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Nut in that whale, boy

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
That got visceral.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

lol nah, but enough people will believe any negative thing about women that this is a popular myth

I'm willing to believe anything negative about America's madhouse legal system, and that a lawsuit based on "he should've known I'd change my mind one day!" doesn't seem very far-fetched, as far as popular myths go.

vyst posted:

:agreed:

im cute fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 3, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

quote:

Gay, Bisexual, Demisexual, Pansexual, Questioning, Androgynous, Non-binary, Other, Single, "A little extra" build

Native American, Speaks English and some German

Never smokes, Doesn’t have kids but might want them, Capricorn

My self-summary
I'm a geek ,I like books, tea an coffee enthusiast, talk to me I'm pretty shy an awkward at first an anxious,

Being happy

I’m really good at
Finding GIFs or photos to describe things,finding unique things, loosing train of thought, writing character fluff such as back stories

I spend a lot of time thinking about
Past stuff, mental health, how to help people, should I help people, am I a hero or the villain? Does this person like me? Am I bothering their existence? Lots of stuff

On a typical Friday night I am
Watching Netflix ordering probably pizza or or wonton soup , cuddling hopefully

You should message me if
Your interested

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

What amazes me is how often they look EXACTLY like i'd expect.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Native American," with no qualifiers.

Reeeeaaaaaallly milking the Cherokee Grandma angle, dude.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

We get it, you live in Ottawa

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

paco650 posted:

I'm willing to believe anything negative about America's madhouse legal system, and that a lawsuit based on "he should've known I'd change my mind one day!" doesn't seem very far-fetched, as far as popular myths go.
This plus having worked in retail and thus having seen a million different random acts of entitlement makes me more apt to believe that there are enough women that could potentially think this is a sensible course of action to make it a worry. I doubt it is a high number, and I doubt any of them would be successful, but it would still be a thing you would need to defend against.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

paco650 posted:

Also, getting your tubes tied in your early 20s lmbo

I tried it at 20. And 23. And 26. And now I'm almost 28 and the only thing not having them tied has meant is I'm stuck with lovely birth control pills. All age has done is convince me that I want babies now less than ever. Popping a BC pill isn't some magic baby eliminator without any consequences, oral contraceptives can have really nasty side effects. Women could suffer massive weight gain, violent mood swings, periods that can last 3 weeks or more, and all sorts of other horrible symptoms. It can even cause vaginal dryness and a reduced sex drive, making it a great birth control pill by making the woman never want sex anymore. Even other methods such as the IUD can gently caress with your hormones/sanity.

I do think that a psych eval and mandatory waiting until age 25-ish is a good idea, but that loving stereotype of women going "ICHANGEDMYMINDIWANTBABIES" is why most women never get to have the procedure done in the first place. Doctors will literally divert it with "you might change your mind" until you're menopausal.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Hug in a Can posted:

What is TLP? I'm always happy to read about culture and identity. :)

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Yawgmoth posted:

having worked in retail and thus having seen a million different random acts of entitlement makes me more apt to believe that there are enough women that could potentially think this is a sensible course of action to make it a worry.
"being an assistant manager at Best Buy has enlightened me to female entitlement"

rip the goons.txt guy.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cuckoo posted:

I tried it at 20. And 23. And 26. And now I'm almost 28 and the only thing not having them tied has meant is I'm stuck with lovely birth control pills. All age has done is convince me that I want babies now less than ever. Popping a BC pill isn't some magic baby eliminator without any consequences, oral contraceptives can have really nasty side effects. Women could suffer massive weight gain, violent mood swings, periods that can last 3 weeks or more, and all sorts of other horrible symptoms. It can even cause vaginal dryness and a reduced sex drive, making it a great birth control pill by making the woman never want sex anymore. Even other methods such as the IUD can gently caress with your hormones/sanity.

I do think that a psych eval and mandatory waiting until age 25-ish is a good idea, but that loving stereotype of women going "ICHANGEDMYMINDIWANTBABIES" is why most women never get to have the procedure done in the first place. Doctors will literally divert it with "you might change your mind" until you're menopausal.
get an IUD like everybody else, idiot

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Why can't she get her tubes tied? Who loving cares? If she wants to do it, why can't she?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

get an IUD like everybody else, idiot

I actually have brokenvaginaitis and an IUD would probably be a bad idea in my case, or at least more complicated to do than with regular women. Any hormones introduced at all fucks me up royally. I might even be naturally infertile :shrug:

Thankfully I found a BC pill that actually works (it controls my problem at the same time), but the point still stands that if I want to get my tubes tied, and am confident that I do not and will not want kids, some doctor thinking that I should poo poo out babies anyway is wrong.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cuckoo posted:

I might even be naturally infertile :shrug:

Problem solved??? :confuoot:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

loquacius posted:

Problem solved??? :confuoot:

Actually I'm seriously tempted to get fertility testing, just to see if I could go off BC pills altogether and never have to worry about condoms again (with known std-free partners) because that would rule.

But that's all besides the point. For some women with extra-sensitive bodies, hormones = bad. That could be the pill, an IUD, the implant, patch, anything. Imagine what would happen to men's bodies if your testosterone got hosed with. That is why getting your tubes tied should be a more accepted option and everyone who says "Oh, you'll change your mind" to women pushing 30 need to shut the hell up.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I can't wrap my head around doctors that refuse to perform these operations on people because they think that person may change his/her mind. gently caress that. Explain the risk, and then let the adult make an informed decision and deal with the consequences.

I got a vasectomy at 23. My doctor asked if I was sure, he explained the risks and difficulty of reversing the procedure, and that was it. No lectures, no condescending treatment, just giving me enough to make an informed decision.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cuckoo posted:

I actually have brokenvaginaitis and an IUD would probably be a bad idea in my case, or at least more complicated to do than with regular women. Any hormones introduced at all fucks me up royally.
all those copper hormones

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

all those copper hormones

"May cause longer/heavier menses" Why yes I want to have longer, more painful periods. The pain makes me stronger and I didn't need all of that blood anyway.

Also if you have a condition like I do, endometriosis (basically your period is all hosed up and the tissues form outside of the uterine area, implanting on random body parts and causing horrible pain and irregular bleeding. It can even fuse organs together) then I bet that would be even better! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also it can cause increased risk of yeast infections. Nothing makes a woman sexy like a chronic, unstoppable outpouring of cottage cheese

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
yeah you deffo have a condition

• Locked thread