Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
'im just writing the AST directly!!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

MeruFM posted:

do people unironically like lisp other than "there's some good stuff in here that may work in some specific situations"

i recently met a guy who's written an image processing tool kit that's 100k lines of common lisp. apparently some people like it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Plorkyeran posted:

no, that was bullshit that crockford made up. eich was hired specifically to do scheme in the browser, but by the time the project actually got started management had gone all gung-ho on java and insisted on something that looked like it

You couldn't just embed an interpreter that isn't designed for security into a web browser anyway. I have the feeling this was discussed already.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

sarehu posted:

You couldn't just embed an interpreter that isn't designed for security into a web browser anyway. I have the feeling this was discussed already.

in 1995 you probably could get away with it for a while as long as it at least vaguely tried to run in a sandbox

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's 1995, what's a sandbox?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

sarehu posted:

It's what my cat shits in

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

sarehu posted:

something mark zuckerburg still hangs out in

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MeruFM posted:

do people unironically like lisp other than "there's some good stuff in here that may work in some specific situations"

i don't like CL really. the implementations are really good and insanely fast but CL the language is insanely dated. SLIME is still a really cool IDE tho.

clojure on the other hand is a legit good language with a ton of cool features.

i'm pretty stuck on static typing these days though.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
prefix Dylan was a really nice language, and could have been just as fast as Common Lisp since it was basically Scheme plus CLOS with some of the historical baggage cleaned up

keyword arguments are actually keyword:, it only does lexical scoping, there's a simple naming convention for classes so you can write (point <point>) instead of (point point) when specifying arguments, nothing is outside the class system unlike CLOS (where that happened to a couple things by historical accident), and things are for the most part just cleaner

so of course the main order of business in 1994-5 was to turn it into a Pascal-like abomination in hopes that the day's developers would embrace it if it looked more like what they were used to, even though they'd reject it immediately regardless due to its Lisp-like behavior and system requirements

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
what would you say are the features that clojure provides that make it wortwhile to learn compared to other jvm langs? for instance, i wouldn't count immutable classes because that can be handled by case classes in scala (apart from the fact scala sucks as a lang) or a lombok @Value annotation in java etc

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
hello

i am a 5 figgy fucktard beta, so im not good at programming. in perl i want to write a contraption to break up an ip with series in perl

what i want to do is break this into two varialbes: say, 100.100.100.0/29. the goal is to be able to list the ips like

100.100.100.1 - gateway
100.100.100.2 - goatse enterprises
100.100.100.3 - goatse enterprises

etc etc

code:
split /[.,\s\/]+//\ $string; 
seems to split it, but i am not sure how to then access the two pieces of the string

i do not know perl at all. any help would be appreciated.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Map caps lock to escape, and use that to get out of insert mode. It's amazing unless you somehow have found a reason to hit caps lock on purpose, something I've never done after decades of computering. It's something I do immediately on every machine I own.

I rip the caps lock key off every keyboard I use

one day a coworker wanted to mstsc back into his machine and asked where it was

I said to just use shift

only the first character of his pw is a capital and he uses caps lock to enter it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

~Coxy posted:

I rip the caps lock key off every keyboard I use

one day a coworker wanted to mstsc back into his machine and asked where it was

I said to just use shift

only the first character of his pw is a capital and he uses caps lock to enter it

so many people do this in china and hong kong that i suspect it's how they're taught

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

du -hast posted:

hello

i am a 5 figgy fucktard beta, so im not good at programming. in perl i want to write a contraption to break up an ip with series in perl

what i want to do is break this into two varialbes: say, 100.100.100.0/29. the goal is to be able to list the ips like

100.100.100.1 - gateway
100.100.100.2 - goatse enterprises
100.100.100.3 - goatse enterprises

etc etc

code:
split /[.,\s\/]+//\ $string; 
seems to split it, but i am not sure how to then access the two pieces of the string

i do not know perl at all. any help would be appreciated.

you can just split into an array
code:
@stuff = split /\// $ip
and then just use $stuff[0], $stuff[1] etc. to access the individual parts

alternatively, just use a list and bind to the actual values:
code:
($base, $mask) = split /\// $ip

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
"hi gonadic io, thanks for providing your company's server's ssh public key. Could you please resend it in csv format?

Thanks,"

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I found out over thanksgiving dinner that I come from a long line of terrible programmers. my mom used to write fortran before I was born but couldn't get a job in it

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I found out over thanksgiving dinner that I come from a long line of terrible programmers. my mom used to write fortran before I was born but couldn't get a job in it

Same but my dad and BASIC.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

same but also cobol and she made bank from it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my dad is a high school music teacher, but he took a single class in basic in 1982 and his school principal found out and made him teach the high school's computer programming classes for a few years

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

same but my dad with lisp, my aunt with unix poo poo, my other aunt with prehistoric stats stuff

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah my dad is a lisper doesnt that explain a lot

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

he taught me lisp when i was a child. lmao

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013
my dad taught me that programmers are devious bastards that are not to be trusted

he's not wrong

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

travelling wave posted:

my dad taught me that programmers are devious bastards that are not to be trusted

he's not wrong

this is true of everyone with the possible exception of family members and close friends that you've known for at least 5 years

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Bloody posted:

a good dad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

child abuse

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

child abuse
swr

no parent should encourage a child to touch computers

my dad taught me how to safely hammer and saw wood as a child

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

my dad taught me logo when i was a kid which is apparently a kind of lisp? but i just used it to make cool pictures

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I did a powershell script for a thing and powershell is still kind of dumb because why didn't they just use c# syntax, but the one thing I do like is you can sign scripts and require signatures for scripts to run. that's cool and way better than Linux where the bad scripting language is not just the UI, but its unrestricted.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

swr

no parent should encourage a child to touch computers

my dad taught me how to safely hammer and saw wood as a child

also did those

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

same. i spent a lot of evenings talking in front of a mirror to untrain myself. now people are all proud about their lisp and stuff so I kinda wish i hadnt wasted so much time

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the update to vs2015 is very cool and good. nuget package management page is way more straightforward.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

I did a powershell script for a thing and powershell is still kind of dumb because why didn't they just use c# syntax, but the one thing I do like is you can sign scripts and require signatures for scripts to run. that's cool and way better than Linux where the bad scripting language is not just the UI, but its unrestricted.

It looks like you can do that with Python too.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

gonadic io posted:

"hi gonadic io, thanks for providing your company's server's ssh public key. Could you please resend it in csv format?

Thanks,"

Did you send the same thing back, but change the file extension to .csv?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VikingofRock posted:

Did you send the same thing back, but change the file extension to .csv?

Was tempted, but instead sent a polite "uhh what? I could do it I guess but are you sure that's what you want?" and then presumably he consulted a member of tech (or thought about it) and apologised. It doesn't pay to be sarky to service providers!

Those recruiters that are always calling the company asking to speak to random people and askingiof 1) they're looking for a new position themselves or 2) they need anybody for their team can go gently caress themselves though.

Maybe this is the wrong thread. Is the cjs thread still the chat thread or is it actually about jobs now?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

Was tempted, but instead sent a polite "uhh what? I could do it I guess but are you sure that's what you want?" and then presumably he consulted a member of tech (or thought about it) and apologised. It doesn't pay to be sarky to service providers!

Those recruiters that are always calling the company asking to speak to random people and askingiof 1) they're looking for a new position themselves or 2) they need anybody for their team can go gently caress themselves though.

Maybe this is the wrong thread. Is the cjs thread still the chat thread or is it actually about jobs now?

i think this is a good place to talk about tech job stuff of all kinds. knowing how the industry works is really helpful if you want to be less bad at programming.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yeah sometimes getting better at programming isn't the best way to improve your life - this is a thread to help terrible programmers regardless of and perhaps even despite of their ability to become better programmers

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
code:
block_used[(block>>3)] |= (1<<(block&0x7));
this is the kind of thing people hate, right?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

code:
block_used[(block>>3)] |= (1<<(block&0x7));
this is the kind of thing people hate, right?

maybe i have stockholm syndrome for bit-twiddling c, but that actually isn't too bad to read to figure out what its doing

but if you dont have a comment explaining why its doing that, then gently caress you

also use #defines for the 3 and 0x7 so its clearer about what those actually represent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Improvements are pretty ugly too:
code:
block_used[(block >> BLOCK_FIELD2_SHIFT) & BLOCK_FIELD2_MASK]  |= ((1 << (block >> BLOCK_FIELD1_SHIFT) & BLOCK_FIELD1_MASK);
You can do more tricks to make it smaller if you do this all with macros or something, but it's ugly either way.

• Locked thread