Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What are you trying to tell me, game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Wow, these rebels are getting ridiculous.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baron Porkface posted:

Why isn't this good enough to form Malaya? http://imgur.com/Bucjc0C

MrBling posted:

You need the uncolonised bits in your chosen area as well.

To be more specific: you're missing Sulu, the trio of islands to the east-north east, and Palawan, which is the long, thin island off the northeast. (TIL: The sourthern parts of Palawan were apparently part of Sultanate of Brunei in reality until 1749, when Spain annexed the island and it became part of the Spanish Philippines. So while it's weird by today's standards it's not actually ahistorical!)

Allyn fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 2, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Just tried playing as a released colonial nation in a Random New World. Apparently achievements are flat out disabled when you switch to a released colonial subject. I tried checking the in-game achievement list and it said "This game is meant to be played as Portugal" (my starting nation). Not sure if it also disables that achievement for conquering your former colonial overlord, but I already had that one. I just figured there might still be some minor achievements I was still eligible for, but oh well.

Random New World has no formable new world nations. That's not surprising, but it is disappointing.

Is there no way to control what government you become when you play as a released colonial nation? I know it's possible to be a republic, but I got stuck with a despotic monarchy.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, I've noticed that formables also disable achievements.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ehhhh... will AI HRE members add provinces to the Empire? I may just have hosed up preventing Italy from leaving the Empire.

e: I might be able to turn this around still, though.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 2, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Allyn posted:

You prooobably shouldn't be able to get events forcibly assigning an estate to a colony-in-progress... First run at ideas guy hosed because I got it literally 2 months into colonising my first province, instantly giving the nobility 85% influence, 4% disaster gain per month, and no way to revoke the province from them because the UI isn't available for it until it's a fully-fledged province :(

Can you just recall your colonist and abandon the colony?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I haven't played since before Art of War and got all the DLC in the recent sale, plus Cossacks.
My first question is, what's the deal with forts?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I haven't played since before Art of War and got all the DLC in the recent sale, plus Cossacks.

If you move into a province (that is not both owned by you and under your control) adjacent to a hostile fort, you can only move A) into the fort province or B) back into the province you came from.

Also, forts are a massive fuckton of warscore now, whereas non-fort provinces... aren't.

They also provide some army tradition in exchange for the monthly upkeep.

Edit: also, according to the check, forming a nation shouldn't disable custom nation achievements, but I guess I'll find out in my Himalaya -> Tibet game where I wanted a more unique flag!

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

Has cloud save syncing always been weird or did 1.14 break it? I started a cloud ironman yesterday on my laptop, played for a while, took a break and later continued the save on my desktop. Now I tried to continue on my laptop again but it looks like the save hasn't been synced from my desktop

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Forts pretty massively changed how wars are fought, you're not gonna want to carpet siege like you did before, a couple of notes-

Forts project a "zone of control" on neighboring controlled provinces that prevent enemy units from moving past. This means you have to siege down choke point forts before advancing, and gives real strategic depth since you can effectively wall off parts of your nation. Occupied provinces within a zone of control will flip back to their owner if no one's sieging the adjacent fort.
Attrition can be really nasty for sieging, best policy is usually to detach a siege stack (with as much artillery as you have handy) on the fort, then spread out the rest of your forces to adjacent provinces to occupy and loot as the siege progresses.
They now cost significant maintenance so it can be a good idea to mothball forts during peace time or delete entirely ones that are no longer relevant.
Fully maintained, upgraded forts will give you yearly Army Tradition, up to +1.0 though large empires will find it prohibitively expensive to maintain that many forts to get the max bonus.
Rebels won't do lovely things to provinces within a fort's zone of control, so are useful for controlling revolts.
Usually you can't take provinces in a peace deal unless/until you have captured a nearby fort.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Forts are also currently bugged, in my Nogai game I conquered Qara Qonylu and attacked the Mamluks to get Syria, I was in the process of sieging Aleppo, when the Ottomans DoW'd the Mamluks and simply moved past the Aleppo fort with their stack. I've seen some other instances where a fort simply didn't seem to have a ZoC for the AI. So yeah it's pretty broken right now.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I don't think "occasionally bugs out" equals "it's pretty broken", I've very rarely seen something like that happen.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Tahirovic posted:

Forts are also currently bugged, in my Nogai game I conquered Qara Qonylu and attacked the Mamluks to get Syria, I was in the process of sieging Aleppo, when the Ottomans DoW'd the Mamluks and simply moved past the Aleppo fort with their stack. I've seen some other instances where a fort simply didn't seem to have a ZoC for the AI. So yeah it's pretty broken right now.

I think if the fort is under siege by anybody, hostile armies are not affected and occupied provinces remain occupied. Makes sense.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
No it doesn't make sense at all, that fort in Aleppo blocked my access to Syria and the rest of the Levant/Egypt, meanwhile that Ottoman stack just walked past it and occupied provinces I couldn't get in a peace deal after.

The fort in Oman not blocking the Najd troops makes no sense at all either. Something is very very wrong when it comes to a fort's ZoC and AI armies.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tahirovic posted:

It's not just the AI, yesterday playing a multiplayer game I hunted down an enemy army across an enemy province, into a fortified enemy province (properly maintained), into another enemy province. The fortification system is simply applied inconsistently, which pretty much just breaks it whenever it happens.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tahirovic posted:

No it doesn't make sense at all, that fort in Aleppo blocked my access to Syria and the rest of the Levant/Egypt, meanwhile that Ottoman stack just walked past it and occupied provinces I couldn't get in a peace deal after.

The fort in Oman not blocking the Najd troops makes no sense at all either. Something is very very wrong when it comes to a fort's ZoC and AI armies.

I've never seen that particular set of issues, but occasionally one of my armies would get very confused and still be trapped in ZoC after the fort falls. It might have something to do with another adjacent unfriendly ZoC owned by another country, or that might just be confirmation bias.

Fortunately, mine solves itself after a save -> reload reminds the program to double-check the pathing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Fully maintained, upgraded forts will give you yearly Army Tradition, up to +1.0 though large empires will find it prohibitively expensive to maintain that many forts to get the max bonus.

Not at all, unless you're a shithole horde with a ton of autonomy. All you need to get the max bonus is 1 fort for every 50 development. 20 ducats per month for a 1000-development empire is nothing.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Might be too early but anyone have a good strategy for independent Hamburg? Their ideas own and the new map color is great.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Not at all, unless you're a shithole horde with a ton of autonomy. All you need to get the max bonus is 1 fort for every 50 development. 20 ducats per month for a 1000-development empire is nothing.

Depends, it'd be 20 ducats/month for the basic forts but once you tech into a fort upgrade that's doubling your maintenance and gonna cost 200 a pop for the building itself.

It gets a lot more expensive and difficult to maintain the max +1.0 AT bonus later in the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Depends, it'd be 20 ducats/month for the basic forts but once you tech into a fort upgrade that's doubling your maintenance and gonna cost 200 a pop for the building itself.

It gets a lot more expensive and difficult to maintain the max +1.0 AT bonus later in the game.

When you get late enough into the game that you have to upgrade your forts (MIL 14), money pretty much stops being an issue.

Also getting rid of the Hansa as a nation is good, but I really think there ought to be some way to simulate the Hanseatic League.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I just started a custom nation game in the new world for the achievements. My capital is in Quebec and I gave myself a bunch of land on the Labrador coast, too.

So why is most of my land apparently not counting as non-overseas? And why are my burghers pissed off that they don't have any land when they clearly do have land?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Drone posted:

So I just started a custom nation game in the new world for the achievements. My capital is in Quebec and I gave myself a bunch of land on the Labrador coast, too.

So why is most of my land apparently not counting as non-overseas? And why are my burghers pissed off that they don't have any land when they clearly do have land?

Burgher lands need to be 10 development or higher for them to count.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Burghers are pretty tough to please since the requirement of 10 development or 5 trade power to give them stuff is a pain in the rear end for many nations

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Do estates affect government forms at all? Like do strong burghers try to reform you into a republic?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Enjoy posted:

Do estates affect government forms at all? Like do strong burghers try to reform you into a republic?

Yes. Estates can launch coups if they get too strong.

az
Dec 2, 2005

So about estates, what makes them bleed loyalty over time? I couldn't recreate it in a test game but in my last actual game my nobility estate kept dropping loyalty. The weird thing is, I kept giving them land over their minimum demand, kept their influence below 80, did not ask them for anything that would decrease their loyalty, yet it kept going down. I can't find any documentation about this. :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Chickpea Roar posted:

Burgher lands need to be 10 development or higher for them to count.

This is, by the way, the primary use of the highly non-granular development map.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Having bought both common sense and the cossack expansion and getting back in to the game with some ottomans, is there any good advice when it comes to the development part of the provinces? Whats good to focus on and things like that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got an email from paradox saying that due to years of loyalty and being a good customer they were sending me DLC for free. I got excited it was Cossacks but it was a unit pack. I mean thanks, but, way to get my hopes up :(

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

is there anyway to reduce influence without revoking provinces?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shadiiw posted:

Having bought both common sense and the cossack expansion and getting back in to the game with some ottomans, is there any good advice when it comes to the development part of the provinces? Whats good to focus on and things like that?

Development is almost never worth buying because monarch points are too precious and it's a bad return on investment.

It's true you can stack a bunch of development cost reductions like the University building and you get discounts with technology. But here's how I look at it-- I could pay full price to develop early in the game and get that benefit for the whole campaign, or I could buy that development more cheaply halfway through the game and get half the benefit. Either way (unless Cossacks has massively changed the monarch point metagame which I doubt) it's Just Not Worth It except as a point dump.

The major exception to this is gold mines since pouring some production development into them is a good way to boostrap early game economies.

Development is cool as a better representation of the old base tax/manpower system but from a power-gaming perspective buying it is a point dump.

If you're gonna buy it though, of the three types tax is pretty lovely. Buy production in gold provinces and high-value trade goods, manpower in your "core" low-autonomy, accepted culture territory where you'll get full benefit.

Edit: though just before I made this post I spent a bunch of points to get provinces up to 10 development so the Burghers would calm the gently caress down.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 2, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also just to reemphasize it: you should be getting your Gold-producing provinces to 9 production ASAP. The income boost is absolutely massive, especially if you're a smaller nation. The inflation is worth it and is fairly easy to take care of.

The only other use of development that isn't mentioned above is throwing one or two points into a province just to get it to 10/20/30 total development to unlock a building slot, but that usually isn't a problem until later in the game. (also since provinces now have more slots by default)

There's some minor interactions with estates now too but I don't really think that will matter unless/until the estates get rebalanced. As it stands now the only real development that's worth it is to get a province to 10 dev so that you can give it to burghers/merchants/whatever.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Ok, ignore unless it's a gold province for the mad cash, got it!

Any other general advice for the two expansions? so much have changed since the last time i played.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Also just to reemphasize it: you should be getting your Gold-producing provinces to 9 production ASAP. The income boost is absolutely massive, especially if you're a smaller nation. The inflation is worth it and is fairly easy to take care of.

The only other use of development that isn't mentioned above is throwing one or two points into a province just to get it to 10/20/30 total development to unlock a building slot, but that usually isn't a problem until later in the game. (also since provinces now have more slots by default)

There's some minor interactions with estates now too but I don't really think that will matter unless/until the estates get rebalanced. As it stands now the only real development that's worth it is to get a province to 10 dev so that you can give it to burghers/merchants/whatever.

Good point on building slots, that's how I prioritize my point dumping. Okay, I have way too much DIP, where are some good trade value provinces that are close to a building slot upgrade?

Also unless it's changed recently the tooltip is slightly misleading or gold mines are bugged and you can get up to 10 production without running risk of depletion.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I still get quite a lot of utility out of it, even as non-western teams there are lots of times you'll want to develop your provinces. But it's not something to focus on or plan a strategy around.

e: yes 10 for gold mines, it works this patch too. As some teams (e.g. Morocco at the start) I'd be wary of going all the way though, the inflation does add up like crazy.

Elendil004 posted:

is there anyway to reduce influence without revoking provinces?

Nope. You have to plan ahead. I've found so far that the events are regular enough, usually you can teeter on the edge of a disaster fine for a while unless you went way overboard with influence though. Naturally this will gently caress me over some day however.

Baronjutter posted:

I got an email from paradox saying that due to years of loyalty and being a good customer they were sending me DLC for free. I got excited it was Cossacks but it was a unit pack. I mean thanks, but, way to get my hopes up :(

It's the Catholic Majors unit pack (looking at the files, Castile, Austria and Poland). I think there's supposed to be an Evangelicals one coming soon too.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 2, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Has anyone else noticed nations breaking their alliances for no reason? I started out as Jianzhou, with Korchin as an ally. I went to war with Haixi without calling in my ally, and when I annexed them my alliance with Korchin just vanished into thin air. I didn't get a message that they broke the alliance, they don't have a peace treaty towards me, and I don't have a relations penalty against them for breaking the alliance. It's like I was never allied with them in the first place. Is this a bug?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Shadiiw posted:

Ok, ignore unless it's a gold province for the mad cash, got it!

Any other general advice for the two expansions? so much have changed since the last time i played.

Make sure you understand how forts work, and use the Forts mapmode before you start a war to see where your enemy's forts are so you can have at least a general plan of attack going in. I've only messed with Cossacks for a couple of hours so I'm not 100% on the newest changes to them, but as I understand it they now function in a more obvious way, basically acting as chokepoints (they used to have strict rules about entering/leaving their zone of control that as far as I can tell have been relaxed a bit). But if you're fighting a big nation you'll want to keep their fort situation in mind so that you don't find yourself stuck in some lovely mountain provinces trying to siege down a fort or two while the enemy runs around you and causes havoc to your provinces.

VDay fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 2, 2015

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I actually, as castile, had portugal break the alliance because I marked Morocco as mine. So now I'll just declare on portugal gently caress them...but nice to see that AI pays attention to what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah the reworked diplomacy and estates definitely add something to manage during not-war.

How balanced/fun/useful estates are I really can't say yet

• Locked thread