Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Angry Grimace posted:

The lady gives her poo poo and refuses to let her leave until she's really steeled her resolve to be as mono-red as possible and give in to her sense of duty and use her powers for the forces of good.

The reddest of red redness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

gently caress you lady and gently caress your poo poo, I'm going to do it because you pissed me off. (Also because I feel baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't wait to see how they retcon werewolves back in. DFCs are definitely coming back. Half the reason we're going back to Innistrad so soon is that DFCs were so popular that they wanted to bring them back ASAP. The other half is that Innistrad's themes resonated with players very well, so they knew the set would sell amazingly.

If DFCs come back they'll probably use a different flip condition than the no-spells/two-spells thing the werewolves did in the original Innistrad.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

If DFCs come back they'll probably use a different flip condition than the no-spells/two-spells thing the werewolves did in the original Innistrad.

When a creature dies, transform X seems pretty good, they're giving into their bloodlust. And then then the transform condition for the other way around is no creature dies for a turn, sun came up.?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Serperoth posted:

I was gonna say that, it would be a neat effect. But I doubt we'll see it, because feelbads.

Switch the wording around to turn feelbads into feelgoods.

"As long as you have 6 or fewer cards in your graveyard, this card is better"

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Count Bleck posted:

That's fine. Print a not poo poo Chandra, thanks.

Chandra, gently caress You (3RR)

+1: Draw a card, then discard a card at random.

−4: Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded Chandra, gently caress You deals damage equal to the number of cards in target player's hand to that player.

−6: Gain control of all creatures until end of turn. Untap them. They gain haste until end of turn.

[1]

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Frozen_flame posted:

Chandra, gently caress You (3RR)

+1: Draw a card, then discard a card at random.

−4: Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded Chandra, gently caress You deals damage equal to the number of cards in target player's hand to that player.

−6: Gain control of all creatures until end of turn.
[1]

FTFY

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't wait to see how they retcon werewolves back in.

The cursemute is defeated when Avacyn gets trolled on the Inninet and she realizes the real evil is man.

Alternatively, going by her M15 card being smaller than her AVR one, she shrank and shrank until she was no more.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Hey who wants to guess they were going to have one Eldrazi titan in each set of the block but then they switched to the two block paradigm and were like well poo poo

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Maybe we'll finally get WWWB Avacyn like we deserved

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Flashback has basically infinite design space and I seem to remember reading there were a bunch of designs they didn't get to use.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Flashback has basically infinite design space and I seem to remember reading there were a bunch of designs they didn't get to use.

Also it's really, really fun and good

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
More cool (un)commons with offcolor flashback plz.

Alternately, print actual multicolor cards with flashback.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Shadows over Innistrad sounds like a Shadows over Innsmuth deal... Are we expecting Eldrazi, or Sorin angst (tried and failed to seal them) or both?

Also, Is Nahiri Avacyn?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

We're just expecting merfolk.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

magistermystax asked: How do you shuffle during playtests? Don't most shuffling methods often take the stickers off cards?

The stickers make cards clump, so we normally pile shuffle.

:psyduck:

I guess he could mean clump as in hard to riffle but thats kinda badly worded v:shobon:v.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gensuki posted:

Shadows over Innistrad sounds like a Shadows over Innsmuth deal... Are we expecting Eldrazi, or Sorin angst (tried and failed to seal them) or both?

Also, Is Nahiri Avacyn?

DFC Humans that turn into Merfolk.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Angry Grimace posted:

Gimme a legendary blue or blue/green Mother Hydra, hail Dagon :kheldragar:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Print some DTF werewolves.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Gensuki posted:

Also, Is Nahiri Avacyn?

Nope.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't wait to see how they retcon werewolves back in. DFCs are definitely coming back. Half the reason we're going back to Innistrad so soon is that DFCs were so popular that they wanted to bring them back ASAP. The other half is that Innistrad's themes resonated with players very well, so they knew the set would sell amazingly.

Wolfir who transform back into humans?

e: or humans that can swap freely/peacefully

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

We're just expecting merfolk.

Fishmen are totally in line with Lovecraftian Horror so missing out on this glorious opportunity to print a third Lord of Atlantis more cool cards for my favorite Modern deck will be swell wizards.

But mostly that third Lord of Atlantis

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Make a BG Merfolk lord that taps for G and run CoCo in your Merfolk decks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThePeavstenator posted:

This, basically.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Skyl3lazer posted:

The point is that the reminder text doesnt mention that A) the card is exiled B) it's exiled as a replacement effect or C) There's a second triggered effect as well as the replacement.

You can stifle a card with madness that's discarded. If you do, the opponent never has the chance to cast it, and it'll remain in exile. This type of interaction isn't common, but it's the type of thing that can quite possibly come up in a game and totally mess with the expected outcomes.

Here's one that could actually happen:

1) You cast a spell that has a discard as a cost: Tormenting Voice

2) As part of the cost, you discard Basking Rootwalla, a card with madness. It gets exiled as a replacement effect.

3) In response to the madness trigger, I cast Ulamog's Nullifier, put the Basking Rootwalla into your graveyard, and counter the Tormenting Voice.

You'd no longer be able to use the trigger to cast the Rootwalla for its madness cost. You'd also have 0 idea this was possible from the reminder text.

e; Also, it's a may on the replacement! So if you thought I might have the nullifier, you could choose to not exile it!

Is that true though? I admit I'm shaky on the rules though but I like learning about these goofy interactions. The casting of the madness card (from how I read the ruling you quoted) isn't based on the card being in exile, it's based on the player having exiled it. And for you to have processed it, it had to have been exiled. Or would it fail to cast due to the trigger losing track of the card since it switched zones?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

You mean UG? Because a golgari merfolk isn't going fit too well into that merfolk deck.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Ramos posted:

You mean UG? Because a golgari merfolk isn't going fit too well into that merfolk deck.

I acutally meant UG Merfolk lord that taps for G for each Merfolk you control

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Hey who wants to guess they were going to have one Eldrazi titan in each set of the block but then they switched to the two block paradigm and were like well poo poo

You know what I'd love to see? Kozilek comes back in OotG, then we go to the next block, and in the second set of that block Emrakul attacks. I like Magic's villains, Phyrexia's attack on Mirrodin was cool, I'd like to see more of that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThePeavstenator posted:

I acutally meant UG Merfolk lord that taps for G for each Merfolk you control

Also, a 1/2 Merfolk that makes target land an island. Draw a card.

All of these things forever.

Chamale posted:

You know what I'd love to see? Kozilek comes back in OotG, then we go to the next block, and in the second set of that block Emrakul attacks. I like Magic's villains, Phyrexia's attack on Mirrodin was cool, I'd like to see more of that.

Give it like another year. That is how long it will take for Phyrexia to figure out how to planeswalk. Venser made loving blueprints for the technology, all we need is Karn to be even dumber than we give him credit for and bring Venser's body back to New Phyrexia.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I still want to see two of the three of Bolas, Phyrexians, and the Eldrazi fight each other. Villains fighting other villains rules.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

UUUU gently caress You, I Like Merfolk

All lands become Islands in addition to their other types until end of turn. Exile the top 10 cards of your library. Put all Merfolk cards this way onto the battlefield, they gain haste. Exile those cards at the end of turn.

Also draw a card because gently caress you.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Delver of Depths-human wizard-U
At the beginning of your upkeep look at the top card of your library. You may reveal that card. If an island was revealed that way, transform Delver of depths
1/1

Gibbering Merfolk-human merfolk
Islandwalk
3/2

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also everything I read about Time Spiral block makes it seem like the best set ever. Even if it wasn't a major release, I'd still love to see more stuff like that. Alternate frames, crazy color pie breaking stuff, random mechanics that may/may not ever show up again, etc.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

alansmithee posted:

Is that true though? I admit I'm shaky on the rules though but I like learning about these goofy interactions. The casting of the madness card (from how I read the ruling you quoted) isn't based on the card being in exile, it's based on the player having exiled it. And for you to have processed it, it had to have been exiled. Or would it fail to cast due to the trigger losing track of the card since it switched zones?

I think it would fail for that reason yes, even though the trigger doesn't target it likely loses track. Processing hoses a lot of mechanics now that I think about it: suspend cast triggers, hideaway cast triggers, imprint...

e: Yeah I'm convinced the you may cast trigger will just do nothing. That is how the miracle cast trigger works if the card has left your hand.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 2, 2015

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

alansmithee posted:

Delver of Depths-human wizard-U
At the beginning of your upkeep look at the top card of your library. You may reveal that card. If an island was revealed that way, transform Delver of depths
1/1

Gibbering Merfolk-human merfolk
Islandwalk
3/2

Make the front a human merfolk and the back side a 3/3 merfolk mutant with no other abilities. Thats good enough to see play.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

alansmithee posted:

Also everything I read about Time Spiral block makes it seem like the best set ever. Even if it wasn't a major release, I'd still love to see more stuff like that. Alternate frames, crazy color pie breaking stuff, random mechanics that may/may not ever show up again, etc.

It was the best set ever to the kind of person who posts about Magic on the internet during their spare time. To someone who plays Magic casually, it didn't go over well.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah, it IS easily the best set ever if you are heavily invested in magic, but if you are just an on again off again tabletop warrior, than it was incomprehensible.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
It seems to me if you're a casual player who don't really pay attention you'd just buy a couple of boosters and get some sweet cards with a lot of cool looking abilities

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

netcat posted:

It seems to me if you're a casual player who don't really pay attention you'd just buy a couple of boosters and get some sweet cards with a lot of cool looking abilities

No what you get is a bunch of cards with walls of incomprehensible text.
For example, Errant Ephemeron:

Great card, but when every card is this complicated, casual players get scared off. And by casual I do not mean kitchen table, I mean the type of player who has one deck, that is usually 5 colors with 19 lands and is mostly 7 drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

Fishmen are totally in line with Lovecraftian Horror so missing out on this glorious opportunity to print a third Lord of Atlantis more cool cards for my favorite Modern deck will be swell wizards.

But mostly that third Lord of Atlantis

Shadow Over Innsmouth is an HP Lovecraft story about how the townsfolk in Innsmouth are actually worshipers/descendants of C'thulu and its spawn who are born as humans and transform into fish people when they get older.

Madmarker posted:

No what you get is a bunch of cards with walls of incomprehensible text.
For example, Errant Ephemeron:

Great card, but when every card is this complicated, casual players get scared off.

I had a few casual players get upset in BFZ sealed due to random text everywhere, especially Devoid. They simply couldn't fathom why its important or whether they were supposed to keep track of it.

• Locked thread