Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

i think this got posted in the old thread before sc came out, but some guy translated the prologue to 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzk8LWJOk_8

Kevin's boss is the main character from the carnelia books in FC, that's cool as heck

Not to complain about the guy's work, but I'm guessing that "Lionford" is supposed to be "Reinford".

And the ship name should be Merkabah.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Slur posted:

If you have not played it, you should play it. If you are on the fence about playing it, know that the dubbing is hilariously 90s Saturday Morning Cartoon and strap in for a really fun ride which has aged extremely well.

I dunno, I feel like the voice actors fit that mold but the way they deliver a lot of the dialog just feels a bit too awkward to me. It's kind of the same way I feel about the dubbing in Gurumin, to be honest.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Or it would have, had WD not hosed with the difficulty to the point of it being nearly impossible soon after starting.

Why did Working Designs always gently caress with the difficulty of Sega CD games, jesus christ

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Goddamnit, no better feeling than beating the final boss of chapter 7, watching the long-rear end cutscene, setting up my party (and I always take forever doing this) and then realizing I missed two data quartz in the last tower. Whee, time to do the last hour over again. Luckily the boss was easy as pie at least.

Relatedly, these towers have some of the most obnoxious dungeon design yet. Because it's all teleporters there is literally no way to piece the dungeon together by just looking at it, you just have to try everything, hope for the best, and backtrack when you inevitably find the exit first.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The treasure chest guide on Steam has good maps for those.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
At least they were kind enough to let you know in advance there was gonna be a boss (and thus no further opportunity to explore the tower) by placing an orbment charging station right next to the final teleporter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What kind of game is Trails of Cold Steel, anyway?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

video

It's like Sky but with a social sim element like Persona bolted on

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's a calendar system in CS, not sure about CS II. It's not restrictive though, you do whatever then choose to let the day end. There's also (non-romantic) relationship building, but that was intoduced in Zero.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

At least they were kind enough to let you know in advance there was gonna be a boss (and thus no further opportunity to explore the tower) by placing an orbment charging station right next to the final teleporter.

And additionally, the accessories you find in the tower also act as a warning what status effects the final boss favours. Thanks to that, I was able to prepare properly on my first attempts.

On the downside, I have reached a tricky part of Chapter 9 - the Axis Pillar roof. Unfortunately, my plan of using Kloe's S-Craft to tank damage failed when the boss's S-Crafts are able to one-shot her from full health, even with HP 5 and Defense 5 gems. ... I guess I'll go grind her up to level 90 then.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

90 is too low.

Try Father Kevin instead. His S-Craft is better for tanking and he's a lot tougher than Kloe.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nah im pretty sure i went into the final boss rush at 90, if not lower on some

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I finished the game around 92.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Does anyone have a 100% save for TitS FC? The file that Cake Attack posted early in the thread doesn't exist anymore it seems.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'll upload mine when I get home if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

And additionally, the accessories you find in the tower also act as a warning what status effects the final boss favours. Thanks to that, I was able to prepare properly on my first attempts.

On the downside, I have reached a tricky part of Chapter 9 - the Axis Pillar roof. Unfortunately, my plan of using Kloe's S-Craft to tank damage failed when the boss's S-Crafts are able to one-shot her from full health, even with HP 5 and Defense 5 gems. ... I guess I'll go grind her up to level 90 then.

That seems weird, I remember Loewe's ice sword S-Craft hitting everyone for 8000 or so, but you should be able to survive it fine if everyone is at full health. I also finished the game at 92, but a couple of levels shouldn't be making that big a difference.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's quite possible to get to right before that boss at like level 86 or so, though. And, well, 6 levels do add up.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Also I just beat SC a few days ago so I guess I'll post a few random musings while I still remember.

-The last dungeon was fun and had cool music, and I appreciate that it was pretty linear compared to the annoying shithole final dungeon from FC.

-Like several people have mentioned, both Renne fights were pretty awful, both the first one with the petrify spamming laser robots and the second with the giant robot that can resurrect her at will.

-Mueller is awesome, his craft that lets him drag enemies across the screen to his location owns, and his S-Craft has pretty much the coolest animation of any attack in the game.

-For the bosses that create duplicates of themselves, I like how if you use your head there are multiple ways to tell which is the real version and which are the fakes.

-Kind of disappointing that they couldn't resist the trope of the villain being overcome by the power they seek and turning into a giant monster thing, but JRPG's gonna JRPG Edit: also mysterious coolguy villain becomes a good guy at the end and nobly sacrifices himself to help the heroes

-As usual, they managed to genuinely surprise me a few times. A surprise appearance from Colonel Richard of all people was the last thing I would have expected.

-Speaking of, I like how some seemingly mundane sidequests end up going unexpected places. The surprise boss fight against Colonel Cid was a lot of fun.

-I'm not sure I could have beaten this game if I had missed the grail lockets.

-Making you run through the drat Zeiss tunnel in the dark is bs. I had the night vision goggles but that poo poo was still annoying :argh:

Selane fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 3, 2015

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any missable chapter 2 things that don't show up on the boards?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Is there any chance of SC's price on the PSN shop going down anytime soon?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Selane posted:

That seems weird, I remember Loewe's ice sword S-Craft hitting everyone for 8000 or so, but you should be able to survive it fine if everyone is at full health. I also finished the game at 92, but a couple of levels shouldn't be making that big a difference.

That would explain it, then, as Kloe only has 7829 HP (and is level 81). Estelle is at 91, Agate is at 84. (I'm so high with Estelle because I cleared out an entire group of Shining) Poms and everyone got 9999 XP.)

Grinding it is. EDIT: Okay she just gained 6 levels and Agate 4. 8900 HP is probably a bit better.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 3, 2015

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Luckily, "grinding" actually just means "find poms and spam death scream" and ten minutes later, whoops grinding done. I wish every RPG had it this easy to level up your underleveled guys.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Amppelix posted:

Luckily, "grinding" actually just means "find poms and spam death scream" and ten minutes later, whoops grinding done. I wish every RPG had it this easy to level up your underleveled guys.

Spam Dragon Dive :eng101:

That poo poo is why I'll defend Wild Rage 2 to my last breath. poo poo's busted.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Broose posted:

Does anyone have a 100% save for TitS FC? The file that Cake Attack posted early in the thread doesn't exist anymore it seems.

Level 38 max BP FC save: http://www.filedropper.com/svdat020

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
there's a video of 3rd where every single random encounter in part of the final dungeon is just Agate's First Turn: Wild Rage 2 -> Dragon Dive

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Finally finished! I'm almost afraid to start looking at how much I missed. The sheer number of small scenes and extra bits of dialogue everywhere is pretty astounding. My only real complaint is having way more characters than spaces to use them. I was never allowed to be shallow and assemble Team Dreamboat. Mueller, Olivier, Father Kevin, and Zane. It would even be a pretty solid team!

Father Kevin with a grail locket and a gladiator belt carried my rear end all the way through the final part of the game. Good lord can that guy give a team staying power.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Amppelix posted:

Luckily, grinding means finding any random encounter and anyone more than 5 level behind gets 9999 EXP (final chapter of course). Poms are just gravy.

E: which formation even has poms in the last chapter? I never saw one. To be fair, I was running the stealth quartz whenever I didn't need to catch up someone.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Omobono posted:

Luckily, grinding means finding any random encounter and anyone more than 5 level behind gets 9999 EXP (final chapter of course). Poms are just gravy.

E: which formation even has poms in the last chapter? I never saw one. To be fair, I was running the stealth quartz whenever I didn't need to catch up someone.

White octopus thing.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Cake Attack posted:

i think this got posted in the old thread before sc came out, but some guy translated the prologue to 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzk8LWJOk_8

Kevin's boss is the main character from the carnelia books in FC, that's cool as heck

So, I made this! Well, I edited the translation and made the subtitles. The translation was done by a user I met on tumblr who's first language wasn't mandarin (since this is the chinese PC port of the 3rd) or English. As for all the terms being incorrect, I blame that 100% on the translator not letting me know that they were reoccuring characters, or ones that already existed in the games. This was also made a few months back before SC was released, so that's how I missed them :v:

Fake Edit: and looking back on it before I had seen how SpaceDrake and XSEED officially localized Kevin's character, I think I did a pretty decent job in giving him a similar kind of voice.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

That happened to me. I had to bring everyone to around level 91. Boss fights were kinda cake after that. Pillar roof was tough, but wholly beatable.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

White octopus thing.

Specifically, use the very last white octopus in the final Liberl Ark Tunnel. You can run to it easily from the final part of the dungeon, then you just run into it and flee if it doesn't have poms, Get some distance and repeat until you are fighting 6 poms. One Dragon Dive later and it's 9999 exp for anyone under 85. Try to get initiative so you can wild rage if need be.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
And I'm done SC. It was an order of magnitude more ambitious that FC was, which is certain saying something. Pretty fantastic game. I guess I'll just play the route-split alternate path, then probably take a little break.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

And I'm done SC. It was an order of magnitude more ambitious that FC was, which is certain saying something. Pretty fantastic game. I guess I'll just play the route-split alternate path, then probably take a little break.

Cold Steel sounds like it's not that far off!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Levantine posted:

Cold Steel sounds like it's not that far off!

Winter 2014.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Slur posted:

Winter 2014.

12/22/2015: http://www.trailsofcoldsteel.com/

edit: this too: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/12/03/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-gets-a-new-release-date/180587/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleh. I really want to get into SC but the "there are ten billion easily missable things" thing is kinda tiring and makes it hard to play casually. I'm pretty willing to give up on max BP at this point but is there anything otherwise I should keep an eye out for?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Bleh. I really want to get into SC but the "there are ten billion easily missable things" thing is kinda tiring and makes it hard to play casually. I'm pretty willing to give up on max BP at this point but is there anything otherwise I should keep an eye out for?
it's pretty easy to play casually, by just ignoring stuff you don't feel like doing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Get the Gambler Jacks and make sure you get both Zemurian Ores.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Levantine posted:

Get the Gambler Jacks and make sure you get both Zemurian Ores.

Zemurian Ores?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Really Pants posted:

90 is too low.

Try Father Kevin instead. His S-Craft is better for tanking and he's a lot tougher than Kloe.

In retrospect, I'm not quite sure how I got to that fight with 89/89/84/83 with Kevin and Kloe and had no issues any of the multiple times I've done that fight (except when I brought level 81 Josette, but eh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Zemurian Ores?

It's what you get for collecting all the Gambler Jack books and turning them in. If you have one, you can use it to get a second piece early in the finale. You make weapons with it.

You also get a piece on NG+, but NG+ is currently bugged to delete all the gear and quartz that anybody was wearing at the end of your last game, so I recommend holding off on it for now.