Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo games don't drop in price ever even in retail though. There are launch WIi U games that are still $50.

This isn't true, Xenoblade is probably the second wii-u game I paid full price for. The Only other one I paid full price for was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I've got everything else worthwhile on the system for around 35 bucks and under. Including Pikmin 3.

Toysrus routinely has nintendo game sales like every other week or so.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It doesn't usually go below 30 bucks for first party games tho.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It doesn't usually go below 30 bucks for first party games tho.

I bought Super Mario 3d world, New Super Mario Wii-U, and Super Luigi U all for 20 and under. Same with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress NoE? The UK launch trailer is basically FILLED with giant spoilers. Including a massive end-game reveal. If you don't want to spoil the plot for yourself, stay the hell away from it.

I already knew, but gj NoE.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
OP has been updated with NNID list and removal of trailer.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My hard drive isn't gonna be here until next week, if I start the game without the packs and then download them later that's fine right? I would assume the answer is yes but since this is Nintendo I'd like to make sure they didn't do something stupid to interfere with save files.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I paid £6 for Metroid Other M

:smith:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
im excited to play this game

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Farg posted:

im excited to play this game

:yeah:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's getting painful watching people in the EU who got the game early struggle so much, and they're all people who are playing for the first time while im like "Nooooo don't do that, do this, ugh how do you not understand what tp is"

Sure, I have a headstart on them, but the mechanics seemed pretty easy enough to grasp if you pay attention instead of just being like "ugh cutscenes..."

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I paid £6 for Metroid Other M

:smith:

I paid full retail price and bought a console to play it on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm sorry

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Junpei Hyde posted:

I bought a wiiu just to play monster hunter, then they said monster hunter would only be on 3ds.

So i bought another nintendo console. I really dont care where monster hunter is, because it is fun as poo poo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
This game was the main reason I got a Wii U back when I was waiting to see if Nintendo would give any games to their then new console. I've played other things I didn't anticipate to be here, but it would be nice to see how my initial purchasing decision pans out.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hmmm, guess we'll have to get used to some bad clipping in our cutscenes too.

The UK trailer was pretty fun for someone who knows nothing about the game. If there were big spoilers, I didn't catch them. I was mostly just checking out the visuals though.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Crabtree posted:

This game was the main reason I got a Wii U back when I was waiting to see if Nintendo would give any games to their then new console. I've played other things I didn't anticipate to be here, but it would be nice to see how my initial purchasing decision pans out.

Yeah when this was announced I was sold, well, double-sold. Xenoblade and Monster Hunter were the primary reasons. Happy I did though since Bayo 2, Mario Kart, Smash, Pikmin, and Hyrule warriors were pretty fun. Looking forward to that new fancy Zelda too.

Since someone mentioned Metal Face earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajETylWuMxk

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

JackDarko posted:

I trust the translation I also trust that something like changing Dolls to Skell was probably a committee decision made by marketing. It's not like the translators get to just make poo poo up.

I'm not sure if you're joking but if not, you'd be surprised by how often this actually happens. Even in a somewhat big release like this, all that could have happened is that one senior translator said "I changed Doll to Skell for English markets because Doll has more connotations in English than in Japanese" and no one argued with it because either they didn't care or they agreed and then it was all over the script and then in some marketing and at that point, there's no turning back even when some other senior employee finds out and throws a shitfit for some reason.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Anybody who's seriously bent out of shape by name changes: Be glad you're not dealing with NISA.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

What name changes have they done? The only one I can think of is Escha & Logy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Esty Dee"

e: NISA only did the Arland games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mill Village posted:

What name changes have they done? The only one I can think of is Escha & Logy.

They changed a character named Esty Erdheart to Esty Dee beause ???

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

bloodychill posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking but if not, you'd be surprised by how often this actually happens. Even in a somewhat big release like this, all that could have happened is that one senior translator said "I changed Doll to Skell for English markets because Doll has more connotations in English than in Japanese" and no one argued with it because either they didn't care or they agreed and then it was all over the script and then in some marketing and at that point, there's no turning back even when some other senior employee finds out and throws a shitfit for some reason.

I wasn't joking, I listened to the translators podcast.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

JackDarko posted:

So what'd they say about Dolls vs Skells?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

bloodychill posted:

So what'd they say about Dolls vs Skells?

They can't go into specifics but said that no important decisions were made solely by them and that there's a committee from Nintendo that has to approve as well as the director.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
8-4 doesn't randomly translate stuff. They talk with the creators, and for XCX specifically, brought in their crew that translated Xenosagas and the guy that did Xenogear.

They pretty much had to talk with the creators since the game was definitely not localized in a few months since japanese release, and treehouse was busy with other games. I think they said they worked on it for a year?

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

getting a wii u for this game. hope i can still get the limited edition for retail price 2 or 3 weeks from now. don't want to pay some jacked up bullshit price.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What's the installed size showing on your disc management page for the disc hd install stuff?

When I went to download all four packs, it showed/required 15-16 gb, but after it finished, I went and looked and its showing 10gb after install.

Did it fail to download something, or is that the actual installed size of the four disc packs?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Tae posted:

8-4 doesn't randomly translate stuff. They talk with the creators, and for XCX specifically, brought in their crew that translated Xenosagas and the guy that did Xenogear.

They pretty much had to talk with the creators since the game was definitely not localized in a few months since japanese release, and treehouse was busy with other games. I think they said they worked on it for a year?

Yeah, I think they started last October.

Although, like Fire Emblem Awakening, this wasn't a complete, 100% 8-4 stint but rather a collaboration between them and the Treehouse.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If I delete Wii VC games, does it keep their saves? I think I can temporarily make enough room on my Wii U since my hard drive won't arrive this weekend but I'll need to remove Metroid and Punch out in the meantime.

victrix posted:

What's the installed size showing on your disc management page for the disc hd install stuff?

When I went to download all four packs, it showed/required 15-16 gb, but after it finished, I went and looked and its showing 10gb after install.

Did it fail to download something, or is that the actual installed size of the four disc packs?

You did it right, it requires extra space temporarily during installation.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sent yall a request.

Who's getting the strat guide? Gamestop isn't doing a midnight release :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

JackDarko posted:

Translation team podcast sounds amazing, just to be sure, can i expect no spoilers of X from their podcast for now? It's "8-4 PLAY" right?

Tender Bender posted:

If I delete Wii VC games, does it keep their saves? I think I can temporarily make enough room on my Wii U since my hard drive won't arrive this weekend but I'll need to remove Metroid and Punch out in the meantime.

You did it right, it requires extra space temporarily during installation.

Yeah, you can delete just the game and keep your save.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 3, 2015

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Yes that's the correct podcast and there are no spoilers.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Translation team podcast sounds amazing, just to be sure, can i expect no spoilers of X from their podcast for now? It's "8-4 PLAY" right?

Yeah, you can delete just the game and keep your save.

Yes I assure you, they don't go into any details.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I'm assuming this doesn't have the option to do that switch screens thing to play on the gamepad only since there is extensive use of the gamepad?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tipme posted:

I'm assuming this doesn't have the option to do that switch screens thing to play on the gamepad only since there is extensive use of the gamepad?

Off-TV play's possible, just awkward.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zombie Defiler posted:

Yeah when this was announced I was sold, well, double-sold. Xenoblade and Monster Hunter were the primary reasons. Happy I did though since Bayo 2, Mario Kart, Smash, Pikmin, and Hyrule warriors were pretty fun. Looking forward to that new fancy Zelda too.

Since someone mentioned Metal Face earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajETylWuMxk

they have the weapons from Xenogears/Xenosaga.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So someone made their MC look facially like Lin...

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just got an e-mail saying my CE has shipped. Small possibility I might see it Friday otherwise it will be Monday/Tuesday.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Who's getting the strat guide? Gamestop isn't doing a midnight release :(

I am getting it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So someone made their MC look facially like Lin...

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Can you guess where it was posted?

neogaf

• Locked thread