Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm not trying to say that the poll means that Trump WILL behave like Romney. But rather that Trump performing as well as Romney belies the claim that Trump cannot compete against Hillary. If Romney can come from a meaningless 44% to take 47% in a general, it is entirely possible for Trump to do likewise.

Now there are plenty of other reasons to believe he couldn't (big money might stay home, because they may not like what Trump means for their chances to control public discourse and public policy) but all things considered the same, there is absolutely a path for Trump to be competitive if Republicans behave the way they have in the past (i.e. getting behind their candidate despite his credentials). But then again, we've never seen the non-establishment wing win a nomination since Goldwater.

Being down 4% in the general is not so much "competing" as it is "getting annihilated." Obviously if there's some major event or if the economy shits itself things change. It's not like Trump has no chance if he wins the nomination. Anyone with an R or D next to their name has a chance. It doesn't make him winning particularly likely, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

toanoradian posted:

It's somehow sad that a tragedy like this will be 'forgotten' 6 months on.

if we largely forgot about sandy hook we'll forget about this

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Pohl posted:

They were laughing and joking around during the last presser. It was pretty jarring. It is almost like they don't know the cameras are on them, and it is a horrible optic. The officer for public relations was laughing her rear end off as was the ATF agent, then when the presser started they all lined up and looked solemn. I'm wondering if they are going to be called out on this behavior over the next few days.

In a way that leaves me felling kinda sad and gross it's almost comforting to know these kinds of events don't even make people bat a loving eye anymore and significant hay won't be made from this come election time because nobody cares.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

at this far out only indicator of how the head to head will go will be overall economy. So watch to see if Yellen heeds the banks calls and raises rates. If so it has strong possibility to derail what little growth and recovery we have had, and really hurt Clinton

Speaking of which...

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
"comfortable that there's only two shooters"

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

CalmDownMate posted:

Guys you need to calm the gently caress down worrying about Trump.

This, exactly. The actual lovely thing is that Muslims will continue to be poo poo on and discriminated against. That's the real problem here, not some impending Trump victory.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Shooter did work for the county, had been at the party and had left angry. Female shooter was either engaged to or married to the male shooter. Still unknown whether 3rd suspect in custody was involved. They believe at this point it may have just been the 2 shooters. Still no motive.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
My earlier hunch that this was a workplace dispute involving a man and his girlfriend / wife seems to be holding up.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Shooter worked there for about 5 years too.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It turns out that Islamic terrorism can melt the steel beams holding up the Democratic Party's big tent.

How? Do we even know if he did it for ISIS?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Joementum posted:

My earlier hunch that this was a workplace dispute involving a man and his girlfriend / wife seems to be holding up.

Thankfully :(

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

The supposed explosive devices don't fit that but they may not have actually been explosives.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

How? Do we even know if he did it for ISIS?

It doesn't matter. Only his religious affiliation matters.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I work in a DA's office. You see the worst of humanity day in and day out. So yeah, it gets easy to joke around with your coworkers with tragedy staring you in the face. You finish entering the case details of the two year old who got his head crushed by his drunk angry father and then you ask your coworker what they're bringin to the Christmas party next week.

It's similar to what you see with nurses or morticians or anyone else in a depressing line of work.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The supposed explosive devices don't fit that but they may not have actually been explosives.

In the previous press conference they said the things they found weren't bombs

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
It's more likely Democrats cave to the Syrian refugee/islamophobia than Trump winning.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dude shoots up a bunch of his coworkers and there's pretty much zero chance that it was anything else

If anything, a Muslim shooting up his place of work because of a grievance just shows that they're assimilating into American culture very well.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Joementum posted:

I am really curious if there has been a notable case of of workplace shooting involving couples, I mean I'm sure there has to be some cases but that seems so rare as hell.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
muslims wont truly have assimilated until theyre red-faced with hysterical rage about the next group of unlucky schlubs to come wandering along. on that day, tho, ill be proud to call them "brother".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CalmDownMate posted:

It's more likely Democrats cave to the Syrian refugee/islamophobia than Trump winning.

So far Democrats and Republicans together do not like that tourists are in the US without telling anybody they're here. So they want those rules changed. Dems will cave on expanded military action though, and Obama will feel pressure that he's being soft, and not bombing hard enough. Basically:

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 3, 2015

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

If anything, a Muslim shooting up his place of work because of a grievance just shows that they're assimilating into American culture very well.

I laughed at this and I hate that I laughed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

:drat:

Do reporters not loving listen and thus have to ask the same questions over and over?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

paranoid randroid posted:

muslims wont truly have assimilated until theyre red-faced with hysterical rage about the next group of unlucky schlubs to come wandering along. on that day, tho, ill be proud to call them "brother".
My money is on the Chinese, for the second time

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Probably didn't get his Christmas bonus and his second house was about to go underwater, so like real American patriots, they got out of the real estate game in style.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

fknlo posted:

:drat:

Do reporters not loving listen and thus have to ask the same questions over and over?

Probably missing stuff as they're writing things down or typing poo poo up.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Epic High Five posted:

Dude shoots up a bunch of his coworkers and there's pretty much zero chance that it was anything else

He just ran home made a pipe bomb or 3 and ran back to the party?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

fknlo posted:

Trying to get him to slip up a lil, but he's holding decently

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Litany Unheard posted:

I work in a DA's office. You see the worst of humanity day in and day out. So yeah, it gets easy to joke around with your coworkers with tragedy staring you in the face. You finish entering the case details of the two year old who got his head crushed by his drunk angry father and then you ask your coworker what they're bringin to the Christmas party next week.

It's similar to what you see with nurses or morticians or anyone else in a depressing line of work.

I know a bunch of nurses, EMTs, and paramedics who are just like this. You have to be

You compartmentalize it and then go the rest of your life with an increased chance of suicide. If you're a paramedic and especially if you're an EMT, you're also being criminally underpaid

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lemming posted:

Being down 4% in the general is not so much "competing" as it is "getting annihilated." Obviously if there's some major event or if the economy shits itself things change. It's not like Trump has no chance if he wins the nomination. Anyone with an R or D next to their name has a chance. It doesn't make him winning particularly likely, though.

What I'm trying to convey is not that Trump is particularly likely to win as opposed to any other Republican candidate, but rather that he has a clear path to victory that will very likely be influenced far more by the presence or absence of factors like the economy or possibly major terrorist incidents immediately before the election, followed by fundamentals of the electoral map than by whether or not Trump himself is likable. And by that criteria, Trump, if nominated, has almost as good a chance as any other Republican granted the nomination.

The particular focus on Trump, then, is primarily due to the fact that he remains well-positioned to be said nominee.

In other words, I'm primarily trying to imply that claims that "psht, there's no way Trump would win" made on the basis of Trump being... well... somehow uniquely unpalatable to the American voter are probably wrong.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

sparatuvs posted:

From this presser it seems like what they thought was a pipe bomb at the car wasn't actually a bomb and that they just blew up the suspected objects at the center.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

sparatuvs posted:

what loving pipe bombs?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just let them have their narrative, despite the fact that all of the suspected things found so far haven't actually been bombs

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

From this presser it seems like what they thought was a pipe bomb at the car wasn't actually a bomb and that they just blew up the suspected objects at the center.

I thought he said that they were pretty sure that some of the other devices were explosive though.

Lessail posted:

Trying to get him to slip up a lil, but he's holding decently

Doing better than I would about getting nasty with them. "I already answered that if you'd loving listen."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Considering the organization and equipment he had for the attack, I'm guessing he has been prepared to shoot up his office for an indeterminate period of time, and the flare up at the party is what finally pushed him over the brink

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

CalmDownMate posted:

what loving pipe bombs?

Officer at the presser just referred to "pipe bomb like" objects, too, so this didn't come from nowhere. I'm pretty sure it was reported earlier that they were not bombs, though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

:wtc: MSNBC just put a graphic up and the 'pipe bomb' was found a whole block down from the car.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Epic High Five posted:

I know a bunch of nurses, EMTs, and paramedics who are just like this. You have to be

You compartmentalize it and then go the rest of your life with an increased chance of suicide. If you're a paramedic and especially if you're an EMT, you're also being criminally underpaid

I completely agree, but you don't do it on national tv. It's dumb as hell that they aren't aware that they are standing in front of hot mics and cameras. Do that poo poo off camera.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Or they had the weapons stockpiled along with home made pipe bombs and possibly without any real intention of using them. But they had been complaining about work or life in general and today was too much.

Honestly, if you had a white couple with body armor, semi automatic weaponry and even homemade pipe bombs, they would be "doomsday preppers" or "survivalists" or "militia members".

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Okay so here's what happened: They were planning a larger, more organized attack but someone at the Christmas party pissed him off so much he said "gently caress it," ran home and got his poo poo. That's why the pipe bombs didn't work. That's the only way this stupid thing makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Republicans posted:

Okay so here's what happened: They were planning a larger, more organized attack but someone at the Christmas party pissed him off so much he said "gently caress it," ran home and got his poo poo. That's why the pipe bombs didn't work. That's the only way this stupid thing makes any sense.

I'm gonna go with this being the most plausible scenario.

How many other terrorists have infiltrated our government?

• Locked thread