Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

People need to drink less stuff high in sugar.

Also, someone gave my cheap good vodka a high rating, and now I can't find Monopolowa anywhere. loving vodka snobs, taking my cheap mixers.

I remember Monopolowa! It's actually made of potatoes, like GOD intended. You used to be able to get a handle for 9 bux and it was totally drinkable. Haven't seen it anywhere in over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Monopoly was my go to when I was mostly drinking vodka cran. Love that stuff. Now I drink almost exclusively bourbon and soda, and I've had like 2 hangovers in the last two years.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

buncha vodka drinkin pinko communists itt.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I drink a lot of vodka. But I do not adulterate it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I remember Monopolowa! It's actually made of potatoes, like GOD intended. You used to be able to get a handle for 9 bux and it was totally drinkable. Haven't seen it anywhere in over a decade.

I saw it on the shelf the other day :shrug:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

buncha vodka drinkin pinko communists itt.
Vodka is communist the way Scotch is British.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Secret Spoon posted:

Just gonna go back to that's the level of alcohol. Depending on the glass, you could be drinking something as high as 15% alcohol. With beer your drinking like 5-7% on average, which means you need to drink more, which can upset your stomach.

Eh, I am pretty sure if I drank a twelve pack of NA beer in one evening I would still get heartburn. I also think if I drank two bottles of a 15% solution of ethanol in 750ml of water I would feel better then if I drank two bottles of wine at the same ABV.

I do agree that hard liquor is all the same as any actual content other then ethanol and water is in such small quantities that it doesn't matter.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
There are also impurities like congeners imparted by barrel aging that will definitely affect you.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

I just skimmed the last page or so of posts because of drinking but there wAS a recent study published which suggests about half of hangover related trauma might be genetic. Let me google for a link here

Fake edit: is the guardian a legitimate source? I can't remember? This is also a year old which isn't very recent

Double fake edit: This seemed pretty accurate to me because by all accounts my dad was a pretty heavy drinker until just before he conceived me around age 30. I asked him why recently he didn't drink anymore and he said the hangovers just got too awful. I'm that age now and I agree; they are the definition of hell. Genetic factors make a lot of sense to me

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the42ndtourist posted:

This town - Hallstatt - was one of my favourite stops in my early-20s railpass wandering. Train stops across the lake and you take a ferry (like a little fishing boat, basically) across to the town, which is mostly two streets deep/high. Fantastically beautiful spot. Just be warned if you stay there - all the tourist buses leave by 5, at which point almost every restaurant/bar/shop in town closes and it's dead quiet.

Thanks - I'm actually super concerned about this. We are looking at renting a house or staying in the salzkammergut over christmas (dec 23,24,25 - train to munich 26, flight out 27) - so I'm expecting everything would be extra-extra-extra-extra dead. Is Halstatt a town where people actually live, or just a tourist thing? Any feeling on if we should stay somewhere else in the area and just bus/ferry in and out of Halstatt? Are there grocery stores around these towns, or is it as sleepy as I'm expecting/fearing? I've been to remote mountainous german towns where bars and restaurants close at like 8 or 9 if you're lucky, and lol there's no lidl or anything for 30 miles. But if there's a place to buy beer and stuff to cook for ourselves and we hunker down in a sleepy austrian town, I'm completely ecstatic.

Ideally I would rent a car around the area so I wouldn't be so stuck, but the nearest car rental place looks like it's about 100 miles away. :ohdear:

It all looks so beautiful though.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Eh, I am pretty sure if I drank a twelve pack of NA beer in one evening I would still get heartburn. I also think if I drank two bottles of a 15% solution of ethanol in 750ml of water I would feel better then if I drank two bottles of wine at the same ABV.

I do agree that hard liquor is all the same as any actual content other then ethanol and water is in such small quantities that it doesn't matter.

The general rule of thumb is one glass of water to one glass of wine for hydration purposes. If you are actively consuming 2 ENTIRE bottles of wine, then yeah, hangover city bro. But its not the wine itself, its the alcohol. As far as I know, wine doesn't hold some special dehydrating chemical aside from the the alcohol. Also, a 12 pack will probably cause mild heartburn in even the staunchest of guts of people aged 25 and over. Alcohol is the big dude on the block for any beverage, and overexposure to a literal poison can cause issues. I mean yeah, sure there might be some small differences between the various beverages, but flavor and enjoyment should drive you. If anything, a good red wine should cause heartburn due to its (usually) medium to high acidity.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

Vodka is communist the way Scotch is British.

I am confused by this post... Are you trying to say Vodka isn't communist? Because scotch certainly is British.

Scotland is part of Britain. In the same way that stilton, lava bread, Yorkshire pudding and Cornish pasties are British, so is scotch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Scotland is part of Britain.

Scotland is part of Britain, but I would not say Scotch is British.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Just drink your drink jfc

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Scientastic posted:

Scotland is part of Britain. In the same way that stilton, lava bread, Yorkshire pudding and Cornish pasties binge drinking, headbutting strangers outside the pub, and getting hosed in every possible way on your Magaluf holiday are British, so is scotch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Scotland is part of Britain, but I would not say Scotch is British.

Of course it is. Whiskey might not be uniquely British but Scotch (whiskey) certainly is.

quote:

Scotch whisky, often simply called Scotch, is malt whisky or grain whisky made in Scotland. Scotch whisky must be made in a manner specified by law.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I am confused by this post... Are you trying to say Vodka isn't communist? Because scotch certainly is British.
Scotch was created in Scotland several hundred years before Scotland became part of the Kingdom of Great Britain; indeed, for several hundred years before the Kingdom of Great Britain even existed.

Similarly, vodka was created, probably in Poland and possibly in Russia but in any case several centuries before the development of modern communism.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I think that you may be cutting the whole argumentation for the origin of things a bit tight there...

But let's call it colonial brittish, like e.g. maine lobster, cornbread, barbecue, pulled pork, papadum, curry and tea, and since england and scotland basically was a danish colony before any kind of distillation started happening (which also can be seen from the name uisge beatha) - you all basically are danish minions, and need to pay homage to our queen, and stop your heathen ways and turn to Odin...

yeah - our ancestors hosed your female ancestors (or the sheep, if they were pretty, and kinda, just standing there, looking a bit lonely), and they liked it!

Well.. it was only that one time... with the sheep.... and you know - sheeps passing in the night and all that. What happens in cornwall stays in cornwall.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 2, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ooooooooooooooooooooor we can say it was hyperbole like it fuckin was

rofl

never change gwis, never change

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

GrAviTy84 posted:

rofl

We never will.

Mar 5, 2012 posted:

I had to go to a Ducks Unlimited banquet this past Saturday for work. The booze was free, and the steak was actually really good. I sat across from my old boss at the grocery store I worked at in high school. S.O.B. actually put ketchup. On. His. Steak. I have heard people bitching about it in GWS forever, I just never encountered it in the wild.

Nov 24, 2015 posted:

Ketchup is bad and only children eat it. Just wanted to throw that out there.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So I haven't been in here in like, a year maybe more, who are all these people?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Of course it is. Whiskey might not be uniquely British but Scotch (whiskey) certainly is.

Whiskey is Irish. Scotch is whisky.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

rofl

Quiet you colonial scum, or I'll claim whatever regional delicacy you have in your tinpot country as my own!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
oh my cultural appropriation

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The sheep didn't say anything about hyperbole or cultural appropriation. They baah'ed softly and looked at us with tender eyes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Oh yah. I knew it was one or t'other. I drink neither so am ignorant.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

And since there are now more Americans of Irish descent than there are Irish of Irish descent, that means whiskey is American.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What if those Americans ludicrously claim to actually BE Irish, because their great-great-great-grandmother once gave a navvie a handjob?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

What if those Americans ludicrously claim to actually BE Irish, because their great-great-great-grandmother once gave a navvie a handjob?

Whatever, they won't claim it a week after St. Patricks anyway.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Just because you're cisnational doesn't mean you have to shame all the people who are nationqueer.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

mindphlux posted:

Thanks - I'm actually super concerned about this. We are looking at renting a house or staying in the salzkammergut over christmas (dec 23,24,25 - train to munich 26, flight out 27) - so I'm expecting everything would be extra-extra-extra-extra dead. Is Halstatt a town where people actually live, or just a tourist thing? Any feeling on if we should stay somewhere else in the area and just bus/ferry in and out of Halstatt? Are there grocery stores around these towns, or is it as sleepy as I'm expecting/fearing? I've been to remote mountainous german towns where bars and restaurants close at like 8 or 9 if you're lucky, and lol there's no lidl or anything for 30 miles. But if there's a place to buy beer and stuff to cook for ourselves and we hunker down in a sleepy austrian town, I'm completely ecstatic.

Ideally I would rent a car around the area so I wouldn't be so stuck, but the nearest car rental place looks like it's about 100 miles away. :ohdear:

It all looks so beautiful though.

I think the towns at either end of the lake are a fair bit more alive, and I wandered around Bad Ischl (a little further along the valley) for an hour or two, it's definitely bigger than the other few. It definitely has grocery stores, and I'd wager that the ones at the lake-ends do, as well.

Also it was probably almost ten years ago, and I only spent one night, so things may have changed/I may have forgotten stuff. I just remember there being a number of hotels and restaurant/bars that were open in the afternoon and when I went back out for food and beer in the evening there was only one that was open. It was the stark contrast between daytime (plenty of tourists) and evening that surprised me. Christmas would be even worse, but hop off the train in Bad Ischl on your way in and stock up and I'm sure you'd be fine assuming you had a place with a kitchen.

I'm pretty sure people live there - it's just like little hamlets in North America where everyone has a car and has to drive to the next town for groceries.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

Just because you're cisnational doesn't mean you have to shame all the people who are nationqueer.

This made me laugh hard and die a little inside. I'm stealing this for my next bar debate.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I'm a statefuck countrypunk ameriboi

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

:golfclap:

This is a thing of great beauty.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

:golfclap:

This is a thing of great beauty.

Agreed!

I once worked a summer in Ireland, and the Irish were totally perplexed (and perhaps a bit offended) that I didn't claim any Irish heritage. Apparently, Americans in Ireland are supposed to lie and say they are Irish.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Agreed!

I once worked a summer in Ireland, and the Irish were totally perplexed (and perhaps a bit offended) that I didn't claim any Irish heritage. Apparently, Americans in Ireland are supposed to lie and say they are Irish.

I suspect most Americans setting foot in Ireland do so because they feel themselves to be Irish (because their great great great grandma came over from Dublin in 1840 or something).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Well.. it was only that one time... with the sheep.... and you know - sheeps passing in the night and all that. What happens in cornwall stays in cornwall.

I think Cornwall was probably about the only part of Britain that wasn't Danish-ruled, however briefly, being southwest of Wessex. (Wales too, I guess)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Squashy Nipples posted:

I just flew Dublin - Chicago and you actually clear US customs while still in Dublin airport. They said it just makes everything easier because there are so many Americans visiting and living in Ireland.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

feedmegin posted:

I think Cornwall was probably about the only part of Britain that wasn't Danish-ruled, however briefly, being southwest of Wessex. (Wales too, I guess)

We only went there for the sheep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I made vegetarian shepherd's pie tonight with Quorn instead of lentils and I was shocked by how much worse it was. No flavour, watery, odd texture... The lentil version is so much better in every regard. Cheaper too!