Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

railroad terror posted:

Are you betting "YES" on every candidate, or something else?

Romney No is my biggest holding, so if he wins the nomination I get $0.

Edit:
If Paul Ryan wins I lose all but 90 cents of my $46 in the market. If Carly wins I lose $39. Anyone else I make money.

Gyges has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007
I bet NO on anyone but Trump or Cruz getting the nomination. Maybe there's a chance it'll be Rubio but I think the market has him heavily overvalued right now due to the media pushing him so hard.

Like others, I have a bunch of cash from the linking and I'm not sure what to do with it. I notice I tend to immediately place new bets with my winnings, which has burned me a few times (luckily I won enough on Biden that I'm still up overall). Maybe I'll just sit on it a while.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Cruz and Rubio are the two most likely to get the nomination. We'll have to wait until after at least Iowa before we can put a value on the trumpification of the vote, but I still have a whole pack of doubts about his support actually carrying over to the voting booth.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I put all my cash from the linking into USPREZ16 which is going to be linked on December 3. NOs all shot up today so I think pretty much everyone did the same thing. I managed to get in early enough to ride most of the increase.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Gyges posted:

No matter what happens, we do still have to let Vermont vote.

Edit: 81 cents is a steal even if you do have to wait all the way to March for it to pay off.

YES is now down to 75%. This is now by far my biggest holding. The contract might as well be "Does Bernie Sanders win Vermont?". Which he is 100% guaranteed to do. The poll I linked to earlier had him leading Hillary 65% to 14%. Another bit of trivia. Howard Dean won the 2004 Vermont Democratic primary by 58% to John Kerry's 34%. This was 2 weeks AFTER he dropped out. I have never seen such guaranteed money.

Edit: Need to properly source my facts
http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/primaries/pages/states/VT/

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 04:11 on Dec 2, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Keep in mind he could also drop out but with that Dean story I'm not sure if that would even matter. He'll probably ride it out I don't see why he wouldn't

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only wrinkle is if there's a sentence lurking in the rules that prevents Vermont from counting if Bernie drops out first.

Of course all my money is sitting in the 2016 winner market, so I can't buy up until Thursday.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Gyges posted:

The only wrinkle is if there's a sentence lurking in the rules that prevents Vermont from counting if Bernie drops out first.

I don't see such a clause

quote:

On or before June 30, 2016, Bernie Sanders shall win a plurality or majority of the votes cast in the Democratic presidential primary or caucus of at least one state or delegate-awarding U.S. territory, according to that state or territory's board of elections, secretary of state, state Democratic party, or other applicable reporting body.

This Market may close prior to the end date, if/when PredictIt determines the above criteria have been met.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Just popping in to say that linked markets are the poo poo

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
There are a few new markets this morning, I don't think the email's gone out yet but here they are:

• Will a U.S. State Dept. worldwide travel alert be in effect on February 25, 2016?
  • Will Republicans have a brokered convention in 2016?
  • Will primary polling give Christie at least 3% on December 31?
  • Will primary polling give Kasich at least 3% on December 31?

Got in on one...I gobbled up Christie YES below 50.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Peachstapler posted:

• Will a U.S. State Dept. worldwide travel alert be in effect on February 25, 2016?

Can someone help me out with this one? Why that date in particular?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Peachstapler posted:

There are a few new markets this morning, I don't think the email's gone out yet but here they are:

• Will Republicans have a brokered convention in 2016?
  • Will primary polling give Christie at least 3% on December 31?
  • Will primary polling give Kasich at least 3% on December 31?

Got in on one...I gobbled up Christie YES below 50.

Christie is polling at 2.5%. 3% is a possibility, heck 0.5% is a rounding error. But I wouldn't pay more than 35 cents for either YES or NO at this point. Ditto for Kasich.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
The media has been giving him some attention with his recent endorsements so I could see him rising up a bit. Whether or not it will stick for the whole month is entirely something else. Also gently caress betting on polls.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Christie is polling at 2.5%. 3% is a possibility, heck 0.5% is a rounding error. But I wouldn't pay more than 35 cents for either YES or NO at this point. Ditto for Kasich.
The Quinnipiac that dropped today was open about 10 days before he got his recent NH endorsements so I'm thinking he'll get a bump. Even a small one and I can short it.

Necc0 posted:

The media has been giving him some attention with his recent endorsements so I could see him rising up a bit. Whether or not it will stick for the whole month is entirely something else. Also gently caress betting on polls.
This is my only investment in the poll market, I needed something with a little more volatility. A little more excitement (Jeb!).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yall think they'll ever start linking across markets? There's no reason why Jeb! winning the nomination and Jeb! winning the Presidency should be considered independent events.

e: also stop loss orders would be sweet

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Dec 2, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shear Modulus posted:

Yall think they'll ever start linking across markets? There's no reason why Jeb! winning the nomination and Jeb! winning the Presidency should be considered independent events.

e: also stop loss orders would be sweet

They aren't based on the same fundamental logical event so linking is essentially impossible.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Necc0 posted:

I don't know, but:

quote:

Today's Volume: 2
lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Necc0 posted:

The current travel alert expires on Feb 24.

So it's a bet on whether the current travel alert will be extended or a new one will be announced.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shear Modulus posted:

The current travel alert expires on Feb 24.

So it's a bet on whether the current travel alert will be extended or a new one will be announced.

Gotcha. Thanks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bush dropping out before Iowa has really lost a lot of ground. I think YES is a good buy at .14, because imo there will be calls to consolidate behind Rubio as the anti-Trump in January.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

Bush dropping out before Iowa has really lost a lot of ground. I think YES is a good buy at .14, because imo there will be calls to consolidate behind Rubio as the anti-Trump in January.

I jumped in too early at ~20/share but yeah I still believe it's gotta go up at some point because lol Jeb!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Aliquid posted:

My basis in NO is 79 so seeing it trade up into the mid to upper 80's is great for me. No one is going to force Jeb! out prior to the first vote being cast. He will face pressure to do so if he fails to get out of the single digits in the early races and if he is battling people like Christie and Paul for 4th or 5th. But there is no chance of him dropping out before then.

If this hits 90 this week I'm selling, but I won't be buying YES at any price

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I won't be buying YES at any price
For real. I'm maxed on NO in this market, all at once @ 74. The amount of money and influence behind this guy, as terrible as he is at campaigning, is unshakable until the first votes are set in stone. Even before Trump declared, privately the campaign was signaling to donors that Jeb might not win the first couple primaries but he's in for the long haul.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Jeb absolutely will not drop out before the opening four states are over. He'll probably ride it all the way to super Tuesday.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's not my reasoning. I think there will be a GOP media narrative to consolidate behind a single candidate before Iowa, and I'll sell a week or so out. I agree Bush stays in.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If Bush donors flee to Rubio I don't see him staying in. He's supposed to show them some kind of results and so far there's been nothing.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Most ad blitzes only last for a week or two in the voters' consciousness and he's already got full alpha-strikes reserved. He'll cut his campaign to the bone before letting those fizzle

Necc0 has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Dec 3, 2015

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

nachos posted:

If Bush donors flee to Rubio I don't see him staying in. He's supposed to show them some kind of results and so far there's been nothing.

True enough, but technically until Iowa happens there is no possible way for him to show or not show them results. Until then he can say that the only poll that matters is the binding one where they add up the votes. His donors can't ask him to give back 10 million of cash that he has on hand. He is not dropping out before Iowa

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nachos posted:

Dropping out before any voting takes place is too shameful even for Bush to do.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
USPREZ16 was linked this morning.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Peachstapler posted:

USPREZ16 was linked this morning.

Are there any more markets that need to be linked or does this mean they've completed the switchover?

e: FUN FACT: The only USPREZ16 contracts you can sell anymore are Clinton, Rubio, Trump, Cruz, Sanders, Bush, Christie, and Carson.

platzapS has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Dec 3, 2015

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Looks like Christie is sucking up Jeb's remaining strength in NH. Probably too late to profit on the initial market bump, though

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Looks like the Trump indy run market that closes end of month is pretty much free money now, mid-90c for No.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Vox Nihili posted:

Looks like the Trump indy run market that closes end of month is pretty much free money now, mid-90c for No.

Oh good call.

edit: No is up to $.97 :\

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Could place a max buy at 95c and have the top offer.

I maxed at 96c myself. Not going to be able to squeeze out a ton of money, but it's difficult to imagine a safer market.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Anyone else gambling a bit on some of the Repub Nomination YES bets now that the market is linked?

For me, I'm gambling the nomination is going to come down to one of the following people:

Rubio
Cruz
Christie
Kasich

I have a good amount of shares of Cruz @ 23 (he's at 26 now, considering getting out and buying back in), Christie at 6, and Kasich at 3. I'm wary about the Rubio shares I do own because I feel like he's still overvalued at 40.

I don't believe The Donald has any real shot at the delegates necessary to win, and if there's a "comeback kid" moment in New Hampshire, I feel like it will belong to either Christie or Kasich.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

railroad terror posted:

Anyone else gambling a bit on some of the Repub Nomination YES bets now that the market is linked?

For me, I'm gambling the nomination is going to come down to one of the following people:

Rubio
Cruz
Christie
Kasich

I have a good amount of shares of Cruz @ 23 (he's at 26 now, considering getting out and buying back in), Christie at 6, and Kasich at 3. I'm wary about the Rubio shares I do own because I feel like he's still overvalued at 40.

I don't believe The Donald has any real shot at the delegates necessary to win, and if there's a "comeback kid" moment in New Hampshire, I feel like it will belong to either Christie or Kasich.

For the ones that it is possible to buy NO, I have done so for everyone except Rubio, Cruz, Trump and Romney. I had some Rubio NO at a basis of 50 and sold them at 60. I'm thinking of buying Cruz YES since he seems like he is the most palatable of the wingnut faction to the establishment, but I've been burned betting against Trump and I'm not doing it here.

Romney probably won't be the nominee, but I give it more than a 1% chance.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Republican brokered convention is free money too.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

railroad terror posted:

Rubio
Cruz
Christie
Kasich

NH is looking better and better for Christie. I think Cruz is overpriced right now at 26, I'm hoping for a Christie bump at some point to eat into Cruz. If Cruz drops below 20, hopefully below 15, I'll load up on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Agree with everything you said. I'd probably invest on Christie in NH and short it, not confident he's going to prevail there yet as he just started his uptrend.

District Selectman posted:

Republican brokered convention is free money too.
For those interested in tying up funds for half a year in exchange for a ~10% return. Unless the primary voters coalesce around a single candidate relatively early which doesn't appear likely.

I'm not counting Trump, because he's Trump.

• Locked thread