Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Riosan posted:

Didn't WaPo try to publish a list of good guy with a gun incidents a couple months ago? They were only able to find about 7 or 8 in the last fifteen years.

Yeah but that's only because Sheriff Joe Arpaio hadn't allowed them to act. Without Joe "Gunblood" Arpaio's command, society had stifled their heroic desires and their inner gun powers, and as such most gun owners are only on 10% capacity. Now that Joe "Tough Stuff" Arpaio had set off the code, all the concealed carriers can tap into their latent sniping potential and set the world ablaze with a brand new wave of Civilians with a Handgun in Their Backpacks who, in a Chaotic Shootout Situation, Accurately Plug the Bad Guys Without Getting Themselves or Numerous Bystanders Killed.

Thanks, Sheriff Joe "Bulletfucker" Arpaio!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Never let someone negotiate with the Iranians who’s never bought a car" ~ Lindsey Graham, on John Kerry.

:allears: he's adorable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:allears: he's adorable.

He reminds me of Bob Dole as being a genuinely funny Republican.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Never let someone negotiate with the Iranians who’s never bought a car" ~ Lindsey Graham, on John Kerry.

Actually I've found the best way to get a fair price on a car is to do research, visit several dealers, find what you are looking for and what you'd be willing to let go for it, compare costs, tell the seller what your research shows, give them your budget, ask for their best price, never step in their office or give your contact information until you are ready to purchase, and try to buy at the end of the month when their back is against the wall. If the deal isn't satisfactory you leave and go to another dealer.

Except in this case I suppose we've been shopping for the past 40 some odd years.

I mean I suppose you can try "negotiating" but more often than not I've found whatever benefits they provide tend to get eaten up some other way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK so Ted Cruz didn't say "it was Islamic terrorism" but rather "we're worried it was Islamic terrorism" which is the dissembling, dog-whistle version of the first statement. So my question is, is cloaked dog-whistle bigotry better, worse or no different from outright bigotry, since we're about to see a whole bunch of both in the upcoming days.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

OK so Ted Cruz didn't say "it was Islamic terrorism" but rather "we're worried it was Islamic terrorism" which is the dissembling, dog-whistle version of the first statement. So my question is, is cloaked dog-whistle bigotry better, worse or no different from outright bigotry, since we're about to see a whole bunch of both in the upcoming days.

It's worse because he's basically just priming it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Who has odds on the next shooting being at an Islamic gathering of some sort?

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Haven't seen a source on this but
https://twitter.com/ericajanes/status/672397667188744192
'Michael Werner fox news expert: "well, when one of the shooters is a woman, you really have to look at feminism in this country"'

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Blowdryer posted:

'Michael Werner fox news expert: "well, when one of the shooters is a woman, you really have to look at feminism in this country"'

ah, the radical islamofeminist alliance shows its hand

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Clearly women should be home in the kitchen while their husbands go off on their murder sprees.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

SquadronROE posted:

Who has odds on the next shooting being at an Islamic gathering of some sort?

Will the right wing's responses towards a mass shooting of Muslim victims be different?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

zoux posted:

Sure, let's all pretend there's an equal chance this guy might be mad about abortion or Obamacare.

Maybe the county tried to steal his herd's grazing land - it could be anything!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Blowdryer posted:

The way I heard it was he was talking about how they don't have feminism in the Middle East so we should always expect wives to obediently follow their husbands into jihad or something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Sure, let's all pretend there's an equal chance this guy might be mad about abortion or Obamacare.

It's a workplace grievance, dumbass.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Go on, tell us how you really feel.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Yes but the shooters have middle-eastern sounding names so it therefore can't be anything but Islam related :downs:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Nah, the fact that he'd been in an argument with someone at the holiday party that he shot up, which was being held for his place of employment, clearly shows RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM.

The thing where they had pipe bombs, tactical gear, etc....

Epic High Five posted:

If anything, a Muslim shooting up his place of work because of a grievance just shows that they're assimilating into American culture very well.

Just sounds like stuff a good American citizen would have laying around their house to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Expound upon this.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

fknlo posted:

Just sounds like stuff a good American citizen would have laying around their house to me.

It's a testament to American DIY where you can get whatever improvised devices you need from your local Home Depot or Lowe's.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

CommieGIR posted:

Expound upon this.

Isn't that Cliven Bundy? Is there another one like him that actually shoots up people?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

toanoradian posted:

Isn't that Cliven Bundy? Is there another one like him that actually shoots up people?

Like the people that had been at his ranch that killed 2 cops, covered them with a Gadsden flag, went to a Walmart, killed a concealed carry super hero, and then made their final stand?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

Don't you worry your silly little head. Context no longer matters. "This is yet another manifestation of terrorism, radical Islamic terrorism here at home." will be the takeaway soundbite and Trump's supporters will believe that that is all he said.

And when Cruz gets challenged for inciting a spree/mass shooting of Muslims, he can just point to the context everyone ignored and the media will just agree that the point is disputed and that we'll just never know why this gentle loner opened fire in a mosque.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yes but the shooters have middle-eastern sounding names so it therefore can't be anything but Islam related :downs:

Also, you know:

quote:

Co-workers told The Times they were shocked to hear Farook's name linked to the shooting. Two who were in the restroom when the bullets began to fly said he was quiet and polite, with no obvious grudges.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...1202-story.html

But maybe he just snapped one day, went home, put on body armor, make up a bunch of IEDs real quick, grabbed his wife, set up go pros, and shot everyone up. It is a mystery.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

toanoradian posted:

If we're generous. If we're not he's implying that all Muslims are goat herding savages.

But maybe he just snapped one day, went home, put on body armor, make up a bunch of IEDs real quick, grabbed his wife, set up go pros, and shot everyone up. It is a mystery.

White people do this every week in America.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Radish posted:

I was gonna say that they just need a high perception rating but WELP...
We should always judge mass shootings with Fallout skills from now on!

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

CommieGIR posted:

Expound upon this.

You, he and I all drat well know where he's loving trying to go with that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

You do know that people say this about white people who do this poo poo, all the time, yes?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

toanoradian posted:

Aside from Cessna guy and whoever strung up that tax agent some years back? Can't recall exactly what happened with the latter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Don't you worry your silly little head. Context no longer matters. "This is yet another manifestation of terrorism, radical Islamic terrorism here at home." will be the takeaway soundbite and Trump's supporters will believe that that is all he said.

And when Cruz gets challenged for inciting a spree/mass shooting of Muslims, he can just point to the context everyone will ignore and the media will just agree that the point is disputed and that we'll just never know why this gentle loner opened fire in a mosque.

How dare you imply my head is silly and little.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
There is a mental health problem in this country.

Yes even you good sir are afflicted by mental health problems. So you say you have them in check? Well how can I trust you, you have mental health problems. Perhaps we should have effective services for the Times your imperfect human brain does something you can't control. You know just in case. No judgement, just hedging bets.

That sure would be nice.

All those guns can't protect you from your self.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ashcroft continues his war on sculptured obscenities in Washington DC.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Yes because "he just seemed so mild mannered" has never been uttered regarding any workplace shooter.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Of course he just happened to start his JIHAD OF TERROR against the people he worked with before he went to a more likely target like any good terrorist would. Doesn't really explain why they went home afterwards though. Maybe they were googling their final target?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yes because "he just seemed so mild mannered" has never been uttered regarding any workplace shooter.

lalalalalala i can't hear you alalalalalalal

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Listen. I'm really sorry guys, but unless we have concrete information about what in the actual gently caress, we will never really know.

And I'm not even trying to be a smart rear end. I just can't fit what is known with anything that makes sense.

CommieGIR posted:

Expound upon this.

The other BLM, Bureau of Land Management, and Cliven Bundy.

edit:

I really can't fit any of this together for terror or workplace violence. I really cannot reconcile any of the facts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha apparently Tony Blair is in DC for the Cheney bust unveiling.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well we have statues of slaveholders all over the place in Washington! Why not War Criminals?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

zoux posted:

If we're generous. If we're not he's implying that all Muslims are goat herding savages.

A bland, timid entry, suitable perhaps for patients recovering from surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

mcmagic posted:

Well we have statues of slaveholders all over the place in Washington! Why not War Criminals?

Hwy 1 is still named after Jefferson Davis all the way to the Potomac.

• Locked thread