Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

My boyfriend is really hard to shop for, so I'm asking this thread for Christmas ideas. Looking for unique or interesting things that aren't over $100. His likes include:

-Death metal
-Spicy stuff (hot sauce and peppers. He literally puts ghost chili in just about everything he cooks)
-Craft beer (it'd have to be something really unique, he's tried just about everything and has plenty of glasses and growlers)
-Video games
-Guns
-Meat/cooking
-General nerdy crap
-Working out
-Espresso
-Hiking

Right now my "to get" list is some good beef jerky and a digital meat thermometer. Just looking for something else that's really cool to go along with them. TIA :)

You are going out with this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

DigitalRaven posted:

Go for a Fenix, something like the E35. Not too expensive and bright as all gently caress.

Thanks, I think I'm going to ask for the Fenix E20 for ~$40.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I have a 10+ year old Dyson Yellow Vacuum (DC07?). It is dead/dying. I have heard good things about Shark Vacuums. What is a good vacuum that will work as well as a Dyson but not cost near as much? I want something that is semi-portable as we have stairs but I don't want one of those tiny stick vacuums.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
For anyone looking to buy Christmas gifts for loved ones, but with really no idea what, there's also the Gift Idea Thread in A/T.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a Record player?

I'd like to start collecting some favorite bands but we only have an all-in-one Record player unit. I'd love for something modern enough that I could pipe optical cables through it or not have to worry about old interfaces/hard to obtain parts.

Not sure what sort of price range to expect honestly.

I'm thinking this is a good start:
http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica...s=record+player

m.hache has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Dec 4, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

m.hache posted:

Any recommendations for a Record player?

I'd like to start collecting some favorite bands but we only have an all-in-one Record player unit. I'd love for something modern enough that I could pipe optical cables through it or not have to worry about old interfaces/hard to obtain parts.

Not sure what sort of price range to expect honestly.

I'm thinking this is a good start:
http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica...s=record+player

Check out this thread.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Trastion posted:

I have a 10+ year old Dyson Yellow Vacuum (DC07?). It is dead/dying. I have heard good things about Shark Vacuums. What is a good vacuum that will work as well as a Dyson but not cost near as much? I want something that is semi-portable as we have stairs but I don't want one of those tiny stick vacuums.

I've never used a Dyson but I'm very happy with my Shark Navigator Liftaway Pro. Not sure if they make the same exact model anymore, but the new ones look the same. Sweethome ranked it as best inexpensive vacuum.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-cheap-vacuum/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

kinmik posted:

For anyone looking to buy Christmas gifts for loved ones, but with really no idea what, there's also the Gift Idea Thread in A/T.

More like 2.0 of this thread aka buyshitidontneed thread

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Does anyone know of any comfortable, warm slippers available in men's 11? Everything I've worn this far hasn't been warm enough even if they're as comfortable as could be. I need it to be a slipper I can occasionally slip on and wear outside for quick errands; temps here can get below freezing once in a while.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

LivesInGrey posted:

Does anyone know of any comfortable, warm slippers available in men's 11? Everything I've worn this far hasn't been warm enough even if they're as comfortable as could be. I need it to be a slipper I can occasionally slip on and wear outside for quick errands; temps here can get below freezing once in a while.

I'm a ladygoon so I can't speak to the comfort of their men's products, but I really love Minnetonkas https://www.minnetonkamoccasin.com/men/styles/slippers/sheepskin-hardsole-moc-men/ Not cheap but they last and they're very cozy.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have advice on a good quality cotton bathrobe for my wife? I don't know how to choose from all the options. Something warm would be nice, since she only really wears one in the winter when it gets chilly.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

LivesInGrey posted:

Ugg Ascot. Worth the price tag, very warm, and has a good sole for going outside.

EDIT: The interior is sheep skin and they do take a day or two to break in, so they might be snug when you try them on in a store. You also don't need socks with them since they'll eventually contour to your feet

The Blue Pyramid has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Dec 5, 2015

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

LivesInGrey posted:

http://glerupsusa.com/

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

What are the best computer speakers for $30 or less?

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Are there any particularly good sound bars for a TV in the $200-$400 range? And if they connect via bluetooth, is the sound quality any less than by wire?

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

dead lettuce posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Multimedia-Speaker-System-980-000048/dp/B0015BYQJE

Logitech LS11 are the ones I use. They're not mind-blowingly amazing but they have a pretty great sound for the price I reckon. Though there are plenty of other speakers I can see popping up as recommendations on that Amazon page for a similar price, and I'm sure any of those would be just as good.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a controller for a Samsung Galaxy S6? My brother plays so many games on that thing with the stupid virtual keypads. I'd like to get him something to help him out.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

dead lettuce posted:

We have a few of these at work and they are surprisingly good for the price. I'm not sure if there is something better in the < $30 category, though - when I bought these I was looking for 'best super-budget computer speakers' and $30 was out of our price range.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Logitech and Altec Lansing make the best computer speakers, I don't think you can go wrong with either brand for "cheap and decent".

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hydrocodone posted:

Are there any particularly good sound bars for a TV in the $200-$400 range? And if they connect via bluetooth, is the sound quality any less than by wire?

VIZIO S4251w-B4

I have those and it's pretty good. Can get cheaper off eBay. Bluetooth and solid sound. The wireless sub is a nice touch

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

SaltLick posted:

VIZIO S4251w-B4

I have those and it's pretty good. Can get cheaper off eBay. Bluetooth and solid sound. The wireless sub is a nice touch

I have one of these guys, or at least similar. Really really like it, but only downside (at least for the model I have) is that you cannot adjust the subwoofer level independent of the volume, so the sub can get waaaaaaay loud sometimes.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I was thinking of buying my dad an electric filet knife for Christmas. It would be entirely for fish. Wondering if anyone has experience, if they're worth it, and if so which one? Didn't really know where to go looking for a fishing thread if there is one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone recommend a good electric heater? Something I can take back and forth between room and common area

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Anyone recommend a good electric heater? Something I can take back and forth between room and common area

How big is the room?

My furnace died last season so this year we're experimenting with zone heating using electric space heaters.

I have this oil-filled electric radiator heating my living and dining rooms (about 220 square feet total), this Lasko ceramic tower heater in my kitchen and one of these in a bedroom another in the foyer.

Got our first power bill using this setup and while it doubled (went from $70 to $140) my gas bill won't be the usual $200+/month that it typically was running a 20+ year old furnace in a house that has mediocre insulation.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Dec 11, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah don't need anything too crazy by any means really small place

Something like the lasko might get that

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
So, someone earlier on this page asked about slipper recommendations. I'm looking for the same thing for my pregnant sister-in-law, but the recommendations made thus far are a little pricey. I think these could work, but I'm curious if any other ladygoons have preferred alternatives around this $50 price point.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
The oil filled radiator heaters work great. I have one of these and it geats my ~150 square foot bed room uncomfortably warm if I set the thermostat on it to high. I don't notice much of a difference in my electric bill when I use it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Kind of tempted to get this heater

Lasko 6462 Full Circle Ceramic Heater with Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OQCS1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_Vb2AwbBT81XXN

Otherwise this

De'Longhi TCH7090ERD Ceramic Tower Heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GM6JAPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_Rd2AwbDGERBCR

Unironically want one of these

Comfort Glow EMF161 1200-watt Hearth Portable Fireplace, Mini, Midnight Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MS7V49E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_hf2AwbGPS503R

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
a buddy of mine always has a pocket knife on him, but one day he forgot he had it on him when he tried to get into a concert and they took it and never gave in back. well, i got him for a secret santa deal, and i'm looking to replace his lovely old knife with a nice new one. doesn't have to be anything fancy. any suggestions?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I like CKRT knives (Colombia River Knife and Tool). Fairly cheap and we'll made. I've been carrying one for the last six years or so. Amazon sells them.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Kershaw is a great value brand too. The Kershaw Leek is very popular.

Obligatory Benchmade Mini Griptillian pitch, also.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Benchmade was a solid bet until a couple years ago when they raised their prices by 50% across the board for the exact same products.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Benchmade was a solid bet until a couple years ago when they raised their prices by 50% across the board for the exact same products.

So 80 for a mini-grip isn't worth it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would save up another $15 and get the Benchmade/HK Axis folder. It has better handle materials and arguably better steel. The mini grip's handles are asstastic. If you can swing $110 the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 is among the best right now.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I need a good dog bed for my ~40 lb dog. She likes the ones with borders on 3 sides, not the all flat pillow ones. I want one that is comfy and doesn't get all flat from her fat rear end.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Scruffy the janitor posted:

I was thinking of buying my dad an electric filet knife for Christmas. It would be entirely for fish. Wondering if anyone has experience, if they're worth it, and if so which one? Didn't really know where to go looking for a fishing thread if there is one.

There is a fishing thread in ask/tell.

oh dope posted:

a buddy of mine always has a pocket knife on him, but one day he forgot he had it on him when he tried to get into a concert and they took it and never gave in back. well, i got him for a secret santa deal, and i'm looking to replace his lovely old knife with a nice new one. doesn't have to be anything fancy. any suggestions?

You gotta post a budget as "nice pocket knife" is like a $40-$400 range.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Chinaman7000 posted:

I need a good dog bed for my ~40 lb dog. She likes the ones with borders on 3 sides, not the all flat pillow ones. I want one that is comfy and doesn't get all flat from her fat rear end.

Kuranda makes an excellent dog bed, they're basically fabric suspended between plastic or aluminum tubes in a manner where the dog cannot bite the fabric. My wife used to work at an animal rescue that had several of them and I've had two for several years, had to replace the fabric once on each because my dogs have a habit of "digging" on the bed. Replacement fabric is relatively cheap ($20 or so depending on size) and the frame has held up well. If anything wears out or breaks you can buy individual replacement parts too.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Dec 13, 2015

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

oh dope posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1445-Half-Folding-Knife/dp/B002IWY15S

Cheap and good.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

bongwizzard posted:

You gotta post a budget as "nice pocket knife" is like a $40-$400 range.

that's something i wasn't aware of until recently. either way, i found one that amazon says was worth like $300 but was going for $35. i'm skeptical about that, but it's nice looking, and i'm confident it's better than the garbage he had. thanks for the suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

oh dope posted:

If he'd like a classic Swiss army knife with a bunch of extra tools in it, Victorinox is of course the king of that category. I've been carrying an Explorer for essentially my entire adult life and don't know how I'd get along without it.

But if you're looking for a "just a blade" folding knife, then yeah, you can do better.