Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Junkie Disease posted:

Glad you liked it.
Watch the after credits scene then Google some interpretations

Do people actually have "interpretations" of that scene? It seemed pretty obvious to me that it was just a jokey unrelated extra bit, kind of like when movies play blooper reels over the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

King of Bleh posted:

Do people actually have "interpretations" of that scene? It seemed pretty obvious to me that it was just a jokey unrelated extra bit, kind of like when movies play blooper reels over the credits.

After rumors of a Howard the Duck reboot from Guardians of the Galaxy's silly harmless stinger, I'm not surprised by peoples confusion with end credit scenes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JohnnySavs posted:

Is season 2 worth watching? The casting and tone changes threw me; I only got as far as high school Hitler (though I actually liked that episode) before I gave up on it.

I think season 2 ramps up the insanity and hilarity. But if the second episode didn't work for you, I don't know if this is for you. Personally, it was the funniest thing I watched in a long stretch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

King of Bleh posted:

They do, but I won't spoil it here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

After rumors of a Howard the Duck reboot from Guardians of the Galaxy's silly harmless stinger, I'm not surprised by peoples confusion with end credit scenes.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if James Gunn really did want to reboot Howard the Duck. I don't think it's happening, but still.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Lurdiak posted:

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if James Gunn really did want to reboot Howard the Duck. I don't think it's happening, but still.

It can't be less boring then Agents of Shield.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I think he could probably even make it good, for that matter. It would be one of the least silly things about the plans Marvel has laid out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

I think he could probably even make it good, for that matter. It would be one of the least silly things about the plans Marvel has laid out.

The concept of the character is being a grumpy rear end in a top hat in a universe of superheroes that he thinks is stupid as poo poo, and also he happens to be a duck. That kinda sounds like James Gunn came up with it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

James Gunn made Tromeo and Juliet, i'd trust him implicitly with a Howard the Duck movie

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I haven't seen Tromeo and Juilet in a long time. I'm due for a rewatch

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I haven't seen Tromeo and Juilet in a long time. I'm due for a rewatch

i missed a midnight showing on 35mm recently and am still super bummed.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

James Gunn made Tromeo and Juliet, i'd trust him implicitly with a Howard the Duck movie
Gunn co-wrote the screenplay. Lloyd Kaufman directed it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, I completely forgot about Troma's existence. Do they still even make films?

It's one of those relics of stuff I loved in High School that I just totally forgot about over time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Man, I completely forgot about Troma's existence. Do they still even make films?

If I recall, they got bought out sometime before Punisher War Zone came out, and the new owner basically hated everything Troma stood for and dismantled them. It's part of the reason that movie blows.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

If I recall, they got bought out sometime before Punisher War Zone came out, and the new owner basically hated everything Troma stood for and dismantled them. It's part of the reason that movie blows.
On the other hand, no, Troma is still around, still doing more or less the same thing, has their own youtube channel on which you can watch much of their catalogue, and had nothing whatsoever to do with Punisher: War Zone (2008). Which actually owned.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I highly doubt Lloyd Kaufman would ever sell Troma.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Gunn co-wrote the screenplay. Lloyd Kaufman directed it.

Even this is arguable. Gunn wrote the screenplay alone. Kaufman even said "Is this iambic pentameter?" and Gunn lied and said "Absolutely." He was paid something like $500 for the script.

It's been hinted at that he got to direct a lot of the film under Kaufman's supervision.
Gunn has talked at length that his job was to set up the shots, direct the crew, and everything else while Lloyd ran around talking to the actors and extras about their motivations and other silly "fun" parts.

Gunn barely made money off the thing, but got paid with a huge amount of freedom and experience and could say he co-directed one of the studio's most successful films ever .

Edit: And Troma is definitely still around. Their website states they are actively looking for new talent and that Lloyd is going to be directing a new film in the near future.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 3, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And Lloyd is one of the coolest and most energetic guys in the business. He makes Stan Lee look humble. Watching Lloyd off stage on a press junket is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

What are some good Netflix-available tragedies, in the "protagonist gradually undone by their own flaws" sense? Movies and shows are both fine. Obvious examples: Breaking Bad, the Long Good Friday, various Shakespeare adaptations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nolanar posted:

What are some good Netflix-available tragedies, in the "protagonist gradually undone by their own flaws" sense? Movies and shows are both fine. Obvious examples: Breaking Bad, the Long Good Friday, various Shakespeare adaptations.

Filth. Get on it, now. James McAvoy plays a bad cop in Scotland and is fantastic in it. Features depravity, heavy use of symbols and metaphor, and Terry Gilliamesque effects. I loved it. It also features the fantastically named (and figured) Imogen Poots.:swoon:

Edit
I hate the trailers for it and don't recommend watching them.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 3, 2015

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Nolanar posted:

Some of these are a little lighter in tone, but:

There Will Be Blood, The Master and Boogie Nights
The Conformist
The Aviator
Force Majeure
The Hurt Locker

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I think Anchor Bay is partially financing Troma now, or maybe it's just that they have the rights to distribute Troma on home video now, one of the two. As far as I know Kaufman's already shot the second half of the newest Nuke 'Em High film.

Is Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead still on Netflix? It's ridiculous and worth watching if it is.

Nolanar posted:

What are some good Netflix-available tragedies, in the "protagonist gradually undone by their own flaws" sense?

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover is a pretty good pick, I'd say. Though it's a Capital-A Art Film, so your mileage may vary.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nolanar posted:

Is Memento still up on Netflix? That's pretty much the definition of the movie.

Silky Slim
Jul 12, 2006
Makes a run for the gun circle....

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you ever get the chance to see Tears of The Black Tiger, watch that instead.

Tears of the Black Tiger rocks soooo hard. I bet that'd make a great Blu-ray. Is there a decent release of that anywhere?

Troma Chat: Troma is definitely somehow still alive & kicking and Lloyd Kaufman being a little poo poo is one of the greatest gifts to the art of film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jazqe5oh9MA

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was watching My Dinner With Andre recently and it was weird being reminded that Troma produced that movie and just left their name off of it. It's also weird to remember that Troma was the first company to bring Miyazaki movie's over to the US.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of Troma, they have about 150 of their movies up for free on their official YouTube channel as well as a shitton of other stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SubG posted:

On the other hand, no, Troma is still around, still doing more or less the same thing, has their own youtube channel on which you can watch much of their catalogue, and had nothing whatsoever to do with Punisher: War Zone (2008). Which actually owned.

Eh, I had some bad information.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Started watching the new season of Broadchurch. Still a really great show that repeatedly punches you in the gut.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nolanar posted:

Master of None, if you don't mind a comedy.

Oldboy is fantastic (the original Korean one)

Lady Vengeance is also fantastic, although the ending is up to interpretation.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
How in the world does Master of None fit that description

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hat Thoughts posted:

Eh, I don't think it really fits, but I can see how it could be perceived that way

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well there is that one episode where he screws his relationship up, but yeah it doesn't fit the description at all.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's the Netflix approach to recommendations. Just plonk it in anywhere and eventually you'll cave in and watch it regardless of whether it's related to the movies you've watched or not!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

If you were going to take TV comedies in response to that request, the Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret would be a much better choice.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Master of None, if you don't mind a comedy.

Oldboy is fantastic (the original Korean one)

Lady Vengeance is also fantastic, although the ending is up to interpretation.

I'm curious, were you not a fan of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance? It was the only one of the trilogy that you left out.

But regardless, other films that fit the bill would be The Double (loose adaption of a Dostoevsky book), In Bruges, The Hunt, Infernal Affairs, New World, and On the Road.

Obligatory television comedy recommendation: Always Sunny in Philadelphia

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Nolanar posted:

I don't know about netflix availability, but that definition is within a hair's breath of just being drama in general. It covers, like, most of Scorsese's films, and Francis Ford Coppola's (The Conversation (1974) is on netflix, and it counts, and everyone should watch it), and Frankenheimer's. It's pretty much the standard plot for the majority of revisionist Westerns, and something like 90% of the subset of those that are spaghetti Westerns. Pretty much any mad scientist film back to and including like Metropolis (1927), broadly, or canonically Whale's Frankenstein (1931), and most other Universal monster films to greater or lesser extent, and for that matter J. Searle Dawley's 1910 short for Edison that was the first screen adaptation of Shelley's novel.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nolanar posted:

Sunset Boulevard
Boogie Nights
Nymphomaniac
Lilo & Stitch

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Nolanar posted:

What are some good Netflix-available tragedies, in the "protagonist gradually undone by their own flaws" sense?
Holy poo poo, I almost forgot: SHOWGIRLS.

WATCH SHOWGIRLS.

I'm not even sure if Showgirls is still on Netflix as I own Showgirls in every available format. Autographed by Paul Verhoven. He wasn't happy about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Now there's a story I want to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I watched Ex Machina on prime last night. P good. Oscar Isaac is awesome. Dance scene was awesome. Ending was hilarious