Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do the specialized classes get access to new weapon types or is all the same 6 from the base classes?

The three base classes branch, one of the branches retains the base class's weapon (ie Samurai Gunner keeps Striker's Longsword/Assault Rifle), and the other branch introduces different weapons (Shield Trooper drops the Longsword/Assault Rifle for a Gatling Gun and Shield). The final tier retains the weapons from the previous tier.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Szmitten posted:

I'm super interested in how the disc version runs without any packs. The loadtimes didn't seem drastically worse to me in that comparison video, but I'd love to see a pop-in comparison or something. Or if enemies spawn inside you or anything equally drastic.

I don't have a video I can show you but out and about it's not too bad from what I've seen, tho it's fairly noticable. In New LA however it's super noticable in that things will phase in within 30 feet.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Honestly, I can't bring myself to care too much about the pop-in considering what Monolith pulled off. A 400kmē map without loading screens on the Wii U of all things is a goddamn technical miracle, and I'd really love to pick their brains on it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I added my name to the list, however I won't probably have the game till early next week because I didn't pay for fast shipping. Probably for the best since I have a huge paper due that I haven't started.

Edit: Anyone can feel free to add me, I just don't like mass adding myself.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 3, 2015

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Also added my name to the list.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also on the list, now just to wait for the purchase to unlock so that I can start downloading.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Black Stones posted:

Edit: Anyone can feel free to add me, I just don't like mass adding myself.

same, also on the list

e: removed it till i can verify what my nnid is

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've put my NNID up too :)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Put up my NNID on the list.

What time do games that have both a physical and digital release generally unlock, anyway? Midnight local?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
What are those items you get for completing one category in the collectopedia? I can't find them anywhere in my inventory.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a good breakdown of how the different classes play? The most I've been able to find are brief descriptions like in the OP.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Huh, interesting, you can sell items straight from your inventory, wherever you are. No need to have anyone around to sell them to. I'm not sure how that works, but I'm not complaining :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So what class would be good to start with for my MC if my favorite characters to play in Xenoblade are Melia, Seven decked out to maximize crits and Dunban?

Edit: I guess Commando looks good if I want to run with dodge-tanking, but I'm not sure which I'd run with for slamming down massive damage on enemies via huge DoT drains.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 3, 2015

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
You guys are aware you don't have to pick-and-stick to a class right?

Max out a class, move on to the next one, you'll still be able to use the maxed out class weapons and arts.
Max out all classes and switch back to drifter, custom it out to be whatever you want. (Drifter has 5 skill sockets, final forms of specialized classes have 4 skill sockets and a status buff)

I'm going to go Full Metal Jaguar first to get a specific dual-gun art that will probably be in all my builds ever.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Zombie Defiler posted:

Max out a class, move on to the next one, you'll still be able to use the maxed out class weapons and arts.
Max out all classes and switch back to drifter, custom it out to be whatever you want. (Drifter has 5 skill sockets, final forms of specialized classes have 4 skill sockets and a status buff)

I'm going to go Full Metal Jaguar first to get a specific dual-gun art that will probably be in all my builds ever.

Oh my god it's a job system, isn't it? :swoon:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Saigyouji posted:

Put up my NNID on the list.

What time do games that have both a physical and digital release generally unlock, anyway? Midnight local?

The game is unlocking at midnight est, regardless of what time it is for you locally.

And I've put my NNID on the list as well.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 3, 2015

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zombie Defiler posted:

I didn't know that, cool. Would you realistically be able to max out all classes before finishing the game?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Three hours in my main observation is that if you love hearing "on a whole different PLAAAAAAAA-NET" and "SLIDING SLINGER!" this game is for you

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't have a video I can show you but out and about it's not too bad from what I've seen, tho it's fairly noticable. In New LA however it's super noticable in that things will phase in within 30 feet.

I have the download pack and things pop in like ten feet away.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

The hitbox of this thing was, uh, not what I was expecting.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Sorry to repost but I didn't get an answer and I'm still not sure. If you preorder the game as a download on the eshop does it preload automatically or do I need to trigger something? The only downloads I saw in the eshop menus appeared to be for speeding up the disc version

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tender Bender posted:

I didn't know that, cool. Would you realistically be able to max out all classes before finishing the game?
Talking out of my rear end but if its anything like a normal jRPG design philosophy then no, you can probably finish the main story following the critical path with a branch or two complete and build-a-drifter is there for insane people grinding multiplayer for loot and exp.

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

Sorry to repost but I didn't get an answer and I'm still not sure. If you preorder the game as a download on the eshop does it preload automatically or do I need to trigger something? The only downloads I saw in the eshop menus appeared to be for speeding up the disc version

Check download management from the wii u menu. Mine started downloading immediately after purchasing the thing. If it didn't, just go back to the store page and just hit the download button there.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

TheTromboner posted:

Check download management from the wii u menu. Mine started downloading immediately after purchasing the thing. If it didn't, just go back to the store page and just hit the download button there.

To add onto this, you'll probably want to start preloading the game about well, now. It took about four hours for it to download for me, although it might be faster if you have an ethernet adapter.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

When I move near a person with a speech bubble over their head, there's a visual effect like a glint of light flying from them to me. What is this? The game didn't say anything about it, and I can't find anything in the manual, all it says about these people is that I'll overhear a conversation if I go near them, which is pretty obvious. I don't think it's an affinity thing, these people aren't named characters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

When I move near a person with a speech bubble over their head, there's a visual effect like a glint of light flying from them to me. What is this? The game didn't say anything about it, and I can't find anything in the manual, all it says about these people is that I'll overhear a conversation if I go near them, which is pretty obvious. I don't think it's an affinity thing, these people aren't named characters.

There are certain quests that are triggered when you overhear people talking about them.

e: Here.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 3, 2015

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Tender Bender posted:

From what I understand, yes? Maybe?
The game sort of expects you to go do side stuff and not blitz the main story (considering it MAKES YOU do some side content before allowing you to progress into the next story mission its like "HINT HINT")

Much of the actual world building story stuff apparently happens in side missions and not the big main event stuff.
So it is hard to really say how long it'll take you to finish out the game but from what I saw of a couple players they had 3 or so classes fully maxed when they had just grabbed their first Skell.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Terper posted:

No, that's Erin Fitzgerald, one of the voice options for a female main character. Lin's Cassandra Lee Morris.
Man even better

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So, 6 more hours till the game unlocks then?

Maybe I can get a nap in...

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, 6 more hours till the game unlocks then?

Maybe I can get a nap in...

On that note, does it unlock per region, or worldwide?
Like it'll soon be 00:00 04.12.2015 here, I guess it won't unlock until it's midnight in England, or something?

Been ages since the last time I bought a WiiU game on it's release date.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm interested in this game only if the story can be described as "extremely epic", is the plot anime enough to meet my needs?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think you get to fight god in this one so keep that in mind.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I could go for a JRPG where I don't fight a god as a final boss for once.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Motto posted:

There are certain quests that are triggered when you overhear people talking about them.

e: Here.

Oh, okay. It's kind of hard to tell that's what it is when it first starts happening, since none of the other stuff shown in that video is unlocked yet. I don't have the frontier map yet, and the "missions" option in the menu is greyed-out and unselectable.

I hope that when this stuff does get unlocked, I'll still have whatever quest info these random people I passed were apparently giving me!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh hey! :toot:
Purchased + downloading now.

e: Only getting like 1MB/s though. So I guess no Xenoblade for a bit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Control Volume posted:

I'm interested in this game only if the story can be described as "extremely epic", is the plot anime enough to meet my needs?

It literally opens with the earth being destroyed by 2 massive fleets of alien gundams which is pretty anime and epic I guess.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

It literally opens with the earth being destroyed by 2 massive fleets of alien gundams which is pretty anime and epic I guess.

I'm sold

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
The jumping might be jank as all hell, but I'm still having a lot of fun just parkouring around the Commercial district

Yeah! UH UH

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 4, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think you get to fight god in this one so keep that in mind.

I think Final Fantasy XII was the last JRPG I played where you didn't kill god.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Man I feel like there's so much I'm missing about combat in this game. They do such a crummy job of explaining things and the text explaining special moves is so drat tiny. I don't even know what to ask, I most just walk away with guns and walk forward with melee and occasionally hit some random skill and that works okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

Man I feel like there's so much I'm missing about combat in this game. They do such a crummy job of explaining things and the text explaining special moves is so drat tiny. I don't even know what to ask, I most just walk away with guns and walk forward with melee and occasionally hit some random skill and that works okay.

Hopefully as more people get the game, there will be a wiki page somewhere that breaks down the basics. Everyone has said Xenoblade X has very complex mechanics and none of it is explained well.

• Locked thread