Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

The amendment fails 47-52.
I hate this piece of poo poo government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

What are the Dakotas doing right?

Low population density and lower than the national average African-American population. I wouldn't call the latter "doing right," in as much as routine gun violence in America is mostly concentrated within African American communities of concentrated poverty.

If you look at Chicago's crime stats and remove all the gun violence which occurs in communities of concentrated poverty, Chicago is one of the top 5 safest cities in America.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Joementum posted:

We now move on to the Cornyn (R-TX) alternative to the Feinstein (D-CA) amendment. Feinstein's amendment prohibits people on the terror watchlist from buying guns. Cornyn's version instead adds a 72 hour delay to the purchase.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Low population density and lower than the national average African-American population. I wouldn't call the latter "doing right," in as much as routine gun violence in America is mostly concentrated within African American communities of concentrated poverty.
gently caress you.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

We now move on to the Cornyn (R-TX) alternative to the Feinstein (D-CA) amendment. Feinstein's amendment prohibits people on the terror watchlist from buying guns. Cornyn's version instead adds a 72 hour delay to the purchase.

That's loving ballsy.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Tbf it's tough to make this call if you aren't allowed to say the words "radical Islamic terrorism".

Jesus you're pissy. Every post is like a nine year old little sister taunting to get one over on someone. If you've got an arguement, make it. Otherwise :fuckoff:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Joementum posted:

HAAAAAahahahahahahahahhahaahhaaaa :suicide:

gently caress this dumb government

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Jesus you're pissy. Every post is like a nine year old little sister taunting to get one over on someone.

I mean, these are standard Republican speaking practices

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Joementum posted:

Jesus. Do any governmental organizations treat substance abuse and mental health?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

None of these really matter.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
As much as I'd like to read 2100 new posts in 48 hours, could I just get the abridged version? What'd I miss besides a 14 death shooting in California?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

As much as I'd like to read 2100 new posts in 48 hours, could I just get the abridged version? What'd I miss besides a 14 death shooting in California?

Muslims did it

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

Please explain how you'd implement "militant secularism", tia

You undermine hawks and MIC lobbyists by getting the US/Russia/China to destroy Daesh with hydrogen/neutron weapons. Force all ME nations to come to the table and share peaceful nuclear technology/talent. The President gives a speech explaining that America's greatest strength has been science and secularity. Europe drove out Jewish physicists and psychoanalyists because of backwards thinking - the USA took them in. Instead of executing or enslaving Nazi rocket engineers we made them citizens and went to the moon. E=MC^2 is more real, true, and powerful than any words in a holy book.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Aliquid posted:

gently caress you.

"Gun violence is an issue which disproportionately impacts individuals of color living in poverty" = "gently caress you."?

No wonder why #BlackLivesMatter activists are ignored. You say poverty is a problem, and folks tell you to gently caress off.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Apparently you can flim flam the Zim Zam.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

My Imaginary GF posted:

This is bullshit, the data is per capita and also includes states with even lower populations, yet high gun deaths (Wyoming)

McDowell posted:

You undermine hawks and MIC lobbyists by getting the US/Russia/China to destroy Daesh with hydrogen/neutron weapons. Force all ME nations to come to the table and share peaceful nuclear technology/talent. The President gives a speech explaining that America's greatest strength has been science and secularity. Europe drove out Jewish physicists and psychoanalyists because of backwards thinking - the USA took them in. Instead of executing or enslaving Nazi rocket engineers we made them citizens and went to the moon. E=MC^2 is more real, true, and powerful than any words in a holy book.

Ah, the old "nuke 'em and take their scientists" routine.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

The motion to waive on the Cornyn amendment fails 55-45, the amendment falls.

We now move on to the Feinstein amendment.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Muslims did it

That's your answer for everything. :colbert:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

greatn posted:

She did sleep with George Z so I'm inclined to believe she'd sleep with anyone. And uh, you could blurred out the number dude.

Your move, JonPop.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Talmonis posted:

Jesus you're pissy. Every post is like a nine year old little sister taunting to get one over on someone. If you've got an arguement, make it. Otherwise :fuckoff:

Is this an example of a "good" substantive post I should be aiming for?

And the point is, how can the administration protect us from a movement they steadfastly refuse to recognize or label.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

And the point is, how can the administration protect us from a movement they steadfastly reduce to recognize or label.

The point is that saying "radical islamic terrorists" doesn't magically do anything and the policies proposed by the Republicans would, if anything, only inflame an already delicate situation. This is what I was talking about earlier when I called Ted Cruz a fuckwit policy debater and you're more or less proving a good example of it.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

And the point is, how can the administration protect us from a movement they steadfastly refuse to recognize or label.

7,000 air strikes and 20,000 dead militants over the past year seems like a pretty effective method to me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Joementum posted:

So Conryn literally supports terrorism then, huh? :allears:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

the administration doesn't need to take any action, domestically, to protect americans from islamic terrorism because it's so rare

the fact that most americans are more scared of muslims than white people with guns just demonstrates how the the fears of many are just a bigoted farce

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"Obama isn't doing anything" is a media invention.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

______________/

But seriously, I'm right there with you. :smith::hf::smith:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

euphronius posted:

"Obama isn't doing anything" is a media invention.

It's hilarious the knots these right wing morons twist themselves into try and make some wierd point. Obama is both, "weak on terrorism and won't do anything" but is also preparing the FEMA Army to take all of your guns and deliver your mandatory AIDS injections...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hey remember when Obama asked congress for a war dec against Isis and they told him to gently caress off? http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/the-war-against-isis-will-go-undeclared/390618/

Yeah Obama doing nothing .

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the administration doesn't need to take any action, domestically, to protect americans from islamic terrorism because it's so rare

the fact that most americans are more scared of muslims than white people with guns just demonstrates how the the fears of many are just a bigoted farce

Especially when right wing white people with guns are responsible for the most number of both terrorist attacks and people killed in terrorist attacks in the last 10 or so years in the US.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

I thought it meant "I'm a huge dumbass with a child's grasp of politics"

Correct.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The point is that saying "radical islamic terrorists" doesn't magically do anything and the policies proposed by the Republicans would, if anything, only inflame an already delicate situation.

Let's not provoke ISIS because they might... hate us more?

This type of thinking is why literally every global hotspot is way worse now than 6 years ago.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grouchio posted:

Jesus. Do any governmental organizations treat substance abuse and mental health?

"Don't you see? These mass shootings are caused by lone wolf mentally ill people! WE HAVE GOT TO STOP THESE DERANGED PSYCHOPATHS IN ORDER TO PREVENT THESE HORRIBLE TRAGEDIES!"

*votes against all forms of support or aid for treating mental illness*

*sends a tweet of prayers for the victims of the latest mass shooting*

"There's nothing we can do." :shrug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The us can't unilaterally tucking take over and mulch Isis for two good reasons:

1. It would be horrifically expensive and long occupation that would be much better done multilaterally.
2. You got to get Russia on board.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Joementum posted:

To bad. NH and much of the Northeast is in the middle of heroin/opioid overdose crisis. The number of overdosed patients arriving in emergency rooms has doubled from last year in NH and the governor has called for a special session of the General Assembly to handle it.

A member of my town zoning board was arrested last year for reselling prescription pills and there's been a lot of overdoses this year.

But of course we cut our police's community outreach program.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

This type of thinking is why literally every global hotspot is way worse now than 6 years ago.

It's not about "provoking ISIS" it's about painting Islam, and it's 1.3 billion followers world wide in a dumb poo poo light, idiot. Like saying "radical islamic terrorist" doesn't magically make oyur policy towards them change. It's just a dumb rear end talking point the right has came up with because they don't or can't admit that Obama is bombing the absolute gently caress out of them.

In the days leading up to Paris, there had been something like 8000 total airstrikes flown in ISIS airspace over the last year, roughly 7000 of those were ours. We're confronting them at ever turn and engaged in a widespread campaign against them.

In short, you're being a disingenuous, idiotic, no-information or a troll.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

No, we don't sent regular troops against ISIS because they're a huge target and are a huge boon for recruitment.

Also the whole Russia / Syria thing.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
"Radical Islamic Terrorists" mainly exists because it lets the Islam stand out for those itching for the 10th Crusades, while the other parts soften enough that it can be claimed it's not on Islam itself. It's completely meaningless red meat for the base.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

That's not what he said you disingenuous moron.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

Hey remember when Obama asked congress for a war dec against Isis and they told him to gently caress off? http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/the-war-against-isis-will-go-undeclared/390618/

Yeah Obama doing nothing .

Oh yes, no one respects the division between the executive and legislative like Obama*

*when a fig leaf for inaction is needed like gitmo or Syria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In short, you're being a disingenuous, idiotic, no-information or a troll.

Why can't it be all of the above

• Locked thread