Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Ha, the combo of Ludo + Magnetic Tears is quite fun. Especially when combined with Death's Touch. Just watch everything get sucked down the garbage disposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Toxxupation posted:

What are the tiers, anyways?

Top: Isaac (with D6), Lilith, Samson
Good: Azazel, Cain, Judas, The Lost (with Holy Mantle)
Mediocre: ???, Lazarus
Bad: Magdalene, Keeper
Worthless Garbage: Eve

Eve is not a worthless character. She's always had the advantage of proccing Whore of Babylon at 1 red heart, which means if you bump into the devil (and you should) you can have it on constantly. With the Razor blade you can even have two heart containers and reduce yourself to one for an even bigger damage boost for boss fights and such.

Aside from that, this is such a moot discussion. Play with the characters you like, there's no right or wrong there.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Feel free to skip today's daily. It's tedious and uninteresting.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
??? may not be the worst character, but he sure is the most boring designed . Nothing special, just a disadvantage.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I disagree. I like the leeway that you get for devil rooms.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
How does anyone think Eve is a bad character? She has the whore of babylon to start, and now she gets the razor blade.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TheModernAmerican posted:

How does anyone think Eve is a bad character? She has the whore of babylon to start, and now she gets the razor blade.

She needs Whore of Babylon active to get to the same damage as Judas, with the same number of hearts, with 3 fewer coins and no Book of Belial. And even then her lower multiplier will mean that she will do less damage again the instant you pick up a +damage item.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Ariong posted:

I disagree. I like the leeway that you get for devil rooms.

yeah so you can find brimstone while you only have 3 hearts

MrL_JaKiri posted:

She needs Whore of Babylon active to get to the same damage as Judas, with the same number of hearts, with 3 fewer coins and no Book of Belial. And even then her lower multiplier will mean that she will do less damage again the instant you pick up a +damage item.

FACT: eve does more damage than judas w/whore up. and also the damage penalty is gone when that is active!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just rank them by how fun they are to play. Isaac is Maximum Fun. Azazel, Lilith, Eden, and Judas are Very Fun. Cain, Eve, Samson, and the Lost are Sometimes Fun. ??? and Lazarus are Not Very Fun. Magdalene and the Keeper are Hot Wet Nasty Trash.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Maw of the Void's ring can trigger contact damage effects like E. Coli. Fun!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Toadsmash posted:

Maw of the Void's ring can trigger contact damage effects like E. Coli. Fun!

It can also carry some tear effects, like Spoonbender. Maw of the Void is incredibly strong and good.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

VineST posted:

FACT: eve does more damage than judas w/whore up. and also the damage penalty is gone when that is active!

Judas's damage multiplier is 1.35, compared to Eve's 1.0 even with Whore active (0.75 without it). The damage formula is:

Mult*Base*SQRT(1 + 1.2*(bonuses)).

The break even point - when Judas catches up to Eve - can be easily calculated (1.352*(1+1.2x) = (1+1.2*(x+1.5))) to be +0.99 damage. ie, get a +1 damage up and Judas does more damage. Before that, Judas does 4.725 and Eve does 5.86.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AntiPseudonym posted:

So... has anyone else had invisible Guts' in their game? I've had it for about a week now, but I haven't heard anyone else talking about it so I don't know if it's just me. The ones that are more of a light red color show up fine, but every other guts has been invisible for some reason.

Isn't that just a new type of champion? They go sort of predator-style invisible and if you kill them there's a high chance of a random rune dropping.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I don't see how saying Eve is worse than Judas is an argument for Eve being a bad character. Like, Isaac is better than Judas so clearly Judas is bad?

Being a bit worse than one of the best characters doesn't make someone bad.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 3, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eve's better than Judas because Eve is a lot faster, making it easier to dodge poo poo and actually get to spend her hearts on devil deals.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Eve is pretty fun now that Babylon is buffed from how it used to work, and she also gets the razor. Judas is just more fun because he has mega damage out the door, boosted further by Belial, increased Devil Deals, and has a bit of a fun risk with only one heart.

Eve is sort of tainted because in flash Isaac she was just TERRIBLE for the longest time, and wasn't much better for Rebirth. With razor she's now someone I'll gladly play if the roulette option lands on her.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Am I the only one who finds Cain to be the most OP? Obviously Isaac + D6 is good, but if you beat Greed mode, Cain starts off with the Paper Clip. You can really get some amazing runs going on pure luck with him.

Greed mode with Cain to unlock starting paperclip?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Personal Tiers:

S: Isaac (with D6)
A: Azazel, Lilith, Samson
B: Eden, Judas, Cain, Eve
B-: The Lost (with Holy Mantle)
C: Maggy, Second Life Lazarus
D: ???, First Life Lazarus
F: Keeper

Although if it's straight up "am I going to be able to kill a mega boss in this run" the lost goes down to D because of the Hush fight.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What did the 20mb patch from last night do?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

Personal Tiers:

S: Isaac (with D6)
A: Azazel, Lilith, Samson
B: Eden, Judas, Cain, Eve
B-: The Lost (with Holy Mantle)
C: Maggy, Second Life Lazarus
D: ???, First Life Lazarus
F: Keeper

Although if it's straight up "am I going to be able to kill a mega boss in this run" the lost goes down to D because of the Hush fight.

Yeah this is what I would rank the characters at too, aside from Eden. I wouldn't rank Eden as anything because they run the gamut on any given play.

Like I've said, I enjoy Keepers gimmick. But those starting stats are rough. I'd really like to rate him higher than blue baby or lazarus 1 but theres no way it can be done.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 3, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I actually don't like Azazel too much. Yeah he's strong out of the gate, but his brimstone effect is short ranged and there's not much that affects it, although I recently discovered that My Reflection doubles his brimstone length at the cost of making it essentially the homing shot from gun in Fifth Element and it'll bend to keep targetting the initial endpoint.

You can just get so much more crazy combos with Isaac, and that's a big part of why I play.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Super bum is pretty sweet (I think he's behind me somewhere)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm annoyed by playing as Eve now because when I unlocked the Razor Blade for her it just... didn't give it to her. Now it SAYS she has it on the title screen, but she doesn't. :geno:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Volt Catfish posted:

What did the 20mb patch from last night do?

I would also like to know this.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CJacobs posted:

I'm annoyed by playing as Eve now because when I unlocked the Razor Blade for her it just... didn't give it to her. Now it SAYS she has it on the title screen, but she doesn't. :geno:

Have you actually unlocked the razor blade regularly?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Lost with mantle is fun and mostly fair and but there is no way he is better than any non-keeper character.

Put it like this: if you had your life on the line and had to get a 3 streak, would you really pick lost over maggy or laz?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

have they said anything about the playstation version of afterbirth?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

flatluigi posted:

Have you actually unlocked the razor blade regularly?

I have not, and that's such a dumb oversight that I bet that's the reason why.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Zo posted:

Lost with mantle is fun and mostly fair and but there is no way he is better than any non-keeper character.

Free devil deals, more likely to get them because of Holy Mantle, starts with flying. I only play the Lost nowadays (what with 1001% complete)

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Free devil deals, more likely to get them because of Holy Mantle, starts with flying. I only play the Lost nowadays (what with 1001% complete)

That just means lost is fun, which i mentioned already, and is totally divorced from being stronger or not.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Invader Zim has aged well so I'm afraid to watch it again, and I'll probably never read the new comic, but this is from it:

There's a follow-up page as well but it's annoying to pull up and upload on my phone. You can find it on Reddit.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

CJacobs posted:

I have not, and that's such a dumb oversight that I bet that's the reason why.

It is. It's like how Lilith lists that she starts with Cambion Conception, but she doesn't actually until you've unlocked it (unlike Box of Friends, which she does start with before you unlock it).

Edit: Apparently Edmund is considering not interacting with the community anymore, which is probably a good thing since he's so bad at it. Of course he's painting everyone who disagrees with him as "toxic" and those who agree with him as "defending logic" so there's that...

senrath fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 4, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

senrath posted:

It is. It's like how Lilith lists that she starts with Cambion Conception, but she doesn't actually until you've unlocked it (unlike Box of Friends, which she does start with before you unlock it).

Yes, and she doesn't actually start with an incubus, it's just a hardcoded part of her character. If you respawn as another character it will be gone.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Why are the post-its all screwed up in this? It shows me as having completed stuff I clearly haven't. Like with Lilith I forgot I hadn't done boss rush with her and forgot that I still had to clear Chest as Keeper. But it shows them as done I don't know why.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The original save import function was really bugged (at least one person reported having completion marks for the Keeper as soon as they unlocked him). I don't know if they ever actually fixed it, to be honest.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Kawalimus posted:

Why are the post-its all screwed up in this? It shows me as having completed stuff I clearly haven't. Like with Lilith I forgot I hadn't done boss rush with her and forgot that I still had to clear Chest as Keeper. But it shows them as done I don't know why.

If you used the Rebirth import option early on it screwed up the post-its pretty heavily because Nicalis sucks at coding. You can fix it by either importing again and losing everything you've unlocked since, or finding a save manager that apparently is a thing that exists now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

senrath posted:

The original save import function was really bugged (at least one person reported having completion marks for the Keeper as soon as they unlocked him). I don't know if they ever actually fixed it, to be honest.

They fixed it like a day after release (if even that long) but you had to re-import your save because it couldn't get retroactively fixed, so people who kept playing a ton without reimporting are kinda hosed over

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't really mind redoing completion marks. It's just playing the game, and I was going to do that anyway. I am missing Dark Room with The Lost, but that's the only annoying one, and not that bad with Holy Mantle.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Judas's damage multiplier is 1.35, compared to Eve's 1.0 even with Whore active (0.75 without it). The damage formula is:

Mult*Base*SQRT(1 + 1.2*(bonuses)).

The break even point - when Judas catches up to Eve - can be easily calculated (1.352*(1+1.2x) = (1+1.2*(x+1.5))) to be +0.99 damage. ie, get a +1 damage up and Judas does more damage. Before that, Judas does 4.725 and Eve does 5.86.

If running those calculations every time you wonder something about DPS doesn't sound exciting, check out my webpage where you can click buttons and it tells you the answer

i just realized that I never put in the thing where eve's multiplier goes up with whore active. just keep yourself as isaac to account for that.

also it's missing afterbirth items and some of the rebirth items that were harder to calculate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
drat it, had a good thing going with the Daily with a bunch of dmg ups and tears ups, but going for a good time I played way too recklessly and got killed by a stray bullet in Flooded Caves. I consider myself a pretty good player, but the Daily challenges just hand my rear end to me for whatever reason.

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't really mind redoing completion marks. It's just playing the game, and I was going to do that anyway. I am missing Dark Room with The Lost, but that's the only annoying one, and not that bad with Holy Mantle.

Same here. Aside from playing the Lost completion marks before Holy Mantle was available, I had a pretty good time completing them all over again.

The Challenges page actually has the same problem, but it's surprisingly refreshing to play them again, too. Especially since I've done everything else.