Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Here I was, thinking I was getting good when I could detail the astromech on my Xs.

Do you know if the squad symbol is a decal or freehand?

E: quote for new page

ZenMastaT posted:

This is a thing that exists!

It's not too cheap though I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq_xpkL72U0

So many rules wrong....

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 3, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So is there like, a good batrep person on Youtube? I really like a lot of the production value on some of them (I've seen a few where they do overlays showing upgrade cards/etc), but some of them are just really offputting. I wanted to like this German dude who calls himself Thrawn, but after watching one or two videos of him (one against someone who was fairly new to the game and Thrawn either mistakenly didn't correct him when the dude forgot to roll his extra attack/defense dice due to being in range 1 or 3 or he was cheating by omitting it) I get the feeling he's probably kindof a dick to play against. He also has the most annoying way of saying "e-VADE-d" each time he evades an attack.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

grassy gnoll posted:

Here I was, thinking I was getting good when I could detail the astromech on my Xs.

Do you know if the squad symbol is a decal or freehand?

E: quote for new page

I'm not sure but I'd guess decal cause I know he has some facility to print his own.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Drone posted:

So is there like, a good batrep person on Youtube? I really like a lot of the production value on some of them (I've seen a few where they do overlays showing upgrade cards/etc), but some of them are just really offputting. I wanted to like this German dude who calls himself Thrawn, but after watching one or two videos of him (one against someone who was fairly new to the game and Thrawn either mistakenly didn't correct him when the dude forgot to roll his extra attack/defense dice due to being in range 1 or 3 or he was cheating by omitting it) I get the feeling he's probably kindof a dick to play against. He also has the most annoying way of saying "e-VADE-d" each time he evades an attack.

Team Covenant's stuff is great, but they don't do as many as (I think) they should.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So far: Using EI as PtL
Proximity mines affecting multiple units/not blowing up immediately
Using a Mangler from an Auxiliary Fire Arc
Completely ignoring firing arc for Advanced Homing Missiles
Tactician working at range 3
TIE Firing even on an asteroid, even though they correctly prevented the Firespray from firing due to landing on an asteroid :psyduck:
Getting an action (dropping a bomb) even after running through an asteroid
Immediate detonation of Conner Net not occurring (although, to be fair, the Conner Net rules are a clusterfuck)
Removing only one ion token from the TIE Punisher when it had two
This is more of a wrong move than anything: re-rolling a focus symbol with a target lock when he had a focus token
Completely ignores the text of a crit card, rolling 2 evade instead of only 1
A ship not getting to fire because it bumped even though it isn't in base contact anymore

That's it

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 3, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Drone posted:

I findThese Aussies are pretty good and these Canucks are too

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

There's also this guy.

Basically, good X-Wing batreps are recorded tournament games.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

I just get a headache looking at that playmat. Great choice for a video, guys.

Shelled out for another Most Wanted pack and an extra Khiraxz today. At the rate this game is going, I might just stick with scum. I have Rebel and Imperial ships that haven't seen a game in months : (
Rebel playing style is the one that suits me the least at this moment, but I'm hesitant to sell stuff, especially since I might lose some good upgrades. On the other hand, when someone comes over to game, I can pretty much whip up any list. But I haven't picked up a K-wing, and in doubt if I should cancel my Gozanti pre-order.

Also; I use microhangars to transport and store my stuff. Really cuts down on storage space and I just use a lunchbox to store the hangars, tokens and dice.

Have a link http://sirwillibald.piratesoftatooine.de/?page_id=753&lang=en

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Wowshawk posted:

Also; I use microhangars to transport and store my stuff. Really cuts down on storage space and I just use a lunchbox to store the hangars, tokens and dice.

Have a link http://sirwillibald.piratesoftatooine.de/?page_id=753&lang=en

This looks loving traumatic

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
:confused: you can find these on boardgamegeek as well I think. Just google X-wing microhangars

My setup. All of the large ships in there except for the Hound's Tooth.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh are those the 3D printed boxes for individual figures? The 3D printer lab has had a non-functional public one for a semester now. :( maybe someone will fix it next sem.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Nope, no 3D. You can print this at home, just use some thicker paper. Cut it, fold it, glue it, hey presto, no more bent cannons. I spent an entire evening like a 5-year old with scissors and some glue to get my fleet boxed in.

Fold lines are simple and obvious, just score them with a blunt knife, that way they don't fold crooked. The guy from the link also designed some tuckboxes for damage decks, pilot cards and whatnot, but I just use my binder or a deckbox when I'm going to a tourney.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Why not just proxy them as is, and paint them a different color to distinguish them from any other T-65s you might run?

Partly because my dedication to this game has transcended mere money and now demands my labor as well, but mostly because I know that'll throw people off. It would be a dick move in a casual game, and probably verboten in less casual settings. Whereas if the wings were closed, at least it would have the same silhouette as a z-95. If I gave it blue stripes, most people probably wouldn't even notice it at first glance.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Wowshawk posted:

I just get a headache looking at that playmat. Great choice for a video, guys.

This was my thought as well. I truly hate overly-designed playmats.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wowshawk posted:

Nope, no 3D. You can print this at home, just use some thicker paper. Cut it, fold it, glue it, hey presto, no more bent cannons. I spent an entire evening like a 5-year old with scissors and some glue to get my fleet boxed in.

Fold lines are simple and obvious, just score them with a blunt knife, that way they don't fold crooked. The guy from the link also designed some tuckboxes for damage decks, pilot cards and whatnot, but I just use my binder or a deckbox when I'm going to a tourney.

Oh neat I'll look into it. I'm always looking for more efficient ways to make portable lunchbox box tournament ready kits. :)

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

enigmahfc posted:

This was my thought as well. I truly hate overly-designed playmats.

That's the "store mat" at one of the FLGS's that I go to...often referred to as the Hard Mode mat.

Any game on it often involves numerous asteroid crashes, because it's easy to lose the placed asteroids in the chaos of the background.

That mat is horrible.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pyronic posted:

So many rules wrong....

How many videos do you guys figure it'll take before we see MWG release a batrep with no rules errors? Like, what is this? The 6th video? Why is it called Ep 17?! Anyway, the rules aren't even that complex, how have these guys not ironed out their understanding of how to play by video six?!

:psyboom:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

How many videos do you guys figure it'll take before we see MWG release a batrep with no rules errors? Like, what is this? The 6th video? Why is it called Ep 17?! Anyway, the rules aren't even that complex, how have these guys not ironed out their understanding of how to play by video six?!

:psyboom:

They do 2 every time but the other one is behind a paywall that idiots pay money for.

I think they'll get it right when they get a player to play against them that knows the rules.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Saalkin posted:

They do 2 every time but the other one is behind a paywall that idiots pay money for.

Ahahahahahahahaha

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh neat I'll look into it. I'm always looking for more efficient ways to make portable lunchbox box tournament ready kits. :)

I'm a big fan. The Falcon and the Decimator box are the only ones I feel iffy about, you have to angle the ships in for a snug fit, and I'm a bit worried about the turrets. But I went to plenty tourneys without any bent or broken stuff, so the small ship ones are fine. Also they look like neat little matchboxes :3:

Now to make a list with at least two Y-wings, cause I love those things but I fly them like an rear end in a top hat. Anybody got tips?

I'm thinking;

-Drea Renthal with blaster turret and R4-B11, although I'm not really sure of the synergy
-Kavil with unhinged, EU, predator and autoblaster turret (feels wonky, I want to use predator to get at least 2 re-roll)
-three Z's.

clocks in at 99 points, not really competitive, but I want to make those Y's work, dammit

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Don't use blaster turret with drea. I love using drea personally and she works well with proton torpedoes and either TLTs or Ion turrets and r4-b11, you then get a target lock and get as much stress on her as possible :q:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh btw the reason you don't want the blaster turret is that it means you can't just load up on the stress, which is the most fun thing about drea.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Yup! Thanks! Reason I chose blaster is because I'm not really a fan? of tlt, and kind of dismissed the Ion turret. I'll give it a whirl.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I want to use Hobbie. Here is how I'm going to try and use Hobbie.

Wes Jansen (29) [33]
Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

"Dutch" Vander (23) [37]
R5-K6 (2)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Plasma Torpedo (3)
Bomb Loadout (0)
Connor Net (4)

"Hobbie" Klivian (25) [30]
Opportunist (4)
R2-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

The idea here is for Hobbie to move and take a focus. Dutch moves and gives out a Target Lock to Hobbie. Wes moves and Pushes the Limit to take a TL and focus. Wes fires and strips a token from the target. Dutch fires, and strips more tokens while also playing crowd control. Then Hobbie fires, lights off opportunist on the now tokenless target, and spends his target lock in order to clear the stress he just generated. End result is one X-wing attacking with three dice with TL and focus, one Y-wing with an Ion Cannon, and one X-wing with four dice with TL and focus.

I hate how I can't finagle the upgrades to give Hobbie a better Astromech for some EI fun, but him not having a native EPT really sucks.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Weird, I didn't know dutch was an x-wing pilot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In my dreams he is. :negative:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Anyone know of a good A-wing focused list, is that even possible? I kinda want to learn to do more rebel stuff other than Xwinging. I mean a 2 A-wing + Bwing setup maybe seems like its got enough firepower but i dont know if they can keep their damage going.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
4x Green Squadron Pilot (19) [25]
Chardaan Refit (-2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Outmaneuver (3) or Predator (3)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

4x Green Squadron Pilot (19) [25]
Chardaan Refit (-2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Outmaneuver (3) or Predator (3)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!31:18,72:7:15:U.56;31:18,72:7:15:U.56;31:18,72:7:15:U.56;31:18,72:7:15:U.56

This looks hilarious.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You either win or the game goes to time, especially if you focus evade every turn. Predator would probably be more useful if you do that. If you're committed to arc-dodging with boost, Outmaneuver works better.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

You either win or the game goes to time, especially if you focus evade every turn. Predator would probably be more useful if you do that. If you're committed to arc-dodging with boost, Outmaneuver works better.

I'm way more used to imperial arc dodging to be honest but its not like im going to be bringing it to tournaments or anything so i can try whatever out.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I like Predator with that list, because low-PS means you're going to have a tough time arc-dodging.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

kingcom posted:

Anyone know of a good A-wing focused list, is that even possible? I kinda want to learn to do more rebel stuff other than Xwinging. I mean a 2 A-wing + Bwing setup maybe seems like its got enough firepower but i dont know if they can keep their damage going.

Posted a few pages back: AABY. Took it to a mini tourney and went 3-1, does well in the meta, and it fun to fly.

Y-Wing: Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
B-Wing: Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Fire Control System (2)
A-Wing: · Jake Farrell (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Push The Limit (3)
A-Wing: Prototype Pilot (17)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Autothrusters (2)
-- TOTAL ------- 98/100p.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

hoiyes posted:

Posted a few pages back: AABY. Took it to a mini tourney and went 3-1, does well in the meta, and it fun to fly.

Twin Laser Turret (6)
Fire Control System (2)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Push The Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Autothrusters (2)

So newbie question, but what's the point of the Chardaan Refit if your entire list comes to 100/100 points without it? Just to be able to get initiative?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Drone posted:

So newbie question, but what's the point of the Chardaan Refit if your entire list comes to 100/100 points without it? Just to be able to get initiative?

Pretty much, yeah. With that list it probably won't matter, but you might as well take it.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The initiative bid is vital for Jake at PS9, as he's the list's main counter to Arc dodgers (read Soontir), and you want to give them initiative if they have Soontir so he moves first, otherwise forget ever getting him in arc at range 1. If I didn't care about initiative I'd probably throw an Astromech on the Y.

I think the list is fun because there's a real cat and mouse game as Jake stalks his target with his Prockets.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

hoiyes posted:

Twin Laser Turret (6)
Fire Control System (2)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Proton Rockets (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Push The Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Autothrusters (2)
I'm wondering whether the astromech on the Y might be better than the FCS on the B-wing?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'd put Advanced Sensors on the B-Wing. FCS presupposes engaging the same target twice and AS allows you to dodge rocks better by Barrel Rolling before moving and Focus before K-Turning. The Y doesn't need an Astromech with the TLT.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I disagree, even if the 2 point bid wasn't as important as it is (standard VI vader palp soontir comes in at 99), I'd still prefer FCS as you can pull off 4 dice TL + focus easily against slower targets, and with the prototype corralling the slipperier ships you can still usually do a range 3 then range 1. As for dodging asteroids, just do it after you move, and still have a potentially useful target lock.

Incidently, the list you posted a while back was the inspiration for this list, except I found Miranda a little dull to fly (despite the list being undefeated in casual play) so I swapped in Jake just to spice up the game a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've tried to answer my own question by reading the op, consulting Amazon and skimming over the thread, but I've failed to come up with something satisfactory - so sorry if I've missed it, I'm sure this gets asked a lot.

I'm planning on buying a present for my flatmate, who's into tabletop games and a big SW fan; this is kind of a boomerang present to be honest, as I'm also into the same stuff :) I'd like to get a base set (probably the Force Awakens one, just to celebrate) but I'd like also to expand a bit in order to have every player handling a bit more stuff.

So...
1) How many empire ship should I get to match rebels ones? Roughly double the number as per core set?
2) I'd also like to vary a bit, so IE: if I get an extra Y-wing or an A-wing, what should I get on the Empire side for it to be roughly equivalent in points?
3) Are the empire ship priced the same as rebel ones (IE: 1 ship costs around 10-12£)? Does this mean playing empire costs about twice as playing rebels?

• Locked thread