Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

D_Smart posted:

This is how I wrote it up last night, following your report

This is a good JIRA issue, short and concise. I would probably not class it as major though, seems like a minor to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Second the motion.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
All the constant ROTFLMAO! were huge red flags imo. No one actually says that

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The lawsuit is coming in a couple of weeks, settle down.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Two weeks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tokamak posted:

The lawsuit is coming in a couple of weeks, settle down.

Maybe but the question is will it be a 64bit or a 2*32bit lawsuit?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

No disrespect to Derek but I have no clue what he knows or what he intends to do so I don't see any point speculating how successful he'll be, I have no clue.

Neither do I. I just want to force them to do the three things I've been asking for. I don't care about anything else. And I'm quite confident that I will get them.

1) Financial accountability.

Where is the money going?

Is it being spent on the project or unjustly enriching croberts and co?

Is there any evidence of money laundering (given the Gizmondo connection to some of the people involved in this project)?

2) No questions asked refunds for everyone seeing as they have failed to deliver as promised.

Even as I type this, I received four more emails from people who are getting the shaft every day. One person with several accounts, two of which had $5K in them, reached out that after refunding one, they are trying to shaft him on the others by offering him less than making him whole.

3) A definitive delivery date for the project

FYI, croberts "no date" proclamation at CitizenCon is 100% illegal as per crowd-funding guidelines. And we've got him on the record saying that he's not going to give delivery dates. This despite then saying that the game was going to be completed and delivered in 2016.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
my best guess is that Derek's lawyers gave him an initial date of when the claim would go through, than they found some other loophole they had to deal with, and now they're just saying "it's ready when it's ready" and Derek has no idea when it's going to happen. Again, the analogies to CIG are too obvious to breakdown further.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
You know what I don't like about some of the "concepts" surrounding Star Citizens?

This sentence: "Almost 100 million crowdfunded!".

Which is at worst an outright lie, at best a silly marketing line. They crowdfunded 213,374 US$ from Kickstarter, now that, that's unqustionably crowdfunding, but then they got tens of millions in actualy investments, from, presumably, actual investors.

That's not bloody crowdfunding, that's just traditional startup funding, now, whatever they've gotten in donations, that would be more crowdfunding, well done.

But the sale of JPEGs? Is that really crowdfunding? Sounds more like pre-orders or some nonsense. Really is just a marketing scheme.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

If that was the case he would have said "the lawsuit in about to be filled in ~*two weeks*~ and :woof: told me to stop talking about it in public". He's just hoping this will be forgotten in midst of CIGs clowshow.

Personally I never had any expectations, I just take note of the claims made. No point in saying "oh he won't ever file that lawsuit" when he was writing those posts, just wait and call him out if he fails to deliver, same as with CIG.

So D_Smart, what gives?

It's hard to take anything you're saying seriously when there's so much FUD in your post. A lot of criticism against Derek Smart is very valid, but a lot of yours is merely subjective.

You just clearly were not prepared to contribute to a AAA-lawsuit being openly developed, and the amount of time that takes and the changes it may be subject to over the course of development is what it seems to me.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

So you won't be taking legal action then?

I never said that. I was referring to all the other commentary about what they're doing, not doing etc.

I tend not to make legal threats and then not follow through. Especially for something as serious as this and for which I have a lot to gain from seeing as I know, without a doubt, that I am right.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Derekwhen you say nothing further needs to be said do you mean blogs or do you mean being in here making GBS threads on the game with us, because that's not a life I'm ready to live.

I mean the incessant ramblings about all this ancillary bullshit related to the project.

I am writing another blog, but it won't be released until what's currently in the works, happens. It's going to be glorious.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Awww.. This thread is turning to poo and we still have no SC game where we can bonk pubbies for fun. Where will i get my daily SC entertainement ? Reddit ?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I actually know how much, but I am NDA'd against saying it. (only cuz I have seen the Game Awards pitch deck)

Yeah, so have I. Most of us in the industry actually have access to it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Neither do I. I just want to force them to do the three things I've been asking for. I don't care about anything else. And I'm quite confident that I will get them.

1) Financial accountability.

Where is the money going?

Is it being spent on the project or unjustly enriching croberts and co?

Is there any evidence of money laundering (given the Gizmondo connection to some of the people involved in this project)?

2) No questions asked refunds for everyone seeing as they have failed to deliver as promised.

Even as I type this, I received four more emails from people who are getting the shaft every day. One person with several accounts, two of which had $5K in them, reached out that after refunding one, they are trying to shaft him on the others by offering him less than making him whole.

3) A definitive delivery date for the project

FYI, croberts "no date" proclamation at CitizenCon is 100% illegal as per crowd-funding guidelines. And we've got him on the record saying that he's not going to give delivery dates. This despite then saying that the game was going to be completed and delivered in 2016.

And does this "forcing them to do the three things you've been asking for" entail actually - you know - doing something to force them or are you just going to sit back like the rest of us and wait for the whole thing to ripen an come crashing down on itself when it's good and rotten and then make a blog post taking the credit for it?

I'm not making any demands on you, it was you yourself that kept bringing the lawsuit they were about to get hit with, I'm just here to ask questions.

D_Smart posted:

I never said that. I was referring to all the other commentary about what they're doing, not doing etc.

I tend not to make legal threats and then not follow through. Especially for something as serious as this and for which I have a lot to gain from seeing as I know, without a doubt, that I am right.
You haven't said anything regarding the purported lawsuit in a gooooood while. What about saying something now instead of saying what it is you haven't said?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

aleksendr posted:

Awww.. This thread is turning to poo and we still have no SC game where we can bonk pubbies for fun. Where will i get my daily SC entertainement ? Reddit ?

Your imagination.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf4zCCjBwOA

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Laggy Mocap Animation Reel Gameplay Trailer!

I'm sure you noticed it said playable now!

But!

Bullshit. It was intentional. There was no new footage in that reel. And seeing as they didn't do a trailer like that for CitizenCon, and given the lead time for submitting this stuff to the awards, my guess is that they could have removed those frames, but didn't. Just another way to mislead people and to make it look like the game - as promised - was coming along and is in alpha.

Fact is, not even 10% of the game, or 1/100th of the game world exists today.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

So you will be taking legal action then? We're past every deadline that's been set- what's the new d-day?

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf4zCCjBwOA

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Laggy Mocap Animation Reel Gameplay Trailer!

I'm sure you noticed it said playable now!

But!

God drat it CIG, I spend one day making vague gestures in a positive way toward your tech demo and you go and loving lie to everyone on probably the biggest stage event of the year only to have your ministry of truth retract it the next morning. Look- I'm trying to maintain a stance that you have a decent game and lovely management, but there is a point at which management is so lovely that it is actively damaging the game. You've been across that line for a long time, and now it kind of looks like you're doing an end zone dance. "But we thought it was going to be out by now" is not a valid excuse. That poo poo is literally false advertising and the fact that nobody's sued you for it yet, or for your numerous internal cases of HR misconduct, is just your asses getting lucky.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

It's done.

Thank you!
This is awesome because now I have done more game dev than Chris this week year

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

You know, knowing what we know about the refunds process- there is no way this guy requested a refund in the last couple weeks. He was pulling out a month ago at least.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3vddwc/star_citizen_alpha_20_gameplay_trailer/

The biggest condemnation, to me, of both the game and the community, is that the fans perpetuate the lies that CIG tells. The trailer hit the front of /r/games and not a single one of the defenders/hype men in there are mentioning that you can't loving play it. Buy now me'lord!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

no_recall posted:

Well Star Citizen is a full fledged content creator now.

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0467761/?ref_=tt_dt_co
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3829948/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3472850/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Reality TV. We're all playing Star Citizen now. Its like "Where On Earth Is Carmen Sandiego.".

One might want to wonder what the bill was to CIG from Gemini 42.

You know they own Gemini 42, right?

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/646081970011697152

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

Maybe but the question is will it be a 64bit or a 2*32bit lawsuit?

7-bit ASCII

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Furism posted:

So I've been trying to download the PTU patch for several days now but every time my PC reboots for a Windows update or something, the download restarts. From scratch. I have 5 Mbps DSL line and this is a 29+ GB download. How hard is it to cache the content you already downloaded? For gently caress's sake.

They're not patching. They're pushing the entire client with each build.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Thank you!
This is awesome because now I have done more game dev than Chris this week year

Yeah, right. Do you have any idea how much guts it takes to look at years of work, scrap it all and do it again, because its just not perfect yet? Chris is a true visionary, a real man, not some dancing cat person thingy like you. He can destroy more in a single day of cocaine induced fury than you will ever create in your life, punk.

Godspeed to you Chris :patriot:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
ew, i watched Kiefer Sutherland accept a award on behalf of Kojima for MGS:TPP and the one handing him the award was pastyface chris roberts, i was utterly disgusted and im considering dropping money on star citizen so i can refund in retaliation of this assault on my senses after seeing his face

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I hope that's the case. I would hate to think that after all that bluster and bravado that DS would pull a Chris Roberts and fail to follow through on his own threats. I wouldn't be surprised though. Failing to meet expectations seems to be a central theme of the Star Citizen Experience.

I can't do that. I can get sued for publicly threatening a lawsuit and not following through.

And my attorneys have already made it clear to me that croberts would love nothing more than to embarrass me by pulling off a stunt like that. Even though it would go nowhere, and just accelerate my quest rather than have any effect.

I am deliberately not saying anything about legal action for a reason. It's now past the Nov 30th deadline. It's a process. And anyone who thinks that this is just about a lawsuit, really a) has no clue b) hasn't been paying attention to my blogs

No amount of goading or trolling me is going to change my stance. I'm not new at this.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dongattack posted:

ew, i watched Kiefer Sutherland accept a award on behalf of Kojima for MGS:TPP and the one handing him the award was pastyface chris roberts, i was utterly disgusted and im considering dropping money on star citizen so i can refund in retaliation of this assault on my senses after seeing his face

Was the award "best game movie director lifetime achievement"?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I'm a reddit superstar and I don't even need an account. :chord:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

I'm a reddit superstar and I don't even need an account. :chord:

cant wait to tell people i knew you before you were big

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I can't do that. I can get sued for publicly threatening a lawsuit and not following through.

So ... You don't plan to follow through with the lawsuit? I'm easily confused.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Stealth Like posted:

cant wait to tell people i knew you before you were big

«In my day people didn't just become chief butt monkey out of nowhere, we had to work at it god drat it!» :bahgawd:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Most people acknowledged that Croberts and Co posting that giant legal rant was a bad move, lets not pitchfork DSmart for keeping quiet.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

1) The camera intentionally inverts because that's how it was designed. You are flipping over in the final landing phase. The second and third videos show how the HAIS works. Check it out and let me know if you see any room for improvement http://lodmmo.com/mediapage/

2) Yeah, we fixed that already in the 00.09.06.05 build currently on the Dev Staging Server (public access to internal builds). The .06 build goes live later today anyway; so that fixed is rolled it.

If you put that box in for me Derek that will legit be my most impressive achievement in my life

It's done. I assigned it to my UI (we do these in Flash using Iggy). Will be in the .06 public and DSS build later today.

This is how I wrote it up last night, following your report

Also looking into the sound track issue as well; that should be an easy fix.

FYI. This is what's coming in the major aircraft unlock build. Sneak peak. Lighting and tone mapping not yet finished. Any you can ignore the skewed pov in one of the shots, that's from the editor, not the game client

[/quote]

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Across the road as i write this is a bush fire. I was playing SC 2.0.0g just before and my wife comes in yelling....fire! fire!. At the time i was manning a turret on a coni at a comms satellite. I looked out the window saw the bush fire, said to the wife welcome to Australia (She is Japanese) and kept playing.

TTerrible posted:

Most people acknowledged that Croberts and Co posting that giant legal rant was a bad move, lets not pitchfork DSmart for keeping quiet.

It was dumb, but also funny.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

And my attorneys have already made it clear to me that croberts would love nothing more than to embarrass me by pulling off a stunt like that. Even though it would go nowhere, and just accelerate my quest rather than have any effect.

I am deliberately not saying anything about legal action for a reason. It's now past the Nov 30th deadline. It's a process. And anyone who thinks that this is just about a lawsuit, really a) has no clue b) hasn't been paying attention to my blogs

No amount of goading or trolling me is going to change my stance. I'm not new at this.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's spilled milk so I guess your only option now is to... follow suit.

Please fill the speech bubbles where appropriate.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Angela Christine posted:

Your imagination.

Oh, that SC is frigging awesome. Its has 3/4 the depth of Eve, the dynamic music score of X-wing and Tie-Fighter, the NPC of Skyrim, minigames out of the wazoo and everyone at a multicrew ship station can contribute in and outside combat in a meaningfull way.

It even has a partnership with Foldit (https://fold.it/portal/), so that the people playing the science mini-game for SC credits and items actually help REAL science.

Everything that exist in the world outside the core 100+ startsystem ports and stations can be crafted and player owned. Outside that is the procedural generated "Verge", where everything is free for all and you can explore , colonise and visit hundred of thousand stars.

But this game will never exist.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Proudest moment of my life right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

I'm not pitchforking anyone but after reading two dozen 30 page blogs repeating the same "once they go over the original kickstarter November deadline that's when the lawsuits start so they are forced to reveal their accounting" I don't expect the issue to just never be mentioned again the same as ship pets or alien languages.

• Locked thread