Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Ok. I'll grab a longer controller cable and keep that next to me on the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This has good game feel. Everything feels fast, weapon switching has like no complicated animations it just does it, movement feels good and practical to switch between long and short range, and your team mates getting subtitles giving you tips is nice.

Holy poo poo NLA is loving beautiful, this music is so good

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Since Xenogears had Lucca in the house I'm still holding out hope for cameos from the entire (human) cast of xenogears. Also if you could beat some secret endgame bosses and unlock some old gears from that game I would lose my poo poo.

The only acceptable Chu Chu cameo is if she's a boss that you heartlessly murder. OMG also if you could get Grahf and OR Weltall maybe as dlc later....

*drool*

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
anybody know what potential does?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

Increases soul voice effects mostly, I believe

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Increases the amount of HP recovered by Soul Voices and Arts, and increases damage deatl by Tension Arts

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

Increases healing done, as well as increasing damage done by arts that use TP

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
Picking this up today and haven't been keeping up on the thread. Is this game pretty dense? I thought Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS wasn't too bad but everything I've seen for this game looks like it's much more complicated. What I'm really asking is, are there decent tutorials or does it just throw you in without much explanation?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

G-Whizard posted:

Picking this up today and haven't been keeping up on the thread. Is this game pretty dense? I thought Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS wasn't too bad but everything I've seen for this game looks like it's much more complicated. What I'm really asking is, are there decent tutorials or does it just throw you in without much explanation?

https://cdn03.nintendo-europe.com/m...oniclesX_EN.pdf

Read it and you'll have a way better understanding of things.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

G-Whizard posted:

The number 1 piece of advice for new players is "Read the manual."

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Is there a limit to the amount of normal missions you can get from npcs? I know at least there is a limit to basic missions.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm assuming you have off-tv play option for this, right

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

You do, but it's practically unplayable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, but the map is exclusively on the gamepad and you need it for stuff like fast travel.

Technically possible, but lovely.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Zore posted:

Yeah, but the map is exclusively on the gamepad and you need it for stuff like fast travel.

Technically possible, but lovely.

You can actually swap to the map in off-TV play mode, the main problem is that the text is so small as to be unreadable.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I just saw an npc mention that the gear you get from monsters is from the dudes they ate. I'm glad that's clear now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gamestop didn't have the guide till 1pm.if I knew that I would have had it shipped to my house :mad:

Edit: spent about 6 hours. Game is complicated on the surface. Once you play it's easy. That camera rotation speed is awful tho

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Oh god the side missions have me going after monster drops and I have no clue where any of them are. I need to get the guide now.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Has anyone completed The Ties That Bind yet? I can't find Headwater Cavern.

Edit: nevermind, just found it.

Dunban fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 4, 2015

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Went through character creation then saw one of the voice actors you can pick is Mary Elizabeth McGylnn, so that meant I made a ghost in the shell ripoff character.

1 hour in-ish so far game is fun, I now get that the combat is a bit more interactive than it appears from just watching videos, which makes me happy.

*ed*

Also early on "Forgive the inconvenience, please understand!" heh.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Gamestop didn't have the guide till 1pm.if I knew that I would have had it shipped to my house :mad:

Edit: spent about 6 hours. Game is complicated on the surface. Once you play it's easy. That camera rotation speed is awful tho

There's supposedly a bunch of camera settings somewhere that help with that. I wouldn't know for sure though, don't have the game as of yet.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I've only beaten the first 3 chapters so far so it may be too early to say this, but Lin is the best character in the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Reading the manual, I love how the tyrants have a crown near their name depending on how many players they've killed online. I hope the first tyrant you run into is a level 10 caterpillar that jumps people.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Welp I just recreated the Major (Kusanagi) with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as the voice.

GOTY.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm only 2 chapters in and I don't like anybody.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

What do i name my dude/dudette

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zooming the camera out (Hold L and use the right control stick) makes navigation way easier for me.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I turned cranked the camera reset speed up to max and that's helped a lot. I have no idea why it's defaulted to such a low speed.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
So I'm in the market for a new RPG. This looks good, but I'd prefer a more traditional battle system (have misgivings about the mmo-styled combat) and format and am leaning towards going all in on Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky as its got phenomenal reviews too. Which do you guys on this designated XBC thread think I should get?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Geek Out"
:allears: Lin's good.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
And here I thought I was clever for my Major Kusanagi character.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Kanpachi posted:

And here I thought I was clever for my Major Kusanagi character.

One of us, one of us.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol at all the Kusanagi characters

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People should be taking screencaps of their characters. I want to see the scope of the creator, as this will be a big factor in me putting the game on my wish list or not.

Also I need more animes.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Charlie Tunoku

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I went to pick up the special edition today and the Gamestop guy tried to sell me on the $35 strategy guide with "It comes with a free screen cleaner for your gamepad!"

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dishwasher posted:

So I'm in the market for a new RPG. This looks good, but I'd prefer a more traditional battle system (have misgivings about the mmo-styled combat) and format and am leaning towards going all in on Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky as its got phenomenal reviews too. Which do you guys on this designated XBC thread think I should get?

You've said it yourself in your post that you want a more traditional battle system which Trails in the Sky definitely has. It's a really great game so go ahead and pick that up and then buy this when your finished and feel like something different.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

People should be taking screencaps of their characters. I want to see the scope of the creator, as this will be a big factor in me putting the game on my wish list or not.

Also I need more animes.

Well if you insist.

Pulling the camera in any further than that is a pain, unfortunately, since your character fades from view after a couple of seconds.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I like that the dialogue options all boil down to "be normal" and "be an rear end in a top hat."

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I like that the dialogue options all boil down to "be normal" and "be an rear end in a top hat."

Don't forget the vitally important dialogue option "Geek Out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I picked Harrier because it said I got to fight tyrants and that means listening to uncontrollable mor

• Locked thread