Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

caligulamprey posted:

Holy poo poo, I almost forgot: SHOWGIRLS.

WATCH SHOWGIRLS.

I'm not even sure if Showgirls is still on Netflix as I own Showgirls in every available format. Autographed by Paul Verhoven. He wasn't happy about it.

Alas, it is no longer on Netflix, but I'm glad I caught it while it was up. For a film that destroyed the commercial viability of a whole MPAA rating, it's pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Nolanar posted:

What are some good Netflix-available tragedies, in the "protagonist gradually undone by their own flaws" sense? Movies and shows are both fine. Obvious examples: Breaking Bad, the Long Good Friday, various Shakespeare adaptations.

In addition to those already mentioned, Blue Ruin if you haven't seen it fits the bill in a similar way to those examples you posted.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kuddles posted:

In addition to those already mentioned, Blue Ruin if you haven't seen it fits the bill in a similar way to those examples you posted.

Blue Ruin owns!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Some stuff I've seen, others have been on my radar for a while, and others are brand new to me. Should keep me busy for a while.

SubG posted:

I don't know about netflix availability, but that definition is within a hair's breath of just being drama in general. It covers, like, most of Scorsese's films, and Francis Ford Coppola's (The Conversation (1974) is on netflix, and it counts, and everyone should watch it), and Frankenheimer's. It's pretty much the standard plot for the majority of revisionist Westerns, and something like 90% of the subset of those that are spaghetti Westerns. Pretty much any mad scientist film back to and including like Metropolis (1927), broadly, or canonically Whale's Frankenstein (1931), and most other Universal monster films to greater or lesser extent, and for that matter J. Searle Dawley's 1910 short for Edison that was the first screen adaptation of Shelley's novel.

I'm aware of how broad it is, but I wouldn't necessarily say it describes drama as a whole, given the "destruction of the main character" portion. The Conversation definitely counts (and owns), but I think Metropolis wouldn't count (though it also owns).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Now there's a story I want to hear.
Sadly there's not much too it: he was doing a signing for his book about Jesus and I just haaaaadddd to get my copy of Showgirls signed. The man wasn't rude in the slightest, but clearly he had an "I've seen some poo poo" look in his eyes after handing over my copy.

I'm not a big autograph guy, but there are exceptions. One time I took a bunch of acid, met Crispin Glover at a film screening and told him a story about how earlier in the day I had accidentally set my kitchen on fire, lost my cat when I opened the door to let all the smoke out and then spent hours searching and found her mewling under a tree in the rain. This was also on my birthday.

Dude signed my book "Happy birthday, I'm glad you found your cat!" A+.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Crispin Glover is an eccentric guy, but I recently saw a radio interview he did that really made me change my opinion of him. The reasons he was laying out for why he found Back to the Future distasteful and refused to do the sequel actually made a lot of sense to me. I guess Hollywood doesn't like actors sticking their nose in those kind of issues so he's always portrayed in the media as a completely over the top nutcase.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Crispin Glover is an eccentric guy, but I recently saw a radio interview he did that really made me change my opinion of him. The reasons he was laying out for why he found Back to the Future distasteful and refused to do the sequel actually made a lot of sense to me. I guess Hollywood doesn't like actors sticking their nose in those kind of issues so he's always portrayed in the media as a completely over the top nutcase.

Now there's another story I'd like to hear!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What were his reasons?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Basebf555 posted:

I think he talked about this some on The Nerdist podcast too. Might be worth a listen to anyone interested.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

I guess Hollywood doesn't like actors sticking their nose in those kind of issues so he's always portrayed in the media as a completely over the top nutcase.

That's not really a media thing, he actively cultivated that image for a while.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Clearly Crispin Glover's crowning achievement is writing a rap song about how much he loves jerking off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

What were his reasons?

He likes the movie as a whole, and it sounded like he had a fine time making it, but he had a huge problem with the ending. He thinks it sends the message that happiness is all about material things because the Mcfly's life hasn't really changed except they now drive nice cars and wear nicer clothes etc. I tend to agree with his point, it never consciously occurred to me as a kid watching it, but it really is a bad message to be sending.

He tried to talk it out with Zemekis and was basically told gently caress off just do your job and collect your paycheck.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Man, it really does seem like Letterman never got enough credit for being as hip as he was.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I will always delight in how Dave manages to keep his cool while still being clearly loving furious at the end of that clip.

PROFESSIONAL.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Man, it really does seem like Letterman never got enough credit for being as hip as he was.

Definitely. As an easy comparison, Howard Stern brought two women onto Leno to make-out and Leno imploded and had to walk off his own show. A short time later Stern brought two men to Letterman for the same reason and Dave just rolled with it and made it an entertaining appearance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A ton of weirdo comedians probably owe their careers to Letterman, from Pee-Wee Herman on down.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

By the time I was old enough to have opinions "late-night talk show host" felt like the lamest gig in the universe, it would have been interesting to come up when he was still vital

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

A ton of weirdo comedians probably owe their careers to Letterman, from Pee-Wee Herman on down.

Harvey Pekar of American Splendor as well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

He likes the movie as a whole, and it sounded like he had a fine time making it, but he had a huge problem with the ending. He thinks it sends the message that happiness is all about material things because the Mcfly's life hasn't really changed except they now drive nice cars and wear nicer clothes etc. I tend to agree with his point, it never consciously occurred to me as a kid watching it, but it really is a bad message to be sending.

He tried to talk it out with Zemekis and was basically told gently caress off just do your job and collect your paycheck.

OTOH Marty's life isn't terrible before, apart from Biff still bullying his dad and things just being really messy and chaotic because being poor kinda sucks like that.

Money doesn't solve all your problems but it solves some.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Well Marty's Dad isn't a cuckold pushover anymore and has a successful book series, so naturally their financial situation would at least in part reflect the patriarch's new persona.

Also all the McFly children seem to be in better positions in life too so it seems they were all raised better than before.

P.S. I'm sure this has been beaten to death but they introduced the reality of alternate timelines in the second movie and it just made me consider the fact that there's an alternate 1985 where Marty just went missing one day after the eccentric scientist he spent too much time with was murdered in the street and never returned.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

speshl guy posted:

Well Marty's Dad isn't a cuckold pushover anymore and has a successful book series, so naturally their financial situation would at least in part reflect the patriarch's new persona.

Also all the McFly children seem to be in better positions in life too so it seems they were all raised better than before.

P.S. I'm sure this has been beaten to death but they introduced the reality of alternate timelines in the second movie and it just made me consider the fact that there's an alternate 1985 where Marty just went missing one day after the eccentric scientist he spent too much time with was murdered in the street and never returned.

I had never thought of that one. I did just do some quick google-fu and math only to find out that Marty was born in 1968, and George was murdered in 1973, so it's pretty unlikely that Marty is actually Biff's son.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

OTOH Marty's life isn't terrible before, apart from Biff still bullying his dad and things just being really messy and chaotic because being poor kinda sucks like that.

Money doesn't solve all your problems but it solves some.

time and money are the two great solvers of problems so the BTTF ending holds water.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a looooot of focus on Marty's shiny new car and how nice the house is though. I agree with Glover that the focus didn't really need to be so much on material success.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Basebf555 posted:

There's a looooot of focus on Marty's shiny new car and how nice the house is though. I agree with Glover that the focus didn't really need to be so much on material success.

back to the future 2 is kind of an indictment of that ending tho

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That critique has been around since the movie came out, and Gale or Zemeckis concedes (I forget which one) that it's correct on the dvd commentary. Though it ignores that George and Lorraine are more confident and happier and that's why they are more successful.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ChineseConnection posted:

Harvey Pekar of American Splendor as well.

Wait, what? I'm blanking.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Though it ignores that George and Lorraine are more confident and happier and that's why they are more successful.

The focus is really on the cars and the clothes and the house, so to me that implies that they are happier and more confident because they are materially successful, and therefore have better self-esteem. I suppose you could see it both ways though.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Wait, what? I'm blanking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0akXKxbflM

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Consumerism, incest, misogyny, collusion with terrorists! !!

My my I believe this popular 1980's scifi film is morally compromised

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The reason I say that is because George's new career is one he followed because he had the guts to punch Biff and ask Lorraine out instead of being a passive creep--or that's what I remember.

Marty, on the other hand, is rewarded entirely with material things and totally fine with the trade-off of living the rest of his life with strangers who look just like his now-erased loved ones. Just look at that truck, new-timeline Jennifer! It's kind of like I killed the people I knew with my meddling and now you're here instead, but look at that truck!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

The reason I say that is because George's new career is one he followed because he had the guts to punch Biff and ask Lorraine out instead of being a passive creep--or that's what I remember.

Marty, on the other hand, is rewarded entirely with material things and totally fine with the trade-off of living the rest of his life with strangers who look just like his now-erased loved ones. Just look at that truck, new-timeline Jennifer! It's kind of like I killed the people I knew with my meddling and now you're here instead, but look at that truck!

Yea, you hit on the aspect of it that I think Glover was really talking about. Sorry, I actually haven't seen the whole movie in some years so its hard to remember all the details. I forgot that a big part of the story is George learning to stand up for himself.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jack Gladney posted:

With current theories though, Marty never actually returns to his home universe anyway, and in the universe where the Twin Pines Mall still exists, well:

speshl guy posted:

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I don't think Back to the Future ever really set out to challenge any moral or ethical quandaries and right from the start it was a gimmick film catered toward the interests of children. Not saying that's right or correct in doing so, but they did kind of address the issue with the second film.

Anyway back on topic, I know it's been on Netflix for a while but I finally decided to catch up on Spartacus after watching Blood and Sand and God's of the Arena way back in 2011. I never picked it back up again after Andy Whitfield died but Netflix kept suggesting it to me so I watched it to its conclusion.

In a lot of ways I felt Vengeance and War of the Damned retained a lot of campy, glorified violence and sexuality of the original series but at the same time it felt rushed and not as cathartic as the original series. I think they at times really glossed over the repercussions of Spartacus' actions and aside from having Spartacus make a serious/constipated face once in a while, he barely received any characterization.

I really liked Any Whitfield in the role and I wanted to give Liam a chance but whether it was his fault or the writers', he was basically indestructable and... boring... throughout the remainder of the series. Overall I had a lot of fun with it and glad I picked it back up, but I just wish we got a little more substance with our exploitation historical epic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Iron Crowned posted:

With current theories though, Marty never actually returns to his home universe anyway, and in the universe where the Twin Pines Mall still exists, well:

I guess that begs the question of "where did the New Timeline Marty go?"

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

computer parts posted:

I guess that begs the question of "where did the New Timeline Marty go?"

Doc and Marty are cursed to forever be drawn toward each other and travel through time in every possible alternate reality. In the span of one night on October 26, 1985, every possible Marty traveled to another timeline at once, and infinite iterations of Lorraine and George were greeted the next morning by a changeling Marty: a strange boy they had never known but identical to their son in every way.

Marty wakes up initially surprised at the state of affairs in the family and community, but quickly reconciles with his fate and, without remorse, assumes the role of a boy who will never return.

speshl guy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 4, 2015

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

speshl guy posted:

Doc and Marty are cursed to forever be drawn toward each other and travel through time in every possible alternate reality. In the span of one night on October 26, 1985, every possible Marty traveled to another timeline at once, and infinite iterations of Lorraine and George were greeted the next morning by a changeling Marty: a strange boy they had never known but identical to their son in every way.

Marty wakes up initially surprised at the state of affairs in the family and community, but quickly reconciles with his fate and, without remorse, assumes the role of a boy who will never return.

I would definitely watch a film based on that concept. It would definitely be an interesting psychological piece, from the perspective of both sides never really knowing what happened the night before, and the film never explicitly saying what happened beyond what Marty reveals through dialogue.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I would definitely watch a film based on that concept. It would definitely be an interesting psychological piece, from the perspective of both sides never really knowing what happened the night before, and the film never explicitly saying what happened beyond what Marty reveals through dialogue.

Yeah, that's an amazing concept for a time travel story, and if something like that exists, whether movie or book, I would love to experience it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Instead of talking about Back To The Future Time Travel Theories, can we talk about Darkman going up on Netflix and how much Darkman owns? Because Darkman owns, and I'd bet money it's the reason Sam Raimi directed the Spider-Man films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdeAhpIPhE

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Instead of talking about Back To The Future Time Travel Theories, can we talk about Darkman going up on Netflix and how much Darkman owns? Because Darkman owns, and I'd bet money it's the reason Sam Raimi directed the Spider-Man films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdeAhpIPhE

Darkman is also available on Youtube for those that are stuck with Amazon or Hulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38EPw5sxIaM

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, that's an amazing concept for a time travel story, and if something like that exists, whether movie or book, I would love to experience it.

I suggest checking out Source Code

speshl guy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

speshl guy posted:

I really liked Any Whitfield in the role and I wanted to give Liam a chance but whether it was his fault or the writers', he was basically indestructable and... boring... throughout the remainder of the series. Overall I had a lot of fun with it and glad I picked it back up, but I just wish we got a little more substance with our exploitation historical epic.

I feel like they were shooting for more of an epic hero approach in the latter two seasons. Spartacus has transcended his lowly gladiator status and become the myth of history we all know.

I found the bigger problem was they didn't ever really figure out how to approach the ultimate resolution of the slave revolt in a coherent way. You spend 3 seasons watching these characters get smarter and stronger and more clever in dealing with Rome, but it all still has to end with everyone dying and losing to the bad guys and the show kinda just went "welp" when they got there. So the whole series ends on this unsatisfying downer.

edit: also a want a whole show about the 3rd season's Caesar. He's so often depicted as this grand statesmen but the half-cocked rogue Spartacus went for would be right at home negotiating his own ransom with Coriscan pirates.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 4, 2015