Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Do you believe that the shooting in Charleston and Colorado were terrorism?

Sure, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torlo Hans
Apr 23, 2005

La familia es todo.
Dinosaur Gum
Remember when someone said if this was linked to ISIS, the country would lose it's God damned mind? Well this is what it looks like when the country is losing its God damned mind.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

What a coincidence that your standard for what constitutes radical Islamic terrorism is based on information which is completely unverifiable.

According to TDD's own standards, we will never know if this was terrorism. But of course, that doesn't stop anyone from claiming mind reading powers.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
OnTheMedia posted a response to today's events on twitter that nicely sums up this week:

https://twitter.com/onthemedia/status/672845013882155008

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Heard a report earlier that they released a statement basically saying "Wasn't us but good job guy!"

More specifically they congratulated the "three lions" involved in the attack, when the manhunt was still ongoing and law enforcement had announced they thought there were three suspects.

They didn't know poo poo about this or they would have known it was only two people (and they definitely wouldn't have accorded a woman "lion" status in any case).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torlo Hans posted:

Remember when someone said if this was linked to ISIS, the country would lose it's God damned mind? Well this is what it looks like when the country is losing its God damned mind.

So far, mostly the same except the media rifles through people's stuff.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

spacetoaster posted:

Is this something that's happening? I haven't heard of any lynchings of muslims in the south, but maybe you could link something for us?

I do know that anti-theists are liable to just up and shoot a bunch of muslim kids.

The current environment in the U.S. has become very concerning, with the front runner of one of the two major political parties calling for identification, tracking, internment, closing of mosques and killing the family members of terrorists. Saying these things hasn't hurt him, it's bolstered his support. The current (and former!) administration is doing it's best to avoid more murders and assaults than have already happened, by not jumping to conclusions before the evidence is in.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Then why does it matter if it's "radical islamic" or not?

Like that's the point. Saying "radical islamic terrorism" doesn't magically do anything, as we've explained to you a billion times, it's not as if the administration is not doing a good deal to combat terrorism being sponsored by ISIS. It's almost as if you don't /care/ about terrorists when they're not "islamic."

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

Also that's incredibly racist.

It's racist.... To categorize Islamic terrorism...as terrorism motivated by someone's islamic religious beliefs?

Do I have that right

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Torlo Hans posted:

Well this is what it looks like when the country is losing its God damned mind.

That is the whole point - people like Adam Lanza and this couple weren't just lashing out - they were intentionally trolling to create cultural dissonance. This is a more nuanced definition of terrorism than 'political/ideological violence', in my opinion

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
We're never going to get over 9/11 at this rate

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Torlo Hans posted:

No, it's not.

The Fort Hood shooter shot military personnel. The Boston bombers used explosives at a highly visible marathon. The country did not institute a ethnic cleansing or explode into uncontrollable civil unrest.

The 'Press' is being itself when it's given unfettered access to instant reporting gratification and people (at the house) are acting they way they do when you let people embrace their morbid curiosity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So then what about the pro life movement and right wing Christians.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

mdemone posted:

More specifically they congratulated the "three lions" involved in the attack, when the manhunt was still ongoing and law enforcement had announced they thought there were three suspects.

They didn't know poo poo about this or they would have known it was only two people (and they definitely wouldn't have accorded a woman "lion" status in any case).

Taqiya, bro.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

euphronius posted:

They were already married.

Also that's incredibly racist.

Even agreeing with you for the most part (it's certainly flippant), why is this racist? I thought it was a religious motivation for Islamic suicide attackers. Unless it's just bullshit propaganda that's been going about for the past 30 years.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Torlo Hans posted:

But this isn't linked to ISIS :confused:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It's racist.... To categorize Islamic terrorism...as terrorism motivated by someone's islamic religious beliefs?

Do I have that right

You reduced an incredibly complex and serious issue to a sophomoric slur.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Talmonis posted:

Not really. The motivations for a crime on that scale are essential to prevention. For example; a Palestinian member of Hamas blowing up an Israeli patrol isn't insane or a mass-murderer, though they are defined as terrorists, as they are without a recognized state.

State-sponsored terrorism is a very real thing that exists. Terrorism is in no way dependent on being carried out by a non state actor.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

You reduced an incredibly complex and serious issue to a sophomoric slur.

Where's the racism?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

State-sponsored terrorism is a very real thing that exists. Terrorism is in no way dependent on being carried out by a non state actor.

True, I had forgotten that. But I was under the impression that war on a nation without a state was considered terrorism by definiton as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Where's the racism?

Are you doing that right wing troll thing where you don't understand what words mean.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

euphronius posted:

Are you doing that right wing troll thing where you don't understand what words mean.

Yes, he is. Please stop responding to him. He isn't arguing in good faith.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

So then what about the pro life movement and right wing Christians.

What about them? They're certainly not comparable to groups like AQ or ISIS if that's what you're saying.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

euphronius posted:

He might be somewhat genuine on this question. It was sophmoric and too simplistic, and likely insulting (to the deceased at least so meh?) but I don't see how it's racism either. As again, isn't a major Jihadi suicide attack motivation the virgins in heaven bit?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The state of the press is so bad that Fox News seems to be the only ones who can mock other outlets for pilfering through the suspect's apartment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

McDowell posted:

That is the whole point - people like Adam Lanza and this couple weren't just lashing out - they were intentionally trolling to create cultural dissonance. This is a more nuanced definition of terrorism than 'political/ideological violence', in my opinion

I think Adam Lanza was, to use a technical term, just batshit insane.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Talmonis posted:

isn't a major Jihadi suicide attack motivation the virgins in heaven bit?

I am not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that's vastly overblown compared to the alienation, lack of hope, etc usually behind radicalization.

mcmagic posted:

Unlike this couple? Lanza just had a more American violent and insane ideology.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

I understand what racist means, I don't understand how my statements about a religious ideology are racist.

Feel free to explain how what I said could only apply to people of a specific race.

Of course, we both know you just hit the shiny red button without actually thinking it through, that's fine.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

Nah. Americans don't want to feel bad about themselves to realize there's little between themselves and that mass murderer within them. They just use mental illness to justify how "they're different from us".

Also I like how people who didn't give a poo poo four months ago are now "serious people" with "important opinions".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Nah. Americans don't want to feel bad about themselves to realize there's little between themselves and that mass murderer within them. They just use mental illness to justify how "they're different from us".

I refuse to believe that there is "a little" between an average american and someone who would slaughter 4 year olds.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

I disagree. He was a very antisocial member of the internet generation and I think he knew exactly what he was doing and the potential cultural effects.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

I refuse to believe that there is "a little" between an average american and someone who would slaughter 4 year olds.

consider how many americans proudly state their intentions to shoot 'burglars'

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Buglers /= 4 year olds.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

Buglers /= 4 year olds.

Black kids grow up fast and are Big and Intimidating

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Talmonis posted:

He might be somewhat genuine on this question. It was sophmoric and too simplistic, and likely insulting (to the deceased at least so meh?) but I don't see how it's racism either. As again, isn't a major Jihadi suicide attack motivation the virgins in heaven bit?

Talmonis posted:

I am not an expert in Islam but it's not virgins but Angels (or houri) and nor is the number in the Quaran. All Muslims who go to heaven are accompanied by angels.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I am not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that's vastly overblown compared to the alienation, lack of hope, etc usually behind radicalization.

That's what I'm wondering, if it's just propaganda that's been going on for a very long time. Though lack of hope doesn't really make sense in the San Bernadino shooting. They have a newborn baby, a steady job, etc. Alienation I can see, but it's not like you see any of the other immigrant groups that get poo poo on (Latino's especially) commiting mass shootings. Radicalization of second generation people with promising lives and educations is really bewildering.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Anecdotal but last week a coworker said we should nuke the middle east and several people agreed. I know it could be posturing and all but I don't think so.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Talmonis posted:

Radicalization of second generation people with promising lives and educations is really bewildering.

His wife had emigrated fairly recently.

Adam Lanza was just as sane as the 9/11 hijackers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

Buglers /= 4 year olds.

and how many people think byron david smith did nothing wrong

so long as you wantonly murder the right kind of people you're not mentally ill. it's almost like it's a rhetorical fig leaf to absolve blame or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Talmonis posted:

That's what I'm wondering, if it's just propaganda that's been going on for a very long time. Though lack of hope doesn't really make sense in the San Bernadino shooting. They have a newborn baby, a steady job, etc. Alienation I can see, but it's not like you see any of the other immigrant groups that get poo poo on (Latino's especially) commiting mass shootings. Radicalization of second generation people with promising lives and educations is really bewildering.

Latin America is not currently being destroyed by American forces and allies.

• Locked thread